Markets still falling like whoa

Need a little advice from the Surly 1%ers.....

I have a list of about 20 stocks with ten bagger growth potential that I would like to buy, but I have no cash to do so and will not use margin. I bought a pauper's palm of AMZN a few years back (i should have poured every dollar into it instead) and I've realized a 535% return since. Would it be a mistake to liquidate that position and use that money to diversify or should I find some other way to come up with more trading money and hold AMZN long term?

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I have a list of about 20 stocks with ten bagger growth potential that I would like to buy, but I have no cash to do so and will not use margin. I bought a pauper's palm of AMZN a few years back (i should have poured every dollar into it instead) and I've realized a 535% return since. Would it be a mistake to liquidate that position and use that money to diversify or should I find some other way to come up with more trading money and hold AMZN long term?

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

you need to decide which scenario is likely to increase in value more over your time frame. is AMZN going to be a 10 bagger from here? will all 20 stocks hit or only 1 or 2? if only 2 hit, will that bring in more money than however much AMZN increases in value?

if we all had crystal balls we'd all be rich!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Welp, down 1500 this morning across all my accounts.  I have lost 6-8k over the last two weeks.  I know it isn't as much as some of you, but jesus.  That is 1/4 of my value.

25%?? Over the past 2 weeks? I've lost maybe 1% over that time. Have you considered index ETFs? I don't think you can really go wrong with VTI, SCHB, IVV, QQQ, etc... Sure it's not sexy, but at least you can just laugh at Elon's dumb fuck tweets rather than getting but fucked.

25%?? Over the past 2 weeks? I've lost maybe 1% over that time. Have you considered index ETFs? I don't think you can really go wrong with VTI, SCHB, IVV, QQQ, etc... Sure it's not sexy, but at least you can just laugh at Elon's dumb fuck tweets rather than getting but fucked.

Good lord you’re lame! (Joking of course)
  • Haha 1

This is my play account. Not my retirement accounts. Those are in indexes and funds.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Welp, down 1500 this morning across all my accounts.  I have lost 6-8k over the last two weeks.  I know it isn't as much as some of you, but jesus.  That is 1/4 of my value.

You’ve never lost unless you sold on the dips.

I am still up on my investment in, but fuck.

Then you wouldn’t have lost even if you sold. A small win, is still a win.

Keep some cash handy in your play account for big dips. It makes red days more fun, knowing you’re purchasing good stocks while they’re on sale.

This is my play account. Not my retirement accounts. Those are in indexes and funds.

I think a play account can still use ETFs pretty heavily, especially ones from people like ARK. 

I have  following ETFs included in my play account:

VTI

BOTZ

BMED

ICLN

EDOC

CHIQ

SCHH

AIQ

ARKK

ARKQ

TAN

VYM

LIT

SNSR

SUBZ

Of course my play account may be different than your play account. I don't plan on selling any of them for decades.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I think a play account can still use ETFs pretty heavily, especially ones from people like ARK. 

VTI

BOTZ

BMED

ICLN

EDOC

CHIQ

SCHH

AIQ

ARKK

ARKQ

TAN

VYM

LIT

SNSR

SUBZ

Of course my play account may be different than your play account. I don't plan on selling any of them for decades.

So, like, retirement.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

VTI

BOTZ

BMED

ICLN

EDOC

CHIQ

SCHH

AIQ

ARKK

ARKQ

TAN

VYM

LIT

SNSR

SUBZ

Yeah, my play accounts are really more short term (sometimes days, sometimes weeks or months).  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

You’ve never lost unless you sold on the dips.

Then you wouldn’t have lost even if you sold. A small win, is still a win.

Keep some cash handy in your play account for big dips. It makes red days more fun, knowing you’re purchasing good stocks while they’re on sale.

Yep.  Working on doing that at the moment.  

