Friday Night Lives: Photo book with previously unpublished photos from Permian’s ‘88 season

Your Mom

Texas Monthly has published a photo book with the photos from the FNL and 68 previously unseen images not in the original book  

I don’t need the new book but the images from the article are pretty good. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/riveting-new-photo-book-portraits-football-friday-night-lights/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Web+Social&utm_content=FridayNightLightsPhotos&fbclid=IwAR0AmPeLjO-8xFWVxxlKAeOs3DdxhZoxp1JXEWC948cPuXKAePlyebmoqT8

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Grew up in Odessa in the 70s - 80's, middle school football with many, left after '88 (like many) due to the oil bust, class of '89.

That first picture of the packed stands brings back many memories. Odessa was my first taste of "Texas Football" coming from the east coast.  The stands looked like that every game of the 80's (most away games too). The seating was majority "season tickets - reserved seats". You had to get on a list to even have a chance at seats and could take years if you wanted to find a way to get seats to sit near friends.

Best memories were traveling to away games and traveling back home through small towns (that we never played, probably 2-3A) that would be out sitting on the roadside drinking with large signs telling up we sucked and giving us the finger as we passed through.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Grew up in Odessa in the 70s - 80's, middle school football with many, left after '88 (like many) due to the oil bust, class of '89.

That was back when Midland was one of two Rolls Royce dealerships in the country.  Wild times. 

21 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That was back when Midland was one of two Rolls Royce dealerships in the country.  Wild times. 

No kidding, also had an "international airport" they loved to tout and there was just miles of empty space between Odessa and Midland until they built that country club "in the middle of nowhere" between them.

Same.  What a miserable cold and rainy day that was. Jesse Armstead was a beast that day for Carter.

I didn’t remember the weather being bad. But I do remember pointing out #46 in red during warm ups to my buddy saying I bet that guy is a bad ass. Turns out it was Armstead.

• 2 years later...

i'll put this here.....

https://www.cbs7.com/2023/01/06/friday-night-lights-star-boobie-miles-arrested-abilene/

ABILENE, Texas (KOSA) - Former Odessa Permian football player James “Boobie” Miles was arrested in Abilene on Thursday for failure to register as a sex offender and violation of bond/protective order.

Miles was made famous after his senior season of high school at Permian was chronicled in the book “Friday Night Lights.”

Thursday morning Miles was booked into the Taylor County Jail in Abilene. According to jail records, Miles was released from jail Thursday after posting a $20,000 bond.

This is not Miles’s first run-in with the law. He has a lengthy arrest record, including an arrest for aggravated sexual assault in Ector County in 2018.

7VD2OBCA65E5BCHAWZ57VCHOE4.webp

• 1 month later...

looks like Boobie is in trouble again....maybe he and Beard should get together and discuss their troubles

James Earl ‘Boobie’ Miles has been arrested again (cbs7.com)

According to our partners at the Odessa American,  James Earl “Boobie” Miles jr. was arrested Tuesday, and is being accused of seriously injuring his ex-wife.

Tuesday afternoon his ex-wife called 911 saying Miles was choking her,  when dispatchers responded to the call, she was found passed out in her car with choke marks around her neck, and injuries to her face.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2023 at 5:05 AM, Hpara759 said:

i'll put this here.....

https://www.cbs7.com/2023/01/06/friday-night-lights-star-boobie-miles-arrested-abilene/

ABILENE, Texas (KOSA) - Former Odessa Permian football player James “Boobie” Miles was arrested in Abilene on Thursday for failure to register as a sex offender and violation of bond/protective order.

Miles was made famous after his senior season of high school at Permian was chronicled in the book “Friday Night Lights.”

Thursday morning Miles was booked into the Taylor County Jail in Abilene. According to jail records, Miles was released from jail Thursday after posting a $20,000 bond.

This is not Miles’s first run-in with the law. He has a lengthy arrest record, including an arrest for aggravated sexual assault in Ector County in 2018.

7VD2OBCA65E5BCHAWZ57VCHOE4.webp

Did he already have a justice for boobie t shirt made?  Looks like they arrested Nostradamus.  

7 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

True, but the Yates team that dominated Mojo in 1985 is the all-time big-school standard for badass, at least in my lifetime…

correct but they didn’t rob gas stations after the games 

That yates team is the all time best Texas hs football team 

Edited by tx 3 putt

• 7 months later...
On 3/7/2023 at 5:57 PM, tx 3 putt said:

correct but they didn’t rob gas stations after the games 

That yates team is the all time best Texas hs football team 

The ‘83 Daingerfield team would like to have a word with you. They gave up 8 points all year in 16 games. 6 of those were given up to a larger classification school. They gave up an average of 1 foot per play. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 3/7/2023 at 6:51 PM, Ignatius said:

True, but the Yates team that dominated Mojo in 1985 is the all-time big-school standard for badass, at least in my lifetime…

Looked it up.  Jones played Yates within one score twice and Madison  and W-O Stark were 13.  Every other win was at least 19 points.  State final was 37-0.

This was one of the years they did beat Madison.  They lost 9 games in 6 years and 4 or 5 were to Madison (they would play before district and several times in playoffs) along with 3 losses deep in the playoffs.  Madison had Broderick Thomas, Nebraska All America and longtime NFL player during several of those years.  Their best team until VY came along.

4 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

The ‘83 Daingerfield team would like to have a word with you. They gave up 8 points all year in 16 games. 6 of those were given up to a larger classification school. They gave up an average of 1 foot per play. 

big school >>> small school

4 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

2 of those 8 were self-inflicted, in the form of a bad snap through the end zone on a punt. The Daingerfield D out scored their opponents’ O 76-6 that season…

• Like 1

This years Duncanville team might go down as the most talented, dominant high school team in state history. Two five star D Ends and Alex January on the line. 5 star WR. High 4 star RB and a p5 QB. Plus probably 10 other college football players. Their closest game was 34-13 against two time defending 5A champ South Oak Cliff. They've allowed 13 points since. Their biggest test may be this upcoming week against the second best team in the state DeSoto.

It's a testament to what Samples has built that Durham is the only starter that didnt play middle school ball there.

History doesn't always happen in the past 

17 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

2 of those 8 were self-inflicted, in the form of a bad snap through the end zone on a punt. The Daingerfield D out scored their opponents’ O 76-6 that season…

Also, if I recall correctly, the other 6 came against Carthage. Carthage happened to have a world-class sprinter that ran track for TCU, Roscoe Tatum, that broke for a TD run.

Daingerfield has, and continues to have, D1 talent with some making it to the NFL.

No, I did not go to Daingerfield.