Why Are We Not Better - Are We the #1 Underperformer?

Kyle

From Andy Staples’s article on Texas this week at The Athletic:

To understand what great alignment does for a program, look north across the Red River to Oklahoma. From December 1998 to June 2017, that school had one president (David Boren), one athletic director (Joe Castiglione) and one head football coach (Bob Stoops). Boren and Stoops have since retired, but Boren was still in place when Castiglione tapped then-Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley to succeed Stoops. The alignment all the way up the chain has continued unabated. Since Stoops took over, the Sooners have won or shared the Big 12 title 13 times.

Meanwhile, Texas hasn’t been aligned since Brown began to falter in 2010. Athletic director DeLoss Dodds and president Bill Powers were busy pulling strings in conference realignment, and Dodds’ retirement in 2013 brought what might be the single most disastrous hire in Texas athletics history: Steve Patterson, who served a hellish 22-month tenure as athletic director beginning in November 2013. Patterson was supposed to streamline a bloated athletic department but only made it more dysfunctional.

Attorney Mike Perrin stepped in to steady the ship — he wound up firing Strong and hiring Herman — and Del Conte’s charge when he was hired in 2017 was to bring the Texas athletic department into the present. Since 2010, Texas has had three presidents (Powers, Greg Fenves, Jay Hartzell), four ADs (Dodds, Patterson, Perrin, Del Conte) and three head football coaches (Brown, Strong, Herman). That isn’t an environment conducive to alignment, and it should be cause to redirect some of the criticism leveled at Brown, Strong and Herman.

That’s 10 leaders in a decade vs 5 at ousux (2 coaches, 2 presidents, 1 AD)

This right here is exactly the problem. A fish rots from the head down.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

This right here is exactly the problem. A fish rots from the head down.

I think that's why most Texas fans are such pussies ... I mean Shaggy/Surl is basically a cat breeding BBS ... most of the posters here are either ghey are so cat-whipped they couldn't tell the difference between mustang the car, the university, or the horse. (no you're little fag points don't affect my self-esteem ... I'm not looking for a glory-hole ranking)

• Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

I think that's why most Texas fans are such pussies ... I mean Shaggy/Surl is basically a cat breeding BBS ... most of the posters here are either ghey are so cat-whipped they couldn't tell the difference between mustang the car, the university, or the horse. (no you're little fag points don't affect my self-esteem ... I'm not looking for a glory-hole ranking)

Why did aggy name their field after you?  Honest question, I really don’t know.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

What the hell? What does that have to do with the post you quoted?

Drunk posting again?

This makes zero fucking sense but if you are aggroid I guess that explains it.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:53 AM, NaTeWHO said:

tenor.gif

The next coach interview needs to include a sledgehammer and some semi destructible structure. If the coaching candidate swings like TH, then we give them a to-go cup and wish them a nice day. That swing in the gif is the epitome of his coaching style. All dressed up and looking mean but can't finish unless someone does it for you.

Edited by Newdoc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yep. Georgia is slightly below us only because they actually get 9-11 wins a season on the regular. 

Along with Georgia, I'd nominate USC as well.  They're like Texas in that there has been a lot of turnover in the AD and they care about things other than winning.  (Bama was like that pre Saban.  Their boosters were still obsessed with "Bear Boys."  They eventually got tired of losing and the rest is history.

The Georgia thing is more puzzling, though.  Their boosters care about winning but they keep wheel spinning.  Cool town close to a huge city, great HS talent in state and in the immediate region, great facilities, etc.  They hired a cookie cutter SEC coach who is obsessed with defense because he doesn't understand offense but even before than, Richt was the same.  They idolize Vince Dooley who had a worse record that Richt, if you can believe that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Players....like cam newton? Adrian Peterson? Demarvin Leal? Jaylon Waddle? All those fuckers were in our back yard. You're saying we pay but we don't pay enough? Name an o-lineman from that 08-09 stretch when Colt was phenomenal. The programs that are cheating don't have to work as hard as we do to keep the pipeline full. If you really think that we compete with overall talent as those teams I just mentioned well then you're living in a fairy tale. 
Look at our recruiting rankings the years those players came in.

We had players... Whether we cheat or not is not the point. We've had enough talent to win the BigX2 more than 3 times. We have enough talent to win it right now. We've had enough talent all 3 years Herman has been here... Strong could have competed for it with Heard at QB and the right OC... And not cleaning house on the OL... Mack damn sure should have won it more than 2x.

