Dairy Queen slowly dying

chainsaw

7 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Coming back from Big Bend, my wife was Jonesing for a Blizzard.  I pulled off I-10 to the DQ on the south side of Flatonia.  

I wheeled the truck around and ordered her selection and one for me.  There was one vehicle in line before us. 

A car pulled into the parking lot and a woman got out, took a long finishing drag off her Marlboro, billowed out a tower of blue tobacco smoke up to the heavens and flicked the cig butt  from her thumb and forefinger off to the asphalt and walked into the DQ while she was putting on her DQ smock and hat.  

As I pulled up to the window to pay, Marlboro girl got our order from someone else behind the counter and then she started to assemble our Blizzards.   No stop to wash her greasy paws and yellow stained finger nails.  

Another girl opened up the window to take my money and I hollered in to Marlboro dip shit she needs to throw our Blizzards away, wash her mitts and start over.  She slammed our orders into the trash can and stormed off. 

The girl at the window was slack jawed and my wife was crying with laughter.   

Greasy-assed dumbass.   Get your shit together. 

Mayfields turning their graves, if they're dead.

Coming back from Big Bend, my wife was Jonesing for a Blizzard.  I pulled off I-10 to the DQ on the south side of Flatonia.  

I wheeled the truck around and ordered her selection and one for me.  There was one vehicle in line before us. 

A car pulled into the parking lot and a woman got out, took a long finishing drag off her Marlboro, billowed out a tower of blue tobacco smoke up to the heavens and flicked the cig butt  from her thumb and forefinger off to the asphalt and walked into the DQ while she was putting on her DQ smock and hat.  

As I pulled up to the window to pay, Marlboro girl got our order from someone else behind the counter and then she started to assemble our Blizzards.   No stop to wash her greasy paws and yellow stained finger nails.  

Another girl opened up the window to take my money and I hollered in to Marlboro dip shit she needs to throw our Blizzards away, wash her mitts and start over.  She slammed our orders into the trash can and stormed off. 

Counterpoint: a DQ treat tinged with the hint of cig smoke may be the actual texas state dish.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

You traded a blizzard made with Smokey fingers for a blizzard made with clean fingers and a Smokey loogie blended inside?

Not sure you came out ahead on that one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, CoTex said:

You traded a blizzard made with Smokey fingers for a blizzard made with clean fingers and a Smokey loogie blended inside?

Not sure you came out ahead on that one.

Blizzard machine was in my line of vision.  

I’m no dummy.  I just play dummies in the movies. 

5 hours ago, CoTex said:

Ree - Vera pendejo.  Riviera is in France.

And Linden, Texas is in a whole ‘nother league of suckitude when it comes to DQ.  I am boycotting it.

My dude, it’s Riviera.  Because the idea was, it was gonna be the Riviera of Texas. Rivera is a high school in Brownsville.

And stopping in Riviera is dead to me since the Brush Country closed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chopper said:

If you're ever up Northern Colorado way, just south of Fort Collins is the DQ franchise that holds the top position nationwide, 4 years running.

Loveland Dairy Queen named No. 1 nationwide treat location for fourth consecutive year

Their chili cheese dogs are excellent even though they lack a grill to toast the damn buns. They make blizzards to perfection.

i did not know this! thanks for the tip, may need to take a day trip up there 😁

5 hours ago, hornian said:

The ones in Austin are mostly (maybe all?) “Mayfield Dairy Queens” because of the franchise owner (who also owns Wally’s on Mesa). And he’s expanding, I know that there’s at least 2 new ones in NW Austin that have opened in the past couple of years. 

best DQ anywhere is the Mayfield one on Burnet. blows every other burger joint in the vicinity away. we lived within walking distance...which made me not feel so bad when i wanted a treat 😋 service was as good as the food. definitely miss it...

but see above, excited to know there's potentially a great one not too far!

the worst...Hearne. just 🤢 😝 

44 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

My dude, it’s Riviera.  Because the idea was, it was gonna be the Riviera of Texas. Rivera is a high school in Brownsville.

