• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Fitzgerald would be stupid to leave NW. that’s home.

But I like him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I respect what he's done at Northwestern, but he strikes me as the type of coach who'll recruit 3 star "diamonds in the rough" that fit his culture. That's not the recipe for success at Texas. Never has been. It's the same reason I'm hesitant about Campbell. We need someone who can lock down the state and leverage every advantage Texas has.

Edited by TXpride

1 minute ago, TXpride said:

We need someone that can lock down the state.

Recruiting ability of the head coach has not and will never be the problem.  Charlie and Tom have had plenty of recruiting success.  We need a coach that can coach.  Add a few good recruiter as assistants then win games.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Recruiting ability of the head coach has not and will never be the problem.  Charlie and Tom have had plenty of recruiting success.  We need a coach that can coach.  Add a few good recruiter as assistants then win games.  

Aside from the 2018 class, neither of them have recruited at the level Mack did.

C'mon, fellas. Herman ran the pitiful fake punt, left ISU's tight ends open and had Dicker shank the FG just so Campbell would remain CFB's new darling and end up at Michigan, causing Texas to stick with its current coaching staff and increasing our chances of winning against Campbell's replacement next season. Mensa moves.  

4 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Do you agree that based upon recruiting ratings both Charlie and Tom should have won more than 0 conference championship?  They were both consistently either #1 or 2 recruiting class in the conference. Is that not success? 

Sure. Doesn't mean recruiting has been good enough.

I would not consider their recruiting efforts to be successful. State's best talent has ended up elsewhere far more often than not

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I bet Penn State tries to lure BoB back after the James Franklin dumpster fire 

1) Franklin is going nowhere (unless he decides to bolt for the nfl or whatever). He is in no way getting fired this season, even if they had gone winless. 
2) BOB burned down every bridge to State College on his way out.

Edited by The Ace of Aces

7 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Do you agree that based upon recruiting ratings both Charlie and Tom should have won more than 0 conference championship?  They were both consistently either #1 or 2 recruiting class in the conference. Is that not success? 

Sure they should have. They would've faced the same fate as OU though. Winning this shitty conference shouldn't be the ultimate goal.

9 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Sure. Doesn't mean recruiting has been good enough.

I would not consider their recruiting efforts to be successful. State's best talent has ended up elsewhere far more often than not

2 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Sure they should have. They would've faced the same fate as OU though. Winning this shitty conference shouldn't be the ultimate goal.

Mack consistently won 9-10 games beginning with his first season.  It's a lot easier to recruit with 9 wins and sell players in being a few top players away from contending that it is selling off of 6-8 wins.  

Either way, moot point. Carry on.

If we going the win at any and all costs route like Meyer but can't get him you may as well bring the ethically challenged cheater at Oregon.  Personally I'd rather hire someone likable and honest like Harsin who may not have any more success than Herman but at least won't be an asshole to every stakeholder in the program and university everyday.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

If we going the win at any and all costs route like Meyer but can't get him you may as well bring the ethically challenged cheater at Oregon.  Personally I'd rather hire someone likable and honest like Harsin who may not have any more success than Herman but at least won't be an asshole to every stakeholder in the program and university everyday.

User name doe not compute.

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Laboratory created coach utilizing the DNA of

Lombardi for toughness, Jimmy Johnson for player psychology, Belichik for defense, Bill Walsh for offense and Saban for recruiting and organizational dynamics.

Or just Saban for all of them.

7 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Laboratory created coach utilizing the DNA of

Lombardi for toughness, Jimmy Johnson for player psychology, Belichik for defense, Bill Walsh for offense and Saban for recruiting and organizational dynamics.

Plus some Tom Landry for image and school legacy.

The order's somewhat interchangeable. Cristobal is higher-risk because of the shenanigans he gets up to on the recruiting trail.
Which seems to be what we need to at least a small degree if we're truly serious. The NCAA gives zero fucks these days as long as their revenue stream keeps flowing in (why it was created in the first place) without damaging the CFB brand too badly.

