Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

3 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Why would this guy run for president? He can do whatever the fuck he wants to right now. 

He can’t make a few hundred mil in Fla. 

7 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Because for some kids for some topics, they DESPERATELY need a trusted adult and it can't be a parent. 

So could there be a compromise that someone qualified, such as the counselor handle it?  I know there are good teachers out there, great ones, but there are also ones that aren’t qualified for this, imo. 

10 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I also think "existence of gay people" such as a book with same-sex relationship characters shouldn't be a controversial subject needing a parent involvement, any more than "why does Steve have brown skin?" or a book with Black characters should be controversial even in an all-white area or school. Obviously getting deep into the weeds on these topics isn't appropriate for K-3 and no one is pushing to do that. 

I’m not certain I agree. I’m know for sure I’ve met gay folks (that weren't advertising it) throughout my life. But it was post college before I ever had any actual interaction. I don’t hate, or fear, then. There just weren’t many in my circles. Of those few I did meet, all were women.   99.99% of the interactions I’ve had with trans folks have been 2 people, on this website. I think very highly of one of them.  Like it or not, there’s much more explanation with sexuality/gender/sex than there is pigment and your genealogical relation to the equator.  I’m an educated person and I’m still working on learning all the pronouns (the extra 20 that exploded recently) as to not accidentally offend people on this site.  My kids are smart. They are considerably smarter than I was at their age, but I know the younger ones aren't ready for this.  I hope they learn properly. Not like many in our generation did, where we had to do some back tracking on it to get it right.  But I’m not certain that’s supposed to happen under 9-10yo.  Especially by someone who’s got 1/4 the amount of education of their parents. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Just how sheltered a life did you have growing up?

I dunno. I grew in a very poor Hispanic area, then a middle class strong mixed area. No major religion or anything.  Just a steady ho-hum household. I’m sure some kids went to our counselors for things but I wouldn’t know that if it wasn’t me, or advertised (which it shouldn’t be). 

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So could there be a compromise that someone qualified, such as the counselor handle it?  I know there are good teachers out there, great ones, but there are also ones that aren’t qualified for this, imo. 

I’m not certain I agree. I’m know for sure I’ve met gay folks (that weren't advertising it) throughout my life. But it was post college before I ever had any actual interaction. I don’t hate, or fear, then. There just weren’t many in my circles. Of those few I did meet, all were women.   99.99% of the interactions I’ve had with trans folks have been 2 people, on this website. I think very highly of one of them.  Like it or not, there’s much more explanation with sexuality/gender/sex than there is pigment and your genealogical relation to the equator.  I’m an educated person and I’m still working on learning all the pronouns (the extra 20 that exploded recently) as to not accidentally offend people on this site.  My kids are smart. They are considerably smarter than I was at their age, but I know the younger ones aren't ready for this.  I hope they learn properly. Not like many in our generation did, where we had to do some back tracking on it to get it right.  But I’m not certain that’s supposed to happen under 9-10yo.  Especially by someone who’s got 1/4 the amount of education of their parents. 

As to the first part, not according to the Repubs who pushed this bill. They also pushed for a law that if the kid talks to anyone at school about gender issues, including a counselor, that person would face criminal charges if they didn't notify parents. That got removed, for now, but that's the mentality we are dealing with.

For the second part, again we aren't talking about a kindergarten test being "1. Which is a triangle?  2. Which is red?  3. Compare and contrast pansexuality and bisexuality."  No one is saying make sure every kindergartener gets all the terms and pronouns. All we are saying is that "some boys like boys and some like girls and some like both" is not a super confusing concept. I wouldn't put it on the lesson plan in a kindergarten class. If it comes up though, it comes up. A book shouldn't be illegal b/c it has a gay character. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One of my daughters good friends from junior high came out as trans. She killed herself sophomore year. Her parents and close friends were all very supportive and she was in individual and family therapy. Her father found her hanging. 

