2018 NFL Draft

Machinator

This is one of the more interesting drafts for me in recent history. First, the large number of first-round QBs creates plenty of storylines, as well as intriguing trade-down scenarios for teams picking high but not looking for a QB. Second, this draft will have the most Longhorns picked in at least 3 years, possibly 8.

Definitely interested in where our guys go, especially Conner and Malik.  Its too bad Holton couldn't keep his shit together, instead he's one of those character risk guys with immense talent who's going to have to earn his money on his 2nd contract if he can stay out of trouble.

Edited by coolsax

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's smokescreen season. Cleveland has been linked to Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield for the first pick. I don't think anyone actually knows what Dorsey wants to to do.

It seems like a GM at 2 or 3 trying to get someone to pay a ransom to trade up on the hope Darnold will be there.  It's sloppy and ridiculous so gonna guess it's Gettleman spreading that rumor.

I feel like there are too many question marks with all of the top QBs to get someone to give up three first round picks for the Giants number two. But GMs do dumb shit when they're desperate for a QB so anything can happen I suppose. I think I like Rosen the best, but what the fuck do I know.

14 hours ago, coolsax said:

Definitely interested in where our guys go, especially Conner and Malik.  Its too bad Holton couldn't keep his shit together, instead he's one of those character risk guys with immense talent who's going to have to earn his money on his 2nd contract if he can stay out of trouble.

Pretty much every mock I’ve seen has Holton to the Seahawks. He’s the PC prototype and apparently had a good visit.  As a Seahawk fan my fingers are crossed.  

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I feel like there are too many question marks with all of the top QBs to get someone to give up three first round picks for the Giants number two. But GMs do dumb shit when they're desperate for a QB so anything can happen I suppose. I think I like Rosen the best, but what the fuck do I know.

I think we are seeing the overvaluation of QBs reaching its peak. IMHO Allen is the only first round prospect of the bunch and he's a late first rounder at that. The rest are 2nd round or later quality. 

Edited by The Dog

57 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think we are seeing the overvaluation of QBs reaching its peak. IMHO Allen is the only first round prospect of the bunch and he's a late first rounder at that. The rest are 2nd round or later quality. 

This is what makes the draft so fun. I would have Allen ranked as the lowest of the five available QBs. Lulz. Dude has no accuracy and wasn’t all that great at Wyoming. Accuracy doesn’t improve usually and if he can’t perform at a high level for Wyoming, why will he be expected to do well at the NFL Level? If I’m taking a small school QB, I want him to dominat at a lower level, like Wentz.

To me, he’s the classic overrated QB prospect, he’s tall with a huge arm and decent mobility, but he’s not accurate and has shown no acumen for reading a defense. It seems like a huge stretch to assume those two factors, high are the most important for an NFL QB, will improve drastically once he gets to the NFL.

Allen is inconsistent in his throws, but I think his decision-making is even more suspect. I think he can be turned into a good QB in the right circumstances - definitely not the Browns.

I've said before I think the Giants would be an intriguing landing spot for him because they don't need to play him immediately and Shurmur has shown he can develop QBs.

Just now, Machinator said:

Allen is inconsistent in his throws, but I think his decision-making is even more suspect. I think he can be turned into a good QB in the right circumstances - definitely not the Browns.

I've said before I think the Giants would be an intriguing landing spot for him because they don't need to play him immediately and Shurmur has shown he can develop QBs.

Yeah, that's why I said he cant' read defenses along with being inaccurate. To me, those two combined are too much to overcome. I don't know that there are many systems that make up for both of those deficiencies, and if there are, wouldn't you rather have a tremendous athlete at the position, like Jackson who could a run threat to an offense that is simplistic enough to make up for inaccuracy and not making good reads?

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Could we draw it up any better?

Mayfield to the Browns?  It's like fucking Groundhog Day...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23301572/baker-mayfield-definitely-conversation-cleveland-browns-no-1-pick

Baker Mayfield "definitely" has been a part of the Cleveland Browns' considerations with the No. 1 draft pick, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, and the former Oklahoma quarterback cannot be ruled out as a possibility for the top overall selection Thursday night.

The source said the Browns may have already decided whom they would select at No. 1. But before that final decision, whenever it was made, Mayfield was in that conversation.

Saying that Mayfield is "part of the considerations," "cannot be ruled out as a possibility," and is "in that conversation," is about as definitive reporting as you can get, so itshappening.gif.

Just now, South Austin said:

Saying that Mayfield is "part of the considerations," "cannot be ruled out as a possibility," and is "in that conversation," is about as definitive reporting as you can get, so itshappening.gif.

I don't think you get it; he's not just "part of the considerations."  He's "definitely part of the considerations."  That makes the reporting much more definitive.

tenor.gif?itemid=8012899

I think with proper coaching and a decent supporting cast he's worth a shot because of his tools. The problem is that QBs are so highliy valued that the likelihood  he falls far enough to find such a situation is low. The Giants are the one decent destination high in the draft that he has a chance at succeeding, but who knows what their Big Board looks like, or if they even want to take a QB.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Could we draw it up any better?

Mayfield to the Browns?  It's like fucking Groundhog Day...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23301572/baker-mayfield-definitely-conversation-cleveland-browns-no-1-pick

lol - “hey, manziel really didn’t work out for us, so let’s waste another #1 on an undersized head case”

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol at any team taking a QB in this draft.... especially in the first round

Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, and yes, Mayfield, have the talent to be starting QBs by the end of their rookie seasons.

It's the most important position in pro football; you don't punt on the position because the prospects have flaws.

by the same token, if your game changers like JJWatt, ezekiel Elliott, or the oft discussed Jalen Ramsey are out there, why not go a different direction with QB?