As much as some dont want to hear it, programs who only play the game on the field will continue to slide futher into obscurity in coming years. Please dont think I'm advocating Briles, JoePa/Franklin, swamp tigah level dirty, just bending where the NCAA has proven to allow bending with other teams..

At what other time would Jeff Fucking Traylor be a “slam dunk” hire for the University of Texas? In some hypothetical world where he’s already won a national championship or two?  Or is there another time when hiring the head coach from the University of Texas at San Antonio would be a “slam dunk” hire for us?
I don’t understand the fascination some folks have with Jeff Traylor.
He created a dynasty at the high school level and was an aces recruiter when he was here. Beyond that I cant think of a good reason to hire him as HC at Texas. Having said that, if Urban is off the table, backup plans are slim pickings..

All that i wrote above aside, Urbs is the only one who could move the needle for not just Texas Ex'es and fans, but also put little Lincoln and the hobbit in Collie station on notice when it comes to in-state recruiting. Anyone else will be a longer rebuild with results not much better than Herman first couple seasons.

My son goes to Oregon, so I have watched a fair amount of their games.

I wouldn't read too much into Oregon losing the Civil War game to Oregon State on Friday.  That is one of those heated rivalry games for in-state bragging rights - throw out all the records, etc.  It has a lot of the same feel as when Texas used to play aggy, although on a smaller scale, as Oregon is a much smaller state than Texas.  Plus. this was kind of considered a rebuilding year for Oregon anyway, after losing Herbert to the NFL after last season.  Throw in all the weirdness with the Pac-12 and the coronavirus pandemic this season (they didn't start playing until the beginning of November) and it's hard to take away anything meaningful from this season, when it comes to Oregon.

Having said that, I think Cristobal is a solid coach, although I am far from certain he would be a slam dunk at Texas.  His biggest strength is coaching the O-line.  I have always been very impressed with the way Oregon's O-line blocks under Cristobal.  I'm kind of meh about his X's and O's - I think Herbert would have probably thrived more back when Chip Kelly was running the show, and Oregon was more aggressive on offense.  However, the biggest red flags for Cristobal so far have been defense.  Oregon's defense has been bad, especially this season.  I'm kind of giving Cristobal a pass on that for now, given the recent turnover in Oregon's head coaching position.  They went through three head coaches in three years: Helfrich, Taggart, and now Cristobal.  It's really hard to build any kind of consistency with that much turnover, and I think Cristobal deserves a bit more time to see if he can fix the issues on defense.  But so far, the early returns are...not great.

I think if it's not Urban, Campbell would probably be my #1 choice.  Iowa State used to be one of the worst teams in the country, and he has not only managed to make them respectable, but actually put them in position to compete for the conference.  That is the mark of a damn good coach.  We need a guy like that around here.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Looking at NFL coordinators other than Joe Brady, I know Bieniemy is the hot name because of Kansas City’s success, but I can’t take him seriously.   He was the biggest assclown imaginable as a player and then again as a position coach at Colorado under Gary Barnett, and then he was CU’s offensive coordinator in 2011-2012 when they were about the worst team in college football.   His career is nothing but being a clown and a failure except for the years he latched on to Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes.

What is the story on Greg Roman?  He doesn’t seem to get any NFL head coach offers, so maybe there’s an issue.  But on paper he looks interesting.  He has some limited college experience with Harbaugh at Stanford.   He’s been OC for SF with Kaepernick, Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor, and Baltimore with Lamar Jackson.  He’s produced decent to good offenses adapting his offense to ground based spread option systems for those guys, whereas most NFL coordinators probably would have just forced them into the typical NFL offense and failed miserably. 

I do like the idea of getting someone with NFL experience vs. a lot of our other options.   NFL coaches at least know what talent is supposed to look like.  They usually recruit and evaluate well like Herm is doing at ASU, and they don’t make personnel decisions like playing Garrett Gray and Cade Brewer at slot WR for 4 years in a row.   

If we're looking at NFL OC's - how about Pete Carmichael.  He spent a short time in the college game (as Tim Rattay's QB coach) before getting hired on to Sean Payton's staff at New Orleans and OC'ing the Saints for the last decade.  As a bonus he's also the guy who hired Joe Brady.