When you understand that miserable, despairing, and dead gay and trans kids is a feature of their plan and approach, and not a bug, it all makes sense.
As always, the cruelty - to score political points - is the point. The dead kids is how you know it’s working.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I dunno. I grew in a very poor Hispanic area, then a middle class strong mixed area. No major religion or anything.  Just a steady ho-hum household. I’m sure some kids went to our counselors for things but I wouldn’t know that if it wasn’t me, or advertised (which it shouldn’t be). 

You grew up where everyone was closeted and deathly afraid of being outed. How do you think a preK to 3rd grader will fare psychologically in such an environment? Do you think society should make it easier for them to live a normal healthy childhood or cater to the feelings of closed minded adults?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You grew up where everyone was closeted and deathly afraid of being outed. How do you think a preK to 3rd grader will fare psychologically in such an environment? Do you think society should make it easier for them to live a normal healthy childhood or cater to the feelings of closed minded adults?

Maybe, I think only 1 dude I graduated with came out gay later. 525 students (there were some girls I think, for sure).  I didn’t grow up in the sticks, 45 mins from Houston. 

I can only use my kids as reference. I think maybe by 3rd there was a whisper of a crush or a friend with a crush. Definitely nothing in Pre or K though.  I’ll ask the oldest tonight, but I’m not sure they’ve been exposed to any of it yet (aside from the trans woman shopping once). 

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

As to the first part, not according to the Repubs who pushed this bill. They also pushed for a law that if the kid talks to anyone at school about gender issues, including a counselor, that person would face criminal charges if they didn't notify parents. That got removed, for now, but that's the mentality we are dealing with.

For the second part, again we aren't talking about a kindergarten test being "1. Which is a triangle?  2. Which is red?  3. Compare and contrast pansexuality and bisexuality."  No one is saying make sure every kindergartener gets all the terms and pronouns. All we are saying is that "some boys like boys and some like girls and some like both" is not a super confusing concept. I wouldn't put it on the lesson plan in a kindergarten class. If it comes up though, it comes up. A book shouldn't be illegal b/c it has a gay character. 

Fatty and sack and all these people cheering on desantis do so because to them, sexuality is equal to religion. They think it's a choice, and under that framing they worry their kids may choose to be sinful because they see it at school. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Maybe, I think only 1 dude I graduated with came out gay later. 525 students (there were some girls I think, for sure).  I didn’t grow up in the sticks, 45 mins from Houston. 

I can only use my kids as reference. I think maybe by 3rd there was a whisper of a crush or a friend with a crush. Definitely nothing in Pre or K though.  I’ll ask the oldest tonight, but I’m not sure they’ve been exposed to any of it yet (aside from the trans woman shopping once). 

My kids have had friends since kindergarten with same sex parents. They all had had teachers they knew were gay by 6th grade. It’s close to impossible that a class of 500+ would have one homosexual student

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Fatty and sack and all these people cheering on desantis do so because to them, sexuality is equal to religion. They think it's a choice, and under that framing they worry their kids may choose to be sinful because they see it at school. 

Sack’s kids will be doing lines off somebody’s ass by summer after 10th grade. He’ll only be upset if it’s same sex though

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When you understand that miserable, despairing, and dead gay and trans kids is a feature of their plan and approach, and not a bug, it all makes sense.
As always, the cruelty - to score political points - is the point. The dead kids is how you know it’s working.

Wait, how are we killing gay and trans kids with this bill again? By not discussing sexuality or gender in early elementary? Hyperbolic even for you. 

The tens of thousands of small children in Florida that are emotionally mature enough to confidently and definitively declare they are gay or trans are miserable and/or despairing because Mrs Krabapple glossed over an obvious opportunity to fully delve into sexuality and gender differences? I just don’t see it. Like you don’t think it should be a big deal. We’re just too far apart on this one I think. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

My kids have had friends since kindergarten with same sex parents. They all had had teachers they knew were gay by 6th grade. It’s close to impossible that a class of 500+ would have one homosexual student

I pretty clearly said the only one I knew, that came out later. I know there was some girls but didn’t know them. I’m not sure if my kids classmates have same sex parents. If they do I haven’t met them. I live in fucking aggyland lite, so I’m not all that surprised.  I’m sure if I was raising them in the loop, our experience would be much different. 

