Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

I'm holding off on a new truck until they come out with the new Tacoma design, in 2024 most likely.  But I was reading up on the Pro vs OR recently and it didn't sound like there were enough upgrades to justify $10k.  It's mostly suspension upgrades on a system that was already very capable.  You could likely upgrade an OR version to similar specs with after-market stuff for way less.  Plus, I want a long bed and they don't offer that in the Pro.  

Also, until the supply chain issues are fully resolved, you will be paying a lot more than that $10k.

I’m keeping my 99 4Runner SR5 Sport V6 4x4. It’s got about 165k on it. AC blows cold. Now a family heirloom. Everything works. I’ve replaced a radiator. Some front suspension parts. Everything else is maintenance. I use Lucas Oil additives in oil and fuel. The only bad thing on it is paint. Old house has 16 huge crepe myrtles that seeped all over it and my Acura and ate the paint.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’m keeping my 99 4Runner SR5 Sport V6 4x4. It’s got about 165k on it. AC blows cold. Now a family heirloom. Everything works. I’ve replaced a radiator. Some front suspension parts. Everything else is maintenance. I use Lucas Oil additives in oil and fuel. The only bad thing on it is paint. Old house has 16 huge crepe myrtles that seeped all over it and my Acura and ate the paint.

Is your’s an auto or standard? Does it have rear locking differential? Those a getting super expensive and desirable

I'm holding off on a new truck until they come out with the new Tacoma design, in 2024 most likely.  But I was reading up on the Pro vs OR recently and it didn't sound like there were enough upgrades to justify $10k.  It's mostly suspension upgrades on a system that was already very capable.  You could likely upgrade an OR version to similar specs with after-market stuff for way less.  Plus, I want a long bed and they don't offer that in the Pro.  

I had the long bed off-road Tacoma prior to my Bronco and the turning radius was horrifically bad. Parking it was comically difficult in tight parking lots. You just have to be that douche bag that backs in to every spot.

I really liked my 2010 and 2013 Tacos, but damn do I love this 2021 4runner. There are only a few things I wish were different. On the frivolous side of things, wireless CarPlay and wireless charging (like some of the recent Tacos have). And the other is it could use just a bit more power. Nothing ridiculous because I bought a 4runner expecting a 4runner, but it could use a little more kick in the pants.

Is your’s an auto or standard? Does it have rear locking differential? Those a getting super expensive and desirable

It’s an automatic. It’s been in 4WD maybe twice. I can’t recall on the rear diff. Ashamed to say it served most of its life as a station wagon for my wife, hauling crafts shit and taking dogs to the vet. That V6 drivetrain is so fucking good and reliable; I would love to fix it up in a few years for my 7 year old granddaughter.

My biggest concern is simply age. The plastics are getting brittle. I had to replace the center dash fascia when a 2x4 slid forward into it and it just shattered.

There is only one thing on the truck I hate: the back window down button on the remote. A slight touch in the pocket and the window rolls down, usually during a downpour.

• 4 weeks later...

16yr old son wants a Taco.  Pricing them out, is.....fun.

So I know the 3.5 is bulletproof, but what about the 2.7?  I want him to be able to go to the ranch with me or his friends, have a small truck bed to move stuff around, and it's easier to drive/park than my Tundra.

Is the 2.7 a dog for a HS driver and probably when he goes off to college?  Looking used obviously, maybe around 60k-80k miles?  

Any more/less reliable than the 6 cylinder?

On 5/29/2022 at 11:07 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I really liked my 2010 and 2013 Tacos, but damn do I love this 2021 4runner. There are only a few things I wish were different. On the frivolous side of things, wireless CarPlay and wireless charging (like some of the recent Tacos have). And the other is it could use just a bit more power. Nothing ridiculous because I bought a 4runner expecting a 4runner, but it could use a little more kick in the pants.

On those 2010-2015 yr Taco's, did they add any tech?  They seem to be the same basic design YOY?  Small infotainment screen.  Rear camera.  Anything else?

On those 2010-2015 yr Taco's, did they add any tech?  They seem to be the same basic design YOY?  Small infotainment screen.  Rear camera.  Anything else?

Not much. Blue tooth but no apple CarPlay.

As for a 4 banger, I wouldn’t do it. I haven’t driven a Taco with one, but my wife’s Equinox is complete dogshit and I won’t let her buy another 4 cylinder.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Not much. Blue tooth but no apple CarPlay.

As for a 4 banger, I wouldn’t do it. I haven’t driven a Taco with one, but my wife’s Equinox is complete dogshit and I won’t let her buy another 4 cylinder.

Just a weak powerplant or reliability issues?  I do worry about his ability to accelerate in and out of problems on highway and steep grades (like Ranger Hill).  Our place is past it so it's not an option to avoid.  

Just a weak powerplant or reliability issues?  I do worry about his ability to accelerate in and out of problems on highway and steep grades (like Ranger Hill).  Our place is past it so it's not an option to avoid.  

Weak. I hate driving it around Houston. Especially trying to get on the freeway. Complete dog.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I mean, it would make it up Ranger Hill fine, but yeah they are pretty weak. I would not buy a Tacoma with a 4 cylinder. Well, not that 4 cylinder. The one in the Ranger is fine, for example, but it’s the main engine choice there.

