COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

18 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I think I’m going to pass on the boosters. I had Covid about a month ago and while unpleasant, it was also pretty mild for the most part. I’m going to assume I’m immune for 8 months or so anyway, but what’s the rationale for those of you that don’t get very sick from Covid? It seems unnecessary. 

Well, here are some reasons I can think of:

• You get to feel slightly bad at a time of your choosing rather than getting sick when it may be less convenient
  • If you do get COVID, you lower the risk of passing it to people around you who may be at higher risk of complications

Similar rationale to a flu shot.  You reduce your personal odds of a bad case, you control the timing, and you help grandma make it through the winter.

Maybe you save a bed at a hospital and make lives a little easier for those that work there, by stopping someone else from having it at all.

21 hours ago, Marcusshelton said:

Is there a flow chart somewhere about what shots one needs right now? Vaccinated with two Modernas in April 2021. I got Covid in early November 2021.

45 years old and in pretty good shape with no medical issues. 

The CDC has info here with a little quiz you can take to determine when you may need a booster:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html

It asks about a "primary series" which means the first two shots you had and an "updated booster" which means the invariant boosters (Omicron plus classic COVID) that just came out.

• Hook 'Em 2

At this point I really don’t give a shit if people are vaccinated.  It has become like a flu, so I’ll get mine and make sure my kids get theirs but if someone wants to take their chances we’re past the pandemic stage.  

The weird thing is how much the anti vaccine cult has focused on this one.  The flu vaccine hasn’t ever provoked this level of furor, but now polio, measles, and who knows what else are going to find an opening because of misinformation.  That’s the sad part of this whole pissing match.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

• You get to feel slightly bad at a time of your choosing rather than getting sick when it may be less convenient
  • If you do get COVID, you lower the risk of passing it to people around you who may be at higher risk of complications

Similar rationale to a flu shot.  You reduce your personal odds of a bad case, you control the timing, and you help grandma make it through the winter.

Maybe you save a bed at a hospital and make lives a little easier for those that work there, by stopping someone else from having it at all.

I’m vaccinated, just not boosted. I have a hard time believing it stops the spread based on the fact that everyone I know is vaccinated and it spread like a wildfire. My grandma is on her 4th or 5th booster by this point. I’m not anti vaccine at all, I practically ran to get vaccinated. I just feel like we’re getting into silly territory at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I’m vaccinated, just not boosted. I have a hard time believing it stops the spread based on the fact that everyone I know is vaccinated and it spread like a wildfire. My grandma is on her 4th or 5th booster by this point. I’m not anti vaccine at all, I practically ran to get vaccinated. I just feel like we’re getting into silly territory at this point. 

Obviously everyone should make the best decision for themselves -- just trying to give reasons to get one at this point.

Unfortunately I think COVID is more like the flu than the measles.  It's not a one and done forever vaccine.  These waves of illness happen because a new variant pops up and people get it, which raises their immunity, which eventually stops the propagation.  Boosters help reduce propagation.  I think you body needs an occasional "refresher" to up the level of antibodies.

COVID will continue to mutate and one of those mutations may go right around the vaccine.  Or, it may not.  This is the game that the flu vaccine folks have been playing for a long time.

I had a chance in May to get in the car with my wife and get boosted.  I said no thanks.  I got COVID in late June at a company all-hands meeting, along with half my company.  Two people got everyone sick.  They were younger employees who had "allergies" and toughed it out to come to the meeting.  It bounced right off my boosted spouse.  I'm not passing up another chance to get a booster, although I'm trying to time mine based on my prior COVID dates and the likely time when it will protect me the most from an inevitable winter surge.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Obviously everyone should make the best decision for themselves -- just trying to give reasons to get one at this point.

Unfortunately I think COVID is more like the flu than the measles.  It's not a one and done forever vaccine.  These waves of illness happen because a new variant pops up and people get it, which raises their immunity, which eventually stops the propagation.  Boosters help reduce propagation.  I think you body needs an occasional "refresher" to up the level of antibodies.

