Dairy Queen slowly dying

chainsaw

I can hear DQ a callin,

dip cones n chicken strips.  

MM MMM

Yeah

It seems I just had it yesterday

Well maybe, but its about that time again.

heh heh heh

But I don't know what to do with those 

dip cones n chicken strips

They're callin' again.

Edited by zork
  • Like 1

I read an article years and years ago that backs up some of what was said on page 1
the gist of it was that DQ had a pretty weak franchise agreement from the start, but back in the day owner operators were just more likely to go along with things that they were ask to do
when Warren B took over DQ he started trying to get the franchise agreement updated and the Texas franchise holders specifically revolted and threatened to sue especially because things like steak fingers were going to go away and I think some of the burger names were going to change
they ended up basically being able to operate more independently, but as we can all see it ended up fucking them in the long run because so many operators have let their restaurants fall to pieces and turn onto greasy shit holes and quality and service has suffered
there was a DQ in front of Briargrove Park in Houston in the the 80s that had a whole menu of fucking Greek food all plastered on the walls written on shingles it was ridiculous and then I think they added some shit quality Mexican food as well in addition to the DQ offerings
as Sonics and Texas Burgers and other places that at least keep some standards and are newer instead of tired old falling apart shit have moved in the DQs in Texas have just gone to hell

The one in front of Briargrove Park closed recently, add it to the list. Pretty sure the same Asian family owned that going back to the early 80's or whenever it first opened

48 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

The one in front of Briargrove Park closed recently, add it to the list. Pretty sure the same Asian family owned that going back to the early 80's or whenever it first opened

I can't believe it did not close 10 or 15 years ago

6 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Oh yeah, Butterfinger Blizzard is where it's at.  Heath and M&M are good, too.

Butterfinger is literally the only Blizzard a person should buy.

And yeah, the DQ in Lampasas isn't great, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Snickers Blizzard was discontinued at the Mt. Vernon DQ. FYI. Unacceptable, though the Oreo Blizzard was a good substitute. So maybe acceptable.

This is where we hunt and I stopped in for steak fingers once.
Once..

I’ve had a Kit Kat Blizzard at one in Garland. It shut down a week later and I’ve never seen another place offer it.

On May 4, 2018 at 12:59 AM, Sam Lin said:

Dairy Queen in Thailand are all dessert only - ice cream, sundaes, ice cream cakes, Dilly Bars, Blizzards, etc. No cooked items anywhere. Note the biggest Blizzard is "Take Home" size and is about half of a US Large. The sweet spot is the large chocolate dipped cone for 20thb, or 70 cents. They have seasonal fruit flavors like mango, passionfruit, mangosteen. Dilly bar flavors vary location to location, chocolate with peanuts has been the hardest to reliably get.

Zw-80-kVrfzPj4CTwNwummypypDxD6j-RBxYD-AB

ZwBo2PC4E7RtB6icqU5Db_UI_p7tZZ--q-J3RZ8B

All about the dipped cone:

XjRtIrploiLOMlfwUO7mlCUL83veTQmDvqbb49Cj

Thailand has come a long way since I was there.

Went to the one on Stassney yesterday to get my kid a blizzard and a dipped cone for me. I was shocked when I saw chocolate soft-serve on the drive through menu. One large dipped chocolate cone for me, please.... I've been wanting them to do this forever, and now they're gonna close? 

• 4 years later...

If you’ve ever visited a Dairy Queen in Texas (or even the DQ Texas website) you might’ve come across the slogan “That’s What I Like About Texas”. This is quite a change from the DQ slogan we’ve seen everywhere else: “Happy Tastes Good”. And it’s far from the only thing that’s different about DQ in Texas.

Dairy Queens in Texas feature menu items that you might not find anywhere else, ranging from nachos and tacos to some very different burger offerings. We hear they might even have their own jingle for commercials! That’s not too surprising. Here’s what you need to know before you hit up a DQ in Texas.

Here’s What to Expect From DQ’s Texas Menu

With Texas, you expect to go big, and the Texas DQ doesn’t disappoint. Texas-exclusive offerings include (but are definitely not limited to):

The Hungr-Buster: a quarter-pounder with onions, tomatoes, lettuce, pickles and mustard
The Belt-Buster: a burger that doubles up on the quarter-pound patties
The Triple-Buster: yep, this triples the patties
The Dude Chik’n Fried Steak Sandwich: fried steak with lettuce, tomatoes and salad dressing
Steak Finger Country Basket: crunchy fried steak strips
Of course, that’s not all! When in Texas, you expect some Mexican-inspired fare, and the Texas DQ doesn’t disappoint. Here’s what else you can find on the menu:

Texas T-Brand Tacos
Nachos Deluxe
Beef Taco Salad
Grilled Chicken Taco Salad

Why Does Dairy Queen Have a Different Menu in Texas?
Your first response might be to think that it’s because Dairy Queen started in Texas. You’re not the only one who’d think that—as of 2017, Texas had the most Dairy Queens of any state, at approximately 600. The very first Dairy Queen was actually opened in Joliet, Illinois, even though the chain is so popular in Texas, it’s literally known as “the Texas stop sign”.

