Why Are We Not Better - Are We the #1 Underperformer?

Kyle

Honest question and not trying to melt any snowflakes ... it feels like for the past 40 years football on the 40 Acres has underperformed given its tradition, financial resources, and natural advantages. Legendary program, great city, richest athletic department, finest facilities, and the flagship university in the nation's most football crazy state. Does't it feel like we should be in contention for a national championship every year? Take ousux ... yeah it does ... but every one of us would swap the past 40-year on-the field performance with those assclowns.

I bang my head against the wall constantly trying to glean why we are not better year in and year out. Is it no cheating? Academic expectations? It is not like we have Jerry Jones running the show.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There's a lot more to it than that. 

But yes, that would be the starting point for the discussion.

Keep it simple...Hire the right Head Coach that can handle a program like TEXAS, and this program would be successful.

So ztejas, if Saban replaced Mack Brown you don't think that the TEXAS football program would have been successful??

40 years. Except for 1983, 2005, and 2009. Might as well throw in 08 as well.

Not that I think the program sucks ass, but I bet 95% of other schools out there would absolutely love being in the championship game or considered 1 out of every 10 years.

Also, 2010 to 2019 has to be the worst decade ever, still a NY6 win.

At least it doesn't go back to 1939.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yes, we're probably the most underperforming program in the country. With all of our resources, BMD's, and athletes in the state, we're being laughed at for good reason. 

Its us or Michigan IMO.   

Nebraska will probably pass everyone.

Tennessee maybe has a case

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Its us or Michigan IMO.   

Nebraska will probably pass everyone.

Tennessee maybe has a case

As current relevant programs, I concur it's us or Michigan. 

The latter two will never get back to where they once were, especially Nebraska, imo. I have hope Tennessee can be a legit top 15-20 program if they can ever get their shit together. 

Its closer to 37 years, but why not pick?

I hate this excuse, but I’ll offer it up as a partial explanation. There was a survey of players (coaches?) several years ago, and they were asked to name their most important game/biggest rival. Texas was named by the greatest number of schools and it wasn’t close. Given that, we are ill-prepared to meet that challenge when we don’t have an overwhelming talent advantage. We never seem to have an overwhelming coaching advantage which - I guess - explains the ill-prepared part. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

Because our fans have a weird sort of entitlement. They believe that coaches would drown their own children just to come here because they think “We’re Texas” means anything. The facts don’t support this. We’re an average/mediocre program with a few highlights here and there for the last 4 decades. We’ve won a conference title only 8 times in that time period. To put it into perspective, ou has won more titles in the last 10 years than we have in the last 40 across 2 different conferences. They hire good coaches. We’re too busy showing off how much money we have. We overpay for shitty coaches and wonder why they aren’t putting in the work to build a winner. There’s too much comfort when you earn $5m, win or lose. Sure, you say all the right things but the product on the field is lacking. There should never be a scenario where Coastal Carolina is ranked and we’re not even in the “others receiving votes” when we bring in highly ranked recruiting classes.

Also, there is no parity in college football anymore. It is top heavy. The same teams are always competing for the title. It will take Saban or Dabo retiring to change that. Ohio State is a perfect example. 3 coaches in the last 20 years and they are always a contender. A down year at tOSU is 2 losses. We can’t even manage that in a down year for the Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

Because our fans have a weird sort of entitlement. They believe that coaches would drown their own children just to come here because they think “We’re Texas” means anything. The facts don’t support this. We’re an average/mediocre program with a few highlights here and there for the last 4 decades. We’ve won a conference title only 8 times in that time period. To put it into perspective, ou has won more titles in the last 10 years than we have in the last 40 across 2 different conferences. They hire good coaches. We’re too busy showing off how much money we have. We overpay for shitty coaches and wonder why they aren’t putting in the work to build a winner. There’s too much comfort when you earn $5m, win or lose. Sure, you say all the right things but the product on the field is lacking. There should never be a scenario where Coastal Carolina is ranked and we’re not even in the “others receiving votes” when we bring in highly ranked recruiting classes.

Also, there is no parity in college football anymore. It is top heavy. The same teams are always competing for the title. It will take Saban or Dabo retiring to change that. Ohio State is a perfect example. 3 coaches in the last 20 years and they are always a contender. A down year at tOSU is 2 losses. We can’t even manage that in a down year for the Big 12.

