Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you're willing to dehumanize someone enough to fly them around the country for political stunts, then placing them in cages, torturing them, creating labor camps, etc., isn't as big of a jump as some may think.

Nope this is fascistic.  The Holocaust started with first dehumanizing Jews, then transporting them away from their homes into ghettos.

14 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

In addition to fundraising off of the political grandstanding w/immigrants, is anyone else curious as to whether they're laundering money or in some way funneling the tax dollars through the bus charters and back into their own pockets?

It’s doubtful that DeSantis issued an RFP for immigrant transportation services. Most likely this work was funneled to a friend or donor. 

• Like 1

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore

and I will dump them on another state.

Desantis and his ilk are toxic and anathema to the best part of the American ideal. Make America Great Again though, right?

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Has anyone asked Ron why he hasn’t shipped anyone to buttfuck, America?  Like southern IL, IA, NE…you know the states that thrive on illegal labor?  Would love to hear him opine on that situation.  

Just kidding, I don’t want to hear shit from him until he gets into his fight with Trump…

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

so he used FL taxpayer money to illegally fly minors from Texas to Martha's Vineyard and taped the whole thing ?

Even Abbott is distancing himself from it but only bc he’s mad DeSantis stole some of his migrant props 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Nope this is fascistic.  The Holocaust started with first dehumanizing Jews, then transporting them away from their homes into ghettos.

Yep.  The GOP is doing this:

A) For the pwned-the-libs photo ops.

B) To get people past the initial shock of seeing human beings loaded onto cattle cars and shipped away.

C) To force those blue states to push back on this, which of course will force the Republicans to get a little more creative about where to ship these people who are already habitually loaded onto cattle cars...

Edited by TexArcher

In honor of the last real immigration policy update enacted by Reagan, Biden, citing a work force shortage, should immediately grant amnesty to each bus or plane load of migrants delivered to liberal locales. Then we’ll see how these Christian governors deal with that.

My in laws are on the way over and it's going to take all my strength not to ask them what they think about this development.

Their response over the next couple of days would be, in order:

1. I haven't heard about it

2. Well, I guess I did hear about it, but didn't pay attention.

3. I don't think it was as bad as it seems

4. It was probably a liberal plot

5. ILLEGALS ARE SCARY!!!!

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My in laws are on the way over and it's going to take all my strength not to ask them what they think about this development.

Their response over the next couple of days would be, in order:

1. I haven't heard about it

2. Well, I guess I did hear about it, but didn't pay attention.

3. I don't think it was as bad as it seems

4. It was probably a liberal plot

5. ILLEGALS ARE SCARY!!!!

Where does "But maybe now they'll take the border seriously!" fit in?

Every old racist tactic is new again. This is the most shameful period since the 50s.
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2020/02/29/809740346/the-cruel-story-behind-the-reverse-freedom-rides

Reverse freedom rides were attempts in 1962 by southern segregationists to send African Americans from Southern cities to mostly Northern, and some western, cities by bus. They were given free one-way bus tickets, and were promised guaranteed high paying jobs and free housing.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

R idiots in middle America don't know that Florida isn't on the Mexican border.

Back when Auburn played Oregon for the title in the Fiesta Bowl (2011?), I was listening to Finebaum  3-4 days before the game.  His usual litany of callers were checking in, etc.  One of his regulars that was a fan from Auburn called in (some woman) and he asked her if she was going to the game.  

Sure enough, she said.  They were leaving in the morning, and driving all the way there.  She said they were taking I-10, and then asked Finebaum if the interstate passed through Mexico on the way to Arizona.  

30 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

R idiots in middle America don't know that Florida isn't on the Mexican border.

I streamed some college football game on YouTube last weekend and the station broadcasting it was from New Hampshire. There were campaign ads from some Republican candidate screaming about how illegal immigrants flooding across the southern border, thanks to Joe Biden’s failed immigration policies, of course, whatever that means, were hurting the people of New Hampshire. That’s right, New Hampshire. They’re crossing the Mexican border illegally and making a beeline for New Hampshire. That makes total sense.

I mean, unless Abbott and/or DeSantis are shipping them there, I suppose. 

Border apprehensions under Biden top 2 million. The most ever:

The latest figures come amid accusations from Republicans that the Biden administration somehow propitiated the mass migration and hasn’t done enough to stem it.

https://www.borderreport.com/immigration/migrant-encounters-top-2-million-in-calendar-year-2021-on-pace-for-repeat-in-2022/

8 hours ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/15/desantis-migrants-marthas-vineyard-immigration-florida-00056870

The Republican governor had floated for months that he was prepared to bus undocumented immigrants to Biden’s home state of Delaware. Early on, he had also suggested he would send some to Martha’s Vineyard. And earlier this year, DeSantis got the Republican-led Florida Legislature to set aside $12 million for the effort. 

If I show up in Florida can I also get a free ride on a charter plane to Martha's Vineyard?  That sounds awesome af.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i haven't kept up with this thread but if any of our "Christian" surly neighbors have come in to defend Desantis I wanted to make sure that they understand that they are pieces of shit who serve the literal devil

‘Cursed is anyone who withholds justice from the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow.’ Then all the people shall say, ‘Amen!’
Deuteronomy 27:19

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bookman said:

American Christianity is about feelings, not the Bible.

~~~~~~~~

Olive: "Do you have a religion section?"

Salesperson: "It's over there. Can I help you with something?"

Olive: "The Bible."

Salesperson: "That's in bestsellers, right next to Twilight."

I didn't have time to read the whole thing... ... because it's, like, 600 pages. Single-spaced. And as every war that's ever been fought can tell you... ... there are many ways you can interpret it. Except the Civil War. That was pure racism.  ---from the movie, Easy A (2010)

If you're willing to dehumanize someone enough to fly them around the country for political stunts, then placing them in cages, torturing them, creating labor camps, etc., isn't as big of a jump as some may think.

This. It’s very important. If you think things like camps, and repealing the 13th amendment, and shit as horrifying as that, isn’t on their agenda….you aren’t paying attention. There is nothing they won’t do. Nothing. There is no bottom. The GOP is fully committed to being inhuman monsters. We’ve heard this song before.
In addition to fundraising off of the political grandstanding w/immigrants, is anyone else curious as to whether they're laundering money or in some way funneling the tax dollars through the bus charters and back into their own pockets?

100%. It’s not even a question. Hell, I’m pretty sure that DeSantis violated Florida law by spending Florida tax dollars on an action that has nothing to do with Florida.

But the real key is that - if they used deception to entice the migrants in to the plane as has been reported - they committed a facial, slam-dunk crime of federal kidnapping under the statute. Which also has a conspiracy provision that subjects all involved (meaning - De Santiago and Abbott) to criminal liability. Oh, and because some victims were minors, the mandatory MINIMUM sentence is 20 years.
I am comfortable staring here that if the allegations are true, both governors should be arrested, charged, and tried for kidnapping in federal court.
Also, they should burn in hell. But that’s a theological position as opposed to a legal one.
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

and because some victims were minors, the mandatory MINIMUM sentence is 20 years.
I am comfortable staring here that if the allegations are true, both governors should be arrested, charged, and tried for kidnapping in federal court.

But, instead, and say it with me now, Brisket: their base will eat it up, and it will only result in more votes cast in their direction.

Because fuck everything.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2