Dragon Age

MillerEP

• 2 months later...

Yikes. Dodged a bullet hopefully.

Dragon Age 4 was at one point “Anthem with dragons,” according to a new report, but the combination of Anthem’s failure and the success of Star Wars: Jedi – Fallen Order as a single-player game has convinced EA to just let BioWare make single-player RPG games again. And there was much rejoicing.

Dragon Age 4 has been retooled into a single-player-only game over the past few months, according to a new report from Bloomberg. Fallen Order’s massive success and Anthem’s resounding failure were both major contributing factors to the decision, though some leading staff at BioWare had already been pushing to swap back to single-player.

According to the report, the new Dragon Age was originally built as a single-player game when it entered development in 2015, though it was rebooted for long-term service hooks in 2017. 

• 1 year later...

I saw the early concept art and played through a demo for Dragon Age : Origins or something with a name like that a long time ago and never had any more interest in the series. It seems to be behind other rpg series in terms or art direction and gameplay, most of the fans seem to be eternally upset with the developers and each game gets relatively modest reviews. Tell me if I am wrong.

Origins was great.  Very good from scratch lore/setting/etc.  Good combat, interesting classes/skills, decent story.

Second one was ok but I did not like the combat changes, it was very clearly trying to appeal to twitchy console gamers.

Inquisition was fantastic but I personally didn't appreciate the woke bullshit they shoe horned into the relationships.

In general I am a big Bioward fan and I am sure I will check this out, I think Anthem is their only game I've never played and its because I have zero interest in the genre.  That title seemed very off brand for them...seemed like a money grab TBH.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

I saw the early concept art and played through a demo for Dragon Age : Origins or something with a name like that a long time ago and never had any more interest in the series. It seems to be behind other rpg series in terms or art direction and gameplay, most of the fans seem to be eternally upset with the developers and each game gets relatively modest reviews. Tell me if I am wrong.

2 hours ago, Hozz said:

Origins was great.  Very good from scratch lore/setting/etc.  Good combat, interesting classes/skills, decent story.

Second one was ok but I did not like the combat changes, it was very clearly trying to appeal to twitchy console gamers.

Inquisition was fantastic but I personally didn't appreciate the woke bullshit they shoe horned into the relationships.

In general I am a big Bioward fan and I am sure I will check this out, I think Anthem is their only game I've never played and its because I have zero interest in the genre.  That title seemed very off brand for them...seemed like a money grab TBH.

Yeah I’d say you are wrong. Like Hozz said, Origins was great. Great lore, world building, and game play. 

I ended up really liking 2, but it took me a while to get in to it. They did move more towards the action game and I didn’t like that. My only gripe about Inquisition is that they left it a little too much in the action/button mashing mode. I wish they’d moved more back to the Origins style than they did. But still loved the game 

2 was conceptually great, and the story rules.  They had to turn it around too quickly and got stuck re-using the same environments for a lot of the segments, which people found annoying.  They also chose to make combat more difficult and less immersive with randomly appearing waves of enemies.  Inquisition scratched the itch of castle/realm upgrades and story choice missions, and I'm a sucker for that type of progression.

I thought Inquisition was fantastic. 2 was more streamlined, which is why it had so much hate. It wasn't as open-world or expansive as Origins, so people felt it played more like a DLC, not a full release. I like all in the series though. Inquisition was probably my fav though, I thought the base building was a great addition. 

Edited by MillerEP

7 hours ago, MillerEP said:

I thought Inquisition was fantastic. 2 was more streamlined, which is why it had so much hate. It wasn't as open-world or expansive as Origins, so people felt it played more like a DLC, not a full release. I like all in the series though. Inquisition was probably my fav though, I thought the base building was a great addition. 

I enjoyed the character building and battle tactics of origins more.  

I hadn’t thought of it that way, but the way you described 2 as feeling like DLC is perfect.  It had plenty to do and was fun, but the it was very contained 

Edited by UT_OB1