Do You Like Tolkien and Middle Earth? Because You're Getting More in mid-2021

atomheartbevo

Just in time to prime the pumps for Amazon's Lord of the Ring TV series, and their upcoming MMO.

http://www.cnn.com/style/article/tolkien-collection-middle-earth-intl-scli-gbr/?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

A "treasure trove" of previously unseen writings by "The Lord of the Rings" author J.R.R. Tolkien exploring Middle-earth will be published in June 2021, publisher HarperCollins has confirmed. 

The collection, titled "The Nature of Middle-earth," will "transport readers back to the world of 'The Silmarillion,' 'Unfinished Tales' and 'The Lord of the Rings,'" the publisher said Thursday.

"It is well known that J.R.R. Tolkien published 'The Hobbit' in1937 and 'The Lord of the Rings' in 1954-5. What may be less known is that he continued to write about Middle-earth in the decades that followed, right up until the years before his death in 1973," Chris Smith, HarperCollins deputy publishing director, said in a statement.

"For him, Middle-earth was part of an entire world to be explored, and the writings in 'The Nature of Middle-earth' reveal the journeys that he took as he sought to better understand his unique creation," Smith added. 

The collection will explore a range of fantastical themes, including Elvish immortality and reincarnation and the geography of the settings of some of Tolkien's most famed fantasy epics, Smith added. 

"This new collection is a veritable treasure-trove offering readers a chance to peer over Professor Tolkien's shoulder at the very moment of discovery: and on every page, Middle-earth is once again brought to extraordinary life," he said. 

The collection will be edited by Carl F. Hostetter, a leading Tolkien expert, the head of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship, and a NASA computer engineer.

And of course, a leading Tolkien and Elvish linguistics expert would also be a NASA computer engineer.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

We all know it's really Brandon Sanderson writing this stuff.

If it was, I’d buy it.  I’ve read The Hobbit and LotR but since I’ve never ventured into The Silmarillion or any of the others I doubt I’ll jump into these unless people go absolutely crazy for them.

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I read The Silmarillion and all that other stuff back in Jr. High and early High School.  I found it pretty tedious then, but I wonder what I might think of it now.

There was about a five year period where I read everything there was to read by Tolkien.  

Don't bother, still tedious.

• 2 years later...