Dairy Queen slowly dying

chainsaw

12 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Late 70s / early 80s Giddings’ Queen had a live parrot. Even as a kid unfamiliar with health codes and basic sanitation, that seemed sketchy.

That explains why my relatives from Giddings would always looks at us strange when visiting up here in Nebraska, and we would suggest going to get DQ ice cream. 

don’t get me started on brush country. A&I grad here and that place was just good food. Their biscuits were epic and the chicken fried steak was freaking great. The saddle blanket was just ridiculous 

Man…just making me sad and missing it all over again. Would order it as a kid when with my dad on a fishing trip. Would eat the leftover as a sammich between leftover pieces of texas toast while fishing the next day.
Oh, and DQ has some of the best crispy tacos around.
  • Like 2

Dude with fries and a cherry coke

OR 

6 pc steak finger basket with extra gravy and a chocolate malt

and I was always a dilly bar guy but a Oreo blizzard was always an option too

much like whataburger, your culinary experience can vary wildly from location to location with no real way to determine if it will be poorly run/shitty food and service or not. Always nice to happen upon a DQ that can still serve their food hot and fresh. 

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

To anyone one ordering fries at DQ: you are doing it wrong. Order a side of jalitos with your burger, or preferably dude sandwich. Thank me later  

For 5 years I worked across the street from the Bridgeport DQ. My regular lunch order was a Dude with jalitos or steak finger basket. Friday catfish was always a plus. The wise man orders 20 minutes before break. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Oddly enough after reading this thread yesterday my kids decided they wanted DQ for dinner last night so I was like sure, it's been a while since I had a dude sandwich. But this new item caught my eye and I got it instead, it's basically just the regular jalitos ranch burger, but on Texas toast.  Was pretty tasty, paired it with some onion rings because I think their fries are pretty meh.  Would get again.

4D2FC322-CBB1-4567-81AD-7CEB72BEB897.thumb.jpeg.ccd73b903724737e8456360940a1a419.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

@Covri That valuable intel. Looks pretty fucking aight.

For you South Austin boys, the DQ on Stassney is a Mayfield. Ate their a couple weeks ago, and everything was nice - clean, well run and tasty. Fucking trifecta. Was probably about 60% full at 4 o'clock on a weekday, and these weren't Crockett HS kids.

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 2

When I was a teenager in the mid-late 1990s, we’d always stop at the DQ in Port Isabel right after the causeway and get cherry limeades for the ride back up the valley, the absolute perfect thing after a long day on the water on the island. 

A couple years ago I was doing the same drive with my wife and kids and decided to stop for one, hyped it up to the kids and then got there and they didn’t have Cherry limeade, they had some thing called a “Mist” that didn’t have fresh limes or the cherries from the ice cream bar. Had a sad. 

Edit: seeing now that this is a good example of dad stories that go nowhere and don’t matter to anyone 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

@Covri That valuable intel. Looks pretty fucking aight.

For you South Austin boys, the DQ on Stassney is a Mayfield. Ate their a couple weeks ago, and everything was nice - clean, well run and tasty. Fucking trifecta. Was probably about 60% full at 4 o'clock on a weekday, and these weren't Crockett HS kids.

Wife and I go there from time to time.

Can confirm it is solid and the tacos are great.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/24/2022 at 6:13 AM, Deej said:

Doesn’t a Mayfield own Wally’s Burger?

On 11/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, CooterBrown said:

Yes. I remember their contact info on a questions and comments sign inside had an @mayfieldDQs email address.

When I used to work off Mesa and 183 I would go to Wally burger express and get the tacos now that connection is made why I like them so much they were just like their Mayfield DQ tacos. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My dad worked at the DQ in Eagle Pass when he was in high school.  He has some bullshit story about inventing the onion ring, or figuring out the best way to cook them in their fryer, or some shit like that.  I need to ask him to tell it again.

BS. Ben Franklin invented the onion ring.  

And the George Foreman grill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My dad worked at the DQ in Eagle Pass when he was in high school.  He has some bullshit story about inventing the onion ring, or figuring out the best way to cook them in their fryer, or some shit like that.  I need to ask him to tell it again.

Cooler than claiming to invent the question mark or some such.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2022 at 7:57 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

A while back the sign outside of the DQ in W. Columbia said "Dumplins Is Back." Not sure if that was in reference to the manager or a menu item.

Was gonna mention, the DQ here in Taylor make s pretty mean chicken 'n' dumplings during the winter months.