COVID will continue to mutate and one of those mutations may go right around the vaccine.  Or, it may not.  This is the game that the flu vaccine folks have been playing for a long time.

I had a chance in May to get in the car with my wife and get boosted.  I said no thanks.  I got COVID in late June at a company all-hands meeting, along with half my company.  Two people got everyone sick.  They were younger employees who had "allergies" and toughed it out to come to the meeting.  It bounced right off my boosted spouse.  I'm not passing up another chance to get a booster, although I'm trying to time mine based on my prior COVID dates and the likely time when it will protect me the most from an inevitable winter surge.

Fair enough. I’m definitely not trying to persuade anyone from protecting themselves. Covid was worse than allergies for me, that’s for sure. 

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

This is the scenario I'll consider a booster.   If (i) some data comes out that it actually materially reduces transmission risk, (ii) there is an ongoing wave with lots of infections and (iii) there is something (trip, etc.) coming up I would prefer not to feel shitty on, then I'll probably look into the booster. Or maybe if I go an entire year relatively confident I didn't get an infection then I might get it just to boost antibodies.   For me, the impact of the infection and reaction to the Booster were pretty similar as far as how I felt (maybe slightly worse with COVID).  But COVID fatigue just lasted closer to a week rather than 2-3 days for the booster.

I do think that is the difference between flu shot and COVID though.   I got flu shot last week and other than slightly sore arm so zero inconvenience.   With COVID shots 2 and 3 it was 4X the arm soreness + feeling off/shitty for a couple of days. I deal with that enough already with a 3 and 5 year old constantly bringing some shit home from school.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

I know several people who have gotten COVID multiple times in less than a year.

I know this virus can be a head-scratcher, but coming from someone who's never had COVID (as far as any test has revealed), when I hear about this I ask myself, "what is going on with those folks?"

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I know this virus can be a head-scratcher, but coming from someone who's never had COVID (as far as any test has revealed), when I hear about this I ask myself, "what is going on with those folks?"

Yeah, it's odd. One woman has had it three times in the past 10 months. She had the first two shots when they first were available, but never got a booster. I imagine some folks are just naturally more susceptible to it, and add in variants to that.

I'm flying to Calgary from Texas next week.  When I booked my trip, there was an app "ArriveCAN" that I needed to fill out and upload my vaccine card, which I did.  I got a barcode to scan at the airport when I arrive.  Yesterday, the Canadian government canceled all COVID related border checks, and will no longer require the app.  I have not gotten a fourth shot yet (bivalent booster), and not sure at this point if I will (in my 50's).  I haven't had COVID up to this point even after multiple exposures that I know of, and no telling how many others.

I've followed the Johns Hopkins COVID page for the duration of this deal, and today, there is a pop up stating that they are no longer updating those slides:

THE CRC HAS STOPPED COLLECTING TESTING DATA

This chart is officially out of date as more than 30 states across the US have stopped reporting testing positivity or significantly scaled down their testing reports. The CRC data visualizations will remain available for past dates and reports, but will no longer have up to date information on testing positivity and criteria.

STOPPED REPORTING: 09/21/2022

Edited by CycleTex87

28 minutes ago, Deej said:

I know several people who have gotten COVID multiple times in less than a year. I wouldn't be so sure about 8 months, but you're probably good for 2 or 3, at least. 

My wife and I had 3 Moderna shots, then caught Delta in early February and Omicron in late June. Both times it was only slightly worse symptoms than the 2nd and 3rd vaccine (duration and intensity of headache mostly). However, I wouldn’t count on 6+ month lasting immunity from either an infection/recovery or a vaccine booster.

These boosters can’t stay ahead of the mutation rate. I think I’m done with boosters until I see compelling data that is applicable to my demographic. My 3 and 5 year olds haven’t been vaccinated as my wife and I were both very side effects conscientious, and I doubt that we change our minds on that either. The unvaccinated little ones had fewer symptoms from Omicron and Delta than their triple vaccinated parents. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I assume having kids in daycare is how it got in our house three times (March 2020, Feb 2022, June 2022)

6 hours ago, Deej said:

Yeah, it's odd. One woman has had it three times in the past 10 months. She had the first two shots when they first were available, but never got a booster. I imagine some folks are just naturally more susceptible to it, and add in variants to that.

