Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

So last time I talked about replacing my Taco, I jumped the gun a bit, but tomorrow I start a new gig. It seems nothing has improved as far as supply/inventory and I have read that 4runners are among the most desired vehicles. Great.

I can certainly wait a bit longer, but I am anxious. I was looking on cars.com and saw there are a few vehicles in the area. A couple of questions for y’all with more experience (I have only bought two new vehicles in my life).

1. The prices listed look to be the MSRP. I was expecting to see more gouging, are this prices on cars.com not the actual price?

2. I assume because of low supply, negotiating the price down much won’t happen, right?

3. More specific to this thread, I am looking at either a TRD Off Road Premium and the Venture. All the differences are aesthetic, am I missing something? Buy the Off Road and add on myself? It’s mostly small things like TRD Pro grill, maybe different rims.

Any input?

• Hook 'Em 1

Can you wait until Nov-Dec when the supposed chip shortage is due to decline?  Brutal out there for buyers 

This one is around the corner from me. $10k more than I paid new and 30k miles. 

https://www.covertbuickgmc.com/inventory/used-2019-toyota-4runner-sr5-4-wheel-drive-utility-jtebu5jrxk5703193/

In Houston, keep an eye on Haas Toyota World and Country, but they go fast

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Can you wait until Nov-Dec when the supposed chip shortage is due to decline?  Brutal out there for buyers 
This one is around the corner from me. $10k more than I paid new and 30k miles. 

https://www.covertbuickgmc.com/inventory/used-2019-toyota-4runner-sr5-4-wheel-drive-utility-jtebu5jrxk5703193/
In Houston, keep an eye on Haas Toyota World and Country, but they go fast

Yeah, I will likely wait a few months. But I am not going to get the TRD Pro. Leaning towards the Off Road Premium and then upgrading parts myself to look like a Pro. Maybe wishful thinking, but was hoping I could get a 2021 Off Road Premium for $42-43k.

I wouldn't expect IC supply shortages to ease up this year.  Middle of next year is what we're looking at in the computer industry, which shares the same supply chain on many of the microchip components that are causing shortages for vehicles.

• Rage+1 1

Yeah. This year will be tough. The 4R groups on Facebook are full of posts with dealers adding a premium. Other tell tales of finding a dealership they had to fly to to get just at or barely under MSRP. If I hadn’t got mine when I did (a few months ago) I’d wait until next year.

Or go to a local dealer, tell em what your looking for and your price and add you to the list. The demand will ease eventually.

I bought an SR5 4WD and think the interior is fine for me, but I get the desire to TRD everything. Mine came with TRD wheels but I’ll probably get different tires soon. You probably already know this but I have seen a lot of aftermarket stuff to add your own touch, some I’ve done (chrome blackout, floor mats, remote start) and some I haven’t (grill swap, raptor lights, shifter, led interior lights). There is some decent stuff way cheaper than the Toyota OEM accessories like cartrimhome and Amazon.

• Like 1

Nice. Yeah, I am not interested in the basket. And the premium for the TRD rims from the dealership on the Venture vs buying them myself and adding to the Off Road isn’t worth it. It’s not that I necessarily want it to be TRD interior, but I like the pleather and the color it comes in for the Off Road premium. But I am still open.

I did watch a video today from a dealer saying Lunar Rock will be available for a few trims in the 2022 model. So I am considering that.

I dropped by a dealer today just test drive one, mostly because I was bored.  TRD Off Road Premium.  They had it at $47K.  Kind of ridiculous.  The sales guy said they are being told that things probably won't be much better next year.  As discussed here, I really doubt I can get pre pandemic deals of like $3-5k under MSRP.  I can wait, but I definitely don't want to wait 2 years.  After all, my Taco has 208,000 miles and can probably sell it for $12k.  Not really sure what to do.  Goddamn COVID.

1 hour ago, GottaB said:

I’d get on the 4Runner groups or forums. Every so often when someone mentions prices, a sales guy at a dealership mentions they’ll sell at MSRP. You might have to get on a plane, but you could get one at list.

Probably cheaper to just ship it.  I’ve bought multiple cars out of state before, but I also enjoy a good road trip.

Last night a Off Road Premium popped up on cars.com for about $2.5k less than MSRP and in the Houston area. Dealership was closed, so I sent an email offer. This morning the car has disappeared from their site. Oh well. If I am going to pay MSRP, I’ll likely wait until the 2022 comes out and order it how I want it.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 7:26 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

So last time I talked about replacing my Taco, I jumped the gun a bit, but tomorrow I start a new gig. It seems nothing has improved as far as supply/inventory and I have read that 4runners are among the most desired vehicles. Great.

I can certainly wait a bit longer, but I am anxious. I was looking on cars.com and saw there are a few vehicles in the area. A couple of questions for y’all with more experience (I have only bought two new vehicles in my life).

1. The prices listed look to be the MSRP. I was expecting to see more gouging, are this prices on cars.com not the actual price?

2. I assume because of low supply, negotiating the price down much won’t happen, right?

3. More specific to this thread, I am looking at either a TRD Off Road Premium and the Venture. All the differences are aesthetic, am I missing something? Buy the Off Road and add on myself? It’s mostly small things like TRD Pro grill, maybe different rims.

