A bunch of clothes for sale: Brooks Brothers, Tommy Bahama, Ralph Lauren

Elvis

I’ve lost about 15 pounds and everything is a little baggy for my frame now.   I doubt this is the best place to sell, but would like to know where the best place is to sell men’s clothes.  Everything is still in style and good shape.  

I think everything is Large.   I’ve found the Mediums fit a little better on me now.   

The Tommy stuff includes some nice linen vacation stuff.  No crazy floral prints.   I’ll check the Brooks Brothers neck and sleeve  measurements. 

my wife sells a lot of Lulu yoga pants, tops, and stuff on Poshmark.  Was hopeful to find a similar site for men’s clothes. Was thinking around $15/shirt would be fair considering they were all $100+ new.  

If there’s serious interest here I can post some pics. 

18 hours ago, Elvis said:

I think everything is Large.   I’ve found the Mediums fit a little better on me now.   

The Tommy stuff includes some nice linen vacation stuff.  No crazy floral prints.   I’ll check the Brooks Brothers neck and sleeve  measurements. 

my wife sells a lot of Lulu yoga pants, tops, and stuff on Poshmark.  Was hopeful to find a similar site for men’s clothes. Was thinking around $15/shirt would be fair considering they were all $100+ new.  

FYI, there are men's clothes on Poshmark as well.  

An easier thing, but with probably less return, would be a high-end consignment shop.  You just bring it all in, sign their agreement, and get a piece of what they get for it.  I think 15 cents on the dollar, as you propose, is within the realm of possibility with a consignment shop.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 12/1/2020 at 1:29 PM, Elvis said:

Damn. I'm an honest XL. 

Ebay might be a good option. 

I'd inflate the prices just on the other side of FMV the donation tax deduction, even if you're beyond that threshhold based on AGI.  Probably not quite the net you'd get with a straight sale, but it'll be done faster and you'll do some good in the meantime by giving proper cabanawear to the downtrodden.

Unless of course there's some Ed Hardy peppered in there, then I'm willing to talk serious turkey.

Edited by Lobo

On 12/2/2020 at 8:31 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Donate them to Goodwill. 

Are you really interested in selling your old pants on Craigslist or the like?  Meeting a stranger in a parking lot to trade an old shirt for $15?

Well I mean it's more on the up and up than meeting a stranger in a parking lot to trade a hand job for $15.

There's a sliding scale here of "amount of work" vs "amount of money received." The latter is never going to be very big, but to maximize your return you need to sell them individually, on ebay and on CL simultaneously. Other methods have been listed:

easiest - donate, take deduction

almost easiest - walk into Second Looks (I like the one up off of Anderson Ln). You'll feel violated when they tell you they'll give you about $3.50 for the lot, but at least it's something. They'll likely only want the best 20% of what you bring in. Take the rest to option 1.

moderate - list as a lot on ebay, CL. There are ebay flippers who will take it all. If you do this, take a shitpile of good pictures; you're trying to cut off all the stupid questions and make it easier on yourself.

hard - list individually on ebay, CL. Most won't sell, but there's a chance you can get a big hitter for the nicer stuff, and increase your top end. Be prepared for a thousand stupid questions, and postage + ebay fees add up over time ("free shipping" really isn't, you know).

unknown - poshmark, etsy, etc.

On 12/3/2020 at 2:55 PM, Elvis said:

Tommy stuff wears pretty big and baggy even before I lost the weight.   Was about 200# 6 foot.  Linen shirts are really nice and probably $150+ new. All white linen vacation style with some pastel plaids and such.  

Would you classify it as "cruise wear" or "cabana wear"?

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/2/2020 at 9:31 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Donate them to Goodwill. 

Are you really interested in selling your old pants on Craigslist or the like?  Meeting a stranger in a parking lot to trade an old shirt for $15?

Hey, $15 is $15.  Got anything like this?

e5ea4be7b09cea036f962dc32fd713b8-cabanas

Edited by Bullneck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...