Jeff Traylor Should Starts

Eggo

34 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Urban will coach again. He doesn’t want to coach HERE. You’re not paying attention to the shitshow that we are. It doesn’t take much. Take off your colored glasses and look around. 

The only place I could maybe see him going is USC. It's a better job than Texas. Better history and no other blue bloods within 1500 miles. It's probably the easiest place to win in the country. So what's your point? We should cancel football because the Texas job is a tier below USC? It sounds like you're the one who can't accept Texas' standing in the hierarchy.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Agree with all of this. Of course Urban's the best possible hire, but of all the rest, only one stands out with the potential to be a Royal / Mack type hire, and that's Traylor. 

You want a good ol' boy who can coach. That's Traylor. That was also Mack and Royal. Hell, Traylor is even a Texan, too, and a legend in our most fertile recruiting grounds.

I don't get this idea that the job would be too big for him -- pressure is pressure, the same at Gilmer as in Austin. It doesn't matter, relatively speaking, if you are being hassled by reporters from Longview or Gilmer boosters or hacks from ESPN or our own BMDs. There are 24 hours in the day either way and the phone rings just as often and the stakes are the same for you personally if your job is at risk at the HS level or in the Big 12. 

Yes Dodge and Morris were HS coaches who failed. So was Gerry Faust, to kick it old school. Bum Phillips also a HS coach, and so were Bill Snyder, Lovie Smith, Chip Kelly, David Cutcliffe, and Dirk Koetter. 

For every type of resume, there are corresponding lists of failures and successes. Some gold-plated P5 coordinators soar and others flop; the same goes for G5 HCs stepping up and P5 coaches moving up to a more prestigious team. I may be wrong, but I think in the history of college football, only Urban and Saban have built dynasties at two programs, so if you can get a guy like that, you jump on him, obviously, but even then it's not a guarantee of success. Hell, Mack is just a shade below those guys and his last four years here were so terrible we are still digging out from the crater he left behind. You can't say with 100 percent certainty Urban wouldn't mail it in like Mack did but it's a pretty safe bet he wouldn't. 

But barring that, this program needs to find a guy like Traylor and actually commit to a five year plan. I think as a fan base we should be prepared to tank for a couple of years with the promise of a dynasty to come on the back end. We need to get back to where we were redshirting even good offensive linemen and DBs in instead of just rolling them out there and hoping for the best. I doubt we as a fan base have the patience for that, so whoever we hire is going to have to try to balance roster management with the necessity of bowl eligibility in year two (at the latest) and competing for the conference championship by year three (at the latest). I think Traylor can pull that off.

Or we can hire Fickell or Campbell and run them out of town and watch Traylor win big and poach our recruits from his gig at Baylor, TCU or even Tech, because "We're Texas" and only hire coaches with proven track records. At schools like fucking Cincinnati and Iowa State. 

Outta rep.

Put Traylor on the Dabo 7 year plan. Suffer through the growing pains. I just don't think the fanbase can do it, they are there own worst enemy. It is the best plan, and makes the most sense, if Urban is off the table.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Outta rep.

Put Traylor on the Dabo 7 year plan. Suffer through the growing pains. I just don't think the fanbase can do it, they are there own worst enemy. It is the best plan, and makes the most sense, if Urban is off the table.

CHIEF

I meant what I said about him snagging our recruits from some other regional school. It's better to have him inside our tent pissing out than outside pissing in. 

10 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s definitely occurred to me. I am buying the narrative that culturally we are so supremely fucked up that nobody wants to mess with us. 

Thats just simply not true.  We may not be #1 on everybody's list like some here think, but the UT job is a desirable job. The pressure here is no different than other bigtime programs. We are just more involved in our program.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, SDG said:

Holly shit; we’re officially Tech....

Yes. Have you not been awake during the last 10 years?

The problem is that you are dismissing a guy that can obviously coach because ... he doesn't a have set of qualifications only 1 person in All of coaching currently has and apparently wants nothing to do with the $84M you offered him.

It's amazing that our chief rival that has thoroughly kicked our ass since the formation of the Big 12 in both HTH matchups and seasonal success have been able to hire back to back guys with no previous HC experience and not fuck it up.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Agree with all of this. Of course Urban's the best possible hire, but of all the rest, only one stands out with the potential to be a Royal / Mack type hire, and that's Traylor. 

You want a good ol' boy who can coach. That's Traylor. That was also Mack and Royal. Hell, Traylor is even a Texan, too, and a legend in our most fertile recruiting grounds.