We have enough talent to compete, almost by default... Herman wasted Sam Ehlinger with shitty playcalling and decisions to go for it instead of taking points early in games. We're a couple of FGAs away from being looked at differently (last season and this).

If Herman returns, he needs to CEO this shit and let the real coaches coach.

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:

We had players... Whether we cheat or not is not the point. We've had enough talent to win the BigX2 more than 3 times. We have enough talent to win it right now. We've had enough talent all 3 years Herman has been here... Strong could have competed for it with Heard at QB and the right OC... And not cleaning house on the OL... Mack damn sure should have won it more than 2x.

We have enough talent to compete, almost by default... Herman wasted Sam Ehlinger with shitty playcalling and decisions to go for it instead of taking points early in games. We're a couple of FGAs away from being looked at differently (last season and this).

I disagree on having enough talent. Sure we had lots of talent and great recruiting rankings, but we didn't have the right balance of talent. We left gaping holes in areas and stockpiled too many in others. We had no balance to our talent/recruiting. He had/have coaches on staff that are not good or don't like recruiting. We should have ZERO of those coaches on staff. Recruiting is way too important.  In the Big12 (and now every other conference) running these spread offenses, if you have any weakness it will get exploited quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

The University simply isn't committed to winning titles. We've been more interested in being profitable. Our facilities aren't the best. Our strength and conditioning isn't championship level. We establish rules such as only hiring coaches with head coaching experience which prevented us from considering Stoops for example,

When it comes to coaching searches, we generally do a terrible job. Post-Akers, we have hired:

1. David McWilliams - we found the closest connection to DKR available. No search was actually conducted.

2. John Mackovic - We went as far from DKR as possible. Not a championship level hire.

3. Mack Brown - Obviously, a great hire. However, it's hard to give the administration any credit here as they had to be talked down from hiring Gary Barnett who would have been Mackovic Jr.

4. Charlie Strong - The administration didn't want to take any chances on getting turned down and so hired someone who would definitely accept.

5. Tom Herman - Boosters panicked because their chosen one was going to LSU. No search was conducted.

Go out and find the best coach. One who can recruit and cares about the process of getting better every day. One who doesn't look at the program as a chance to enrich his buddies and cares more about winning then just about anything else. One who understands you shouldn't talk about national championships until you can win conference championships.

35 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Go out and find the best coach. One who can recruit and cares about the process of getting better every day. One who doesn't look at the program as a chance to enrich his buddies and cares more about winning then just about anything else. One who understands you shouldn't talk about national championships until you can win conference championships.

The guy at the top of the list has said no. The other obvious choices aren't leaving their current positions.

Who else jumps out at you, and more importantly, who else jumps out at the boosters who will be paying for Tom Herman's buy out?

Along with Georgia, I'd nominate USC as well.  They're like Texas in that there has been a lot of turnover in the AD and they care about things other than winning.  (Bama was like that pre Saban.  Their boosters were still obsessed with "Bear Boys."  They eventually got tired of losing and the rest is history.
The Georgia thing is more puzzling, though.  Their boosters care about winning but they keep wheel spinning.  Cool town close to a huge city, great HS talent in state and in the immediate region, great facilities, etc.  They hired a cookie cutter SEC coach who is obsessed with defense because he doesn't understand offense but even before than, Richt was the same.  They idolize Vince Dooley who had a worse record that Richt, if you can believe that.

If USC is an underperforming program then everyone is. They’ve been underperforming in recent years but don’t let that cloud how consistently successful they’ve been.

The underperformer in SoCal is UCLA.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/9/2020 at 7:18 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Optics are irrelevant and do no matter because the national media will say stuff about us whether we're good or bad on the field.

This one sentence in an overall good post is what drives me nuts. We are so gotdam concerned about how things might “look,” but we don’t seem to realize that the news cycle will quickly move on to the next story. The MB firing was mishandled because of our concern about optics, but the negative attention was short lived. The CS firing was more decisive, yet again the story was quickly forgotten by 99% of the CFB world. 