Question, do we think this dip is temporary?  I feel like the excitement in the market flailed as the stimulus is taking longer to get passed.  I feel like once it passes, or passage is inevitable, we will see a rise.  Maybe not as high, but investors are fleeing tech stocks due to interest rates, and with new money hitting the economy, I would imagine interest rates would fall again.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Question, do we think this dip is temporary?  I feel like the excitement in the market flailed as the stimulus is taking longer to get passed.  I feel like once it passes, or passage is inevitable, we will see a rise.  Maybe not as high, but investors are fleeing tech stocks due to interest rates, and with new money hitting the economy, I would imagine interest rates would fall again.

I think the stimulus is completely baked in at this point to be honest.  

In response to a questions posed by Congressman Warren Davidson about whether “M2 [money supply] going up by 25% in one year” is going to “diminish the value of the U.S. dollar,” Powell responded, “there was a time when monetary policy aggregates were important determinants of inflation and that has not been the case for a long time.”

Powell added that “the correlation between different aggregates [like] M2 and inflation is just very, very low, and you see that now where inflation is at 1.4% for this year. Inflation dynamics evolve over time, but they don’t tend to change overnight.”

https://www.kitco.com/news/2021-02-24/Jerome-Powell-says-money-printing-doesn-t-lead-to-inflation.html

Asset bubbles aren't inflation, so cool, cool...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

12 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Nearly 3% drop today? Da fuq?

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

No shit. We recession now boys?

The last week or so has been rough, but today seemed to be primarily just GME squeeze fear.  VIX has basically just been shadowing GME since yesterday afternoon. Also, the last half of February is usually a down time for the market. Here's to rallying next month.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 12:02 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I feel like the excitement in the market flailed as the stimulus is taking longer to get passed.

I’m sure our politicians have a price point they’re looking for, so they can buy the ultimate dip, before approving any stimulus. Just be patient and let them double their money. Then we can fight over scraps. Kind of joking...

• Like 1

Nikola Q4 earnings.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4409268-nikola-corporation-nkla-ceo-mark-russell-on-q4-2020-results-earnings-call-transcript

This is some of the stupidest, funniest, most insane ridiculous shit I have ever read.  Im actually offended how such blatant bullshit is still traded on the market and not SEC'ed to death.  If I'd to break down all the retarded thing in here, i'd run up all the surly bandwidth.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Nikola Q4 earnings.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4409268-nikola-corporation-nkla-ceo-mark-russell-on-q4-2020-results-earnings-call-transcript

This is some of the stupidest, funniest, most insane ridiculous shit I have ever read.  Im actually offended how such blatant bullshit is still traded on the market and not SEC'ed to death.  If I'd to break down all the retarded thing in here, i'd run up all the surly bandwidth.

Stocks down 2%.  Lol

stabilizers holding during this nascent bond tantrum, for the moment. (2013 was the last bond tantrum).

One perspective - from Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-02-26/treasury-bond-tantrum-is-a-big-test-of-central-banks-mettle

. . . For developed stock markets, the question is whether a spike in bond yields can upset valuations.

• Tech, which has benefited tremendously from the conditions of the last year, is obviously the source of greatest concern (although to be fair, investors are sitting on fat profits in the sector).
  • Over the last five years, the MSCI World as a whole has shown a tendency to hit a plateau and decline when tech earnings yields drop too far compared to 10-year Treasury yields.
  • That choke point was passed a week ago, and has been followed with this week’s exciting events . . .

The author's conclusion: 

Spoiler

This is decent evidence that bond yields have reached a high enough level to thwart further advances in the stock market. It isn’t yet clear that they would on their own drive a major fall.

On this basis, investors might want to fill up on U.S. banks, U.S. automakers, and European utilities. Banks in particular are already doing well. U.S. retail is, by a country mile, the sector you most want to avoid. 

Those, I think, are the best guidelines for now. In the longer term, the questions over whether bets on reflation are justified will rest on fascinating and profound issues of macroeconomics (and epidemiology). A true bond tantrum could yet turn into the fixed-income bear market that many of us have been bracing for. For now, this is a big market test of the central banks. It’s their move next.

Watch yer ass and good luck. Know your limits, Master Wayne.

Women: Know Your Limits - Imgflip

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1