I don't get this idea that the job would be too big for him -- pressure is pressure, the same at Gilmer as in Austin. It doesn't matter, relatively speaking, if you are being hassled by reporters from Longview or Gilmer boosters or hacks from ESPN or our own BMDs. There are 24 hours in the day either way and the phone rings just as often and the stakes are the same for you personally if your job is at risk at the HS level or in the Big 12. 

Yes Dodge and Morris were HS coaches who failed. So was Gerry Faust, to kick it old school. Bum Phillips also a HS coach, and so were Bill Snyder, Lovie Smith, Chip Kelly, David Cutcliffe, and Dirk Koetter. 

For every type of resume, there are corresponding lists of failures and successes. Some gold-plated P5 coordinators soar and others flop; the same goes for G5 HCs stepping up and P5 coaches moving up to a more prestigious team. I may be wrong, but I think in the history of college football, only Urban and Saban have built dynasties at two programs, so if you can get a guy like that, you jump on him, obviously, but even then it's not a guarantee of success. Hell, Mack is just a shade below those guys and his last four years here were so terrible we are still digging out from the crater he left behind. You can't say with 100 percent certainty Urban wouldn't mail it in like Mack did but it's a pretty safe bet he wouldn't. 

But barring that, this program needs to find a guy like Traylor and actually commit to a five year plan. I think as a fan base we should be prepared to tank for a couple of years with the promise of a dynasty to come on the back end. We need to get back to where we were redshirting even good offensive linemen and DBs in instead of just rolling them out there and hoping for the best. I doubt we as a fan base have the patience for that, so whoever we hire is going to have to try to balance roster management with the necessity of bowl eligibility in year two (at the latest) and competing for the conference championship by year three (at the latest). I think Traylor can pull that off.

Or we can hire Fickell or Campbell and run them out of town and watch Traylor win big and poach our recruits from his gig at Baylor, TCU or even Tech, because "We're Texas" and only hire coaches with proven track records. At schools like fucking Cincinnati and Iowa State. 

Dodge and Faust went straight from HS to head coaches at college programs - that just doesn't seem like a good idea.  Traylor has more college experience right now than Morris did when he got the SMU head coach job. 

The problem with Herman outside of him being a complete asshole, he puts a bland product on the field. If he had more games like what happened against KSU, he'd likely not about to get fired.

You can rebuild a program and still capture the fanbase by being elite at something. However, you are building from a pretty strong base with Card, Jackson, Robinson, R. Johnson, Eagles, Omeire, Moore, Whittington, Smith, Wiley, Liebrock, Majors, Hookfin, Karic, and  T. Johnson on offense. If you can't take those guys and average nearly 40 in the Big 12 then you shouldn't be coaching. It takes a special type of Mensa genius to fuck up this available talent.

Not too mention the talent you have coming back on defense, plus the ability to supplement the 21 class with the upcoming one time transfer free for all.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Dodge and Faust went straight from HS to head coaches at college programs - that just doesn't seem like a good idea.  Traylor has more college experience right now than Morris did when he got the SMU head coach job. 

That HS to college deal is not a good idea,  however, if not Meyer I would rather have Traylor than Herman.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I could see Traylor coming in and leaving much of the staff intact (besides hiring Samples, switching out Hand with literally anyone, and maybe bringing in a couple other rainmakers), fixing recruiting, and going on a tear. But instead we'll probably hire a bad fit like Matt Campbell, start all over from square one, and find ourselves in the same position 4 years from now.

13 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Re: national embarrassment, I’m not sure we could get Campbell or Fickell. I’m not sure why, if you’re Matt Campbell, why exactly you’d leave ISU and come to a dysfunctional cultural shitshow. I’m serious, I think we are our own prey enemy, and we’re poison in most coaches’ minds. 

Money, natural recruiting advantage, easier path to conference championship and playoffs, money.  You need to get ahold of yourself.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We have had all of those perceived advantages for the last decade. Our money is overrated. About 10 teams raid our state and most are more successful recruiting it than we are. Such an easy path to CCs and CFP. So easy that we’ve never sniffed either in the last decade or since CFP has been around. 

Yeah, people need to realize Texas right now is no different than the other shitty programs in the Big 12 in terms of built in advantages. Of course, then you also have to factor in the BMD base that need their egos consistently stroked or they dry up quicker than a 1980s West Texas well.

12 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

When you combine it with our expectations and our overestimation of our standing and how we can just buy basically any coach, we’re a shitshow like no other. 

