Jeff Traylor Should Starts

Eggo

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/college_sports/utsa/article/UTSA-new-coach-Traylor-prioritized-paying-for-15268440.php

UTSA football coach Jeff Traylor knew experienced coordinators would help him transition into his first college head coaching job.

He also knew the help might come with a heavy price tag.

So, as Traylor and UTSA athletic director Lisa Campos were negotiating his contract in December, they chose to not include language on an assistant coaching salary pool — a clause that existed in both the original and amended contract for former coach Frank Wilson.l the stories, all the time

Though Campos said she and Traylor discussed a figure that would be competitive in Conference USA, not putting a number in writing provided Traylor “more flexibility,” Campos said.

With that freedom, Traylor met his goal of landing veteran coordinators and assembled a group of assistants that is slated to earn more in 2020 than the previous staff did last season.

“We made a conscious decision to pull that out, to give coach Traylor more flexibility,” Campos said. “He wants to surround himself with people who he doesn’t have to have his eye over every day. There is so much going into being a head coach, that he was going to feel very confident and comfortable with them owning their room. … That was really critical, for him to get some experience.”

UTSA offensive coordinator Barry Lunney Jr. ($255,000) and defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix ($210,000) are scheduled to earn a combined $25,000 more in base salary in 2020 than former OC Jeff Kastl ($205,000) and DC Jason Rollins ($235,000) did last year.

Nix has spent 16 years as a defensive coordinator or co-defensive coordinator between Southern Miss (2001-04), South Carolina (2005-07), Mississippi (2008-11) and Middle Tennessee (2012-16).

Lunney was the offensive coordinator at San Jose State in 2003 and 2004. He also spent eight years calling plays at Bentonville High School in Arkansas from 2005 to 2013, winning two state championships and making two other state finals appearances.

“I thought because I was a first-year head coach at the college level, that I needed to have veteran coordinators, and so I had to start there,” Traylor said. “Then, I just figured out the puzzle from then on out, and worked my way down from there.”

In total, Traylor’s assistants will earn $1,395,000 in base salary this year — an increase from the $1,280,000 base pay Wilson’s assistants earned in 2019.

UTSA’s projected total pay to Traylor’s assistants would have ranked third in Conference USA last season, according to data compiled by USA Today.

“I just wanted what was competitive in the conference,” Traylor said. “As long as we have what everybody else has, we feel very confident in what we can do.”

The increase in assistant pay comes even as Traylor is set to earn less than his predecessor. Traylor’s contract guarantees a salary of $800,000 for the first season of his five-year deal, while Wilson made $1,125,000 in 2019.

Traylor’s contract also includes 16 performance incentives that can significantly increase his total pay. The benchmarks range from goals as lofty as a national championship down to metrics the Roadrunners have reached in recent seasons.

Traylor’s sixth, seventh and eighth wins in a year pay $50,000 each. He will also earn $150,000 if UTSA exceeds $2 million in football ticket sales — a mark the program eclipsed in 2018 after not doing so during the previous three seasons.

“Really, the contract for him was constructed in a way that was really incentivized,” Campos said. “We thought that was really important. … Those were separate conversations about his assistant pool and his contract.”

Traylor’s 10 full-time assistants are on one-year contracts — an option Traylor said each preferred over the possibility of a two-year term.

Run game coordinator and offensive line coach Matt Mattox is slated to earn $225,000 — trailing only Lunney among UTSA’s assistants.

Mattox previously served as the offensive coordinator at McNeese (2019) and the co-offensive coordinator at Bowling Green (2014) and Tulsa (2015). He also coached the offensive line at all three programs, as well as during stints at USF (2017-18), Texas (2016) and Eastern Illinois (2013).

Traylor said the salary figure speaks to Mattox’s importance in the staff.

“Your O-line guy, those guys are very hard to get,” Traylor said. “We’ve been together at Texas and had a lot of success scoring points and running the football. I think he’s a brilliant coach. … He’ll help make a lot of those play calls on third-and-1, fourth-and-1, inside the red zone, a lot of those things. Matt will be heavily involved.”

5 minutes ago, RabidM said:

BMD's are not paying $25 million to hire Traylor.  It's not a realistic scenario.  

I hear what you're saying, but Urban Meyer was a pretty big long shot itself. I'm just saying that you can't overlook a guy who spent 15 years at the Texas HS level. The dude is a legend in this state. He probably wouldn't come in and win us a CFP championship in year one, but he'd develop the relationships to truly contend year after year like we want to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I hear what you're saying, but Urban Meyer was a pretty big long shot itself. I'm just saying that you can't overlook a guy who spent 15 years at the Texas HS level. The dude is a legend in this state. He probably wouldn't come in and win us a CFP championship in year one, but he'd develop the relationships to truly contend year after year like we want to do.

