Dairy Queen slowly dying

chainsaw

i can't even remember the last time i was in a DQ. i'm fairly certain the last thing i had there was a wholly unsatisfying steak finger meal. soggy and disgusting, and the tea tasted three days old.

When done right, the steak fingers are solid. And if you don’t like their tacos and a dip cone, you’re a terrorist who hates America.
  • Like 2

My best DQ story..

After graduating college, I work in PA for several years.  There was a DQ in the next town over (maybe about 15 minutes away).  One day it came on the news that one of the employees was just arrested when he was caught masturbating into the ice cream machine.  Apparently he was mad at the world and this was his revenge.  He admitted that this was not the first time he had done it.  The place shut down for a week or so (I forgot exactly how long) for a thorough cleaning, and then reopened.  It didn't stay open but a couple of months as the only people who would go there were travelers.   Yum!!!

Just now, Brisketexan said:

When done right, the steak fingers are solid. And if you don’t like their tacos and a dip cone, you’re a terrorist who hates America.

still, how do you fuck up iced tea? that's unforgivable. 

and you're damn right i judge restaurants by their availability of quality citrus for that iced tea. don't give me a fucking lemon juice package. chipotle is on my shit list for taking the citrus behind the counter. given a choice between sonic and DQ, i'm going with sonic, because their tea game is stronger.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

and you're damn right i judge restaurants by their availability of quality citrus for that iced tea. don't give me a fucking lemon juice package. chipotle is on my shit list for taking the citrus behind the counter. given a choice between sonic and DQ, i'm going with sonic, because their tea game is stronger.

As is their commercial game

I agree on the importance of tea.

McDonald’s tea, for $1 any size, is worth a try. Hell, I don’t order food, just grab a tea there.

I don’t put stuff in my tea, so don’t care about the other stuff.

The last time I was at Dairy Queen it was the one in Dripping Springs. There was an older couple bitching about the tea. "We came here for the tea and it don't taste right!" Anyways, the woman waddles past our table bitching about the tea and right as she is next to our table she lets out a horrendous belch.

My son starts rambling, "I can smell it, I can smell that fat lady's burp! It smells, like that gas has been building up in her gut forever. Fat people burps are the worst, she just let it rip..."

I'm dying from laughter because son went on a minute long tirade about the burp. The woman gives him a dirty look which sends us both into uncontrollable laughter.

Anyways, we ended up leaving because that was pretty gross and the steak fingers were greasy and unsatisfying. Should have went to the Whataburger across the street.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I agree on the importance of tea.

McDonald’s tea, for $1 any size, is worth a try. Hell, I don’t order food, just grab a tea there.

I don’t put stuff in my tea, so don’t care about the other stuff.

Great tea at McDs!  Fresh lemon there as well.

Dairy Queen will still give you the number thing to put on your table and then bring you your food when it's ready, so there's that.

I'd been living out of the state for a while and came back to Texas and a friend and I were eating at DQ, he'd ordered the "Dude". Girl brings it out, looks at him quizzically and asks "Dude?". He says "Dude!" and she hands him his food. Something about that exchange had me rolling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PW119 said:

We ate at one in Amarillo on a family trip to Colorado in the mid 80s.  My brother farted the entire second half of that trip.  Stunk up the conversion van.  F that place.

I might be your brother, except I farted the entire first half of the trip, too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The country basket is gross. The last two times I"ve eaten them they've made me sick. Burgers, fries, tacos, blizzards. The chicken strip baskets are usually good, too. If given a choice, I'll stick to Chicken Express / Golden Chick 99 times out of 100.

I confess to not having a country basket in....years.  In the last 10 years, probably limited to burger, fries, tacos, and dip cones (and I USED to get a chocolate malt there, but they QUIT CARRYING FUCKING MALT.  WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???).

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Chicken express has fried gizzards and gravy. I’m a fan.

What’s sad is that a lot of those shitty little towns still have ONE restaurant: a Subway inside a gas station. Those are the most depressing fucking “restaurants” on the planet. Seriously, a gruel bar inside an orphanage would be a happier place.

You're forgetting about the Hunt's Bros. Pizza, on the other side of the gas station.

Just now, Brothahorn said:

You're forgetting about the Hunt's Bros. Pizza, on the other side of the gas station.

An omission for which I should be ashamed.

Because Hunt Bros is VASTLY superior to Subway.

If you're REALLY lucky, it's also one of those gas stations with a deep fryer and a varied menu of fried stuff in a glass case for your dining pleasure.

My local DQ is a couple of years old. Very nice building, but shitty real food. Alright ice cream and smoothies
I find the newer places, the greese pits just aren't seasoned yet. Things like this take time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Stella Link said:

I've been to several DQs that are hole in the walls....very old and outdated.  But the food is always great.  Some of these are competing with very large and new truck stops / convenience stores too.

I ate at the DQ in Hamilton with my dad the last weekend of deer season and it was busy. Old school type.

On the way home, we ate at a DQ off I20 and 281 and it was a brand new one.  Did not like it at all.  Didn't feel like a DQ.

2 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

It seems like just yesterday when I got my hands on a nice, hot Dude. Just felt right.