18 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Go fuck yourself. I’ve very clearly not cheered on Desantis.  And I make exactly 0 of my decisions off of religion.  I’m exactly 0% concerned if my children decided to be lesbians.  We disagree on politics, but you can go fuck your self with this post. 

• Fuck You 1

Once again. If a kid talks about their mom and dad, no one will think twice. Do you think otherwise? But if a kid mentions their mom and other mom and any questions or comments arise, you're square in the target zone of this law. It's about setting heteronormative people as the default, the "normal" ones, for whom talking about their family is acceptable, and sending the message that anyone not within the norm creates a "sexuality" discussion that can't be had. It's purposely vague and purposely insidious. 

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
Replying to I.V.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Wait, how are we killing gay and trans kids with this bill again? By not discussing sexuality or gender in early elementary? Hyperbolic even for you. 

The tens of thousands of small children in Florida that are emotionally mature enough to confidently and definitively declare they are gay or trans are miserable and/or despairing because Mrs Krabapple glossed over an obvious opportunity to fully delve into sexuality and gender differences? I just don’t see it. Like you don’t think it should be a big deal. We’re just too far apart on this one I think. 

Most of those kids are not confidently and definitively anything, and often are wondering if what they feel is OK, or if something is wrong with them. Often their parents are implying that there is in fact something wrong with them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

The tens of thousands of small children in Florida that are emotionally mature enough to confidently and definitively declare they are gay or trans

This is a moronic statement even for you

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Often their parents are implying that there is in fact something wrong with them. 

Or beating the shit out of them. Or if they’re in seventh grade or older literally putting them on the street

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

6 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Most of those kids are not confidently and definitively anything, and often are wondering if what they feel is OK, or if something is wrong with them. Often their parents are implying that there is in fact something wrong with them. 

https://meaww.com/florida-teen-gender-crisis-hang-herself-twice-parents-slam-school-negligence

Because teachers know, and try to keep it secret. Also the suicide attempts.

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

What exactly do you not think they are ready for?  And what exactly does "advertising it" mean?

I can tell you that the law is written in a way so that technically, your children's teachers wouldn't be able to talk about mommies and mommies or daddies and daddies at all.  It also wouldn't allow them to talk about mommies and daddies.  But let's hold our breaths and see which of those three groups actually get talked about every day in school and which ones cause an uproar.

I suspect that number is a lot higher.  But most people who didn't grow up in cities graduated from high school, got the fuck away from that town, and dropped their old friends who they had already figured out would not be supportive.  So it's not surprising that the fact they were gay would never get back to you, because they don't talk to their high school friends anymore and chances are, their parents are at the very least private, but more likely have either cut ties with their kid or are very very embarrassed that they have a gay kid, so they aren't going to tell anyone either.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

https://meaww.com/florida-teen-gender-crisis-hang-herself-twice-parents-slam-school-negligence

That article describes the crisis as “supposed” and “purported”. What do you think that type of language says about what this child’s parents think about their problem? Do you think they are supportive or condemning? Note the school admin can’t give their side.

It's still unknown why the 12-year-old went to visit the counsellor 

Just a wild stab in the dark but maybe because the parents are “devout Catholics”

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 2

In case you are wondering, the estimated frequency of LGB is US is estimated at 3.5% of population.  For perspective the frequency of natural redheads is 1-2% of population.   If you are meeting only 1 gay person and have ever seen a natural redhead that gives you some idea of how much is being left in the closet.

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/publications/how-many-people-lgbt/

https://www.healthline.com/health/red-hair-blue-eyes

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

I have two kids. A couple of years ago, when they were 7 and 9, we were watching a movie, I forget which, and one of the female characters was pregnant. Now we have straight friends, we have gay friends, my kids knew of trans people but we hadn't really talked about it at the time, but I realized just how much of a bubble they were in when one asked confusedly "How can she be pregnant if she's not married?". Their knowledge of sexuality went so far as to know that some people have two mommies / daddies and some people have one mommy and one daddy. But clearly this had nothing to do whatsoever with knowledge / explanation of sex.

