Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

I wanted to start a thread dedicated to old  4x4’s that don’t quite fit in the classic car thread.

I’ll start; I’ve got a 2002 3rd gen 4Runner; 216k miles; 4x4; old man emu suspension with bilstein shocks.

It’s all dented up but runs great and hoping to get 300k out of it.

Show me what you have:

• Hook 'Em 1

Just commenting so this shows up in my participated threads.  I have a 2013 Tacoma and before that a 2010 that I flipped on its side and spun down MOPAC.  Neither 4x4, but as soon as I get a new gig, I plan on getting a 4runner Off Road.  My younger brother now had a 4runner, I think it was a 2000 model, maybe a little older.  Man, that was a great SUV. 

Carry on gentlemen.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is mine. 2011 Base model 4x4. Daily driver with just over 100k miles (bought it in 16 with 35k). Been all over the US camping in this thing (BiBe, PINS, Utah Big 5, California, Arizona, Oregon, Colorado).

love the long bed for the storage and to sleep in, but man that extra wheelbase was a bitch running the switchback passes around Ouray/Telluride. 

E8774E40-0B03-4716-8F36-107064C88041.jpeg

83B7721B-D1BF-4928-9D60-1178FDF6D33D.jpeg

65535E10-A73C-4278-9B77-0BBC6661F8B7.jpeg

A50AD4BC-FD78-4786-895C-9C8F8BE17ED5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yep, that's where that picture was taken.

There's also a set of streets in bastrop that were laid out by a developer and after a heavy rain turn into a mud pit that people go to. I haven't been to it.

I have, that is where my first pic is taken. You need recent rain, or its just bad dirt roads. Also, city may have recently shut it down based on info I have heard (this was a failed subdivided neighbor hood from the 80's, so they are city streets). I haven't been in 2 years or so, but it was well known then, and could get crazy packed, so I imagine its gotten exponentially worse.

20 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Here’s my 2000 LX470. I would’ve liked to have an 80 series instead but I do way too much highway driving and the 100s are just way better on the road.
The LX has the adjustable height suspension so I can lift and lower it a couple inches as needed. That will go out one day and I’ll replace it with conventional suspension with a 2” lift. But for now it rides smooth as butter.
db315830958e4bf45ce9f25e7e04b999.jpg

I have the 3rd row seats removed and a drawer system that forms a sleeping platform with the 2nd row seats folded down. Perfect simple car camping. No tent needed if there’s just two of us. The girlfriend likes it way better than a tent and I like the convenience of it.
There’s a fridge in the back powered by a 100w solar panel on the roof when I’m not driving and by my alternator when I am. Steaks on camping trips, cold beer after every mountain bike ride, cold Gatorades for the kids after practices, etc... It runs 24/7 and I love never needing ice. I can pull the fridge and portable battery out at a campsite and put in a second air mattress for sleeping 2 or I can just sleep next to it when I’m solo.
9924632e166094055a8b1a101100b3aa.jpg

ef524a363d89e90cdfa9785ac9413c83.jpg

8de470d29a3844ae0b191c1ce97ab174.jpg

f62ce2c0750632ac9cb22646724e8062.jpg

It’s 6 years older than my old Taco but so much nicer. I had all the seat leather reupholstered and it's getting a new stereo with wireless Apple Carplay next week. The gas mileage sucks but I love driving it. It’s my daily driver for the next 3 years until my younger son turns 16. It’ll go to him and I’ll finally by something newer for myself. Probably a 200 series Cruiser or a 4runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cropping by helen keller

Bought this for my kid early this year. 2002 tundra. It had been in LA for about 9 months. 130k miles. Paint was terrible. Lots of sap and just lots of pollution on the paint. Chrome was oxidized and the rubber seals on the front windows were cracking and peeling. But I knew how good that titanium oxide paint is. Body was basically perfect and I grabbed it for 8 grand. 

Took about 4 clay bars and then a couple different cutting compounds but it came out great. Leather inside was perfect and once I vacuumed and cleaned the carpets it looked almost new. 

Paid 8 grand. Owner texted me last week if he could buy it back. No fucking chance.  Who knows how long this will last him. 

Attach95454_20201126_112336.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 5:41 AM, topochico said:

Sold it this year. Kinda miss it at times. 

EB2A330C-738C-4755-879E-626AB8D76550_1_201_a.jpeg

I had a 94 with the 22R 4 banger in it. I sold it in 2002 when I got a real job and started making money and got new truckitis. Stick, roll up windows and push locks. I think it had 180K miles on it when I sold it, and I bet it's still running somewhere if it hasn't been wrecked.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, pops said:

God that thing brings back memories. The headliners,  the brakes,  that rear window. But damn if they weren't awesome! 