Stink, however, lingers, and that’s been our problem more often than not. That same CFB world never seems to forget and move on because they see us swimming (drowning?) in cash in a sea of HS FB talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/9/2020 at 8:35 AM, WinningIsHard said:

Players....like cam newton? Adrian Peterson? Demarvin Leal? Jaylon Waddle? All those fuckers were in our back yard. You're saying we pay but we don't pay enough? Name an o-lineman from that 08-09 stretch when Colt was phenomenal. The programs that are cheating don't have to work as hard as we do to keep the pipeline full. If you really think that we compete with overall talent as those teams I just mentioned well then you're living in a fairy tale. 

Not to repost a story I told on the Fred Akers RIP thread, but I’ve heard directly from a player on SMU’s Ponygate teams that Texas was mocked for not buying players. Akers tried selling them the old Texas pride line. I’m not saying it has never happened, nor am I saying that Texas doesn’t turn a cheek to alums giving $100 handshakes, free meals/drinks, and car loans no one else can get. I will claim that if Texas was as active in buying players on the front end, we wouldn’t be outbid for so many Texas HS players. We simply wouldn’t. We have Texas money lol. 

The University simply isn't committed to winning titles. We've been more interested in being profitable. Our facilities aren't the best. Our strength and conditioning isn't championship level. We establish rules such as only hiring coaches with head coaching experience which prevented us from considering Stoops for example,
When it comes to coaching searches, we generally do a terrible job. Post-Akers, we have hired:
1. David McWilliams - we found the closest connection to DKR available. No search was actually conducted.
2. John Mackovic - We went as far from DKR as possible. Not a championship level hire.
3. Mack Brown - Obviously, a great hire. However, it's hard to give the administration any credit here as they had to be talked down from hiring Gary Barnett who would have been Mackovic Jr.
4. Charlie Strong - The administration didn't want to take any chances on getting turned down and so hired someone who would definitely accept.
5. Tom Herman - Boosters panicked because their chosen one was going to LSU. No search was conducted.
While I agree no real search was conducted for many (possibly all) of those, we must admit if a search were done by outside consulting, Herman would have been at the top of the realistic list the year he was hired. (the Saban opportunity had passed) It looked the way it did because he was also at the top of LSU's list..they just moved a bit faster than we did.

3 hours ago, Snacks said:

we hardly ever have both sides of the ball playing well in a game for the last 2 years.  Its exactly why we hardly ever blow anyone decent out.   We gave up 31 to a team ISU shut out.  the Sugar Bowl was probably the last time and we even cratered on D in the 4th to let Georgia back in/make the score respectable.

To me this is the most damning thing about Herman.  He rarely gets the full team ready to peak a game time.  a big part of that was his initial asst coaching hires.  Hand has been a complete bust.  We must fix the gotdamn OL and Urban will do that.  he will also upgrade the speed.

Herman is our Sumlin(in a lot of ways other than football...aggyswag, bottle).  it might not get worse but it aint getting better.  he peaked already.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

The guy at the top of the list has said no. The other obvious choices aren't leaving their current positions.

Who else jumps out at you, and more importantly, who else jumps out at the boosters who will be paying for Tom Herman's buy out?

It's not my job to figure out who should be the next coach at Texas. That's why the University pays CDC. It's the biggest decision he will have in his tenure here.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Read more  

While I agree no real search was conducted for many (possibly all) of those, we must admit if a search were done by outside consulting, Herman would have been at the top of the realistic list the year he was hired. (the Saban opportunity had passed) It looked the way it did because he was also at the top of LSU's list..they just moved a bit faster than we did.

I don't disagree with this on Herman. However, if we had executed a search, then some of his flaws may have become apparent, another candidate may have emerged (similar to Mack vs Barnett), etc. 

To the OP, I think the fact that we pay top top dollar for coaches and assistants has a lot to do with it.  Texas is a destination job like few others, so when coaches  finally get here, there is a certain sense of "I've made it".  I think what motivates a lot of younger coaches is to get to a place where they feel like professionally they are at the top of their field and Texas touches that box. 

Once here, I really think they stop grinding like they did when they were younger and hungrier.  They coast a bit.  Throw in the huge amount of money we always pay and the coaches have realize a  windfall if it doesnt work out.  We do things the right way in terms of employment, its professional, coaches  all get treated well and its not a grind anymore to them. 

