Markets still falling like whoa

Cramer says buy, Burry says sell...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/michael-burry-says-sell-and-jim-cramer-says-buy-as-the-fed-meets-heres-how-they-both-could-be-wrong-on-stocks-11675251459?mod=home-page 

Wally asks, Should I straddle some SPY calls and puts? Into JPow pending market wrecking announcement?

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/michael-burry-says-sell-and-jim-cramer-says-buy-as-the-fed-meets-heres-how-they-both-could-be-wrong-on-stocks-11675251459?mod=home-page 

Wally asks, Should I straddle some SPY calls and puts? Into JPow pending market wrecking announcement?

buy a strangle position, volatility pays you either way

• Hook 'Em 1

I think markets weren't paying attention when Powell said (repeatedly) that they aren't seeing disinflation in several areas that they need to see it and that we are still just in the early stages of the disinflation effects the Fed wants to realize.  Markets hoping the Fed rolls through the stop sign, but they are telling us the foot isn't coming off the brake until the car comes to a complete stop.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Well that’s a consensus to sell. Everyone knows that Cramer sucks so bad that if you do the opposite of his advice you win. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Well that’s a consensus to sell. Everyone knows that Cramer sucks so bad that if you do the opposite of his advice you win. 

Then again, everyone knows the investment adage about not following the herd. Wait, does that mean everyone should follow the herd? Wait, 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Burry sees it way too early and has to hold on for dear life. His Tesla bet is starting to pay off. 

I’m a Burry fan as well.

Marko Kolanovic has a pretty good track record and he is negative on stocks right now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/24/outright-negative-jpmorgans-kolanovic-sees-correction-hard-landing.html?&qsearchterm=marko kolanocic

19 hours ago, bernorange said:

I think markets weren't paying attention when Powell said (repeatedly) that they aren't seeing disinflation in several areas that they need to see it and that we are still just in the early stages of the disinflation effects the Fed wants to realize.  Markets hoping the Fed rolls through the stop sign, but they are telling us the foot isn't coming off the brake until the car comes to a complete stop.

agreed. The last two interest rate increases have been met by the market with, "fuck off, you're joking".  very, very weird.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

currently dow -.41%, s&p +1.4%.  biggest split i can remember

I don't get the infatuation (laziness) by the media to continue to hype the DJIA. I get why it was important when someone had to calculate averages by hand with adding machines; but now I can see the S&P 500 or Russell 3000 average instantly ( and get a detail of the components parsed 100 different ways).
I guess it is because of historical significance, and the crutch of comparing market performance to what happened 100 years ago.

That being said, what is the first rule of fight club surly investing?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Because of amazon's bad earnings IMO

Amazon's bad earnings and bad forward estimates 

Consumer credit card debt at all time high near $1tn in an increasing rate environment

Quite a few other metrics running against the consumer as well.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Consumer credit card debt at all time high near $1tn in an increasing rate environment

Amazon should extend credit lines to their customers. 

boom: instant flywheel. 

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

And this makes JPow very happy, I think his next speech includes "I love it when a plan comes together"