I slammed the gate a little too hard once and the window (lowered into it) shattered.  The thing was like having a car payment on a paid off used car.  Repairs ran me about $250 per month.  5.9L with a 2 barrel carb and a 15 gallon tank doesn't take you far.  You needed to start looking for gas stations when the needle hit 1/4 tank left. 

But drop it into 4WD-L, and it could pull a ski boat out of the water at idle.  An absolute tractor.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

One of my high school buddies got one handed down by his dad. We came up to Austin for Spring Break our senior year and had to stop and fill it up 3 times between Port Arthur and Austin. 

3 gallons to the mile. 

18 minutes ago, dcbc said:

3 gallons to the mile. 

You could hear the gas tank dumping into the carb. 

Csb/

Earl holding,  the guy that bought sun valley in the 70s and turned it into what it is today had a couple and had them for all of the company cars up there in the 80s and early 90s. And he kept them immaculate. It was so cool to see those things running around. 

He died maybe 7 or 8 years ago and his baby blue one with the maroon interior was up for auction. It was flat perfect. I want to say 30k miles. Look like it was still on the showroom floor.  Thought about it for about half a second then realized the nostalgia of those babies is way better than actually owning one! 

/csb

40 minutes ago, pops said:

You could hear the gas tank dumping into the carb. 

Csb/

Earl holding,  the guy that bought sun valley in the 70s and turned it into what it is today had a couple and had them for all of the company cars up there in the 80s and early 90s. And he kept them immaculate. It was so cool to see those things running around. 

He died maybe 7 or 8 years ago and his baby blue one with the maroon interior was up for auction. It was flat perfect. I want to say 30k miles. Look like it was still on the showroom floor.  Thought about it for about half a second then realized the nostalgia of those babies is way better than actually owning one! 

/csb

There's a guy (In Kerville maybe?) that redoes them and sells them for crazy prices.  I don't recall if he does a fuel injection conversion.  I'm glad I got the experience for $5K.   Yes, nostalgia is what you're buying.  

https://wagonmaster.com/collections/vehicles

I'll have to go dig up some pics, but my first car was a '91 4Runner, I think it was the last year for TOYOTA to be spelled out across the grille instead of the logo.  It was a fantastic car that I beat the crap out of as an idiot teenager and ran in until it had 199k on it.  It was 2WD otherwise it would probably still be in the family rolling around at the deer lease.  It was losing compression in one of the cylinders so I got $2k on a trade in from it towards a 2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4.  That was the first car that I bought on my own and it was probably more vehicle than I could really afford at the time.  I loved it and only got it stuck once - was back-roading while home for Christmas and got off a little too far in the ditch without it already locked in 4wd.  Sunk it down to the frame and couldn't spin the front tires enough to get the 4wd engaged - called a buddy to come yank me out and after moving it about a foot, the front wheels engaged and it jumped out of the ruts.  I drove it for 125k miles and had to sell it when we had our 2nd child - got $10k on a trade and wish I had the money at the time to keep it.  I've been in Suburbans/Yukons since then but will probably get another Yota when we are totally done with car seats.  

My pops got a new loaded out Taco 2 years ago and the off-road tech has come a really long way since I had mine.  It's an absolute mule that I think would really take some effort to get stuck.   

IMG_0043.jpg

Edited by The Royal We
Added pic

On 12/13/2020 at 3:23 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

I had a 94 with the 22R 4 banger in it. I sold it in 2002 when I got a real job and started making money and got new truckitis. Stick, roll up windows and push locks. I think it had 180K miles on it when I sold it, and I bet it's still running somewhere if it hasn't been wrecked.

I've still got a 95 with the V6 and 4wd. The manual locking hubs on the front wheels are boss. Had 160K on it when I bought it 15 yrs ago. Close to 250K on it now, lot of that additional mileage is on gravel or off road.

Poor thing is beat to shit, but still grinds out the miles.

Clutch is starting to go and radiator has rust in it. Also the heater fan doesn't blow. I'm thinking its about time to retire it.

I need to get off my lazy ass and post pics.

• 2 weeks later...

GF and I just spent 3 days in and around Big Bend Ranch State Park in mine.  First time I played around with the rear diff locker.  Probably didn't need it but locking it up to crawl up a few creek crossings on the backroads was fun.  It makes it so easy.  No slippage at all.

lx.thumb.jpg.6b5e16d144271cb7807d12c0300196e3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2