Any input?

I was off the board for a week so I might have missed it if you posted it elsewhere, but congrats on the new gig. I know you've been looking a while. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Would love they towing increases with the hybrids though.

Pretty amazed there hasn’t been any real good leaks yet. Just a lot of speculation

Saw something on another forum where they were sure it would be made in Japan. Who knows. Ready to see the next generation though.

So 2022 build is up on the Toyota site. The TRD Off Road Premium has the bumper of a limited. People are up in arms. I agree, doesn’t look good.

I have a 2021 magnetic gray on hold, but have requested a quote for 3 colors of the 2022 YRD Off Road. Leaning towards army green. I really like lunar rock, but it just makes me with cavalry blue or cement ere an option. By far my favorite paint colors.

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So 2022 build is up on the Toyota site. The TRD Off Road Premium has the bumper of a limited. People are up in arms. I agree, doesn’t look good.

I wonder if this is just an issue with the build configurator. The blue rig with the Paw-Paw bumper isn't consistent with the pic of the red TRD premium right below it:

4runner.jpg

Yeah, some guys on the T4R forum are saying it’s a mistake. But, with the way pricing is ridiculous now, the OR is what I am looking to spend anyways. The drive out on the ORP is ranging from $48k-52k.

I no longer am a Costco member, but their site also has the 2022 up. I wonder how long the wait would be. I have talked to two dealerships in Houston today and the sales people had no idea the 2022s were up on the Toyota site, nor could they give me any information about when I could order one.

I have a 2021 on hold a couple of hours away. It’s gray, which I love. Just mulling over waiting. And while I do that I am sure it will be sold out from under me.

On 8/24/2021 at 12:14 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Saw this video on Youtube a few weeks ago in which the guy (whose constant hand gestures drive me nuts) said it's "50/50" that production of the 6th gen 4Runner will get moved from Japan to San Antonio.  Frankly, that would make me less likely to buy it, but YMMV.    

I hope they give the new pro a higher output motor

2 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Saw my first new Bronco today. It was a sport model with OEM wheels and tires. It looked like a Fiat 500 on steroids from the rear. Not a good look.

CHIEF

It looks like they pulled a crumpled up LR Discovery design out of the dumpster and decided to build it. I don't like it at all. 

There are basically two different vehicles, but both wear the Bronco badge.

There's the Bronco Sport (which as you noted is like a Jeep Liberty) and the full-sized Bronco (which comes in 2-door and 4-door versions and is roughly equivalent to the Jeep Wrangler, actually a little bigger).

I'm a Jeep owner but I really like the looks of the new full-sized Bronco.  It's a cool vehicle and it will force Jeep to upgrade its options in order to keep up with some new competition in the market.

The little Bronco Sport is just like any other compact SUV and is nothing special.

But this brand confusion is just proof that they did a poor job on the branding.  It reminds me of the Landrover/Rangerover screwup from decades ago that still persists in causing brand confusion in the US to this day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

As utee94 said above, you didn't see a bronco, you saw the bronco sport, that has been out for months. 

Just more evidence that Ford really screwed up the branding on this, that's for sure.

I get it, that they want to use the powerful Bronco marque as an umbrella, to produce a halo effect for other products.  But the brand confusion, and resulting brand dilution, might not be worth it in the long run.

58 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

That looks awesome. Nothing like what I saw today. It's angular, no soft edges, the way a Bronco is supposed to be.

CHIEF

2 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yeah, I was excited about the new bronco and was going to go check them out, but have seen the ones around town and I had crossed it off as something I would be interested in. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't even know the difference.

Yeah the full-sized Bronco looks pretty bad-ass.  

There's been a decent amount of discussion about it on the Truck Nuts thread, and at least one surly poster that's on the waiting list to buy one.

I have a 2021 magnetic gray on hold, but have requested a quote for 3 colors of the 2022 YRD Off Road. Leaning towards army green. I really like lunar rock, but it just makes me with cavalry blue or cement ere an option. By far my favorite paint colors.
Army Green is great. Wish they offered it for Landcruisers. I would have one.

Yeah, I was excited about the new bronco and was going to go check them out, but have seen the ones around town and I had crossed it off as something I would be interested in. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't even know the difference.

They made a HUUuUuGe mistake releasing the sport first. So dumb. It looks like a toy.

The actual Bronco looks worth a consideration a couple years from now when all the kinks are worked out and the aftermarket is in full swing.

Since I just got my 4R this year, it’ll be at least 5 years before I would be in the market.

23bdc0a284682d5afd10bfe38ab61610.jpg
Beforea8066700e6fd835ad284a5f9da949828.jpg
After.

Swapped out the Bridgestone Dueler HT 265/70r17 for BFG KO2 275/70r17.

I am going back to them balanced. They have the same issues the originals had with a serious wobble at 60-70 mph. I wanted Wildpeaks AT3W but didn’t want to wait for them to come in.

I still plan on leveling it out with some billstein 5100s all around.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1