Markets still falling like whoa

GE-  Appears shareholders will get 80% of the healthcare company in a spin-off.

Details on the Baker-Hughes transaction aren't as clear, at least to me skimming the reports.  Looks like a sale rather than what they are doing with health.

Anyone else have more insight?  I admittedly haven't dug too deep. 

Edited by Reagan1k

My parent company, Lannett, just filed a restructuring of my site and put out a press release for it. 

Cutting 50 jobs in a town of 10,000 is going to cause issues here locally, as the only pharma facility in the entire state. I expect a lot of houses to go up for sale pretty soon.

Hoping it eventually gets investors looking to buy stock and run the price up a little. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

On 6/27/2018 at 2:57 PM, Reagan1k said:

GE-  Appears shareholders will get 80% of the healthcare company in a spin-off.

Details on the Baker-Hughes transaction aren't as clear, at least to me skimming the reports.  Looks like a sale rather than what they are doing with health.

Anyone else have more insight?  I admittedly haven't dug too deep. 

GE fucked the dog on the BH deal.  BH was floundering when the crash came and decimated their staffing in preparation for the eventually failed merger with HAL.  GE got nothing but a carcass and had no idea what to do with it.  Complete waste of money.

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

What are your thoughts on SBUX as a value stock?  It's down 15.5% since June 19th when they lowered their guidance, but dividends projected to grow 20%.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4184811-starbucks-start-paying-attention

They are killing it in China. I think this could be a break out stock in a few years as their investment pays off

On 6/29/2018 at 11:46 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

GE fucked the dog on the BH deal.  BH was floundering when the crash came and decimated their staffing in preparation for the eventually failed merger with HAL.  GE got nothing but a carcass and had no idea what to do with it.  Complete waste of money.

Low-down dirty shame.  Hughes Tool Company was a great Texas company.  Californicated by Baker, as a result of Pennzoil/Texaco, then horsefucked by Halliburton.

1 hour ago, swraith said:

I bought some a while back. Way to early while the knife was still falling. It has to rally back a fair bit before I think about breaking even.

If an SBUX response then I did the same; I purchased a small amount at end of June, but have no plans to divest.  IMO they did a good job of announcing they plan to reduce redundancy while maintaining wages.  In a couple weeks I'll decide if I'll add more.  

13 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Similar to Smith International getting wasted by Schlumbooger.

Were they?  I haven't really kept up.  At the time, I figured Smith's acquisition by the dominant player in oilfield services was just another blow against HTC in their slow death spiral.  Also, diamond bits ruined everything.  Except drilling I guess.  As was said to me once, "you can build the damn things in your garage."

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 6/29/2018 at 9:44 PM, Washpark said:

They are killing it in China. I think this could be a break out stock in a few years as their investment pays off

Bought a few hundred shares today in my 401K rollover account. After a few days of recovery, I feel less worried about catching a falling knife. But we shall see.

My cousin just came back for vacation (he moved to Shanghai 7 years ago for work) and he echoed what you said. Starbucks is becoming a player in China, and apparently one of the stores there "beats any Starbucks you'll ever see in the US."

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

Bought a few hundred shares today in my 401K rollover account. After a few days of recovery, I feel less worried about catching a falling knife. But we shall see.

My cousin just came back for vacation (he moved to Shanghai 7 years ago for work) and he echoed what you said. Starbucks is becoming a player in China, and apparently one of the stores there "beats any Starbucks you'll ever see in the US."

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

At some point these tariffs have to be priced into the market.  That are massive downsides to tariffs from a consumer spending standpoint and the market seems to go up a few hundred points every day just because.

This is my focus now. Do I move to all cash as trade war will cause a major correction?

On 4/18/2018 at 12:29 PM, Anastasis said:

Agree completely. I don't understand why the PBMs and retailers got hammered when AMZN hinted. If anything the amazon play would be a challenge to wholesalers like ABC (up 3% today btw). Amazon was never going to open a mail order pharmacy to compete against retail, and there was no way in hell that they were going to wade into the PBM segment. There were a few analysts who dismissed the nonsense, and rightfully so. And a few who bit hook line and sinker. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/amazon-to-acquire-online-pharmacy-pillpack.html

On 3/28/2018 at 10:42 AM, Anastasis said:

Somebody talk me out of buying AMZN. 

On 3/28/2018 at 11:00 AM, Captainant said:

Shit man I picked up a bunch of amazon at 1150 back in December, you're late to the party lol

AMZN is at 1,755. I bought around $900. I have a few hundred shares and want to cash in but damn stock keeps going up.

1 minute ago, Washpark said:

Yeah, I've been following the Pill Pack acquisition.  I was clearly wrong about them wanting to go online retail based on what was swirling in April. Pill Pack has a nice niche distribution model. I don't see their unit of use dispensing approach scaling broadly, but don't have a lot of insight on how they manage the complexities. The unit of use model generally creates a lot of wastage which is why it is only rarely used. I'd love to know how many patients they actually serve and what their margins are. I think that a wholesaler play would have made more sense, but clearly I don't have the best sense where Bezos is going with this. 

Traditional pharmacy is very low margin and highly regulated to the point I can't figure out why AMZN wants a part of it.  There are some high margin scripts but you can't ship those via mail because they have to be climate controlled.

Frequency

42 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Traditional pharmacy is very low margin and highly regulated to the point I can't figure out why AMZN wants a part of it.  There are some high margin scripts but you can't ship those via mail because they have to be climate controlled.

rep limit exceeded for the day. traditional retail pharmacy makes their money on front end. PBMs have the back end squeezed. I don't see the AMZN angle here, but clearly am a dumbass because I have no position in AMZN during one of the greatest runups in history. Specialty, which you are alluding to, makes more sense if your objective is to make money. But I am not sure that that is AMZN's objective here. 

Edited by Anastasis

If I am interpreting your post correctly, doesn't jive with the unit of use niche that Pill Pack occupies. 

Frequency of site visits impacts conversion which will result in higher total share of wallet. Amzn wants to own 100% share of wallet so you only buy from them which means you are buying all other products via their platform.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:50 PM, Trey3216 said:

Start writing covered calls

Talk to me. How does one go about it?

I trade through Wells Fargo brokerage (because I wanted to consolidate my accounts). They seem somewhat limited in what they can do.

Edited by Superhero

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:10 AM, Superhero said:

I've been looking at SBUX for a little while, and decided to buy some calls; but the market went against my orders Tues & Wed, finally filled the order yesterday for 5 10/19 $52.50 C - so I have a vested interest in this for the next 98 days. I wanted to go longer but the prices were to rich for my blood.

14 hours ago, Superhero said:

Talk to me. How does one go about it?

I trade through Wells Fargo brokerage (because I wanted to consolidate my accounts). They seem somewhat limited in what they can do.

Well, call customer service.  Tell them you want to write covered calls -- sell calls against stock you own.  You would probably be restricted to selling only the number of contracts truncated down to the nearest 100 lot of shares (assuming you don't own bizarro stocks with 10-lot options contracts or similar).  It's actually a less risky position than pure long stock, as long as the software doesn't allow you to sell the stock without buying back the call.

They'll make you fill out some paperwork and then classify you as "level 2" or some shit (of 5) as an option trader.

Be aware that any call that is in the money -- the strike price is at or below the stock price -- on a stock with an upcoming dividend will often lead to your stock being called away.  No dividend for you (but you get to keep the $ from selling the call).