Markets still falling like whoa

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

My employer's stock is down to it's 12 month low, so I but in a limit order for a bit cheaper than that.  Bad idea jeans?  Wally, I'm talking to you.

I could tell you it's a bad idea, or I could say it might be a great idea; but for a full evaluation I need to know your portfolio value, date of birth, last 4 of your SSN, color of your first car, mothers maiden name, 3 digit code on the back of your VISA card, and a copy of a voided personal check. Don't bother sending them in a PM, just post it all in this thread.

Or you could just by some call LEAPs on your employer stock. if they are offered/listed. Go big or go home. 🚀
Good luck

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I could tell you it's a bad idea, or I could say it might be a great idea; but for a full evaluation I need to know your portfolio value, date of birth, last 4 of your SSN, color of your first car, mothers maiden name, 3 digit code on the back of your VISA card, and a copy of a voided personal check. Don't bother sending them in a PM, just post it all in this thread.

Or you could just by some call LEAPs on your employer stock. if they are offered/listed. Go big or go home. 🚀
Good luck

proud and humbled to say i dumped my employers stock at its bottom and missed its 2x recovery.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

proud and humbled to say i dumped my employers stock at its bottom and missed its 2x recovery.

this is the way
I had a decent amount of Oxy stock back in the early 1990's when I worked there, and it did nothing (adjusted) it was low teens and fell to single digits until sometime in the 2000's. Glad I dumped that dog, swore I'd never own it again; and then Uncle Warren decided to bank them, and then buy a bunch.
I've known several people who had it all in their employer, paycheck, their 401k money, the company 401k money, money outside retirement accounts - and they lost damn near all of it, GM, Ford, and of course as a former Houstonite, Enron. Thankfully the folks I knew at Enron were young and had decades to recover, those at Ford & GM were older than me and they will never recover. To me doing that is a version of "don't shit where you eat"
Also, never roll a former employer 401k into a new employers plan, little good can come of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

this is the way
I had a decent amount of Oxy stock back in the early 1990's when I worked there, and it did nothing (adjusted) it was low teens and fell to single digits until sometime in the 2000's. Glad I dumped that dog, swore I'd never own it again; and then Uncle Warren decided to bank them, and then buy a bunch.
I've known several people who had it all in their employer, paycheck, their 401k money, the company 401k money, money outside retirement accounts - and they lost damn near all of it, GM, Ford, and of course as a former Houstonite, Enron. Thankfully the folks I knew at Enron were young and had decades to recover, those at Ford & GM were older than me and they will never recover. To me doing that is a version of "don't shit where you eat"
Also, never roll a former employer 401k into a new employers plan, little good can come of it.

I was working in the Pacific NW delegation during the power crises brought on by Enron and the subsequent collapse.  I knew several life time PGE people who lost everything, EVERYTHING in the collapse.  If they had divested and diversified, they would have retired petite millionaires.

Jan 17, 2025 Leaps for BRK.B just opened - seems to be a little pricy but then again it is 2.5 years of theta you are buying/selling

Thinking about selling $280 puts, and using the proceeds to buy $340/$350 calls; $340s would cost me $1.35, $350's would get me $2.20 per contract. 
It is a long period to hold, especially when you consider what could happen when/if Uncle Warren and Grandpa Charlie kick the bucket. I'm sure they have top men working on filling that gap but they will never lead the cult like the dynamic duo does. I really don't know what happens when all the shares they hold hit the market, because if they donate them the charity will have to liquidate, unless new mgmt institutes a dividend (which would cause Warren to roll-over in his urn).
Pick a strategy and plan ahead - I hope to buy the dip when new management takes control

Disclaimer - I first posted on July 22 about buying BRK leaps, BRK.B closed at $285.93 on that day; today it closed at $288.51 and I am currently sitting on 450 shares and 9 1/2024 calls for which I am down $750 (all on the $400 strike) and I'm down about 9% on my shares having averaged down as the market fell.

If only I'd have started taking a position in 1989 when I first heard of Berkshire Hathaway; but I have too many tales of woulda/shoulda/coulda. 
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future - fuck it, floor it

16 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

If pulling something out without having any idea, assuming the inflation number comes in check, I expect the rate hike to be 0.5%. 

I expect the number is going to come out in check.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

On 9/13/2022 at 2:36 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I understand it, but it still kinda cracks me up. 

CPI at 8.1%? To the fuckin' moon!

CPI at 8.3%? Abandon all hope ye who enter. Markets tank 3-4%. 

I was having this same talk with a buddy of mine regarding the arguments about whether the market has priced in the upcoming impending rate hike. 

It doesn’t matter if the CPI came in lower or greater than expected because the CPI was going to come in over 8 regardless. The only reactionary measure the the fed has to that is to raise rates, so even if it came in low, in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter because the is going to raise rates anyways. 

What matters then is the perception of the CPI being lower than expected does to the everyday investor, which is generally seen as positive sentiment to help slow sell offs and provide a buffer to some of the algorithms.

We live in such weird times investing wise because the market and global signals are all flashing red, but there is still enough ways to manipulate the algorithms to force the market to bounce. Combine that with retail traders and their desire to use the knowledge of how the algorithms work to squeeze shorts and we have a market that contradicts itself regularly.

39 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Today is when we buy? Right?

right?

So when the inflation print tanked the market, I told myself to give it three days of trading to wash out. Today I'll nibble a little bit.

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

So when the inflation print tanked the market, I told myself to give it three days of trading to wash out. Today I'll nibble a little bit.

Also, starting to actually look at some things like CDs and Treasuries. It won't beat inflation, but for things like emergency funds, you can actually get a little bit of return.