You know he would get the talent, maybe not in year one. But all the Texas high school coaches would love him, and would push their athletes his way. He is a great X and O's coach, but would need help on the administrative side with such a big program. Would be interesting since he is at a UT System school. Wonder if you could reassign him to Austin, and reassign Herman to UTSA.

CHIEF

So, 12 hours ago I would have resoundingly laughed at this idea, but I think there might be something to consider here.

Traylor's skillset as an elite high school coach who worked his way up the ranks is completely different than our last two hires, who were elite coordinators promoted one too many times. With the obvious caveat that coaching high school is nothing at all like college, I do think fans tend to undervalue the ability required to be THE MAN, which Traylor has been - at an elite (relative) level.  He's also already been on staff here so he'll know what to expect when he arrives. If he's willing to put our resources to good use and actually pursue the best coaching staff available, which previous interviews make it seem like he would, then he could be very appealing. 

That said, if Urban calls you back while he's signing the paperwork then you rip the pen out of Traylor's hand and toss him through the nearest window.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't your dare steal him from the roadrunners!!  But in all honesty I don't think even a shitty P5 team would take a chance at him after this season.  On one hand utsa was projected to be at the bottom of the conference and they end up near the top.  On the other hand it's just one season and covid is a huge variable in that. 

I'd give him at least 2 more seasons to show some consistency before his name seriously pops up for a promotion. 

But, traylor has to know he could become a legend in  San Antonio if he sticks with it.  He could be to utsa what Chris Peterson was to Boise.

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If you are going to roll the dice on someone with this little college experience, he checks off a lot of boxes:

1. He will recruit like a motherfucker. 

2. He's at least spent some time in Austin and has to have at a minimum, a cursory understanding of the landscape.

3. He seems willing to check his ego and hire coordinators outside his comfort zone who aren't yes men.

4. He's a decently competent x's and o's guy.

5. He knows what it's like to be a head coach -- at least from a "buck stops here" perspective.

Honestly, if you can recruit and hire good coordinators, how fucking difficult is this job? Glad hand a few boosters, money whip the best strength guy you can find and don't let the inmates run the asylum. Traylor looks like an Art Briles starter kit minus the rape. Fuck it, I'm in.

Yep, I expect him to be on the same trajectory. It would be a cheap experiment. Who knows? Maybe third time is a charm. If he ended up being really good, he is young enough to lock down the state for a decade or two.

CHIEF

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If you are going to roll the dice on someone with this little college experience, he checks off a lot of boxes:

1. He will recruit like a motherfucker. 

2. He's at least spent some time in Austin and has to have at a minimum, a cursory understanding of the landscape.

3. He seems willing to check his ego and hire coordinators outside his comfort zone who aren't yes men.

4. He's a decently competent x's and o's guy.

5. He knows what it's like to be a head coach -- at least from a "buck stops here" perspective.

Honestly, if you can recruit and hire good coordinators, how fucking difficult is this job? Glad hand a few boosters, money whip the best strength guy you can find and don't let the inmates run the asylum. Traylor looks like an Art Briles starter kit minus the rape. Fuck it, I'm in.

I have a feeling that Traylor will be the guy we wish we had hired in three years once our next shitty coach is stumbling through 8 win seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, RabidM said:

BMD's are not paying $25 million to hire Traylor.  It's not a realistic scenario.  

They would consider it if you are only guaranteeing to pay him what you would pay Tom Herman if you kept him the remaining 3 years. I have posted this in the other threads, but this is why we need to think outside the box and completely change how contracts are written in college football! We need a sellable plan to the BMDs that we can buy out Herman and his assistants, yet not cost much more than if we kept Herman. Herman has $18.75mn left for the final 3 years of his deal and a $15mn buyout. If you only guaranteed Traylor $4.5mn over 3 years, you are risking $750k more than if we kept Herman, but you get rid of the smug, asshole Herman! 

Why do we have to keep giving these G5 coaches a 5 year $5mn per year guaranteed contract coming off $1-$2mn contracts at their small schools?  This just leads to our constant cycle of locking into the wrong guy and having to beg big donors to buyout bad contracts. 

