Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

Deep dive on DeSantis' motivations: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/10/19/desantis-disney-corporate-america-war/ or https://archive.ph/YfnrD

Sounds like he is very anti-big-business. 

Thanks to a $578 million tax break approved during his administration, Disney planned to move 2,000 high-paid creative jobs from California to the Sunshine State.

But DeSantis was bristling about similar plans, as he soon made clear in public and private. Californians moving to Texas will “vote the exact same way they voted that turned San Francisco into the dumpster fire that it is,” he warned at a forum in April, adding that he also didn’t want “leftists” infiltrating Florida. He echoed such concerns to Disney executives

It's only 1 step from disliking "leftist" employers to rewarding Right employers only.

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Fwiw, I’ve got a few. One of the perks on being a voting, non-felon. Along with not having to deal with shit like this.

It’s really a simple formula. Don’t be a felon, and don’t commit voter fraud.  I didn’t know I couldn’t do that.George.gif doesn’t work. 

What about someone that has a felony marijuana conviction?

Should that person lose their right to vote for all eternity, even after they have served their time for a non-violent offense that the vast majority of American voters believe shouldn't even be a crime?

The voters in Florida decided these people should be able to vote after they pay their debt to society. Most of these people were sent ballots by whatever state entity does that in Florida. They rightfully believed they had the right to vote. DeSantis did a rug-pull so they could be arrested for voter fraud even retroactively. That shit is just wrong, no matter which way you slice it. He isn't King of Florida, he's supposed to be beholden to voters. Don't you believe in democracy?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/9/2022 at 1:38 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Did Ron change his status on trans people?

(Was that wrong? Should I not have said that?)

she's ugly because she has no natural beauty or has covered up whatever little she has with processed crap and looks super trashy not because she's trans. she tatted up, boob job, gross hair, orange tan, probably botoxed to the 9's. but whatever make the assumption a woman with a strong jaw line who is processed to the hilt are men.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Spoke to a client today in Florida and was discussing hurricane damage.  She said the bridge to Sanibel Island is going to be rebuilt quickly because "DeSantis is such an ass kicker!"

I hate having to bite my tongue with these people.

read that ass kisser and it's a more likely descriptor
joe-biden-Ron-DeSantis-florida-visit-100

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Not missing anything. He probably has a case if he was sent the paperwork as stated.  Couldn’t really gaf about what happens to a child rapist, tho, if we’re being honest.  

agree no one gives af about the rapist, but i wouldn't put it past the republican thugs in Fla to have orchestrated this for appearances. fuck desantis in his mafia thuggery face.

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Ok, then take it up with NPR.  Should I modify my statement to any felon?  If you can’t be a productive member of society, sorry, you lost your vote. Maybe don’t be a POS in the next life? 

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

i know you don't care because you don't give a fuck about anything other than your boat.  so what that the voters of the state of floriduh told the state it was time to get rid of felony disenfranchisement.  so what that the state intentionally made it impossible to determine if you'd been re-enfranchised.  so what if desantis is only publicizing the arrests of black people under the byzantine regime the state set up.  so what if that leads to people with the right to vote being afraid to because they don't want another run in with the law.  none of that detracts from your ability to get your boat, and if enough people in floriduh vote one way it might actually be an impediment to you getting your boat, so you're all for it. 

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Fwiw, I’ve got a few. One of the perks on being a voting, non-felon. Along with not having to deal with shit like this.

It’s really a simple formula. Don’t be a felon, and don’t commit voter fraud.  I didn’t know I couldn’t do that.George.gif doesn’t work. 

So you're okay with a governor and legislature ignoring their citizens who by constitutional amendment referendum voted to restore voting rights to convicted felons who had fulfilled their sentences.  Good to know.

You might want to consider this poem.

First they came for the felons who had completed the terms of their sentences
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a felon.

Then they came for the Jews
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Jew
Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

agree no one gives af about the rapist, but i wouldn't put it past the republican thugs in Fla to have orchestrated this for appearances. fuck desantis in his mafia thuggery face.

Yeah he’s all about the “look at me”, it seems. Wonder if he’ll tone it down when things start to get sorted wrt ‘24. 

4 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

What about someone that has a felony marijuana conviction?

Should that person lose their right to vote for all eternity, even after they have served their time for a non-violent offense that the vast majority of American voters believe shouldn't even be a crime?

The voters in Florida decided these people should be able to vote after they pay their debt to society. Most of these people were sent ballots by whatever state entity does that in Florida. They rightfully believed they had the right to vote. DeSantis did a rug-pull so they could be arrested for voter fraud even retroactively. That shit is just wrong, no matter which way you slice it. He isn't King of Florida, he's supposed to be beholden to voters. Don't you believe in democracy?