*** raises hand

I’m vax’d Moderna. Finished late April 21’

Got Delta in late Oct just a few weeks before I was recommended to get boosted.

Got Omicron during New Years.

Got Omicron again this late Spring.

**variants based on most prevalent when I tested positive. Not lab analysis.

Edited by Incredulity
Covid years have blended together

16 hours ago, dcbc said:

Just got my bivalent Pfizer booster and flu shot this morning.  So far, arm is barely sore if I rub the injection site (don't notice otherwise).  We'll see how I feel tonight.

How goes it?  So far I'm hearing from a lot of folks that the side effects of this new booster are not as horrendous as the last couple rounds of shots.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

How goes it?  So far I'm hearing from a lot of folks that the side effects of this new booster are not as horrendous as the last couple rounds of shots.

I had the worst side effects of any of the shots from the new booster. Arm never really got sore like the others, but after about 18 hours, I have a full day's worth of aches and chills. 

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

I got the shots at 11:30 a.m.  I went home, worked out, finished out the day at work and did some cardio when I got home.  Around 7:30 p.m., I started to feel a little tired.  I thought I might have felt a headache coming on and took a couple of ibuprofen.  I laid around for a while watching TV, went to sleep not feeling the least bit bad around 11, slept like a baby, and woke up at 6:30 a.m. feeling fine.  Definitely the most mild reaction I've had to any of the COVID shots/boosters, not to mention the first time I've gotten the flu shot at the same time.

TLDR:  Almost nothing to it.

Edited by dcbc

On 9/27/2022 at 9:26 AM, Deej said:

I know several people who have gotten COVID multiple times in less than a year. I wouldn't be so sure about 8 months, but you're probably good for 2 or 3, at least. 

I had covid in January and then again July of this year. I've had three shots, my booster was in October of last year. 

Never had Covid and neither has the wife.
New Pfizer this week along with the Supersize Flu shot. Felt slightly wonky for a few hours the day after but that was about it.

Had friends from Portland staying with us a couple of weeks ago. Hung out for week, drove all around the metroplex, drove to Hot Springs etc.

A few days after they flew back they both tested positive.

On 10/5/2022 at 6:34 AM, South Austin said:

I got mine a couple weeks ago. I wasn't nearly as tired as the previous boosters. Arm never really hurt either.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/15/2022 at 10:06 AM, TexPx said:

Me? No. Never had any symptoms.

Neither did I nor my wife.  Only indication that either of us had that we were ever infected was a positive N ab test via Texas CARES. 

Would be interesting to sample among those here who participated in CARES how many have preserved a negative N test with their last draw.  

On 10/5/2022 at 5:34 AM, South Austin said:

This was the worst one for me so far. I felt flu-like for over a day, and had a big knot in my arm for a few days. 

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Neither did I nor my wife.  Only indication that either of us had that we were ever infected was a positive N ab test via Texas CARES. 

Would be interesting to sample among those here who participated in CARES how many have preserved a negative N test with their last draw.  

I was still negative for COVID after my 4th CARES draw.

20 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

This was the worst one for me so far. I felt flu-like for over a day, and had a big knot in my arm for a few days. 

Worst of all of them for me, as well. 

I tested positive for N test via Texas Cares this week.

This was my 4th draw.  My third draw was on June 28th, and I was still negative then.  So sometime between June 28th and October 18th, I caught Covid.  Not a single symptom I can think of during that time.

Last shot I received (which was my third pfizer) was in November of last year.  My antibodies kept reading > than 2,500 on all my blood draws, so I did not see a need for a booster.  My antibodies on this latest draw are still > 2,500, which was expected after seeing that I tested positive, so I will probably wait 6 months or so to get the booster.

The person who took my blood said that they have now been approved for 7 draws (or maybe she said 6).  I will keep doing them.  If my antibodies drop below 2,500, then I will get the booster.  If not, I will hold off.