I'm glad you were explicit. I wanted to delve more into ousux, but I figured I'd be banned in 10 minutes given the beta male snowflakes that dominate this breast-feeding wonderland. ousux is a shitty school in a shitty state with 1/2 our cash that's been treating us like a grievance studies major on a football field since a Michigan QB was in the White House. Maybe that's it - life reflects the interwebs - we really are just a bunch of soft pussies. We've been turning out beta males more suited for the garden club than the executive suite since anyone can remember.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

Nothing newsbreaking, but yeah, coaching matters.  Fred’s death has me revisiting the whole where do u place  the athletes thing.

After Miami won in Jan 84, a statesman author wrote something about how Fred put best athletes on d compared to Miami which put its best athletes all over the field and recruited more speed.  I think  we have always been behind in player development, except during the Vince era.  Why did players develop then? Because Vince talked them into wanting it so bad? Maybe.  

Remember Roy not improving hardly at all, saying he didn’t stretch or lift weights, or something like that?

I attended the cotton bowl in 2002, I think, against LSU.I was astounded at how out shape our big men looked.  

We slept through the first quarter, had about six offensive plays.   Roy was open the entire first half....got about 4 passes thrown his way. Could have been 10+.....he was that open...LSU adjusted at halftime, put a safety over the top...I think Roy was still open!

we still don’t get it.  Players need to improve throughout the season, not just hold their own.

1. Coaching

2. Improving throughout season

3. Attitude....great example....lack of intensity against LSU...didn’t impact the outcome because we recruited better than opponent, so we had better players.  Who cares how it looked. 

We simply need to get hungry again....we’re not Texas anymore, we’re kind of like the Dallas Cowboys.

or to put it on college, we’re Michigan....and our old rival is ranked 5 in country, while we waste a bunch of talent.

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

40 years. Except for 1983, 2005, and 2009. Might as well throw in 08 as well.

Not that I think the program sucks ass, but I bet 95% of other schools out there would absolutely love being in the championship game or considered 1 out of every 10 years.

Also, 2010 to 2019 has to be the worst decade ever, still a NY6 win.

At least it doesn't go back to 1939.

The product on the field, as I saw it on tv, was in the neighborhood as good in 81, 82, first part of 84, 2004, 2006 and 2008. 

Those teams in the 80s were so intimidating.  They hit like they were angry. We don’t know what that is.  

firstly, the false expectations.  this program has never been a blueblood the way that e.g. oklahoma has been.

its had 1 era of dominance in the 60s with dkr.  then it had a 2nd era of dominance in the 00s...and we all know how that ended. 

underperformance is the norm, not the exception.

Outside of poor coaching the last decade, I think that the first reason is “top talent” leaving the state of Texas, in general, not just UT. We’ve always had Texas HS players choose to go to neighboring states, because that’s always made up over 50% of Arky, Ok State, and ousux. LSU has also picked from TX constantly, but not to the extent of ousux.

The problem was apparent in the mid-eighties, seeing players on tv from Texas, playing at Michigan, OSU, and Notre Dame, to list a few. Kids willing to leave the state and play in the “cooler” climates started the ball rolling IMO and ESPN. ESPN help the old thing of your “family” not being about to see you play, unless they could afford a road-trip or two each season.

The second/next problem has been NOT coaching up the “talent” that we do get to play in Burnt Orange! Every year, except when Mack had a few that just out-talented the opponent, we lose a few to “lessor” recruited programs: TCU, Tech, KSU, and ISU to name a few. Patterson fits the old saying, that he’ll take his team and beat yours, but could also take yours and beat his! It’s coaching!

Third reason is our Defense has overall “sucked” for a decade plus! We haven’t had a properly schemed defense, for a large majority of games, since around the Muschamp era! You might even have to go back to the Fred Akers (RIP) era, to find a defense that for the most part, just shut people down! Some of that is just the proliferation of the spread offense, but a properly coached/schemed defense, wouldn’t look like the shit show for the last decade plus! Prime example was the Utah game last year, showed what “could” be done, with better scheme and play calling. Where did that “defense” go in 2020? Mostly the same players on the roster?

Fourth opinion for poor play is “don’t shoot” the messenger, but fan apathy! Not those here, because at least people here are “invested” in more ways than just wearing a t-shirt. It’s student body change over the last 30 years that has dwindled. Those that do show up truly aren’t there for the game and frankly could care less who won! We generally no longer care about football like we did! Winning helps and fills the seats, but it no longer is “the topic” year round like it used to be. That attitude only resides in pockets of SEC country and that’s about it.

