Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Did Ron change his status on trans people?

(Was that wrong? Should I not have said that?)

If you click on the tweet and read the comments they group two ways: 1) this ticket will never happen, and 2) "that's a man, baby."

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

If you click on the tweet and read the comments they group two ways: 1) this ticket will never happen, and 2) "that's a man, baby."

So it’s not just me.

But clicking on embedded tweets from people I don’t know in order to read comments about that tweet from other people I don’t know is something that I literally never do.  :D

Bexar County sheriff certifies that migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard are crime victims, clearing path for special visas

The move clears a pathway for those people to get a special visa to stay in the country that they otherwise would not have received.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/13/bexar-county-sheriff-migrants-marthas-vineyard-visas/?utm_campaign=trib-social-buttons&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Bexar County sheriff certifies that migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard are crime victims, clearing path for special visas

The move clears a pathway for those people to get a special visa to stay in the country that they otherwise would not have received.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/13/bexar-county-sheriff-migrants-marthas-vineyard-visas/?utm_campaign=trib-social-buttons&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Sooo... the people involved in transporting them were criminals?

Oh Boy Sam GIF by SYFY

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I know that whiny pos doesn't care about the law or even the appearance of fairness, but it seems like there is an obvious legal case for unequal access to voting rights and I hope it's being filed.

He enjoys kicking people when they are down more than your average shitheel.  Someday, he's going to get his ass kicked and I hope I'm around to take delight in it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

NPR had a story about this on this morning.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/27/1119750187/florida-voter-fraud-charges-desantis-felon-rights

An entire "election crimes unit" netted 20! illegal voters. 5 years in state pen. Most or all were convicted felons. I'd bet my left nut most were black, poor, and voted D. All had registered. They were not using fictitious names or voting multiple times.

In a press conference last week, DeSantis announced to a crowd of supporters that the election crimes unit was charging 20 people across the state with voting illegally.

DeSantis described the arrests as the "opening salvo" from the new election and security unit. State lawmakers passed legislation earlier this year, known as Senate Bill 524, that created the policing force. The legislation followed pressure from DeSantis for the state to spend more resources on combating alleged voter fraud, which experts say remains very rare in American elections.

Terry Hubbard, who was convicted in 1989 of sexual battery of a victim under 12 years old, told law enforcement that he registered to vote at the Broward County Property Appraiser's Office. Afterward, he was sent "a ballot and a letter in the mail stating he was eligible to vote," according to court documents. The 64-year-old then returned the mail ballot.

• Rage+1 4

“Well, he should’ve known better. Even if he was allowed to register, the state accepted his registration, and he was sent a ballot in the mail.” - gop

blame the incompetent fucking staff/system. Fuck the state of Florida they deserve all the hurricane shit they get 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I'd bet my left nut most were black, poor, and voted D. All had registered. They were not using fictitious names or voting multiple times.

But the optics have now been created regardless--(D) voters 'cheat' therefore any election wherein an (R) candidate does not win is sketchy and must be overturned.

Long term strategy: incarcerate (D) voters under charges of fraud and then when it is determined (after much paper shuffling) that they were eligible, the election will have passed. Too bad!

• Rage+1 2

Evil. Designed to discourage voting. 

Step 1: Tell people they're eligible to vote.
Step 2: Let them vote. 
Step 3: Send the cops to their home to tell them they really weren't eligible to vote.
Step 4: Make the claim that voter fraud is rampant.

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Rage+1 5

22 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Evil. Designed to discourage voting. 

Step 1: Tell people they're eligible to vote.
Step 2: Let them vote. 
Step 3: Send the cops to their home to tell them they really weren't eligible to vote.
Step 4: Make the claim that voter fraud is rampant.

It appears to be sending a message to citizens of a certain skin color to be scared to vote.

• Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Terry Hubbard, who was convicted in 1989 of sexual battery of a victim under 12 years old, told law enforcement that he registered to vote at the Broward County Property Appraiser's Office. Afterward, he was sent "a ballot and a letter in the mail stating he was eligible to vote," according to court documents. The 64-year-old then returned the mail ballot.

A 31yo that sexually battered <12yo’s can’t vote?  Cry me a fucking river.  Dude should have been buried under the jail in ‘89. 

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Not missing anything. He probably has a case if he was sent the paperwork as stated.  Couldn’t really gaf about what happens to a child rapist, tho, if we’re being honest.  

this dog and pony show isn't about child rapists, and you know that, but you're the most obtuse person on here.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

this dog and pony show isn't about child rapists, and you know that, but you're the most obtuse person on here.

Ok, then take it up with NPR.  Should I modify my statement to any felon?  If you can’t be a productive member of society, sorry, you lost your vote. Maybe don’t be a POS in the next life? 

Texas and Desantis related thread; the Miami Herald has done some digging on the whole "San Antonio to Martha's Vineyard to Florida" story.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1582762266469945346 

Spoiler
Emmanuel, a 27-year-old Venezuelan migrant, saved Perla Huerta’s number in his phone as “Perla Hermosa” — Beautiful Perla.

He thought she was wonderful.

“You could see her happiness in her face,” he said.

Then everything fell apart. 🧵Image
While the media has focused on Huerta, a Miami Herald investigation found Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' San Antonio migrant relocation operation was far bigger and better organized than previously known. miamiherald.com/news/local/imm…
The investigation uncovered more than half a dozen recruiters and support staff on the ground in San Antonio. 
A friendly and familiar face to the unprecedented number of Venezuelan migrants passing — legally — through Texas, Emmanuel quickly became a top recruiter of passengers, probably second only to Huerta herself.Image
A pawn in the hands of a professional handler working on behalf of a governor seen as a likely Republican contender for president in 2024, Emmanuel said he believed he was part of a benevolent mission run by a kind and compassionate woman.Image
Huerta, a 43-year-old former U.S. Army counterintelligence agent working for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, told him she was a military veteran.

