Dairy Queen slowly dying

chainsaw

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

???

How else do you drive to Colorado without going through Clayton?

And that taco truck there is legit.  

We always stop at the Allsups in Texline to get me burritos for breakfast, and then stop at the truck 20 minutes later to get the wife and daughter tacos.

We had to spend the night there once when we found out they closed the pass. Would not recommend.

DQ in Conroe closed a few months ago. It was a shit hole. I went in a few times and no one was there. Walked in, yelled “Hello” and got nothing. Stood there for a couple minutes. Debated making a blizzard. Decided against it. Left. This was at 11:30am. While I was in there a car pulled up to the drive thru. Bell rang. Nothing. They yelled into the mic a few times. When I drove off they drove off.

Needless to say I was shocked 3 months later when I saw the news it was closing.

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

40 years ago or so, my grandpa was a Railroad Commission field man in Midland.  When we'd visit, I'd ride along with him.  We stopped at the DQ in Crane one time, and they had breakfast.  Back when DQ didn't serve breakfast.  But as the only place in town, the local DQ said "fuck it, we're gonna serve breakfast."  I remember having some of the best damned biscuits and gravy ever there.  Kinda liked that local DQs would just do their own thing in addition to the standard menu.

I believe some small town DQs leases or franchise fee was based on how many dipped cones they sold.  So as they added different types of desserts and other food, the percentage of sales that were dipped cones dropped significantly.  And the franchise owners were killing it.

In the early '80s my family stopped at a DQ for breakfast (do they have breakfast?) or maybe early lunch in Amarillo (I think) on our way to Colorado. I recall the ladies working there were still wearing nightgowns and bathrobes and had their hair up in rollers. It was bizarre.

CSB time. When in H.S. a friend’s dad owned the DQ across the street from the campus. We used to go in there all the time in the late hours and eat all kinds of food. We would take the trinket vending machine and turn it upside down and shake it real hard until all the quarters came out, which we used on the video games. There were a few instances when cops would roll up thinking they had a burglary in process. Good times.

The dude also used to give me these half gallon cans of the queso that DQ used. I loved that crap.

In the early '80s my family stopped at a DQ for breakfast (do they have breakfast?) or maybe early lunch in Amarillo (I think) on our way to Colorado. I recall the ladies working there were still wearing nightgowns and bathrobes and had their hair up in rollers. It was bizarre.

We stopped at one in Trinidad on the way back from Denver, also in the early '80s. When my dad found they charged extra for fixin's (lettuce, tomatoes & such), he about blew a gasket.

I'd never heard him yell in public before, or since, but he hollered at the top of his lungs: "I AIN'T GONNA PAY EXTRY FOR SOME GOTDAM YANKEE BURGER!!!" And he proceeded to storm out the place.

Come to think of it, I'd never heard him say "gotdam" before, or since. Burgers, serious business.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Alco.  And it got replaced by Shopko, which amazingly doesn't seem like a downgrade.

Damned auto-correct.

Actually DQ and the other fast-food joints in Alpine should be alright, given the interstate traffic and the half-dozen law enforcement agencies in the area.

On 4/23/2018 at 12:51 PM, Stella Link said:

I've been to several DQs that are hole in the walls....very old and outdated.  But the food is always great.  Some of these are competing with very large and new truck stops / convenience stores too.

Yep, these are my favorite, too.  A real blast of nostalgia and steak fingers!

I hope some of those dinosaurs survive. the purge. 

It's funny / sad / cool seeing what has happened to old DQ's in Houston. There was one in Sharpstown near where I went to HS that is a shady doctors' office now. The one in Timbergrove / Lazybrook (where I live now) cycled through a Greek or Middle Eastern-run knock-off called Queen Burger and is now Hughie's, blue-collar Texas-Vietnamese fusion food and the best CFS this side of...well, anywhere. (They use filet mignon.)  

We have both Sonic and DQ up here in Albany and they’re not near as good as they are in Texas.  We do have another DQ about an hour from us that has that same Texas small town feel to it.  Now if we can just get a Whataburger and a Church’s, I’ll be set. 

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Literally every single Texan on their way to the mountains stops there. 

The Allsups in Clayton is nasty. A gigantic toilet of a gas station but has easy access to the highway and cheap gas. Just nasty on the inside.

And...they don't sell Diet Dr Pepper. Black mark and a pox on their house for that.

Edited by CHEF DIESEL

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/01/dq-will-now-be-enforcing-the-upside-down-blizzard.html

Wonder if it’s still enforced.

If you don’t know, Dairy Queen has this company policy where their signature confection, The Blizzard, is supposed to be served to customers upside down in order to prove its delicious thickness. Obviously, this policy has never been widely enforced from store to store, but starting in 2016 it will be. Yay?

In its “Upside Down or Free” campaign, Dairy Queen promises to flip your Blizzard around in front of you, or you will receive a coupon good for a free Blizzard on your next visit. Yes, even at the drive-thrus. 

So remember: if the next time you order a Blizzard and the minimum wage worker serving you doesn’t mess around with your food before giving it to you, you can call him out on it and look like a dick at the same time for demanding another free Blizzard.

We stopped in the DQ in Clayton to get drinks and take a pee break last July, wife walked into women’s restroom and immediately came back out and stated we were leaving and never coming back to this DQ. Dalhart has much better options if you plan ahead.