Yes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

34 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

He's a dumber, less likable version of Chris Christie, which is saying something.

I’m no fan of Christie but DeSantis is way, way worse. It’s not close. DeSantis is part of the new cruelty-is-the-point full MAGA faux Christian populism wing of the party. Christie is part of the pre-Obama GOP before they went batshit crazy because a black man was elected President. He shook Obama’s hand and thanked him for aid after Hurricane Sandy and took hell for it from the rest of the party. DeSantis made sure not to make the same mistake with Biden after Ian. (From what I’ve seen. In every shot of the two of them I’ve seen, DeSantis is keeping his distance and looking glum.)

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Most of the GOP that think they like DeSantis know nothing about him, and they haven't heard him speak. He's not going to be well liked when he starts to appears on TV frequently.

no too mention that the front runners before the race starts are rarely the front runners by the end.

This sucks to say, but I think you're dreaming. The ONLY currency that matters to MAGA Republicans is your ability to punish the people that they don't like. Ron has a knack for it. They'll justify and excuse literally everything about him so long as he promises to make their enemies suffer.

Add in the suburbs and usual "all that matters is my taxes" R voters who have been itching to vote for ANY Republican nominee that isn't Trump, and he's probably going to be a fucking rockstar.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m no fan of Christie but DeSantis is way, way worse. It’s not close. DeSantis is part of the new cruelty-is-the-point full MAGA faux Christian populism wing of the party. Christie is part of the pre-Obama GOP before they went batshit crazy because a black man was elected President. He shook Obama’s hand and thanked him for aid after Hurricane Sandy and took hell for it from the rest of the party. DeSantis made sure not to make the same mistake with Biden after Ian. (From what I’ve seen. In every shot of the two of them I’ve seen, DeSantis is keeping his distance and looking glum.)

If I was Uncle Joe, I would have walked off AF1 with a friendly grin on my face, wearing those cool shades, and shouted out "Ron! I'm sorry we couldn't have met under better circumstances. How ya doing? Tell me how I can help Florida" and stuck out my hand.

The photos of that with lil DotarD just standing there looking pouty, hands uncomfortably hanging at his sides while Uncle Joe holding out his hand for a friendly shake would have been brutal.

(Yes, I know maga would celebrate snubbing a handshake from Brandon, but a lot of people would frown on such outright rudeness.)

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Who me?  Yeah. I don’t really care which law they were unable to keep from breaking.  Choices made, priorities given.  

They were sent ballots and made to believe they were able to vote. Then DeSantis pulled the rug out and made their actions retroactively illegal, at least for the time being. What part of that is right? Why is he blatantly ignoring the vote that took place among the people of Florida?

Answer the question instead of dancing around it you fucking pussy, god damn. Man up for once in your life.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

They were sent ballots and made to believe they were able to vote. Then DeSantis pulled the rug out and made their actions retroactively illegal, at least for the time being. What part of that is right?

I said upthread that if that is the case, they are going to be fine.   You should read mo better.   Florida couldn't be more on brand with their want for felons to vote.  But, as long as it keeps my team in power, right?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I said upthread that if that is the case, they are going to be fine.   You should read mo better.   Florida couldn't be more on brand with their want for felons to vote.  But, as long as it keeps my team in power, right?

So what if they are going to be fine. The headline has been made, and as a result people who are legally allowed to vote will choose not to to as a result of these arrests.

It's like the front page of the Chronicle saying Fattieflattie is a known pedophile that takes little boys out on his beloved boats and rapes them. Then printing a retraction 3 days later on the bottom of page 29.

The damage is already done. This is voter intimidation pure and simple.

7 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

So what if they are going to be fine. The headline has been made, and as a result people who are legally allowed to vote will choose not to to as a result of these arrests.

It's like the front page of the Chronicle saying Fattieflattie is a known pedophile that takes little boys out on his beloved boats and rapes them. Then printing a retraction 3 days later on the bottom of page 29.

The damage is already done. This is voter intimidation pure and simple.

I’m 100% certain, without a single doubt, not a single non-felon voter is intimidated by this.  

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

46 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

If I was Uncle Joe, I would have walked off AF1 with a friendly grin on my face, wearing those cool shades, and shouted out "Ron! I'm sorry we couldn't have met under better circumstances. How ya doing? Tell me how I can help Florida" and stuck out my hand.

The photos of that with lil DotarD just standing there looking pouty, hands uncomfortably hanging at his sides while Uncle Joe holding out his hand for a friendly shake would have been brutal.

