Markets still falling like whoa

14 hours ago, Parliament said:

I sold some TSLA back in December for $190.  lolololol

I sold calls struck at $160, so some shares were taken from me at that price. Never pulled back enough for me to buy back in :(

My kids account still holding shares at cost basis of $140 :)

Morgan Stanley issuing a warning that S&P could drop 25% in the next few months.  That would get us to the range I suspected a long while back should be the market discovery point (between 2800-3000).    I hope not, but there’s not a lot of things in a bill shift favor at this juncture.   

11 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Boy the past two weeks have put the hurt on my portfolio.  I thought I was positioned safely but there is nowhere to hide right now except maybe in money market or CDs.  

Lots of fun to watch the market realize the Fed is not going to stop the beatings until morale improves.

It actually kind of sounds like the beatings will not stop until morale implodes.

Edited by Snake Diggity

The thing I'm hanging onto is most "experts" think the 2nd half of the year will be a huge rebound and everything that's been lost in the last year and a half will be made up, and will end up even better. Yea, nobody knows anything for sure, but that's the consensus of everything I've read. 

Those consensus opinions were predicated on the Fed halting rate inceases mid year and possibly even starting to reverse and lower rates late year.  Those consensus expectations were irrationally exuberant.  The Fed *might* stop raising rates by year end, but they aren't lowering them this year.  Maybe not even next year.  Unless something major breaks and forces their hand anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

It is taking all my fortitude not to jump into SPY puts, but I know that if I do it would certainly stop the market slide - but if I don't the slide will continue.
I am cursed

13 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Take one for the team, Wally.

I sold about 20% of my SPY (long position today), and put into a money market account that earns >4%. 
Do with that what you think is prudent, follow my lead or use the time tested reverse Wally strategy (I've heard it works both ways)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

The thing I'm hanging onto is most "experts" think the 2nd half of the year will be a huge rebound and everything that's been lost in the last year and a half will be made up, and will end up even better. Yea, nobody knows anything for sure, but that's the consensus of everything I've read. 

I could live with that.

11 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I want what they’re having! Have a link to anyone that breaks down how we get from here to there? 

4 minutes ago, B00M said:

I want what they’re having! Have a link to anyone that breaks down how we get from here to there? 

Here are a couple.

https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2023/02/02/jeremy-siegel-expects-rate-cut-stock-surge-in-second-half-of-2023/

https://money.com/where-stock-market-heading-february-2023/

What is going on in the oil market? Seems rangebound between $70-$80, but swinging 3-4% every day.

I'd ask in the oil barons thread, but a certain poster dominates that thread and is a beating to try to interact with.

13 hours ago, bernorange said:

Seeing @Wally Fairway haranguing anyone for underwhelming market prognostication prowess is awesome.

You are not wrong - however I miss without bias both overestimating market as the rise and fall, ZH seems to be a perma-gloom&doom predictor.
I read them alot back when they were all over the pending Greece bond default, bankruptcy and contagion collapse of Euro based economy.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Parliament said:

My employer announced our 2022 financial results and they were very good.  Better even than the raised-guidance we put out in August.

Our stock price fell 4% in reply.  They also announced our cola is gonna be delayed "a few months."  Not cool, Guys 

2022 was a hundred years ago. What are you doing next quarter? That's all that matters to Wall Street.

28 minutes ago, Parliament said:

My employer announced our 2022 financial results and they were very good.  Better even than the raised-guidance we put out in August.

Our stock price fell 4% in reply.  They also announced our cola is gonna be delayed "a few months."  Not cool, Guys 

You mean the farva is delayed 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

BOHICA

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

So you work for Goldman Sachs, huh.

At Goldman Sachs’s second-ever investor day yesterday, the Wall Street bank conceded that one of its big bets wasn’t panning out. David Solomon, the firm’s C.E.O., said it would scale back its consumer-banking efforts.

But investors didn’t appear impressed by the long-anticipated announcement. Goldman’s shares dropped nearly 4 percent yesterday.

Edited by HamsterHookah