Dairy Queen slowly dying

chainsaw

Athens, GA had a great DQ shack during my whole childhood. The menu was hand painted with black paint on a big piece of white plywood and included all sorts of different stuff like 20 different frozen candy bars. When the Blizzard landed they took off and eventually moved locations and went bland corporate. It was never the same.

And fuuuuuuuuck this world ….

I got all fired up for some dq steak strips. Pull up to dq on old Spanish trail, very excited. 

‘I’ll take a 6 piece steak fingers. Extra gravy and toast, add jalapeño, please !!!!’

’we’re out of steak strips tonight’

Angry Ferris Buellers Day Off GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

And fuuuuuuuuck this world ….

I got all fired up for some dq steak strips. Pull up to dq on old Spanish trail, very excited. 

‘I’ll take a 6 piece steak fingers. Extra gravy and toast, add jalapeño, please !!!!’

’we’re out of steak strips tonight’

Angry Ferris Buellers Day Off GIF

It’s because you called them “steak strips,” if you would have ordered steak fingers you would have gotten them. 

https://dqtexas.com/food/steak-finger-country-basket/

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, RPM said:

It's official. The Bridgeport Dairy Queen is dead.

336141369_1000768397573812_2570929132702325198_n.jpg

336893372_156272247317831_3004518117959283233_n.jpg

Is that the one off Halsell and 16th? My grandmother used to live in Bridgeport in the early 90s before she moved to be near us. Lots of great memories of getting a burger and a blizzard with her at that DQ.

We had DQ in both Glen Rose and San Saba this weekend on our Colorado Bend State Park trip. The Glen Rose one was packed. I had a Churro Dipped Cone and it was f'ing fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ten Bears said:

Back before cell phones when we wanted to meet someone in a small Texas town we would just agree to a time to meet at the Dairy Queen because ever town had one.

We used to call them Texas stop signs for a reason.  

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

dq was the height of fine road trip dining when i was a kid.  went there a year or two ago somewhere around vernon and probably left with aids.

Hooking up with dudes in the men's room?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last weekend, my wife and I went to go see her parents in Bryan, and the DQ around the corner from their house still had the taco special going on.  Three tacos for $5, plus a Dilly Bar for me and an M&M Blizzard for the wife.

Righteous eating, I must say.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 12:06 PM, Samson's Wig said:

"Slowly" is the key word from the title of this thread.  DQs are the slowest fast food chain in Texas, especially those in small towns.  Nothing worse on a road trip than stopping at a DQ and waiting half an hour for a shitty burger.

I listened to an entire half of a high school football game on the radio once waiting in the drive through line at my local DQ. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/3/2023 at 8:34 PM, deft said:

I like lettuce on my dude, no homo. The cool crisp crunch mixing together with the mayo, makes it healthier. It’s science bro.

I actually like lettuce on my sandwiches and burgers, but the waste water effluent they water lettuce crops with gives me the shits. So, I forgo the lettuce.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I actually like lettuce on my sandwiches and burgers, but the waste water effluent they water lettuce crops with gives me the shits. So, I forgo the lettuce.

No doubt.  It's the veggies at fast food places that give you food poisoning, not the meat.  I won't touch produce being handled by people not paid enough to give a shit about washing it properly.  At least the meat is being cooked to death.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

dq was the height of fine road trip dining when i was a kid.  went there a year or two ago somewhere around vernon and probably left with aids.

DQ was my first job not working for family. Trust me. You've had aids, covid, ebola for pretty much your entire life. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 9:00 AM, hullabelew said:

In 78-80, one of my many jobs in high school was working for the local furniture store/funeral home.  One day, we had to drive from North Texas (more like southern Oklahoma) to south Texas to pick up a body.  Three of us hop in the blue hearse and head out.  Somewhere along the way, one guy laid down on the cart in the back to take a rally nap after a long night.    Shortly after, we stop in some small town DQ to grab some drinks.  Driver orders for me and him, then turns around and says, "What do you want?"  Mack sets up and places his order....we look to the window and the chick has bolted.  We had to go in to pick up our drinks.  Mack stayed in the hearse. 

I wish I could say we planned that first one...but it was an accident....but every DQ after that....we pulled the same stunt.  

ron-swanson-parks-and-rec.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/13/2023 at 9:34 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

A combination furniture store / funeral home isn't something you see every day.

I can't count the number of times we delivered furniture to one town, then drove to another town to pick up a body from a different funeral home.