That actually is a perfect explanation...if we had an A&M at the end of our name. Where is it you spend your time when you're not here?

I'm glad to see so many people aboard with the choice or at least considering it. Somebody floated it weeks ago (sorry not to recall who) and I timidly said I agreed.

I would prefer a southerner or southwesterner, it just seems a better fit. Check that box for Traylor.

Traylor is an overachiever like Royal was his whole life. He goes straight from HS to Texas and a few years later is a college head coach with a winning record.

He evidently has charm and/or charisma based on his reputation among his peers and his success recruiting.

If you're not getting Dabo, Nick, or Urban, it's a crapshoot. When hired, the dice could have come out good for either Strong or Herman, but they didn't. (I don't care about anyone's predictions or chest thumping when they guessed correctly. I just want Texas to succeed and remain Texas. These coaches disappointed. That's all.)

Traylor would actually be a fun experiment. I could use some fun. Herman making every game a shit fight that's hard to win has been exhausting and as unfun as you can get. I don't think we run away from K-State without the play of special teams and the defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We have had all of those perceived advantages for the last decade. Our money is overrated. About 10 teams raid our state and most are more successful recruiting it than we are. Such an easy path to CCs and CFP. So easy that we’ve never sniffed either in the last decade or since CFP has been around. 

As much as people are shitting on the current state of recruiting, the 2021 class is ranked way higher than any class Iowa State has ever had by a significant margin.  The gap can be closed on a lot of factors but that's one thing that is an inherent advantage for being the University of Texas.

Edited by Bevo14

Humble and likable. Smart enough to know he doesn't know all the answers, invites input, and picks other people's brain. He is the guy to get if we can't get Urban. I guarantee you he doesn't hold himself above the Texas High School football coaches, he puts off an "I am one of you" vibe.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Because we've hired two straight shitty coaches.  We should try hiring a good one this time.

We've shot ourselves in the foot.  To act like no good coach would want to work here because of our toxic culture is ridiculous.

Edited by WBT

I want a coach who cares about his current players (and not just recruits) enough to keep an eye on their successes. 

After Strong, we were so enamored by MENSA and the ability to string together coherent thoughts that we lost sight of the human touch a good head coach should have. Traylor is no genius, but he's smart enough to know he's not.

Screenshot_20201208-172039_Twitter.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I would be willing to roll the dice.

Big issue would be that the 5 stars don’t really know him and the 5 stars aren’t listening to their HS Coach when it comes to colleges. Winning will fix that but could be a couple of rough years recruiting, but we are already headed that way.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Actually they bought a good coach. This appears to be going down a path where you call me Aggy, so I’ll bow out now. The above is delusional. 

Well, they bought a coach that doesn't fuck up an easy schedule. So they've got that. Oh, and the shoe seems to fit pretty well if you ask me. Wear it in good health.

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Humble and likable. Smart enough to know he doesn't know all the answers, invites input, and picks other people's brain. He is the guy to get if we can't get Urban. I guarantee you he doesn't hold himself above the Texas High School football coaches, he puts off an "I am one of you" vibe.

CHIEF

He's "a man of the people," as they say. And that's a good thing, especially for the guy running the program at the flagship school in a football-crazed state.

High school coaches around Texas could take Traylor in one of two ways: (a) as one of them, and a guy who's living out their own dreams; or (b) as a person to envy and undercut because he got a chance they didn't. Because Jeff is likable, hard-working, has obvious skins on the wall and has paid a lot of dues, I really don't think many would honestly take option B and hold his advancement against him. I think they'd go out of their way to help him succeed, as best they could.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I like Traylor, but some of you guys are insane if you think he’s the answer to our problems.  The fan base would lose it if we hired the fucking UTSA coach with a 6-4 record.  What assistant coaches would he bring?  Which 5 star recruit is going to sign up to play for him?   How many of our players would portal out?  What’s his track record on NFL development?  Let him prove these things at a bigger program and have a season with fewer than 4 losses, and then we can talk.  I like him and was pissed when Herman didn’t retain him from the previous staff, but holy fuck you guys are really reaching.

This roster has a lot of talent.  We actually have some decent coaches in Giles, Hustler, and Ash. I don’t know how I feel about Drayton, but the RBs are playing well.  We need a coach that can come in and win with this talent right now.  If we hire another unproven coach, we can cement ourselves as the Nebraska of the south.  It will be hard to recover with aggy winning with a big name coach and ou having a top 5 coach that even the NFL coaches try to emulate.  We cannot hire a 6-4 coach from UTSA and take a gamble.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

I would be willing to roll the dice.