Hook’em!

• Like 1

We're not exactly a rolling ball of butcher knives.  And with an exception of about 10 years out of the last 45, we've been completely irrelevant. 

Thank God for VY and Colt or we wouldn't have that.   

We're Stanford and Cal, without the Top 10 academics. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof

Saw a poster post this on IT....very interesting...

Monday at 7:24 AM

Add bookmark

#1,574

Lets look at some facts about our program.....

Since DKR:

8 conference titles
1 National title - Thank you Vince!
2 BCS Title Game Appearances
0 CFB Playoff Appearances
We are 17-16 in bowls in that time frame, surprisingly Herman got us above .500

So in 43 years we have only won 8 conference titles.

Our facilities are middle tier big 12 and that says a lot. Yes our locker room and weight room was renovated for the first time in 20 years but in terms of everything else it's average. Our practice facility is a wasteland. We love to talk about being the Joneses but the reality is we're not. We are very complacent in regards to being aggressive because we have this holistic view about optics instead of doing what it takes to be a top program. Reality is we're a blue blood that is fading out of relevancy.

We have hired very poorly outside of Mack and that was only truly memorable from 2004-2010. Prior to that not very good

Lets address the elephant in the conference now over that same time period and our conference rival, Oklahoma.

21 conference titles
2 National titles
4 BCS Title Game Appearances
3 CFB Playoff Appearances
We are 15-18 in bowls in that time frame, 6 losses coming from BCS national championship game/CFB playoff losses

We, as a program, need to REALLY step in up in terms of hires and fires. We have to stop pretending to care about optics. Optics are irrelevant and do no matter because the national media will say stuff about us whether we're good or bad on the field. We have to upgrade all aspects of our program from practice fields, to facilities, to weight room, to development on players via nutrition, S&C, etc. We risk falling further behind programs the more we drag our feet on these issues. If you want to be the Joneses then do what it takes, don't talk about doing what it takes or we will be left talking about 2005 title, DKR's years, and what could of been had Colt not gotten injured vs Alabama.

77-currentTX.png

77-currentOU.png

• Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Orange&White said:

There’s no way that Texas underperforms vs their built in advantages more than the aggies.

im not saying Texas is good. I’m just saying that we’re not #1 in that regard.

This is correct and every other post is not even close.

We underperform for sure, but holy shit aggy is wayyyyyyyyyy worse

Wrong coaching hires. It’s that simple, and any attempts to paint the picture differently are just mental masturbation.

Nothing about Alabama fundamentally changed, they just hired the right coach.

But the likelihood of hiring the right coach is really small, even for the blue bloods.

• Hook 'Em 3

I didn't see anybody mention it on here but Texas hasn't "played the game" for most if not all of its lifetime. If you are competing against a barry switzer led program and you won't cheat then you are going to get passed up. Now you have to throw in LSU, bama, Ohio State, and aggy who have been cheating for a long fucking time. Despite all that fucking cheating going on for the last 50 years we are in the top 5 all time in wins. I am disgruntled that we haven't won more big 12 titles, more MNC, and don't have more heisman winners but it could be way fucking worse. 

I didn't see anybody mention it on here but Texas hasn't "played the game" for most if not all of its lifetime. If you are competing against a barry switzer led program and you won't cheat then you are going to get passed up. Now you have to throw in LSU, bama, Ohio State, and aggy who have been cheating for a long fucking time. Despite all that fucking cheating going on for the last 50 years we are in the top 5 all time in wins. I am disgruntled that we haven't won more big 12 titles, more MNC, and don't have more heisman winners but it could be way fucking worse. 
I think this is bullshit.

Cheating gets players to show up.
We've had players show up.

Cheating doesn't get results on the field, especially if everyone is supposedly cheating.

We haven't won because we haven't won. There is no magic cheating dust that has caused us to not win the conference. We just don't win it consistently.

We are going to win.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Cheating doesn't get results on the field, especially if everyone is supposedly cheating.

We haven't won because we haven't won. There is no magic cheating dust that has caused us to not win the conference. We just don't win it consistently.

We are going to win.

Big fax here...

To think we aren't playing the game that the other big time programs are playing is naïve and ignorant. We just don't have a coach to coach them up. There is a reason aside from a few guys that all these studs come here and look good early but diminish over their time here. 