Mario Cristobal just lost to Oregon State. Some dumb asses here said that Tom had lost to SMU because he was busy getting hired by UT and it was OK. Well, we come to find out he lost to SMU because that is what he does, he loses to lesser talent because he is unprepared. Cristobal last year lost to Arizona State and now Oregon Sate. I do not want this guy to be our next coach.

Mario Cristobal on not picking up the 1st down to ice the game:

Everyone wanted to compete and fight but certainly important with the 4th down stop and we go three and out and gave them the ball in really good field position. Certainly we have to finish off the game. That’s the bottomline. There’s no way to change that or sugarcoat that in any shape or form.

Edited by DanTheHorn

1 hour ago, orangebird said:

My son goes to Oregon, so I have watched a fair amount of their games.

I wouldn't read too much into Oregon losing the Civil War game to Oregon State on Friday.  That is one of those heated rivalry games for in-state bragging rights - throw out all the records, etc.  It has a lot of the same feel as when Texas used to play aggy, although on a smaller scale, as Oregon is a much smaller state than Texas.  Plus. this was kind of considered a rebuilding year for Oregon anyway, after losing Herbert to the NFL after last season.  Throw in all the weirdness with the Pac-12 and the coronavirus pandemic this season (they didn't start playing until the beginning of November) and it's hard to take away anything meaningful from this season, when it comes to Oregon.

Having said that, I think Cristobal is a solid coach, although I am far from certain he would be a slam dunk at Texas.  His biggest strength is coaching the O-line.  I have always been very impressed with the way Oregon's O-line blocks under Cristobal.  I'm kind of meh about his X's and O's - I think Herbert would have probably thrived more back when Chip Kelly was running the show, and Oregon was more aggressive on offense.  However, the biggest red flags for Cristobal so far have been defense.  Oregon's defense has been bad, especially this season.  I'm kind of giving Cristobal a pass on that for now, given the recent turnover in Oregon's head coaching position.  They went through three head coaches in three years: Helfrich, Taggart, and now Cristobal.  It's really hard to build any kind of consistency with that much turnover, and I think Cristobal deserves a bit more time to see if he can fix the issues on defense.  But so far, the early returns are...not great.

I think if it's not Urban, Campbell would probably be my #1 choice.  Iowa State used to be one of the worst teams in the country, and he has not only managed to make them respectable, but actually put them in position to compete for the conference.  That is the mark of a damn good coach.  We need a guy like that around here.

Lots of passes were given to Herman on his loss versus SMU and the terrible defensive play for much of the Oklahoma game at Houston. Tom proved that those were not aberrations they were tale tale signs of the coach he happens to be. We need to make sure none of these candidates are given passes. Even Urban Meyer is who he is and will quit when he gets bored of us and leave us with scandal. Yet, as long as we pick a Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley that keeps things going when you know the type of coach you are getting I am all in.

Edited by DanTheHorn

1 hour ago, orangebird said:

I wouldn't read too much into Oregon losing the Civil War game to Oregon State on Friday.  That is one of those heated rivalry games for in-state bragging rights - throw out all the records, etc.  It has a lot of the same feel as when Texas used to play aggy,

that's the kind of coach I want! the kind that loses those games?

6 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that's the kind of coach I want! the kind that loses those games?

Well, in my defense, I did say that Cristobal wasn't my #1 pick...and I wasn't sold on him being a slam dunk at Texas.

I was just saying, it's a weird year.  I guarantee you, though, that if he makes it a habit to lose to Oregon State, he won't survive very long at Oregon, either.

28 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Lots of passes were given to Herman on his loss versus SMU and the terrible defensive play for much of the Oklahoma game at Houston. Tom proved that those were not aberrations they were tale tale signs of the coach he happens to be. We need to make sure none of these candidates are given passes. Even Urban Meyer is who he is and will quit when he gets bored of us and leave us with scandal. Yet, as long as we pick a Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley that keeps things going when you know the type of coach you are getting I am all in.

