Markets still falling like whoa

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

When the S/P hits 2000 I'm coming in.  I think Oil may be a good play at some point around then...what's the best way to invest in oil?  Really no clue here. 

I got a really really good deal on some Barnett shale overrides. 

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You fuckers are full of great advice.  I guess I'll go with Aramco...however the hell I get my money in that shit.  Actually, I think I'd feel a bit guilty about that shit.  God damn conscience.  Always fucking things up. 

Research COP and CVX...

Also this might be a good read

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/investing/T052-S001-the-10-best-energy-stocks-to-buy-for-2020/index.html

5 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I know it was said upthread but still a bit crazy we’re only back to where we were Dec 2018.
Easy money come, easy money go.

7cf9650f3a9209719b35f03ed5d93c7a.jpg

It's more indicative of how much the market ramped up at the end of the bull run.  This is also why the dot com crash doesn't show up on the graph.

Pre open limit down so we’re already 5% in the hole.

Mnuchin conversation regarding congress passing relief bill leaked by Bloomberg warning of 20% unemployment if they don’t act. I can’t imagine the numbers they’re considering if that’s the do-nothing result (surely it’s part fear mongering on his part too)

“He told the senators that he believes the economic fallout from the coronavirus is potentially worse than the 2008 financial crisis. Extraordinarily high unemployment, he said, is a possibility if lawmakers don’t swiftly provide financial assistance to wage workers and small- and medium-sized businesses.”

35 minutes ago, bluto said:

Pre open limit down so we’re already 5% in the hole.

Mnuchin conversation regarding congress passing relief bill leaked by Bloomberg warning of 20% unemployment if they don’t act. I can’t imagine the numbers they’re considering if that’s the do-nothing result (surely it’s part fear mongering on his part too)

“He told the senators that he believes the economic fallout from the coronavirus is potentially worse than the 2008 financial crisis. Extraordinarily high unemployment, he said, is a possibility if lawmakers don’t swiftly provide financial assistance to wage workers and small- and medium-sized businesses.”

With how much money the fed is dumping (or trying to dump) into the economy while our federal response continues to be behind the curve, I'm genuinely concerned we will see some stagflation coming fast and strong. 

The president is going to keep dumping money in, because that's all he knows how to do. 

What do y'all think?

1 minute ago, The People’s Elbow said:

What’s different about those? They look to me like the normal, everyday circuit breakers. 

Those are the same everyday circuit breakers, Parliament posted that he did note cards everyday - so I did it on a quick spreadsheet and now (half joking) have been posting them here, for him and others.

Except I think that those are yesterdays circuit breakers, as  I only changed the date - try this on for today

S-P-limit-calculator-3-18-2020

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Surly stock experts:

What is the dynamic that is behind alternating up and down days over the couple weeks?

Given the news wouldn't continuous down make more logical sense?   or  if "short squeeze" dynamics, ups and downs intraday.

It's tough to definitively attribute anything since it's so recent, but I would argue that it would be the billions that the federal government has been dumping into the market that has driven the up and down behavior. 

It cannot be overstated just how much fucking disinformation is out there right now. The markets were not acting rationally all through January and February, and we are seeing the after-effect of people trying to keep the music going after the party's over.

It's a real blood bath out there. I'm still investing in my 401K and I'd like to bump my contribution if I was confident that I might not need the extra cash. I was lucky enough that I had cash sitting in my investment accounts so I'm starting to make buys on stocks that I liked previously but have fallen significantly... mostly tech and a little bit of O&G.

• Like 1

Sticking to s/p 2000 and not an if but when. The hospitals are just getting the ramp up.  Hoping the antiviral cocktails keep things at bay. So far, I’d say there’s hope.  

On the way in today the streets were completely empty. Have never seen anything like it around these parts.  I think people finally get it or are being shamed into getting it.  Either way, we will take it.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

its been fun watching this train crash for the last few weeks, but is anyone else getting a bit of fatigue? 

Welcome to watching a bubble pop in real time, my dude. Last several years have been extremely top-heavy and short term focused growth. It shouldn't be a surprise when a major disruption interrupts short term plans, and things go to shit because every major business has been eating their seed stock because SHAREHOLDER PROFITS BAYBEEEE

What's happening is the direct result of the last decade of recovery not being reinvested in to the business and employees and instead being skimmed off to satisfy shareholders, which always includes the senior leadership of said companies making short-sighted decisions.

Maybe yall fuckers should have bought less avocado toast.

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Welcome to watching a bubble pop in real time, my dude. Last several years have been extremely top-heavy and short term focused growth. It shouldn't be a surprise when a major disruption interrupts short term plans, and things go to shit because every major business has been eating their seed stock because SHAREHOLDER PROFITS BAYBEEEE

What's happening is the direct result of the last decade of recovery not being reinvested in to the business and employees and instead being skimmed off to satisfy shareholders, which always includes the senior leadership of said companies making short-sighted decisions.

Whatever...to quote a banker I talked to yesterday.

"No one can have the current conditions stress tested.  It would be like building a business model for bombs being dropped"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

While the last several years have been a boom to stock market investors, this crisis was not triggered by a bubble rather by a pandemic; but don't let that ruin your narrative

22 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

its been fun watching this train crash for the last few weeks, but is anyone else getting a bit of fatigue? 

Fatigue?  I've been beyond fatigue for weeks.  This is starting to become real life altering levels of stress an concern.  I've had to shorten my working/attention hours to about 4-5 per day so I don't overload.  

Just now, Incredulity said:

Whatever...to quote a banker I talked to yesterday.

"No one can have the current conditions stress tested.  It would be like building a business model for bombs being dropped"

I agree completely with that statement. I'm saying that maybe these businesses would be in better shape if they had paid debts and reinvested the 1.5 trillion dollar tax cut (and other financial windfalls) into the business instead of buying back shares to increase shareholder profits.

You're missing the point if you think I'm criticizing the lack of planning for this specific scenario. I'm saying the fact that we're in this place of multiple national security-critical industries needing bailouts for as much as they got in tax breaks last year, is a pretty clear indicator that our corporate sector has not been good stewards of their finances.

And for some reason, we don't hold corporations to the same standards of personal responsibility that we do for workers.

• Like 6