Markets still falling like whoa

On 3/9/2022 at 1:42 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Bought some 3/14 $417 SPY puts, because I didn't want that money.

Now you can make $$$ trading opposite me, just like everyone else does.

Just remember there is someone on the other side of every option trade that you make; and they think they are going to make money too.

Easy money, for you not me.

I sold there's options in 3 transactions, and netted myself a tidy loss of about 60%.

Then SPY closes right on the number, luckily I did the last few late in the session because it looked like they might close ITM and if have sold a couple hundred shares at a net $5 under market value ( at least these are covered options)

8 minutes ago, Blotto said:

image.png.d3b37581d343d57d1b144b6f78020162.png

Just your standard 1.5% fall and 1.5% rise over the course of an hour or two. Algorithms doing work......getting paid.

not enough to form a betting strategy on every monthly FOMC.... but it seems that if the market makes a big move one directly after FOMC, its gonna flip and go the opposite

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

not enough to form a betting strategy on every monthly FOMC.... but it seems that if the market makes a big move one directly after FOMC, its gonna flip and go the opposite

First move is always wrong.

Bought some calls on 20y treasury bond etf (tlt). 

its been taking a shit since all the expectations of increased interest rates. But because the bonds themselves have taken a shit, some institutions and funds might have to buy into them in a rebalance, even if discretionary traders are bearish on them

• Hook 'Em 1

Late February, I made the unstonkyest of investments - took some of the money I'd sidelined out of SPY which is not really a managed fund and put it into BRK.B and it is only up 18% while SPY is "only" up about 5.5% for that month

Of course I can't/won't play options for/against a company with outstanding results and a 91 year old CEO and his 98 year old sidekick.

China covid shutdowns proving to be more persistent than originally thought, Ukraine war, energy shitshow in Europe because of war, inflation/supply chain concerns (global and domestic), a series of interest rate increases because of inflation, fed beginning to taper balance sheet this month.....all that and markets are trending up and volatility is trending down. My "something's fucky" sensor is starting to heat up about like it did around Feb of 2020. At least options premiums are cheaper than they were a month ago. 

@Wally Fairway, do me a favor and stay away or better yet, buy SPY/QQQ calls.

• Haha 1

Could someone please explain how this weekly reporting every Monday in the WSJ accurately reflect buying and selling by sector?  The selling way outweighs the buying on any given Monday regardless of the market conditions previous week.  How can this be?  I presume it takes deritives into account too.

https://imgur.com/58xLplQ

Edited by BevoSwag

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

NFLX down 23% AH after losing subscribers for the first time in 10 years.  ouch.  Tomorrow should be cool.  

I did my part, ending my subscription in March after their latest price hike announcement. It wasnt so much the amount of the price hike, but the announcement itself  got me thinking about how little I actually watch it these days(hardly ever), and it just sat there on autopay sucking money out of me.  I also have access to Amazon Prime video which I hardly ever watch, so this will theoretically get me to check that out. NFLX now down about 65% from its peak of $700 end of last year, and I still wouldn't touch it. 

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I did my part, ending my subscription in March after their latest price hike announcement. It wasnt so much the amount of the price hike, but the announcement itself  got me thinking about how little I actually watch it these days(hardly ever), and it just sat there on autopay sucking money out of me.  I also have access to Amazon Prime video which I hardly ever watch, so this will theoretically get me to check that out. NFLX now down about 65% from its peak of $700 end of last year, and I still wouldn't touch it. 

There are so many competitors with quality TV that it makes sense.  Particularly given how little time we have for TV (even though we are in the golden age of content).  I'm slogging through a couple of items on netflix now but won't be surprised if we toggle off for a few months soon to catch up on other stuff and just move around between the various platforms.  

14 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

NFLX down 23% AH after losing subscribers for the first time in 10 years.  ouch.  Tomorrow should be cool.  

$700 to $250 in 6 months is a spectacular drop for a bluechip member of FAANG.  Like $300 to $100 for ZM.

What a wild start to a decade this is.