Take Auburn, Maryland (only b/c they beat us recently), OSU, Baylor etc...coaches jump ship from there all the time to take bigger better jobs.  The replacements are always working their asses off to make it.   Unless TX coaches get fired, they would never leave, so all they have to do just enough to keep their cushy job. 

The only way to change the culture is to hire a stemwinder like Saban or Meyer. The people (I work with high net worth individuals) I work with that have the most $$ and run the most profitable/successful businesses have two things in common:

1. they have the best Leadership

2. they have a Plan

We have not had the best Leadership since right prior to Mack winning the title.  After the title, the rot set in.  Everyone was getting paid huge amounts of money, Strength guy, Coordinators etc...add in  Mack trying to change the plan (to go more Bama heavy run oriented Offense, missing clear signs the HUNH was coming), compounded with the the lack of hungry assistants (brought on by big salaries and a title run) and a lack of plan to deal with complacency is the reason we have under-performed the last 15years, imo.

3 hours ago, Snacks said:

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Not to repost a story I told on the Fred Akers RIP thread, but I’ve heard directly from a player on SMU’s Ponygate teams that Texas was mocked for not buying players. Akers tried selling them the old Texas pride line. I’m not saying it has never happened, nor am I saying that Texas doesn’t turn a cheek to alums giving $100 handshakes, free meals/drinks, and car loans no one else can get. I will claim that if Texas was as active in buying players on the front end, we wouldn’t be outbid for so many Texas HS players. We simply wouldn’t. We have Texas money lol. 

I referenced both quotes because that first one started off completely wrong. The second one is a first hand account of why Texas has had trouble sustaining success. It’s easier to coach and easier to look like a good coach when you pay for your recruits. As mentioned by a different poster if you stack DB’s but get no LB’s and have a weak DL then those DB’s will struggle while they are here. If you have Colt at QB but you didn’t recruit OL then it doesn’t matter that you have earl Thomas at S. Check out the bulk of the recruiting classes from the teams that play the game. They have talent everywhere, every damn year. You don’t need 10 five stars at one time when you pay for 3 a year guaranteed for a span of 7 or 8 years. They stack up on you lol. Coaching has been a big time failure for Texas that I will agree with but if we paid players it wouldn’t be near the problem that it has been. Tell me who filled on for cosmi and kerstetter real quick because at bama and Clemson the back ups are animals too. 

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Georgia will forever be a mystery. A ridiculous amount of talent and they just can't do it. It's mind boggling. I agree with you about USC, too. It's crazy that they care less about football than we do. Their state, much like ours is littered with talent, but the difference is no matter how bad they do, Mater Dei kids will always go there. It's got to be the most brainwashed school in the country. 

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I referenced both quotes because that first one started off completely wrong. The second one is a first hand account of why Texas has had trouble sustaining success. It’s easier to coach and easier to look like a good coach when you pay for your recruits. As mentioned by a different poster if you stack DB’s but get no LB’s and have a weak DL then those DB’s will struggle while they are here. If you have Colt at QB but you didn’t recruit OL then it doesn’t matter that you have earl Thomas at S. Check out the bulk of the recruiting classes from the teams that play the game. They have talent everywhere, every damn year. You don’t need 10 five stars at one time when you pay for 3 a year guaranteed for a span of 7 or 8 years. They stack up on you lol. Coaching has been a big time failure for Texas that I will agree with but if we paid players it wouldn’t be near the problem that it has been. Tell me who filled on for cosmi and kerstetter real quick because at bama and Clemson the back ups are animals too. 

Well, yeah, no shit Bama and Clemson have players... they've been winning...

Who are the backups at ISU, TCU, OU?

Cosmi and Kerstetter were out and we rolled on offense...  rumor has it, play caller was a different person.

When Cosmi and Kerstetter were in, we looked like shit against a few teams, unless we were in the 3 minute drill... 

If we were paying players A LOT we'd still look like ass right now... 

Akina left, and we haven't been able to coach the DBs worth a shit...

Our LBs can make it to the league, but we all think they're ass when they're here... how is that possible?

Oscar Giles somehow gets his DL to play, but we've been bitching about DL recruiting for years... must be luck...

We have had NFL OL during this downturn, but for whatever reason, we could only block the run when Gilbert/Mattox were doing their thing.

Bijan Robinson seems to get 5 carries a half... that has nothing to do with paying players.

Our WRs look slow as shit and seem to only run two routes, and only one route is ever open... do we believe our WR are actually slow?