I've been keto for 3 years but for my last cheat meal I wrapped my lips around a beltbuster.  And regretted it all night.

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The DQs in southwest Missouri have steak fingers in addition to burgers, chicken strips, etc. 

Something they do better than Texas DQ: They offer dipped cones in flavors other than chocolate. You can get butterscotch, cherry, or banana flavors dip on them as well. 

Here in Beaumont they sell Chicken and Dumplings at DQ.

My best DQ moment was when I was a kid in the 70's. My dad's little sister moved to Austin with her new husband. He was one of those guys full of himself that you knew had no right to be. He was telling us about this great job he had somewhere and how important it was. One night, parents decided to take us to Dairy Queen. Guess who was working the soft serve machine? Lulz.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I confess to not having a country basket in....years.  In the last 10 years, probably limited to burger, fries, tacos, and dip cones (and I USED to get a chocolate malt there, but they QUIT CARRYING FUCKING MALT.  WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???).

Dip cones for sure and ditto on wtff.  That said, there is one over by Will Rogers and one two blocks from my home that I still frequent.  In the 80's, when my folks lived in Nocona, the enchiladas they served up were Dart bowl quality.

When I was in college, I umpired a lot of baseball in the summer to make money.  My supervisor was in the FW chapter and he'd give me all of the men's league games in the small far north Texas tiny towns that no one from FW wanted to drive to (and where you needed to speak Spanish to survive).  Always a double-header on Sunday starting at noon, in Gunter, Nocona, Whitesboro, etc.

Every one of those towns had a DQ.  And after every doubleheader, the other ump and I would be starving after spending 4+ hours in 100 degree heat, and we'd walk into the DQ at about 4:30 pm on a Sunday, and it would be packed.  And usually everyone there turned and gave us a funny look because they didn't recognize us.  It was really bizarre the first couple of times.

DQ really used to be the center of many small Texas towns. 

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

When I was in college, I umpired a lot of baseball in the summer to make money.  My supervisor was in the FW chapter and he'd give me all of the men's league games in the small far north Texas tiny towns that no one from FW wanted to drive to (and where you needed to speak Spanish to survive).  Always a double-header on Sunday starting at noon, in Gunter, Nocona, Whitesboro, etc.

Every one of those towns had a DQ.  And after every doubleheader, the other ump and I would be starving after spending 4+ hours in 100 degree heat, and we'd walk into the DQ at about 4:30 pm on a Sunday, and it would be packed.  And usually everyone there turned and gave us a funny look because they didn't recognize us.  It was really bizarre the first couple of times.

DQ really used to be the center of many small Texas towns. 

It still is for many.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

FUCK.  That's one of my go-to jokes.

But....the OLD DQ in Mexia got turned into an italian restaurant by a Croatian (I think) guy.  Really good, and really affordable.

Frankie’s. His brother runs a similar one in Hillsboro.  Pretty solid food but it’s hard for him to find good consistent help.

We had DQ in Oklahoma back in the 80s & 90s but they quietly vanished. We just got them back 2-3 years ago, and they serve everything, not just ice cream. I've always hated Dennis the Menace, so that put a damper on getting a blizzard when I was a kid.

We stopped at the DQ in Waco a few years ago. I felt like I had walked into a time capsule from 1987. The floor was so greasy, we could hardly walk. The ceiling tiles were yellowed from smoke and water damage. It was disgusting.

My best DQ moment was when I was a kid in the 70's. My dad's little sister moved to Austin with her new husband. He was one of those guys full of himself that you knew had no right to be. He was telling us about this great job he had somewhere and how important it was. One night, parents decided to take us to Dairy Queen. Guess who was working the soft serve machine? Lulz.

Lulz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ernest_t_bass said:

What’s a cherry milk root beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just like it says. Cheery syrup, a little milk in root beer.  Cheaper version of root beer float. 

When you're a kid gotta stretch that quarter.

9 hours ago, irishtexan said:

As has been mentioned, the DQs outside of Texas basically only serve ice cream/soft serve. They have a shit-ton more options of ice cream than are available in Texas, too.

Decided to stop there on a road trip a few years ago. I got steak fingers and they were absolutely disgusting. Haven't/won't go back unless it's to get a blizzard with the kids

The ones in Kansas sell food too.

BTW if you do anything in Clayton, NM you are doing it wrong.  The only possible excuse for winding up in that town would be if you were put into the Federal Witness Protection Program because no one would want to kill you bad enough to go there.  You can drive about 80 miles in any direction from there and not even see a prairie dog town.

5 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

BTW if you do anything in Clayton, NM you are doing it wrong.  The only possible excuse for winding up in that town would be if you were put into the Federal Witness Protection Program because no one would want to kill you bad enough to go there.  You can drive about 80 miles in any direction from there and not even see a prairie dog town.

???

How else do you drive to Colorado without going through Clayton?

And that taco truck there is legit.  

We always stop at the Allsups in Texline to get me burritos for breakfast, and then stop at the truck 20 minutes later to get the wife and daughter tacos.

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

There's worse places than Clayton like Texline.