It really isn't a big thing like some people make it out to be. @fattyflattie - I really don't mean this at all a harsh way but I think you're doing your kids a disservice if you think this will confuse them all that much. It's adults and teens who start getting baggage about sex, not kids.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Like Sawbonz said, the language used, the "devout Catholic", and the part about the kid not wanting the parents to know. I dunno what to tell you if you feel like involving these parents would have prevented this suicide. I can promise that in many cases, involving the parents is going to dramatically increase the chances of suicide. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

In case you are wondering, the estimated frequency of LGB is US is estimated at 3.5% of population.  For perspective the frequency of natural redheads is 1-2% of population.   If you are meeting only 1 gay person and have ever seen a natural redhead that gives you some idea of how much is being left in the closet.

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/publications/how-many-people-lgbt/

https://www.healthline.com/health/red-hair-blue-eyes

I feel like this post would be more impactful with some photographs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

That article describes the crisis as “supposed” and “purported”. What do you think that type of language says about what this child’s parents think about their problem? Do you think they are supportive or condemning? Note the school admin can’t give their side.

Just a wild stab in the dark but maybe because the parents are “devout Catholics”

They didn't know about it, so that doesn't help with this.

14 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Like Sawbonz said, the language used, the "devout Catholic", and the part about the kid not wanting the parents to know. I dunno what to tell you if you feel like involving these parents would have prevented this suicide. I can promise that in many cases, involving the parents is going to dramatically increase the chances of suicide. 

The state can just keep secrets if they think things might happen. Seems not vague at all.

• Fuck You 3

18 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

The state can just keep secrets if they think things might happen. Seems not vague at all.

They didn’t know about it because the child was afraid to talk to them about it. If you can’t see that, I don’t know how to help you understand

54 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

And what exactly does "advertising it" mean?

I meant openly gay. Out of the closet, or well known.    Also, appreciate your personal input.  

34 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I really don't mean this at all a harsh way but I think you're doing your kids a disservice if you think this will confuse them all that much. It's adults and teens who start getting baggage about sex, not kids.

I get what you are saying, but literally last week I took them to see the Dumbledore movie as the oldest is big HP fan.  Not to spoiler, but it turns out he was gay.  They don't use the word, but several times he speaks of being in love with the villain, that his brother doesn't approve of his "lifestyle", etc.  My first reaction was to look over at the kids, and I could see the wheels turning in the oldest ones head, but with an actual look of confusion on her face.  I mentioned upthread the one interaction we had when she was about 6 with a trans woman, and that completely mind fucked her at the moment.  Please note, I did my best to explain but I'm certain it wasn't 100%.  Hell, I could probably count on one hand at that point how many interactions I had had myself.  But I did my best because I want them to love everyone equally.  Maybe she understands all of it and I'm assuming she doesn't.  Wife is out of town but when she returns maybe we'll sit with her and see what she does know.  

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

It means the VAST majority of 4 yos don’t know what it all means.  

I know lesbian couples with kids (our kids play) and it is a non-issue.   I think the idea of normalizing the diversity of lifestyles is a good thing even as you seek to help your children find their own identity just as it is with normalizing the diversity of cultures.   I doubt those same 3-7 yr olds are asking what a virgin is while at Church.   

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I know lesbian couples with kids (our kids play) and it is a non-issue.   I think the idea of normalizing the diversity of lifestyles is a good thing even as you seek to help your children find their own identity just as it is with normalizing the diversity of cultures.   I doubt those same 3-7 yr olds are asking what a virgin is while at Church.   

Of course it is.  Maybe that's the hump I haven't encountered.  I don't have any alphabet/pronoun people in my circle outside of a couple of the wifes coworkers she hasnt physically seen since Mar of '20.  It should be normalized, and will obviously be a large part of this generations lives.   I'd be more concerned if they were asking how the Virgin became pregnant.  

• Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

What is the list of things you think the state, through public schools, should be mandated to dislcose to parents?  What if they see Mary Lou holding hands with Stevie?  Must disclose?  What if instead she's holding hands with Tammi Jo?  What if a teacher is in a bathroom and hears a kid say she heard Mary Lou blew Stevie?  Obligation to call Mary Lou's parents?  Stevie's?   