We should reset how contracts in football are made by finding coaches who are hungry to win at UT. Offer a short-term incentive-laden contract, which is say 3 years and a $1.5mn per season. But, you get a $2mn bonus for a 10 win season, an added $1.5mn bonus if you beat OU, an added $2mn bonus if you win a conference championship, an added $2 million bonus if you make the playoffs, an added $2mn bonus if you make the championship game and another $2 mn bonus if you win the National Championship. So, we are only guaranteeing $4.5mn over 3 years, but a coach can make up to $13mn and should make at least $5mn (win 10 games and beat OU or win conference).  We can always extend 2 years if he is a badass for recruiting purposes. We can also offer EVERYTHING we offered Meyer like $3mn for assistants, complete control and his own assistant AD for recruiting who can coordinate player “imaging rights” with big donors going forward, etc. That way we have some institutional deniability and reason to fire with cause yet provide CDC and Hartzell some cover should the new assistant AD/new coach get caught stretching the limits by a completely neutered NCAA (i.e. we won't be punished by the NCAA bc we will be doing what every $EC school does)

Coaches like Jamey Chadwell (who has worked miracles at Coastal Carolina, which did not even have football 4 years ago, and who makes just $375,000), Jeff Traylor (who makes a base of $800k at UTSA), or Bill Napier (who only makes $880k and up to just $950k at Louisiana Lafayette) would totally jump at this contract offer! They would just want the chance to be the UT coach, much less double or more their base salary and have a potential to make $5mn+ just for meeting expectations and up to $13mn in a year.

Edited by UT Lax
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

They would consider it if you are only guaranteeing to pay him what you would pay Tom Herman if you kept him the remaining 3 years. I have posted this in the other threads, but this is why we need to think outside the box and completely change how contracts are written in college football! We need a sellable plan to the BMDs that we can buy out Herman and his assistants, yet not cost much more than if we kept Herman. Herman has $18.75mn left for the final 3 years of his deal and a $15mn buyout. If you only guaranteed Traylor $4.5mn over 3 years, you are risking $750k more than if we kept Herman, but you get rid of the smug, asshole Herman! 

Why do we have to keep giving these G5 coaches a 5 year $5mn per year guaranteed contract coming off $1-$2mn contracts at their small schools?  This just leads to our constant cycle of locking into the wrong guy and having to beg big donors to buyout bad contracts. 

We should reset how contracts in football are made by finding coaches who are hungry to win at UT. Offer a short-term incentive-laden contract, which is say 3 years and a $1.5mn per season. But, you get a $2mn bonus for a 10 win season, an added $1.5mn bonus if you beat OU, an added $2mn bonus if you win a conference championship, an added $2 million bonus if you make the playoffs, an added $2mn bonus if you make the championship game and another $2 mn bonus if you win the National Championship. So, we are only guaranteeing $4.5mn over 3 years, but a coach can make up to $13mn and should make at least $5mn (win 10 games and beat OU or win conference).  We can always extend 2 years if he is a badass for recruiting purposes. We can also offer EVERYTHING we offered Meyer like $3mn for assistants, complete control and his own assistant AD for recruiting who can coordinate player “imaging rights” with big donors going forward, etc. That way we have some institutional deniability and reason to fire with cause yet provide CDC and Hartzell some cover should the new assistant AD/new coach get caught stretching the limits by a completely neutered NCAA (i.e. we won't be punished by the NCAA bc we will be doing what every $EC school does)

Coaches like Jamey Chadwell (who has worked miracles at Coastal Carolina, which did not even have football 4 years ago, and who makes just $375,000), Jeff Traylor (who makes a base of $800k at UTSA), or Bill Napier (who only makes $880k and up to just $950k at Louisiana Lafayette) would totally jump at this contract offer! They would just want the chance to be the UT coach, much less double or more their base salary and have a potential to make $5mn+ just for meeting expectations and up to $13mn in a year.

No one is touching Jamey Chadwell outside a few of the SEC scumbags. 

PROBLEMS WITH THE NCAA

Chadwell has had to deal with some NCAA issues during his coaching career.

He had to miss a game in 2016 at Charleston Southern for violating NCAA social media rules. CSU said Chadwell had impermissible contact on social media with prospective recruits.

In 2018, after Chadwell was at Coastal, the NCAA came down on Charleston Southern sports, including football, for various violations including “failure to monitor its athletic program.”

The football program vacated 18 wins and the 2015 Big South championship. Violations ranged from playing ineligible players to athletes using scholarship money for books to buy electronics and jewelry and other items, according to the NCAA.

19 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Don't your dare steal him from the roadrunners!!  But in all honesty I don't think even a shitty P5 team would take a chance at him after this season.  On one hand utsa was projected to be at the bottom of the conference and they end up near the top.  On the other hand it's just one season and covid is a huge variable in that. 

I'd give him at least 2 more seasons to show some consistency before his name seriously pops up for a promotion. 