Our shit is poorly coached... yes, we need depth, but our 1s and 2s need to be coached, or depth won't matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

Cosmi and Kerstetter were out and we rolled on offense...  rumor has it, play caller was a different person.

When Cosmi and Kerstetter were in, we looked like shit against a few teams, unless we were in the 3 minute drill... 

Our LBs can make it to the league, but we all think they're ass when they're here... how is that possible?

Oscar Giles somehow gets his DL to play, but we've been bitching about DL recruiting for years... must be luck...

We have had NFL OL during this downturn, but for whatever reason, we could only block the run when Gilbert/Mattox were doing their thing.

Bijan Robinson seems to get 5 carries a half... that has nothing to do with paying players.

Our WRs look slow as shit and seem to only run two routes, and only one route is ever open... do we believe our WR are actually slow?

Our shit is poorly coached... yes, we need depth, but our 1s and 2s need to be coached, or depth won't matter.

I'd say Bijan gets about 5 carries a game. It's fucking criminal how inept our coaching staff is. 

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

this is total bullshit and has been refuted by perlman the person that was chancellor of nebraska at the time in a direct interview with the news paper of record in nebraska

he specifically stated without a doubt that nebraska was against a Big 12 conference network and voted against it, nebraska would only agree to a conference network if the sharing of revenues was UNEQUAL and that nebraska was further along in developing their own network than Texas was

Edited by ButtFumble

15 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

this is total bullshit and has been refuted by perlman the person that was chancellor of nebraska at the time in a direct interview with the news paper of record in nebraska

he specifically stated without a doubt that nebraska was against a Big 12 conference network and voted against it, nebraska would only agree to a conference network if the sharing of revenues was UNEQUAL and that nebraska was further along in developing their own network than Texas was

The point is, Nebraska knew that the LHN was in the works when they left the Big 12, even if the network wasn't officially announced until nearly a year after they were gone.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:12 AM, Vic Mackey said:

I don't think Saban or Dabo retiring changes anything. They are machines now and recruit and run themselves. Look at OU when they went from Stoops to Riley. Did not miss a beat. Ohio St when it went from Urban to Day. Did not miss a beat. They can plug and play and still be on top. Their down years are the years we now dream of.

None of these replacements had to rebuild. 

The same might be true of Texas if we were not robbed of the chance to play in the 2008 BCSCG. It was clear 2009 was a drop off except for Colt & Shipley. Mack would have retired instead of riding things to the near bottom. Boom wasn’t the greatest, but he probably does better here than he did at UF, certainly better than Chuckles coming in after 2013. Boom clearly can’t rebuild, but maybe he could have maintained what we had at the time. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

The point is, Nebraska knew that the LHN was in the works when they left the Big 12, even if the network wasn't officially announced until nearly a year after they were gone.

but that had nothing to do with the leaving

their chancellor at the time stated without a doubt that Texas really had nothing at all to do with them leaving and that nebraska voted the same as Texas on pretty much every major conference decision including the CCG in dallas, the headquarters in dallas, no network, and unequal revenue sharing

51 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

but that had nothing to do with the leaving

their chancellor at the time stated without a doubt that Texas really had nothing at all to do with them leaving and that nebraska voted the same as Texas on pretty much every major conference decision including the CCG in dallas, the headquarters in dallas, no network, and unequal revenue sharing

Oh, well, if that's what he said it's obviously true.

5 hours ago, Snacks said:

You gotta be fucking with me at this point. If you start from 2013 when Mack burned it down we have three OL in the nfl right now. Trey Hopkins has started 37 games total in 6 years. Connor Williams routinely gets his shit pushed in and only starts now because of injuries. Three OL. If you think coaching will make Sam more like Justin Fields and turn roschon Johnson into Najee Harris then you’re stupid. If Texas plays the game the way Aggy and bama are playing it right now then Mack never falls off. We never hire strong or herman. You think we are doing all this while also cheating???? No we are snobby assholes and the football world has passed us by. Kirby smart is not a great football coach but I’ll be fucking damned if he doesn’t have a team full of bad mother fuckers that go to the nfl and don’t do shit. What does Georgia offer that gets them top 3 classes? Not a single title, not fucking one. Notre Dame with Ian book now that I will give you bro, that proves that coaching makes a difference. Mack didn’t win that title with Vince by coaching him. That’s preposterous. The play is “Vince do what you do, on one.” You cheat your ass off and sign some stud OL for Colt and he wins two more titles. Fuck it I’m done, now I’m depressed again. 