I don't disagree.  And I think there are enough red flags with Cristobal that he is not my #1 choice.  All I was trying to point out is that there are a lot of unusual factors at play here.  TBH, I think Oregon royally screwed up with the Taggart hire.  That alone probably set their program back about five years.  I do think Cristobal is solid, but there are issues endemic to the program stemming from the Taggart hire that are going to take time to sort out.  Cristobal hasn't been on the job long enough for me to form a definitive opinion on whether he is the right man for that job at this point, but yeah, the issues with Oregon's defense are very, very concerning.  No excuse for giving up 41 points to Oregon State.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Looking at NFL coordinators other than Joe Brady, I know Bieniemy is the hot name because of Kansas City’s success, but I can’t take him seriously.   He was the biggest assclown imaginable as a player and then again as a position coach at Colorado under Gary Barnett, and then he was CU’s offensive coordinator in 2011-2012 when they were about the worst team in college football.   His career is nothing but being a clown and a failure except for the years he latched on to Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes.

What is the story on Greg Roman?  He doesn’t seem to get any NFL head coach offers, so maybe there’s an issue.  But on paper he looks interesting.  He has some limited college experience with Harbaugh at Stanford.   He’s been OC for SF with Kaepernick, Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor, and Baltimore with Lamar Jackson.  He’s produced decent to good offenses adapting his offense to ground based spread option systems for those guys, whereas most NFL coordinators probably would have just forced them into the typical NFL offense and failed miserably. 

I do like the idea of getting someone with NFL experience vs. a lot of our other options.   NFL coaches at least know what talent is supposed to look like.  They usually recruit and evaluate well like Herm is doing at ASU, and they don’t make personnel decisions like playing Garrett Gray and Cade Brewer at slot WR for 4 years in a row.   

I mentioned it a few pages ago, but Brian Daboll would not be bad. He’s fat tho so idk if he can recruit.

29 minutes ago, orangebird said:

I don't disagree.  And I think there are enough red flags with Cristobal that he is not my #1 choice.  All I was trying to point out is that there are a lot of unusual factors at play here.  TBH, I think Oregon royally screwed up with the Taggart hire.  That alone probably set their program back about five years.  I do think Cristobal is solid, but there are issues endemic to the program stemming from the Taggart hire that are going to take time to sort out.  Cristobal hasn't been on the job long enough for me to form a definitive opinion on whether he is the right man for that job at this point, but yeah, the issues with Oregon's defense are very, very concerning.  No excuse for giving up 41 points to Oregon State.

More excuses, great coaches take crap programs and turn them into gold usually by year 3. That is how most of us knew Tom was not it last year and CDC threw out Dabo as the exception as to why we needed to give Herman one more year. Only thing I can say for Cristobal is he has not had year 3 to show all he can do and he did go 12-2 last year. So maybe he is better than Herman but losing to lesser talent has nothing to do with Taggart. So I do not want.

Edited by DanTheHorn

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

More excuses, great coaches take crap programs and turn them into gold usually by year 3. That is how most of us knew Tom was not it last year and CDC threw out Dabo as the exception as to why we needed to give Herman one more year. Only thing I can say for Cristobal is he has not had year 3 to show all he can do and he did go 12-2 last year. So maybe he is better than Herman but losing to lesser talent has nothing to do with Taggert. So I do not want.

So, how do you identify that coach ahead of time?  I think there are only a handful of people in the world that could fit your definition of a "great coach."  We might be able to pull off hiring Urban Meyer, but if not, then what?  Saban has already proven that he isn't willing to leave Alabama for any amount of money.  I suspect the same is probably also true of Dabo.  So now we have to move to a tier of coaches that have potential, but are not yet proven to be in that elite category, should Urban not work out.  And even at that, Urban is not necessarily guaranteed to be the guy.  There are plenty of examples in history of formerly great coaches who stayed around too long, past the height of their career arc.  Suppose Urban doesn't turn our hot mess around in three years - are you going to bail on him, then?

I'm all for no excuses, but at the same time, coaches are human beings and not God.  At some point, you have to be realistic about what they can accomplish.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to The Surly Official 2020 Corching Search Thread of DOOM and DESPAIR