He trusted her. 
Now, he is cooperating with the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office’s organized crime unit in its ongoing criminal investigation into the operation. 
Emmanuel’s texts and social media interactions provide an intimate view into the mysterious and manipulative “Perla” at the center of a well-organized, short-lived, covert operation directly overseen by DeSantis’ top aides and backed by more than $1.5M from Florida taxpayers. 
Emmanuel, who helped recruit migrants for the flight that ended up in Martha’s Vineyard on Sept. 14, said he never dreamed that offering people a free flight away from the overcrowded shelter in San Antonio could be political, much less possibly illegal.Image
Copies of his WhatsApp messages reviewed by the Herald show Emmanuel pleading with Huerta to answer her phone after people in Martha’s Vineyard called him in a panic, saying no one was expecting them, they were scared, and Huerta wasn’t answering their calls. 
Huerta responded — 33 agonizing minutes after Emmanuel sent the first text. “Let me make some calls,” she wrote back. “The state has to be responsible for them.” 
Huerta defended her actions over WhatsApp.

“They will do better than any other group [of migrants] and they have the attention of the whole country,” Huerta wrote. “And I continue to be the worst woman in the world.” 
Emmanuel said he kept recruiting for Huerta after she promised him the program wasn’t political, helping to gather people for the next flights, which emails show would be sent to Delaware and Illinois between Sept. 19 and Oct. 3.

Those flights didn’t happen, however.Image
On the eve of the planned Delaware flight, the sheriff announced his investigation as press swarmed the airport in anticipation of the scheduled departure that had been noticed on a flight tracking website.

The flight was canceled. 
The San Antonio operation was hastily dismantled, to be potentially resurrected at a future date yet unknown. And Emmanuel’s life became a blur of spare rooms and hotel beds, Red Bull and nicotine.Image
“I am sorry for what happened in Massachusetts, but I didn’t know what was happening,” Emmanuel told the Herald. “I’m trying to show my face so that people know [what really happened].” 
Not long after the migrant relocation project blew up, an unexpected event in Florida underscored the need for physical labor, including migrants.

Hurricane Ian devastated Southwest Florida, ruining countless homes and creating an immediate dire demand for workers. 
One place to find muscle was at homeless shelters across the country, filling up with migrants spurned by government officials in states like Texas and Florida.

Hundreds of migrant workers are believed to be streaming down to Florida following Hurricane Ian. 
Three of the people who were recruited for DeSantis’ migrant relocation program — that would have routed them from Texas to states other than Florida — also headed to the Sunshine State for hurricane cleanup. miamiherald.com/news/local/imm…
One of them, Pedro Escalona, a Venezuelan migrant who was originally scheduled to be on a charter flight to Delaware from San Antonio.

He then learned the flight had been scuttled and caught a plane to New York City, where he ended up in a homeless shelter.Image
How he then got to Florida — the state that wanted to dump him and others in Delaware — and onto a seven-day-a-week Fort Myers work crew is the story of America’s conflicted relationship with migrant workers.Image
One week they are demonized, the next they are in demand, only to become an expendable part of a workforce hired by companies that profit off vulnerable laborers. 
The pattern was the same for many of the migrants: hard work and long hours, followed by allegations of bad behavior, a final paycheck, then abrupt removal from the hotel — sometimes at the hands of police. 
“I feel like I’m nobody... treated like an animal...horrible,” said Escalona. 
Visit our website or eEdition to read more.
You can find all of our coverage here: miamiherald.com/e-edition/today

Edited by NWBuck
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Ok, then take it up with NPR.  Should I modify my statement to any felon?  If you can’t be a productive member of society, sorry, you lost your vote. Maybe don’t be a POS in the next life? 

i know you don't care because you don't give a fuck about anything other than your boat.  so what that the voters of the state of floriduh told the state it was time to get rid of felony disenfranchisement.  so what that the state intentionally made it impossible to determine if you'd been re-enfranchised.  so what if desantis is only publicizing the arrests of black people under the byzantine regime the state set up.  so what if that leads to people with the right to vote being afraid to because they don't want another run in with the law.  none of that detracts from your ability to get your boat, and if enough people in floriduh vote one way it might actually be an impediment to you getting your boat, so you're all for it. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i know you don't care because you don't give a fuck about anything other than your boat.  so what that the state of floriduh set up a racist scheme to disenfranchise black people in response to them getting the right to vote after the civil war.  so what that the voters of the state of floriduh told the state it was time to get rid of felony disenfranchisement.  so what that the state intentionally made it impossible to determine if you'd been re-enfranchised.  so what if desantis is only publicizing the arrests of black people under the byzantine regime the state set up.  so what if that leads to people with the right to vote being afraid to because they don't want another run in with the law.  none of that detracts from your ability to get a vote, and if enough people in floriduh vote one way it might actually be an impediment to you getting your boat, so you're all for it. 

Fwiw, I’ve got a few. One of the perks on being a voting, non-felon. Along with not having to deal with shit like this.

It’s really a simple formula. Don’t be a felon, and don’t commit voter fraud.  I didn’t know I couldn’t do that.George.gif doesn’t work. 

• Fuck You 8

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Fwiw, I’ve got a few. One of the perks on being a voting, non-felon. Along with not having to deal with shit like this.

It’s really a simple formula. Don’t be a felon, and don’t commit voter fraud.  I didn’t know I couldn’t do that.George.gif doesn’t work. 

Negged for trolling 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1