6 hours ago, Snacks said:

We went from power / man / counter blocking concepts to heavy outside zone blocking concepts. And put a natural tackle to center. Of course our line was going to be bad even though Kerstetter is not a bad player. Center is the second most important person on the field other than QB. Should have let Jake Majors be baptized by fire from game one this season. At least he had center experience.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:40 PM, ATXbronco said:

Nick Saban had a .589 average his first five years coaching.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/nick-saban-1.html

Tom Herman has had a .843 average his first five years coaching.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/tom-herman-2.html

This means nothing other than I hope Herman gets it going someday like Nick did after his first few years as a head coach.

Herman is .712 (47-19) over his first 5 seasons and .707 (53-22) to date. 

16 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Nebraska left, in part, because DeLoss Dodds was tossing around the idea that became the LHN.

https://mgoblog.com/diaries/why-nebraska-left-big-xii

Please stop,

There was a much more in-depth article in the Omaha or Lincoln paper that tells a different story. I linked it on the TOS the day it came out. It was titled something like Nebraska’s Big 10 Decision or some shit. Colorado and Missouri had been looking to leave long before LHN, and aggy declined an invitation to do a joint network with Texas only to later fabricate stories blaming it and bully Texas for them fleeing. 

I’ve got reservations about how good the LHN has been for Texas, but it’s not the reason the Big 12 started falling apart.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/9/2020 at 12:00 AM, Spider2YBanana said:

Yes, we're probably the most underperforming program in the country. With all of our resources, BMD's, and athletes in the state, we're being laughed at for good reason. 

We aren't the "most" underperforming.  And from 2000-2009 we had the best winning % and were the highest ranked school in the ending polls.

Mack only had 1 title, but it should have been 3 except for Colt's injury and the stupid polls in 2008.

Now since then and from mid 80s to 1997 we underperformed, but we still haven't underperformed like UCLA and Texas A&M have, to name a couple.

We had some bad coaching hires.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:52 PM, LTtxfan said:

Bad Head Coaching Hires...

(Bama dug out of a hole when Saban arrived.  It's a shame Butterteeth Sabotaged Saban coming to TEXAS.     BlOU did same with Stoops turning that program around... )

Alabama's pre Saban decade and OU's pre Stoops decade were worse than our bad years.

On 12/10/2020 at 1:13 PM, hornmpa96 said:

I don't disagree with this on Herman. However, if we had executed a search, then some of his flaws may have become apparent, another candidate may have emerged (similar to Mack vs Barnett), etc. 

Herman looks just like he did at Houston.  Brown was just like he was at North Carolina.  Mackovic was just like he was at Illinois.  A search wouldn't have made any difference.  We knew their weaknesses coming in.

There just aren't that many Sabans and Sweeneys out there.  And with all the money, its hard for some of that coaching talent to develop.  Schools won't take chances or won't give coaches enough time.  People were looking for DKR's head in 1967 after 3 straight 6-4 seasons, just before the greatest era in UT's football history.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:07 PM, VABuckeye said:

I'd add more than Urban to Ohio State.  Of all the big name programs Ohio State seems to have hit more home runs with head coaches and had less misses than many of the other big name programs.  Their last six full-time head coaches are all in or will be in the College Football Hall of Fame.  Of course, Day isn't in that category.

John Cooper and Earl Bruce?  College Football Hall of Fame has pretty low standards.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/10/2020 at 10:04 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I disagree on having enough talent. Sure we had lots of talent and great recruiting rankings, but we didn't have the right balance of talent. We left gaping holes in areas and stockpiled too many in others. We had no balance to our talent/recruiting. He had/have coaches on staff that are not good or don't like recruiting. We should have ZERO of those coaches on staff. Recruiting is way too important.  In the Big12 (and now every other conference) running these spread offenses, if you have any weakness it will get exploited quickly.

Strong left the cupboard bare.  Herman came in with a team that was not as talented as OU or TCU and not clearly ahead of most of the rest.  Far and away worst team talent compared to our competitors as long as I remember--and that goes back to the 60s.  Strong made McWilliams look good.