Also, on vacation last summer stopped at a DQ in Moorhead, MN, (right across the river from Fargo) home to the world's largest Dilly Bar.  Been open since 1949, definitely old-school with emphasis on the dairy, only food they have is hot/chili dogs or a bbq sandwich, everything else is ice cream.  It's only open from March thru October.  Pretty cool place.

An icon of the Fargo-Moorhead area, the Moorhead Dairy Queen is one of the oldest original stores in the entire franchise.

A visit here is like stepping back into the 1950s. You get to walk up to the window to place your order and then sit outside with your ice cream treats (there’s no indoor seating).

The day it opens in early spring, lines form around the block – it’s safe to say locals love this slightly retro summer hangout.

Beyond being adored by the community, the famous Dilly Bar was created at this very location, so of course there’s a giant statue of a Dilly Bar outside to commemorate it.

It’s still operating under the 70-year-old original franchise contract. That means they have more flexibility in how they operate (for instance, they still pay the original 1949 royalties rate on DQ treats from the corporate warehouse).

This old school contract also allows owners Troy and Diane DeLeon the freedom to source ingredients from outside providers and to dish out “rogue” menu items you won’t find at other Dairy Queens.

You won’t find a Monkey Tail (a chocolate-covered frozen banana), a Mr. Maltie (a chocolate malt on a stick), or the Chipper Sandwich (vanilla ice cream sandwiches between two chocolate chip cookies and dipped in chocolate) at any modern Dairy Queen – but you will find them in Moorhead.

Food-wise, you can also grab a Nathan’s hot dog, a bowl of chili, a large Polish sausage, or the super chili cheese dog from the “Local Menu”.

And the ice cream cakes? Let the other shops take HQ’s premade cakes; Troy DeLeon assembles his himself.

For a taste of history (pun intended) and a fun thing to do in Fargo-Moorhead, a stop at the Moorhead Dairy Queen is a must.

IMG_0818.JPEG

IMG_0819.JPEG

IMG_0822.JPEG

IMG_0820.JPEG

Edited by UTCzech III
info
  • Like 2

On 11/24/2022 at 12:15 AM, futureman said:

can someone explain “Mayfield” Dairy Queen?  I’ve had 1,000 blizzards and almost as many belt busters and I have no idea what y’all are talking about with this Mayfield stuff. 

I assumed a nickel of every Blizzard purchased goes to Baker Mayfield’s family and that is how those retards managed to live on Lake Travis. 

1 hour ago, Longhornstampede said:

Someone upthread mentioned DQs in some other states having flavors for dipping cones other than chocolate. I distinctly remember, as a kid, having red dipped cones at DQ in my hometown here in Texas. I really wish it would make a return. 

The ones in Missouri always offered cherry and butterscotch dipped cones, but the “Texas” or “That’s what I like about Texas”-subscribed DQs were hardliners on chocolate dipped only. I was somewhat surprised that the Mayfield DQ on Manor Rd (east Austin north of 51st) offered cherry and butterscotch. I went to a DQ last year in Humble or Kingwood that offered this disgusting looking blue cotton candy flavored dip for cones. 

On 11/26/2022 at 1:33 PM, Deej said:

I think that location was a Dairy Queen before it was Wally’s.

On 11/26/2022 at 12:30 PM, TexasEd said:

When I used to work off Mesa and 183 I would go to Wally burger express and get the tacos now that connection is made why I like them so much they were just like their Mayfield DQ tacos. 

Going to Anderson High in the 80s, another word for freshmen was "Wally Walkers" because although we had the option of off-campus lunch, if you didn't know an upperclassman with a car, you were walking to Wally's.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/26/2022 at 11:36 PM, Brisketexan said:

cooler than making up a story about meeting a celebrity 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

Someone upthread mentioned DQs in some other states having flavors for dipping cones other than chocolate. I distinctly remember, as a kid, having red dipped cones at DQ in my hometown here in Texas. I really wish it would make a return. 

lay off the drugs 

10 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The ones in Missouri always offered cherry and butterscotch dipped cones, but the “Texas” or “That’s what I like about Texas”-subscribed DQs were hardliners on chocolate dipped only. I was somewhat surprised that the Mayfield DQ on Manor Rd (east Austin north of 51st) offered cherry and butterscotch. I went to a DQ last year in Humble or Kingwood that offered this disgusting looking blue cotton candy flavored dip for cones. 

The Texas DQ's have had butterscotch dipped cones since I was a kid. 

• Like 1

Robert Mayfield is a far right nutjob. He sent a crazy rant letter to the LISD school board concerned that his grandkids were being "indoctrinated" with "critical race theory" and "graphic sexual content." He donated a bunch of $ to anti public education candidates in recent school board elections.

I won't be visiting his establishments.

Edited by elguapo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 2