Big issue would be that the 5 stars don’t really know him and the 5 stars aren’t listening to their HS Coach when it comes to colleges. Winning will fix that but could be a couple of rough years recruiting, but we are already headed that way.

That's true, although a good program takes the 3 and 4 and even 2 stars and gets them to outperform. If Campbell can do it in Iowa, why couldn't Traylor do it here? 

Omce the wins come, elite players will come. 

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I like Traylor, but some of you guys are insane if you think he’s the answer to our problems.  The fan base would lose it if we hired the fucking UTSA coach with a 6-4 record.  What assistant coaches would he bring?  Which 5 star recruit is going to sign up to play for him?   How many of our players would portal out?  What’s his track record on NFL development?  Let him prove these things at a bigger program and have a season with fewer than 4 losses, and then we can talk.  I like him and was pissed when Herman didn’t retain him from the previous staff, but holy fuck you guys are really reaching.

This roster has a lot of talent.  We actually have some decent coaches in Giles, Hustler, and Ash. I don’t know how I feel about Drayton, but the RBs are playing well.  We need a coach that can come in and win with this talent right now.  If we hire another unproven coach, we can cement ourselves as the Nebraska of the south.  It will be hard to recover with aggy winning with a big name coach and ou having a top 5 coach that even the NFL coaches try to emulate.  We cannot hire a 6-4 coach from UTSA and take a gamble.

The dude's recruiting territory is basically within the 1604 loop and whoever nobody else wants. We're going to regret not looking at him, I'm sure of it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

His UTSA team this year lost on the road 27-20 to a very good BYU team.  His game against Rice was postponed and now will not be played.  They are 7-4 and should be 8-4 if that Rice game had been played.  Their last two seasons before he was hired were 4-8 and 3-9.  That is a quite nice turnaround.  Dude can coach.  

42 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Didn't he win Big12 recruiter of the year, twice?  I don't think recruiting is going to be an issue at all.  Selling the fan base would be the problem - but quite honestly that shouldn't be CDC's concern.  He needs to find the best coach for Texas and then sell that to the fanbase.  I have no idea if thats Traylor, but I'm kind of hoping it is just because of how much conversation/interest it would generate.

As for coaches - I have no idea.  But he's been a Texas High school coach forever and spent time at Texas, SMU, and Arkansas - so its not as though he's coming straight from high school and doesn't have any contacts.  And, like you pointed out, he could essentially leave the defensive staff intact.

Gerry Hamilton wrote a pretty good article that basically said Texas needs to get its head out of its ass and stop worrying about how many 'skins' a guy has on his wall and go out and get the best football coach for Texas.  If that's a coordinator who has never been a HC, then so be it.  If it is a one year HC at UTSA - then so be it. That OU coach was an OC with no HC experience and 2 years removed from being a coordinator at EC fucking U when he was promoted.  Texas needs to have a process, conduct the interviews, and pick the right guy for this job - regardless of where he is currently.

• Hook 'Em 5

UTSA was never in a position to beat BYU.  UTSA was down 14 and scored w/ 1:14 on the clock.  They forced BYU to punt but roughed the kicker and BYU kneeled out.

Rice just shut out previously undefeated and #15 ranked Marshall, at Marshall.  Giving UTSA that win is ridiculous.

If the Texas State K can knock down an extra point, UTSA loses to a team currently 2-10 and hasn't reached 4 wins in the past 6 seasons.  

UTSA lost to 4-3 Alabama Birmingham and didn't score their only TD until the 4th quarter.

Of their 6 FBS wins, only 1 is over a team with a winning record: 5-3 LA Tech. The other 5 are a combined 13-32.

Overall, I'm pro-Traylor and he's better than Wilson in SATX, but trying to paint this season as one that should have him moving up I35 is straight up lunacy.

• Hook 'Em 4

49 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Traylor was Strong's recruiting ace. Overall, I think our current staff is pretty solid, especially on defense. He could make a couple tweaks (jettison Hand, bring back Samples and another rainmaker or two), and it would be an instant upgrade. But I don't think the UT admin would ever buy off on it.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Didn't he win Big12 recruiter of the year, twice?  I don't think recruiting is going to be an issue at all.  Selling the fan base would be the problem - but quite honestly that shouldn't be CDC's concern.  He needs to find the best coach for Texas and then sell that to the fanbase.  I have no idea if thats Traylor, but I'm kind of hoping it is just because of how much conversation/interest it would generate.