Was that the quail/wild game place?  Whatever it was it wasn’t Kings Inn.

Spell it however you want but I know how to pronounce it.  And don’t come at me - I planted a palm tree in that place once and played basketball in their gym.

15 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

All that eat inside in clean air-conditioning shit is weakness.

Not at DQ. That air conditioner is a window unit haphazardly stuck in thin wood paneling and has managed to collect 10 years worth of grease and dust on the vents. To make it worse, it is always three feet from the back corner bathrooms blowing the scent of toilet cakes and old man urine into the heart of the restaurant. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 2

On 11/19/2022 at 11:20 AM, deadshank said:

What were you doing?  I always pay extra for that kind of service. 

20 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

they still got that dq in italy? that was always my stop for iced tea on my way from Dallas to Austin. 

dq's days have been numbered since they deprioritized their iced tea. i actually make dining decisions based on that shit

Ittly DQ is still operational. Many stops there over the decades for me also. 

On 11/19/2022 at 9:05 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Small town locations are consistently better. Ozona DQ always slams on a long ass drive back from Midland. 

I’ll have to stop there in a couple weeks on the way back from Odessa.  

Young CycleTex crushed many frito chili pies, steak finger baskets, and untold dipped cones from the now defunct DQ in my Texas hometown.  I don’t guess I’ve eaten at a DQ in a few decades. 

1 minute ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’ll have to stop there in a couple weeks on the way back from Odessa.  

Young CycleTex crushed many frito chili pies, steak finger baskets, and untold dipped cones from the now defunct DQ in my Texas hometown.  I don’t guess I’ve eaten at a DQ in a few decades. 

I honestly hate that drive. Getting a bite at the DQ Ozona is a nice appetizer before dinner in San Antonio. 

On 11/19/2022 at 2:42 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

agave jalisco taqueria there looks like it has outstanding tortillas

2 hours ago, futureman said:

incidentally I got so fed up last year with the whataburger by the dmv on north lamar that I started going to the DQ a little further north and the burgers were always hot and delicious.  underrated burger. 

Dude, order a Dude.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 3:27 PM, mchookem said:

i did not know this! thanks for the tip, may need to take a day trip up there 😁

best DQ anywhere is the Mayfield one on Burnet. blows every other burger joint in the vicinity away. we lived within walking distance...which made me not feel so bad when i wanted a treat 😋 service was as good as the food. definitely miss it...

but see above, excited to know there's potentially a great one not too far!

the worst...Hearne. just 🤢 😝 

This might have already been discussed and might seem weird to those that haven't heard about it but they sell chicken dumplings at that location and they are damn good. Buy a small and try them out. They are seasonal so they don't have them year round. They only sell them during fall/winter so try them while you can. You won't be disappointed. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Mayfield ones seem to be pretty well-run.

Dripping Springs location closing affected me.  Definitely would make money if it was reopened by a motivated franchisee willing to help work it.

Burgers and ice cream slam, fries are trash.  They would probably do well to simplify their food menu, especially at the very rural locations.

A lot of small towns would be even more shitty without their DQ.

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Dripping Springs location closing affected me.  Definitely would make money if it was reopened by a motivated franchisee willing to help work it.

Burgers and ice cream slam, fries are trash.  They would probably do well to simplify their food menu, especially at the very rural locations.

DQ is the center of public life in those towns.

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

There's a Mayfield DQ here in town. I don't eat out much but they seem to do very well, hard to find a fast food restaurant that will pay its employees $15/hr in a town with 6k people.

On 11/19/2022 at 2:42 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

don’t get me started on brush country. A&I grad here and that place was just good food. Their biscuits were epic and the chicken fried steak was freaking great. The saddle blanket was just ridiculous 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The El Campo DQ is being rebuilt. Whether it’s any good or not I have no idea.

The DQ in Sabinal is brand spanking newly rebuilt.  

Also if you’re passing through, stop at Cattleman’s Beef in Sabinal.  Storefront operation for the Nunley Bros wagyu beef raised just 5 miles south of the store.  Great stuff with all sorts of cuts.