There are only so many game changers.  It's been proven time and time again that the big shot Top pick QB who becomes the franchise is damned near a unicorn.

IMO there are just two generational talents in this draft: Barkley and Nelson, the OG from Notre Dame. Problem is they are at positions with relatively low positional value in the modern NFL. Futhermore, both interior OL and RB are very deep in this draft. The dropoff between the first-round QBs or edge rushers and the mid-rounds is much steeper this year.

That said, if Barkley falls to someone like the Colts, they should take him without hesitation. The Bears would be a good landing spot for Nelson.

I think Mayfield is gonna be a strong pro, unfortunately.  Accuracy is #1 trait for NFL qbs but overlooked. He has that plus a good arm.  Add his ultra competitiveness and intangibles that people seem to like.  Height is not as big a concern as it used to be. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Like 2

Just now, South Austin said:

But being a little bitch who can't control his emotions still is.

Like what?  The grabbing your crotch on the sidelines?  That shit means nothing. Y’all are blinded by the OU hate. 

If he has the smarts to run NFL offense, he’ll be good starter. 

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Like what?  The grabbing your crotch on the sidelines?  That shit means nothing. Y’all are blinded by the OU hate. 

Like having the kind of mental ineptitude that makes you throw a tantrum when a team like mother-fucking-Kansas starts talking trash. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daichee Bell said:

I think the Browns end up taking Barkley number one and then whatever QB is available at four. There’s not a huge distinction among the QBs. Tyrod Taylor is serviceable and better than anyone in Cleveland last year.

If they were smart they would roll with Taylor, but they aren't smart. They will burn a valuable pick on a QB that they will ruin again. 

If they were smart they would roll with Taylor, but they aren't smart. They will burn a valuable pick on a QB that they will ruin again. 

I agree. I think they’d be best off taking Barkley and then chubb at four. Taking a QB is more toward appeasing the fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who has watched the Bills should know that Tyrod is never going to be better than a mediocre starter in the NFL. The Browns might ruin the QB they take because of the slapdick they have at head coach, but that's not a good reason not to draft one, that's a reason to replace Hue Jackson. It's absolutely mind-bottling that they thought keeping him in the name of stability was a good idea.

Anyone who has watched the Bills should know that Tyrod is never going to be better than a mediocre starter in the NFL. The Browns might ruin the QB they take because of the slapdick they have at head coach, but that's not a good reason not to draft one, that's a reason to replace Hue Jackson. It's absolutely mind-bottling that they thought keeping him in the name of stability was a good idea.

Tyrod is OK. Dorsey is a good manager, but he’s been fine with game manager type quarterbacks in the past.

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

If ever there were a season to do the smart thing and trade down for a bunch of OL and DL picks, this is the one. All these QBs going in the first round, and most of them will be busts. it's like none of these guys has any kind of memory of previous drafts at all. Blows my mind.

8 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Tyrod is OK. Dorsey is a good manager, but he’s been fine with game manager type quarterbacks in the past.

That's fine. Play Tyrod this year and maybe into next year and draft the QB prospect you believe in the most with 1. Take whoever's available between Barkley and Bradley Chubb at 4, or trade down a couple spots and take Denzel Ward or Fitzpatrick (secondary needs some work). Use your ample number of draft picks to trade back into the late first and take an edge rusher or RB, whatever you didn't take with the top 2 picks.

Browns have the assets to both get very talented players overall, as well as address their glaring future need at QB.

Also, fire Hue Jackson.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

I agree. I think they’d be best off taking Barkley and then chubb at four. Taking a QB is more toward appeasing the fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn that's too many running backs for me. I would trade out of the #1 pick to stack some picks, then get Chubb at 4. I would then get DL, CB, and OL until the team is ready to build for the future. 

Then find a real head coach...

They guaranteed won't do any of that shit, the Browns will continue to be a fucking joke. I love it. Hope they pick Mayfield.

edit

Just read the rest of the comments, they are exactly what I was thinking. It's great a bunch of goofs on the internet can come up with a better long term strategy to build a football team than these highly paid assholes in their front office.

Edited by Sidney Sherman

I'm always intrigued by players who could go anywhere - players with prominent attributes and at least one prominent drawback.  And nobody knows how GMs will weight the factors.  This draft has a lot of those kinds of players.  A big portion of the UT players fall into that category.

Williams - but he regressed as a Soph

Jefferson - but he can't think

Dickson -  but he's a Punter

Hill - but he likes weed

Ford - but he's short

Elliott seems "normal" to me.  I think we have a good idea where he'll go.  The others could go in a wide range depending on how much some GM is willing to wink at the shortcoming.  Texas players obviously aren't the only ones like this.  Josh Allen looks like the most prominent one.  Rosen is maybe second.  Then Mayfield.

Usually I am prejudiced in favor of the guy who can play.  I have a great aversion to "problems", and a disdain for potential.  But sometime you gotta gamble.

• Haha 1

Although my feelings seem to jive with a lot of the talking head noise, I feel like Darnold has the highest floor followed closely by Rosen. Allen has the highest ceiling if he gets coached up and has time to learn and develop. Darnold, Allen, and Jackson seem like good people. Rosen and Mayfield seem like huge bitches with thin skin, but are probably the most ready to be thrown into the fire on Day 1. A lot of people seem to like Jackson more than VY as a prospect by praising his agility more than VY got credit for (lol VY til I die without apologies) while not scrutinizing the schemes that gave him wide open WRs down the field that he likely won’t get at the next level. Ultimately what will determine each of their fates is more about who coaches them and how/when they are used rather than who they are as a QB today.