As for coaches - I have no idea.  But he's been a Texas High school coach forever and spent time at Texas, SMU, and Arkansas - so its not as though he's coming straight from high school and doesn't have any contacts.  And, like you pointed out, he could essentially leave the defensive staff intact.

Gerry Hamilton wrote a pretty good article that basically said Texas needs to get its head out of its ass and stop worrying about how many 'skins' a guy has on his wall and go out and get the best football coach for Texas.  If that's a coordinator who has never been a HC, then so be it.  If it is a one year HC at UTSA - then so be it. That OU coach was an OC with no HC experience and 2 years removed from being a coordinator at EC fucking U when he was promoted.  Texas needs to have a process, conduct the interviews, and pick the right guy for this job - regardless of where he is currently.

This.  Recruiting shouldn't be a problem for Traylor if he gets the job.  In Traylor's two years at UT when he was basically the lead recruiter, Texas brought in Top 10 classes both years.  He was named Big 12 Recruiter of the Year at least once by Scout.  He's a charismatic guy.  I'm not sure how well he "checks the boxes" in other respects, but as a recruiter he's got the chops.    

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Hey, you know who went 6,-4, 6-4, and 5-5 at pretty no-name programs back in the day before UT rolled the dice on him?  

Royal never finished above a tie for 4th in conference at Ms St or Washington. And his first two years in Austin weren't any better (13-7-1), but back then we had more patience and apparently more confidence. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Traylor was Strong's recruiting ace. Overall, I think our current staff is pretty solid, especially on defense. He could make a couple tweaks (jettison Hand, bring back Samples and another rainmaker or two), and it would be an instant upgrade. But I don't think the UT admin would ever buy off on it.

Nor should they.  

#teamtraylor.      He can't do worse than Herman or Strong.  Give him a football focused asst AD.

He knows talent, both athletic and coaching.  His contract work with UTSA knows he understands the finances of getting good assistants.

Within a few years he could be the golden good ol' boy coach that everyone wants to play for.    And even if he doesn't pan out, you know the larder won't be empty.

Use that incentive driven contract system you guys been bandying about and let's get this shit rolling.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

#teamtraylor.      He can't do worse than Herman or Strong.  Give him a football focused asst AD.

He knows talent, both athletic and coaching.  His contract work with UTSA knows he understands the finances of getting good assistants.

Within a few years he could be the golden good ol' boy coach that everyone wants to play for.    And even if he doesn't pan out, you know the larder won't be empty.

Use that incentive driven contract system you guys been bandying about and let's get this shit rolling.

We could do a lot worse

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Its amazing to me that some of you want a coach that was a 3a HS coach 6ish years ago and got hired to recruit a local area.

The football board never disappoints. Jesus.

That’s what he was 6 years ago. Now he’s the head coach at UTSA after spending the previous 5 seasons on staff at Texas, SMU, and Arkansas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

And who, in your infinite Stanco wisdom, would you prefer, o Sage one?
I'll start with not Jeff Traylor, the 3a high school Gilmer coach that worked for Charlie for east texas recruits and on to the san Antonio coach.

That is a resume who Colorado state hires, not Texas.

But I bet you know more than I do about Jeff Traylor and how he can win championships because he used to beat the hell out of Gladewater and pittsburg back in the day.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Its amazing to me that some of you want a coach that was a 3a HS coach 6ish years ago and got hired to recruit a local area.

The football board never disappoints. Jesus.

I like Traylor and wouldn’t lose any sleep if he were hired following Herman, but I’m not being asked to fork over $25M to buy out our current just a dollop above average coach to take a flyer on JT. I’d probably want to see a more impressive college resume before I wrote a 7 figure check. Or 6 figure if I were a nurse.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

UTSA was never in a position to beat BYU.  UTSA was down 14 and scored w/ 1:14 on the clock.  They forced BYU to punt but roughed the kicker and BYU kneeled out.

Rice just shut out previously undefeated and #15 ranked Marshall, at Marshall.  Giving UTSA that win is ridiculous.

If the Texas State K can knock down an extra point, UTSA loses to a team currently 2-10 and hasn't reached 4 wins in the past 6 seasons.  

UTSA lost to 4-3 Alabama Birmingham and didn't score their only TD until the 4th quarter.

Of their 6 FBS wins, only 1 is over a team with a winning record: 5-3 LA Tech. The other 5 are a combined 13-32.

Overall, I'm pro-Traylor and he's better than Wilson in SATX, but trying to paint this season as one that should have him moving up I35 is straight up lunacy.

Lol thanks Mrs Herman

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1