But, traylor has to know he could become a legend in  San Antonio if he sticks with it.  He could be to utsa what Chris Peterson was to Boise.

To be fair, I live in SA and am getting my masters from UTSA. I love to see them win (especially when I need to a Longhorns loss pickmeup), but I'd rather see Texas win.

23 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Don't your dare steal him from the roadrunners!!  But in all honesty I don't think even a shitty P5 team would take a chance at him after this season.  I'd give him at least 2 more seasons to show some consistency before his name seriously pops up for a promotion.  But, traylor has to know he could become a legend in  San Antonio if he sticks with it.  He could be to utsa what Chris Petersen was to Boise.

So King of the Dipshits??

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

This sounds like Steve Patterson type of money saving scheme!  Is utlax Steve patterns?

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

In this and all scenarios, they're paying $25 million to make Herman go away.  That must be paid independent of who our next coach is.  How are people not getting this?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I have a feeling that Traylor will be the guy we wish we had hired in three years once our next shitty coach is stumbling through 8 win seasons. 

I doubt it, but if he is so successful and we strike out again we can hire him then from whatever lower tier P5 he has moved onto.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So, 12 hours ago I would have resoundingly laughed at this idea, but I think there might be something to consider here.

Traylor's skillset as an elite high school coach who worked his way up the ranks is completely different than our last two hires, who were elite coordinators promoted one too many times. With the obvious caveat that coaching high school is nothing at all like college, I do think fans tend to undervalue the ability required to be THE MAN, which Traylor has been - at an elite (relative) level.  He's also already been on staff here so he'll know what to expect when he arrives. If he's willing to put our resources to good use and actually pursue the best coaching staff available, which previous interviews make it seem like he would, then he could be very appealing. 

That said, if Urban calls you back while he's signing the paperwork then you rip the pen out of Traylor's hand and toss him through the nearest window.

This stage of grief is called Bargaining, right ?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

This sounds like Steve Patterson type of money saving scheme!  Is utlax Steve patterns?

No, but the guy who got Patterson hired (and almost got us in the Pac 12 as he is the go between for UT and Larry Scott) is a family friend. I personally never liked Patterson, but agreed with the hope that he would shrink the bloat of Belmont (shitcan Plonsky, but she was a friend and mentor of the family friend), which he never did and instead shrank the fan experience. 

The last thing I would want to do is go down the route of being a small program. But, I don't trust CDC to make the a hire that will turn the program around with the choices we have currently. I essentially want to buy time to eventually get a big fish yet convince BMDs to spend the $25mn to fire Herman now. 

I was pissed that Mack Brown and Joe Jamail screwed our chances to get Saban. We would have paid Saban $50-$60mn over 5 years and now we have spent that much on buyouts alone over this period. The next time we go after a Saban, Meyer, Dabo type we will need to spend $100mn+. I am afraid if we don't learn from our past mistakes, the money will not be there to do it.  There has to be a limit to how many times we can go to the well to buy out coaches.

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

If you can get a top dollar OC / DC maybe otherwise:

Has anyone ever tried to simply have a badass OC paired with a badass DC, and no HC?

Considering that they are somewhat mutually exclusive...why the fuck not? All our HC's just meddle and fuck up the work they do...

• Like 1

I think we learned from Herman not to trust a coach who's only had success with another coach's players so far

I think WE (the fans) have learned that but I’m not sure about the guys pulling levers have. And of course there’s the challenge of getting a guy who is not entrenched and is willing to move on, has had great success and done it for more than 2-3 years and did it without Superman at QB (I’m looking at you CS).
It’s not what I want but I think Herman is back next year mostly because there isn’t a slam dunk hire. I can tolerate the utter disappointment that has become Texas football only by stepping away and focusing on real life and because of the child like belief that there are coaches who stumble to start their tenure but ultimately learn and improve the program to the point where the outcome is what you wanted in the beginning - it just took a little longer to get there. Brian Kelly lost to the duo of Tyrone Swoops and Charlie Strong right? (I’m not trying to convince anyone else of this lunacy,
just myself).

8 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I think Herman is back next year mostly because there isn’t a slam dunk hire. I can tolerate the utter disappointment that has become Texas football only by stepping away and focusing on real life and because of the child like belief that there are coaches who stumble to start their tenure but ultimately learn and improve the program to the point where the outcome is what you wanted in the beginning - it just took a little longer to get there.

Our recruiting can't afford that. It cannot happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

That will be a colossal mistake. Our AD overlords have fucked up big time.

Yes they definitely have. Fucked up by extending him after one good season. Fucked up by letting their pursuit of Meyer be so public and not doing what they needed to keep from lame ducking Herman, then fucked up by not making sure they had backup plans suitable to pay the $25 mil buyout before they even took a shot at Meyer.  