Coach to win

winning brings recruits

• Like 1

Awful coaching hires is definitely the primary issue for the football program.  Coaching hires based on Surly polls would have yielded better coaches than McWilliams, Mackovic (6-5 at Illinois the year we hired him), Strong and Herman.  

Additional issues in no order include undesirable conference affiliation (SWC and the post-realignment Big 12), lack of institutional alignment regarding the importance of/commitment to the football program (it's hard to be Ohio State when the rest of the institution strives to emulate Berkeley), relatively average facilities particularly compared to the elite, a bloated athletic department suffering from weak and unclear leadership since Dodds got old, a revenue gravy train that steams down the tracks regardless of performance and, most importantly, a decade of elite performance within the revenue sports during the aughts that concealed and ultimately exacerbated the underlying issues after the success stalled/ended.

If I was CDC, I would do everything in my power to move Texas to the Big 10 (not going to a popular opinion here I know), build best in class facilities for the football program, burn the AD to the ground and restaff with hires from the elite ADs around the country and, most importantly, fire Tom Herman and hire anyone else (Urban, Campbell, anyone).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Snacks said:

We are going to win.

Players....like cam newton? Adrian Peterson? Demarvin Leal? Jaylon Waddle? All those fuckers were in our back yard. You're saying we pay but we don't pay enough? Name an o-lineman from that 08-09 stretch when Colt was phenomenal. The programs that are cheating don't have to work as hard as we do to keep the pipeline full. If you really think that we compete with overall talent as those teams I just mentioned well then you're living in a fairy tale. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

Players....like cam newton? Adrian Peterson? Demarvin Leal? Jaylon Waddle? All those fuckers were in our back yard. You're saying we pay but we don't pay enough? Name an o-lineman from that 08-09 stretch when Colt was phenomenal. The programs that are cheating don't have to work as hard as we do to keep the pipeline full. If you really think that we compete with overall talent as those teams I just mentioned well then you're living in a fairy tale. 

You don't think we play the game?  Maybe not as much as Bama but we are definitely engaged.

I'm glad you were explicit. I wanted to delve more into ousux, but I figured I'd be banned in 10 minutes given the beta male snowflakes that dominate this breast-feeding wonderland. ousux is a shitty school in a shitty state with 1/2 our cash that's been treating us like a grievance studies major on a football field since a Michigan QB was in the White House. Maybe that's it - life reflects the interwebs - we really are just a bunch of soft pussies. We've been turning out beta males more suited for the garden club than the executive suite since anyone can remember.

One thing’s for sure, if you use “beta male” enough on the Internet, you become an alpha male one day!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just throwing thoughts I've had on the subject off and on over the years:

(1) Coaching: Definitely a candidate.  Dating back to Mack Brown, player development hasn't followed excellent recruiting and it's shown in the results.  

(2) The Conference: Let's face it, the Big XII is not on par with The SEC, Big Ten, and at times not even the ACC.  This is proven on the field as our conference champion (usually Oklahoma) never emerges as the National Champion which consistently comes from these other (3) conferences and often in convincing fashion vs our conference champion.  

(3) The Quality of Texas high school talent: Urban Meyer himself commented on this one earlier this year, dismissing the notion based on his Ohio State recruiting and having success with Texas talent.  Urban pointed to a lack of player development at programs like Texas.  Maybe he's right.  But it is suspect when the vast majority of Big XII programs recruits Texas talent and end up with similar results.  The gap in Big XII talent and the SEC is noticeably massive in annual NFL draft results by conference especially along the offensive and defensive lines in the early round.  If pressed for an answer, I'd speculate the truth on the Texas high school talent debate is somewhere between Urban Meyer's assessment and the counterpoint.  Spread football has taken over the Texas high school game and has to this day proved inferior without the injection of physicality you more commonly see in the southeast and midwest.  

(4) The Country Club: This phrase was coined during the Mack years and is a way of contrasting the Texas player college football experience with say that of Bear Bryant's Junction Boys. If you've already reached the mountain top in your own mind and are enjoying the fruits and accolades of the summit, are you really motivated to develop and be the best you can be.  Hoe much does winning really matter to your average Texas 4-star/5-star athlete vs the passed over 3-stars that end up in programs with less tradition and prestige?  Seems like moving on from Mack Brown should have solved this problem, but the problem seemingly still pervades despite stories of Pat Moorer's "Pit" and Herman's "Practice for your breakfast" early on in the Strong and Herman tenures.  One way of solving this problem is leadership in each position group-- in other words, when the coaches aren't around, leaders on the team keep it together for them.  