(Yes, I know maga would celebrate snubbing a handshake from Brandon, but a lot of people would frown on such outright rudeness.)

And then, with Ron just standing there woodenly, arms hanging stiffly by his side with palms facing backwards, Joe should just rush foreword and wrap his arms around him in a firm embrace. 

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

look harder. there are plenty of pics of them talking together both at the table and while walking around surveying damage. this isn't to excuse DeSantis in any way, but he 'debased' himself just as much as Christie. Only this time it was to an old white guy instead of a young, charismatic man of color, so it's more palatable to his ilk.

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m 100% certain, without a single doubt, not a single non-felon voter is intimidated by this.  

I mean I’m a trans woman who votes and didn’t update my address on my DL or my VR card and I’m a little nervous about what I can and can’t do without having my vote discarded or worse. And I’m white, educated, plausibly cisgender, fly under radar. I can’t imagine how it would be if I was a person of color or folks thought I was a dude. 

look man, I appreciate what we had, but you’re willfully ignorant on this shit. It’s time you stop. You owe the good part of you, the dad part of you the chance to make shit right. There is no real fiscal difference here among the parties but the freedom, democracy and people loving party is clear. You are a good guy. Please be honest with yourself. The republicans are the very worst of humanity right now. That’s not you. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

look harder. there are plenty of pics of them talking together both at the table and while walking around surveying damage. this isn't to excuse DeSantis in any way, but he 'debased' himself just as much as Christie. Only this time it was to an old white guy instead of a young, charismatic man of color, so it's more palatable to his ilk.

Anything comparable to this?

chris-christie-obama-hug.jpg

14 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

look harder. there are plenty of pics of them talking together both at the table and while walking around surveying damage.

In the photos with Biden he looked like an 8-year-old being told he needs to eat his vegetables.  I think his expression and demeanor in the shots with Biden were deliberate, a way to signal, "You know I don't way to be here and you know we don't need the feds' help."

13 hours ago, troph said:

I mean I’m a trans woman who votes and didn’t update my address on my DL or my VR card and I’m a little nervous about what I can and can’t do without having my vote discarded or worse. And I’m white, educated, plausibly cisgender, fly under radar. I can’t imagine how it would be if I was a person of color or folks thought I was a dude. 

look man, I appreciate what we had, but you’re willfully ignorant on this shit. It’s time you stop. You owe the good part of you, the dad part of you the chance to make shit right. There is no real fiscal difference here among the parties but the freedom, democracy and people loving party is clear. You are a good guy. Please be honest with yourself. The republicans are the very worst of humanity right now. That’s not you. 

Remember this: fatty truly believes they Democrats are ruining this country every bit as much as we think the GOP is. He's said as much. Now, he can't articulate how exactly they're ruining it, just that they are. Because reasons. He's gone and never coming back.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Anything comparable to this?

chris-christie-obama-hug.jpg

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

In the photos with Biden he looked like an 8-year-old being told he needs to eat his vegetables.  I think his expression and demeanor in the shots with Biden were deliberate, a way to signal, "You know I don't way to be here and you know we don't need the feds' help."

you guys suck at searching
AP22278793242187.jpg

biden-desantis.jpg

biden-desantis-066.jpg

I'm not trying to defend this wannabe nazi, only the truth

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/desantis-cracked-down-on-migrant-labor-then-one-helped-coordinate-his-migrant-flights/ar-AA13eWOZ

A Venezuelan migrant unable to legally work in the United States was paid to help coordinate Gov. Ron DeSantis’ migrant flight program, putting the Republican governor’s high-profile political gambit in conflict with his long-standing push to crack down on undocumented labor.

The migrant, a 27-year-old named Emmanuel, told the Miami Herald he helped find passengers to fill planes that DeSantis wanted to send from Texas to Democratic strongholds in northern states. He was recruited by Perla Huerta, a 43-year-old former U.S. Army counterintelligence agent working for Vertol Systems Company — which has been paid more than $1.5 million by the DeSantis administration to execute the operation.

Emmanuel ended up receiving three cash payments totaling $700 from Huerta for his work on behalf of DeSantis’ relocation program, he told the Miami Herald. Text messages reviewed by the Herald corroborate his account.

Such compensation would appear to be a blemish on the governor’s public stance against the hiring of undocumented immigrants, and could present a compliance issue with an immigration law that DeSantis campaigned on in 2018, championed as governor in 2020 and continues to tout as he runs for reelection in November.

Common Sense Monkey GIF by Travis

• Like 1