But there is a reason for that unique menu, and it involves some selling and buying. International Dairy Queen sold its franchising rights in Texas to Rolly Klose in around 1947, who in turn sold exclusive rights for DQ to several restauranteurs who began to experiment with offerings beyond the usual soft-serve and desserts. When Texas Dairy Queen was repurchased by International DQ in 1980, the restauranteurs negotiated with the company to allow them to continue with the Texas-exclusive items and their own brand of marketing.

These items aren’t the only unique things created by franchisees—even the iconic Blizzard was a franchisee creation.

Can I Get ‘Em at DQs Outside Texas?
Unfortunately, these items are Texas exclusives—you’ll have to head down to the Lone Star state to get ’em. However, the DQ secret menu has some items that you can get no matter where in the country you are, as long as you have a store nearby. Indulge in a Butterbeer Blizzard, or add some nostalgia with the Jack and Jill Sundae or the Peanut Butter Bash Sundae—the possibilities are endless!

If you're ever up Northern Colorado way, just south of Fort Collins is the DQ franchise that holds the top position nationwide, 4 years running.

Loveland Dairy Queen named No. 1 nationwide treat location for fourth consecutive year

Their chili cheese dogs are excellent even though they lack a grill to toast the damn buns. They make blizzards to perfection.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, RPM said:

They are still going strong in rural North Texas. I know of a half dozen in Wise, Jack, Montage and Young. All are owned by 2 franchisees and offer almost identical off the menu fare. Fridays are AYCE catfish.

The ones in Austin are mostly (maybe all?) “Mayfield Dairy Queens” because of the franchise owner (who also owns Wally’s on Mesa). And he’s expanding, I know that there’s at least 2 new ones in NW Austin that have opened in the past couple of years. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, pacman said:

Generally true but the worst DQ in the world sits in a Riviera, Tx.

Ree - Vera pendejo.  Riviera is in France.

And Linden, Texas is in a whole ‘nother league of suckitude when it comes to DQ.  I am boycotting it.

• Haha 1

If you're ever up Northern Colorado way, just south of Fort Collins is the DQ franchise that holds the top position nationwide, 4 years running.
Loveland Dairy Queen named No. 1 nationwide treat location for fourth consecutive year
Their chili cheese dogs are excellent even though they lack a grill to toast the damn buns. They make blizzards to perfection.

Do they have the Texas DQ menu?
  • Drool 1

38 minutes ago, hornian said:

The ones in Austin are mostly (maybe all?) “Mayfield Dairy Queens” because of the franchise owner (who also owns Wally’s on Mesa). And he’s expanding, I know that there’s at least 2 new ones in NW Austin that have opened in the past couple of years. 

These are owned by Hollis Jones and the Richeson Family.

54 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Ree - Vera pendejo.  Riviera is in France.

And Linden, Texas is in a whole ‘nother league of suckitude when it comes to DQ.  I am boycotting it.

Passed by it many time... kept going.  Rather eat at the Pit Grill in New Boston.  And I haven't done that in 15 years.

41 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Do they have the Texas DQ menu?

The food menu is limited because they don't have a grill. Hotdogs, bratwursts, chili, pulled pork, pretzels. I've stopped there maybe 4 times and their staff is impressive particularly for a fast food place. Pictures are from google...the place has quite the set-up with a huge lot, drive through, outside tables, statues...the drive through is huge.

AF1QipMaf6l1188VDA5nLdoVHwGM5f-PodQxj2PVAF1QipOv8lUFJbnljdSjSU4EiwNMJWDPmjqR8FvdAF1QipN_q0n5y3d96jfy7mS2uXCZdFZAzDf0vi_oAF1QipNKbuxr42epBJ3qB08TAJBBeGRPvfLf0zVT

13 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

Yeah, RPM is wrong on this one.  The Mayfield ones are separate and not owned by Richeson.

When TF did I ever say they were? Different DQs, different places, different owners. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

40 minutes ago, RPM said:

These are owned by Hollis Jones and the Richeson Family.

These, referring to the ones in Wise, Jack, Montague and Young I mentioned in post 228. Please try to keep up.

Edited by RPM

41 minutes ago, RPM said:

I'm sure we aren't. The franchise territories in Texas are pretty much set in stone.

https://www.richesondq.com/about.html

Not sure I’d put this story on my website:

“Ms. Richeson was ahead of her time but is no stranger to hard work. As one story goes she was so tired at the end of a long day working not only at her Dairy Queen but also another full time position, she got home at 2am and drove her car not into, but through the house! She almost ran over her husband; electricity sparked, gas and water spewed and fortunately no one was injured.” The 

• Hook 'Em 1