What if the student in your article specifically told the counselor that her parents hate gay people and she feels worthless because she thinks she is gay?

Ludicrous how you are framing this. Truly ludicrous.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I went to high school in Fort Bend County that was a lot larger than 500+ students, and that area was extremely conservative back in the late 80s into the 90s, and I had a few friends who definitely had certain traits that we associated with homosexuality back then, and we teased them about it a bit (because we were fucking stupid and uneducated when it came to such things), but thankfully they've forgiven us for it, and we are all good friends now.  Ironically, they were in JROTC with us (which is how we became friends in the first place), because they had been treated like utter shit over the years in various PE classes by coaches/jocks/classmates (JROTC took the place of PE in high school).

A lot more folks I knew from high school came out over the years as well, that were a surprise to me. 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

How the fuck did your kids get through kindergarten without going through the whole phase of who was going to marry who?  Most of the girls in my daughters class have been working out who is going to get married, and they even have some same-sex couples (now that I think about it, there's an uneven number of girls v boys).  There are some same-sex parents, but our kids haven't asked us about it, they just accept it.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, UrbanAchiever said:

For the life of me, I can't understand how the right is hell bent on sexualizing this topic. It's a perverse fascination that occupies an unhealthy amount of their headspace. 

Because it's forbidden and naughty for them to think about such things, and just like a child that's been denied a toy or a treat or whatever, they will obsess over it.

It's unhealthy as hell the way many on the right fixate on peoples' sex lives.

It's not even close to being a reason why I bailed on the GOP in the early/mid-2000s, but if the fixation the GOP has on peoples' sex lives these days was on the same level back then that it is now, it could have easily been a top three.  I know the party hated the gays/etc. back then (boy did I know), but from my perspective, there were a lot of other things that were taking up a lot of the air in the room back then.

• Like 1

Go fuck yourself. ….I’m exactly 0% concerned if my children decided to be lesbians.  We disagree on politics, but you can go fuck your self with this post. 

And you can go fuck your self with your ignorant “decide to be lesbians” ignorant bullshit.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

I meant openly gay. Out of the closet, or well known.    Also, appreciate your personal input.  

Anytime. 

Would you call me talking about my husband at work “advertising it”?

By the way, I’m doing my best to temper my words to not seem leading or cruel or anything.  I’m asking these questions for clarity and to learn, not to play gotcha.

4 minutes ago, scottsins said:

And you can go fuck your self with your ignorant “decide to be lesbians” ignorant bullshit.

Go rub your pussy elsewhere, bitch. 

3 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Anytime. 

Would you call me talking about my husband at work “advertising it”?

By the way, I’m doing my best to temper my words to not seem leading or cruel or anything.  I’m asking these questions for clarity and to learn, not to play gotcha.

I guess, although that's not the context I meant.  I just meant "openly gay", or out of the closet, or some other term I may not be familiar with that will hurt @scottsins pussy some more.   I appreciate that, don't need any gotcha, nothing was meant in malice.  I've literally "known" more LGBTQ folks on Shag/Surl that in real life.  By a factor of several times.  So please give me the benefit of the doubt if I fuck up a pronoun or something of that sort. 

• Fuck You 5

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

This is a moronic statement even for you

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

So yes, representation matters.  Hearing about Tommy's 2 dads or Billy's 2 moms or the teacher's brother marrying another boy are all little toe holds in life that self aware gay kids can use to help them get to the next day and the next until they are in a place where they can actually stand on their own two feet, where they can finally get out of that toxic environment and they can make a new family of friends who can help them overcome the years and years of casual abuse that was heaped on them while they sat in silence.  

How many self aware gay kids are there that are 9 and under? I’d venture to say almost zero. That’s why fighting over this is stupid. Kids aren’t being offended by these things not being discussed. Who is offended by it being off the table? Adults that want it to be discussed.

It should be in the parents’ hands.  Not a single person here has objected to it being discussed in elementary. At our school in a deep red district this stuff was discussed to some extent in 5th grade I believe. It’s about the age. That’s it. It’s weird to demand it be allowed at those young ages. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 8