• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I just peeped your other posts.  Seems like your "source" is on the UT side.  

Yes. Father in law works in Ohio as well. Can’t say too much because I will out my normal handle. Main source is from business partner on UT side. And, no, before anyone starts accusing me of claiming to be a BMD, I will admit that I am not. Business is small, but i meet people who work in various AD’s. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, RVC2005 said:

Yes. Father in law works in Ohio as well. Can’t say too much because I will out my normal handle. Main source is from business partner on UT side. And, no, before anyone starts accusing me of claiming to be a BMD, I will admit that I am not. Business is small, but i meet people who work in various AD’s. 

Are you Phil Knight?

Just now, RVC2005 said:

Fair enough.  If I had to bet my house on it, I think CDC lands Urban because I believe in CDC.  I also believe Urban has serious health issues.  Appreciate your contributions.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, RVC2005 said:

That's good enough for me. I've got my glizzy ready. 

56 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Fair enough.  If I had to bet my house on it, I think CDC lands Urban because I believe in CDC.  I also believe Urban has serious health issues.  Appreciate your contributions.

Hire Urbs and take out a huge life insurance policy. Some burgers, some beers a few laughs. Our fuckin troubles are over, dude

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Ryan Day seems to have the magic. Or would you consider that the same way Lincoln has the magic at ou? Like if either of those guys were at different schools, would they still be successful?

I think it is more of the established programs in place with a great pipeline to a revolving door of talent. Both had great QBs waiting for them and they have been running the conferences for a long time. Could either of them step into a program like UT and turn it around? Where they have inferior talent than they have at their respective spots right now? Not sure. But I know damn well Urban could do it. He has already proven that in all his stops. They remind me of when Switzer stepped in for Jimmy in Dallas. The blueprint was already there and the plethora of talent. I am fairly confident one of Saban's assistants could step in and keep the train moving. Bama already sells itself to the recruits.

This is why I am leary of the hot assistants for these big programs like Clemson, Ohio St, OU, Bama. How good are those guys to come to a program and turn it around when they don't have their comfortable powerhouse environment around them?

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think it is more of the established programs in place with a great pipeline to a revolving door of talent. Both had great QBs waiting for them and they have been running the conferences for a long time. Could either of them step into a program like UT and turn it around? Where they have inferior talent than they have at their respective spots right now? Not sure. But I know damn well Urban could do it. He has already proven that in all his stops. They remind me of when Switzer stepped in for Jimmy in Dallas. The blueprint was already there and the plethora of talent. I am fairly confident one of Saban's assistants could step in and keep the train moving. Bama already sells itself to the recruits.

This is why I am leary of the hot assistants for these big programs like Clemson, Ohio St, OU, Bama. How good are those guys to come to a program and turn it around when they don't have their comfortable powerhouse environment around them?

It boils down to us just needing to do a better job of evaluating coaching talent and hiring. That’s the difference between us and the schools you listed. They’ve done better hiring than we have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

You might notice I said winning coaches, none of those 3 are

Leach is 141-95.

not saying he is remotely a reasonable candidate, but your assessment is incorrect.

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Sigh.   It needs to be a splash.  But if not Urban:

1.  Cristobal.  I have questions about him since his resume is basically (a) can recruit, and (b) had two good years with a future All-Pro QB in a down Pac-12.  But I also think he really would recruit lights out - for real lights out like early Mack with 5 star future 1st rounders, not the Herman/Strong version of “lights out” recruiting where the super blue chips in Texas still go somewhere else.

2.  Matt Campbell.  Yes, he has lost games he shouldn’t.  But big picture, I don’t buy that he’s Herman 2.0.   Iowa State hasn’t won a conference championship since 1912, and he would win the Big 12 this year if the conference didn’t have a dumbass championship game after a full round robin schedule.  They innovated a new defensive approach at ISU on his watch.  He’s at least not a meathead like Herman who says “Run it back again, but this time impose your will!”   He’s at Iowa State, and in that context his resume is fairly good.  They should probably be the worst or second worst program in the conference, all else being equal.  

Cristobal was known as the dirtiest recruiter on Sabans staff.