(5) The Grass is no longer "Greener": Texas does have a major advantage in resources, but in an environment where coaches can still earn multi-million salaries at programs of lower prestige and more importantly, lower expectations, is there really an incentive to take a job like Texas over a mid-tier power 5 or even non-Power 5 conference job?

I could probably drone on, but I'll stop there for now.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Wrong coaching hires. It’s that simple, and any attempts to paint the picture differently are just mental masturbation.

Nothing about Alabama fundamentally changed, they just hired the right coach.

But the likelihood of hiring the right coach is really small, even for the blue bloods.

Yeah I dont get why people need some big intertwined theory here. We sucked dick for the entirety of the 90s. We hired Mack and we were the 2nd winningest team of the 00's. Mack got complacent and the program suffered, and then we hired two shitty coaches. 

OU struggled with several coaches before Stoops. Alabama struggled with several coaches before Saban. Clemson struggled with several coaches before Dabo. Florida has struggled since Spurrier left. Florida State has been all but irrelevant since Bowden entered senility. 

Get the right coach that is the right fit for the program and we will win. Not easy to do, but that's really it. Football is about getting the best players AND coaching them up when they get here. Gotta have both pieces. Everything else is trivial. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Keep it simple...Hire the right Head Coach that can handle a program like TEXAS, and this program would be successful.

So ztejas, if Saban replaced Mack Brown you don't think that the TEXAS football program would have been successful??

This is the problem. Texas is not a better program than a shit ton of others that are currently more successful, the external factors are what is holding Texas back.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

This is the problem. Texas is not a better program than a shit ton of others that are currently more successful, the external factors are what is holding Texas back.

And what would those be. A coach needs to recruit good players, develop those players, and develop sound game plans and try to avoid constantly shooting himself in the dick with asinine in game decisions. Do those things and you should win a lot of games. What external influences exist at Texas now that preclude Texas from having a winning program that didn't exist from 2000-2010. Are you suggesting that we were cheating in the recruiting game to a much larger extent then than we are now? What else has changed? 

• Hook 'Em 1

When we had a good coach, we were good. When we've had mediocre coaches, we were mediocre. When we had bad coaches, we were bad. It's fairly simple. If Akers or McWilliams or Mackovic or Strong had gone on to be better elsewhere after leaving Texas, I'd suspect it is more complicated than that. But none of them did. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Bullshit. It has nothing to do with external factors. Texas is no different than any other big time program. It’s just really hard to find a national championship caliber coach. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, 66BUFF said:

2 Championships since Spurrier left and 1 for FSU since Bowden left.  What did you edit ???

Ha, how quickly I forgot when hammering out my post on a phone. Change my statement to Meyer/Fisher.  The point of my statement is the same. How did florida do with Muschamp or McElwain, how about FSU with Taggert or Norvell. Hire shitty coaches, get shitty results. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

Poor head coach hires, mainly because they didn't or haven't put enough time and/or resources into recruiting, thinking "Texas recruits itself".  It no longer does and we haven't caught up to other programs that figured that out long ago.

Our issues:

80% recruiting (the right players)

20% coaching and developing

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Poor head coach hires, mainly because they didn't or haven't put enough time and/or resources into recruiting, thinking "Texas recruits itself".  It no longer does and we haven't caught up to other programs that figured that out long ago.

Our issues:

80% recruiting (the right players)

20% coaching and developing

That’s a fucking horrible take. I wish I could reach through my phone and punch you in the mouth.

10 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I don't think Saban or Dabo retiring changes anything. They are machines now and recruit and run themselves. Look at OU when they went from Stoops to Riley. Did not miss a beat. Ohio St when it went from Urban to Day. Did not miss a beat. They can plug and play and still be on top. Their down years are the years we now dream of.

In this past decade, we had only one single Big 12 title game appearance. Zero championships. Never were even close to a contender.

For some odd reason, Texas fans, like you said, have this embellished perception of ourselves and an entitlement. We are becoming the Dallas Cowboys of college football. We have the brand, image and resources but currently, are pretty fucking meh. Not as long as Dallas but it is getting close as time moves on. Only difference is Dallas does not get the pick of the litter for their players. Texas does not follow a draft. But it gets sad when we re live the 2005 national title game. Like shit, that is now 15 years ago.