They'll never pay that $25 million only to bring in a one year coach from UTSA. The only way a guy like Traylor could work here is if the AD did everything they could to set up a bubble for the coaches to just worry about coaching and recruiting while the AD takes all the heat and responsibilities for everything else. With all the leeches and outside noise around this program the coaches need to be shielded and allowed to do their jobs without constantly looking over their shoulder or subjected to the 9.95/reporter and fan insanity of this program. Really that should happen no matter who the next coach turns out to be. 

And of course there’s the challenge of getting a guy who is not entrenched and is willing to move on, has had great success and done it for more than 2-3 years and did it without Superman at QB (I’m looking at you CS).

Not that you are advocating for Mullen but does this not apply to him? Except Dak has done more in the NFL and has more tools. Yeah Mullen had Bama but he also had decent talent. I don't think he recruited Trask did he? And lost to the Aggies and not sure he beat a team worth a damn this year. Georgia with those QBs? Yeah not special. His best year at MSU was when they were massively overhyped then faltered when hitting Bama on the schedule.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. Outside of the big 3 coaches, who's better than Traylor at recruiting? In Texas. Who's most likely to get recruiting turned around quickly? Then in 3 years if you don't like results, the roster will be supplied with quality to ease the transition for the next guy. Cheapest, highest upside, easiest to change course.

Not saying he's the guy. But you talk with him.
  • Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, cashman said:

I think we learned from Herman not to trust a coach who's only had success with another coach's players so far

The thing is look at Oklahoma. Stoops was a p5 coordinator. So was Riley. They didn't go out and grab top tier super expensive super experienced head coaches. They identified a guy who can turn things around then gave him the resources to do it while shielding him from being BBQd by the media and the like. I agree with the people that say the AD needs to fix itself first then with improved culture many coaches could have a chance to succeed with the talent advantages at their disposal. 

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Hermanator said:

The thing is look at Oklahoma. Stoops was a p5 coordinator. So was Riley. They didn't go out and grab top tier super expensive super experienced head coaches. They identified a guy who can turn things around then gave him the resources to do it while shielding him from being BBQd by the media and the like. I agree with the people that say the AD needs to fix itself first then with improved culture many coaches could have a chance to succeed with the talent advantages at their disposal. 

OU hired Stoops in 1999 and paid him $625,000.  Things have changed a bit.

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Stoops was 20 years ago. Riley was already on staff when they made him HC.

Are we promoting Ash or Yurcich? Ok, different scenario completely then.

I don't think it'd be the worst hire that could be made.  Traylor would at least fix the recruiting issue that is worsening by the day.  And it's not like Ryan Day had a lot of big time coaching experience before he got the Ohio State job.  That seems to be working out pretty well for everyone.

Not that you are advocating for Mullen but does this not apply to him? Except Dak has done more in the NFL and has more tools. Yeah Mullen had Bama but he also had decent talent. I don't think he recruited Trask did he? And lost to the Aggies and not sure he beat a team worth a damn this year. Georgia with those QBs? Yeah not special. His best year at MSU was when they were massively overhyped then faltered when hitting Bama on the schedule.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. Outside of the big 3 coaches, who's better than Traylor at recruiting? In Texas. Who's most likely to get recruiting turned around quickly? Then in 3 years if you don't like results, the roster will be supplied with quality to ease the transition for the next guy. Cheapest, highest upside, easiest to change course.

Not saying he's the guy. But you talk with him.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. I’m not sure the next guy whoever that is, will be cheap. For some reason no matter how far down we go to pluck a guy up for the staff we have to pay him like he’s Nick Saban Junior and throw extensions and raises at any inkling of success.
My concern about getting a guy who can recruit is we have that guy now. Or at least he was that guy. When the wins don’t come, the recruiting shits the bed. I don’t know if Traylor is a good HC or not but I think that depends a lot on who he hires for his staff and we can’t seems to get HC who do anything more than comfort hires then gets a mulligan in 2-3 years and we throw more fucking money down the shorter hiring his new and improved staff. At least that’s what happened with the current and former asshole
I dont know what the answer is.
I’m just venting. thanks

25 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Stoops was 20 years ago. Riley was already on staff when they made him HC.

Are we promoting Ash or Yurcich? Ok, different scenario completely then.

The premise is still the same no matter the time. Stop looking for flavor of the month splash hires. Let CDC do a proper evaluation for coaches who can coach and when they're here the AD does everything publicly to promote them and shield them to give them the best chance at success. It's a winning formula and isn't happening here. 

• Hook 'Em 2