Early on, I thought James Franklin was the best realistic non-Urban option, save for maybe Cristobal. Kelly clearly has reformed ND for good since their disastrous ‘16 season, but I think that’s his last job. Franklin has really yanked this season, so that removes him from consideration. They just don’t care anymore, and my Scarlet Knights might get a big W against them this year.

I think Lane Kiffin would be an extreme boom or bust hire. He is one of the best offensive minds in the sport and has fully embraced analytics to his benefit in situational football. However, he would only boom if he could keep hiring elite DCs one after another. Their defense is horrid (to be fair, they have minimal talent), so he’d need a cutting edge guy like Venables (though many have caught up) to field conference title caliber teams. I think he would absolutely kill it in recruiting in Austin. He’s also 1000x times more likable than Herman. 

A pretty good (though a bit snake oil salesman-like) Twitter follow is Dave Bartoo @cfbmatrix. He has a “coach effect” metric that’s pretty good and seemingly good efficiency metrics, but I think his coordinator metrics are pretty bad. Anyway, whenever Herman is fired, he’ll dole out some free opinions on who is/isn’t a fit. Fwiw, he (like Connelly’s SP+) was calling Herman’s success in ‘18 complete smoke and mirrors. He also gave Scott Frost the worst coach effect rating of any first year coach ever back in ‘18, and look what’s happening now.

Anyway, I think the obtainable hires rank as follows:

1. Urban

2. Cristobal

3. Fickell (assuming Marcus Freeman tags along)

4. Kiffin 

5. Tony Elliott

6. Campbell 

7. Tom Allen (FSU should’ve hired him because he knows Florida like the back of his hand)

8. Fleck (recruiting is clearly an issue)

The unobtainable hires rank as follows (not including guys like Saban/Dabo for obvious reasons):

1. Kelly

2. Mullen

3. Venables

4. Whittingham

Edited by George Clooney
  • Hook 'Em 2

Also, I have no inside info on this, but I think Urban’s arachnoid cyst issue would not prevent him from coaching again. However, his daughters and wife clearly don’t want him coaching because they’re understandably concerned about it since they’re family. He’d have Texas winning 11+ games a year as soon as there were even two NFL prospects on the o line.

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Perfect for your loser program

No thanks on him 

LOlz.  At least i'm not in denial.

How bout you pontificate about expectations for a bit...

Edited by slorch

5 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Leach is a loser

Hey it's awesome he not your cursed shopping list.  Hate em all you want.  Y'all excel at picking that perfect corch with no flaws....

Edited by slorch

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I'm not willing to wager on my house nor any acts featuring props from Top Secret, but I also believe in CDC.  He is very well aware of the expectations, and when he is able to replace Herman with someone who is capable of meeting them, I am confident that he will do so.  Whether it turns out to be Urban, someone on the OP list, or another capable coach remains to be seen, but it will be someone he has fully vetted, which is good enough for me.  Like most of you, I'm hopeful that this will happen sooner rather than later, but if it doesn't, it is because CDC isn't going to do a panic replacement to prioritize a single recruiting class over long term success.  This is exactly as it should be.       

• Hook 'Em 1

Just give me a coach smart enough to go steal OU’s offense. Good grief, Barry Switzer got the wishbone in 1970, two years after Royal implemented it.

We are now TWENTY years removed from the air raid being implemented at OU and they are still kicking our ass with variants of it. And the argument that OU hasn’t won a title has more to do with terrible defense than a dysfunctional offense.

Mack Brown is already winning more then he should with it at NC. It immediately adds 2-3 wins to a team, and perfecting it ala Riley can put you at the elite level again. Hell, even Saban and the SEC have figured out they have to really open up the offensive passing game.

• Hook 'Em 3

This thread is pointless. Urban will be here. More people know this on the Ohio state side, than the Texas side. 

I don’t doubt your source. Many have thought for awhile it was a done deal. But this recent rumor that he has reconsidered coaching again, at least for now, is what is causing the confusion.

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tony Elliott

Luke Fickell

Joe Brady

Would be my top 3 realistic candidates if there is no Meyer

Tony Elliot has one year as sole OC and has never been a HC at any level. Joe Brady is similar. I don't see us even looking at those guys. Luke Fickell looks like a good coach. Tom Allen may be even better. I'd take a look at Billy Napier at Lousiana too.

• immamac changed the title to The Surly Official 2020 Corching Search Thread of DOOM and DESPAIR