While I’d love that 40th anniversary 4Runner, I’ll make do with my old buddy here. It’s now a family heirloom I’m hoping can be my granddaughter’s first ride in nine years.

99 SR5 Sport 3.4L V6 4WD. Only 169000 miles. Air blows cold. Paint sucks.f7b1fd144df5680a69df669789e38c6e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

While I’d love that 40th anniversary 4Runner, I’ll make do with my old buddy here. It’s now a family heirloom I’m hoping can be my granddaughter’s first ride in nine years.

99 SR5 Sport 3.4L V6 4WD. Only 169000 miles. Air blows cold. Paint sucks.f7b1fd144df5680a69df669789e38c6e.jpg

Yeah - unfortunate that the green paint turned out to be that way. It was a gorgeous color when new. Front bumper puzzles me. Mine is 2001 but I thouhgt the only choices were painted or chrome. Your looks like it has a lower lip of something else

Yeah - unfortunate that the green paint turned out to be that way. It was a gorgeous color when new. Front bumper puzzles me. Mine is 2001 but I thouhgt the only choices were painted or chrome. Your looks like it has a lower lip of something else

I think that was the Sport trim that also got the silly hood scoop.

The green paint was beautiful when I bought it as a certified preowned in 02. It has a pinstripe that has faded away that was a hot orange red that was perfect. You can still see a little touch. The paint was killed by crepe myrtle weep. Nefarious weeds those fucking things. Worse than fire ants, zebra mussels, tegu lizards, and feral cats. I might wrap it or paint it.

The only real issue was the sunroof which developed a bad leak. I’ve spent hours and bucks trying to fix, finally I sealed it with FlexSeal rubber tape. It adds a certain hillbilly look to it if you look close.

It’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned in terms of doing what it’s supposed to do. It’s not fancy and my wife loves it so it ain’t going to a stranger.8
  • Hook 'Em 1

After looking again I think it is just the sun bleach of the lower lip that threw me off. Here's my 01 which has the same lip but slightly different color. It was very odd in 2000 when I bought the 2001. There were something like 3 or 4 different bumpers depending on the model of 4Runner. Full paint on limited, full paint on some sport models, or chrome, and options on fender flares. Bought mine specifically with the chrome bumper

image.thumb.jpeg.a60c33fece7f9123610832459f769be3.jpeg

Edited by AUinHsv

After looking again I think it is just the sun bleach of the lower lip that threw me off. Here's my 01 which has the same lip but slightly different color. It was very odd in 2000 when I bought the 2001. There were something like 3 or 4 different bumpers depending on the model of 4Runner. Full paint on limited, full paint on some sport models, or chrome, and options on fender flares. Bought mine specifically with the chrome bumper
image.thumb.jpeg.a60c33fece7f9123610832459f769be3.jpeg

Great looking 4Runner! Envious as that gray or the silver was what I wanted and I questioned the green a bit but it was too good a deal on a low mileage truck.

14 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Great looking 4Runner! Envious as that gray or the silver was what I wanted and I questioned the green a bit but it was too good a deal on a low mileage truck.

I really liked the color when I first saw it. Called Thundercloud. Only sold it in 01 and 02. For some reason people didn;t buy it as much as expected

I really liked the color when I first saw it. Called Thundercloud. Only sold it in 01 and 02. For some reason people didn;t buy it as much as expected

I was selling Toyotas in 86 and have been a big fan since. As much as I love their drivetrains they have had issues, until recently, with a lot of their color selections. That Thundercloud was a great color that some bean counter thought was too expensive or PPG raised the price. I think they only did that green of mine a few years too. I had a 97 4Runner in bright red that I don’t think they used after that.

• 2 weeks later...

I had just totaled my 4runner and messed up my back when I started looking for FJ's. Because of my back didn't really look too hard under it. I noticed a little rust but it didn't seem too bad. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I went under it to install a plug for the trailer. It was way worse than I remember it being when I got it. A few trips to the beach probably didn't help.

So I took it over to the body shop around the corner. His advice: paint it and sell it. Being that I'm not completely unethical I'm not planning on doing that, what would you do? Kinda leaning towards just driving it till the wheels literally fall off and replacing parts as they go. Looks like anywhere from 20-35k for a nice one, and I'm guessing I'll get 10-15 for this one, so it seems it would be cheaper to just sandblast/paint the bottom and replace the suspension parts as needed than spring for a newer/less rusty one.

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

I had just totaled my 4runner and messed up my back when I started looking for FJ's. Because of my back didn't really look too hard under it. I noticed a little rust but it didn't seem too bad. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I went under it to install a plug for the trailer. It was way worse than I remember it being when I got it. A few trips to the beach probably didn't help.

So I took it over to the body shop around the corner. His advice: paint it and sell it. Being that I'm not completely unethical I'm not planning on doing that, what would you do? Kinda leaning towards just driving it till the wheels literally fall off and replacing parts as they go. Looks like anywhere from 20-35k for a nice one, and I'm guessing I'll get 10-15 for this one, so it seems it would be cheaper to just sandblast/paint the bottom and replace the suspension parts as needed than spring for a newer/less rusty one.

How bad is the rust? That sounds structural almost, which would be really surprising for anything not out of the north. I vote (if not structural) wire wheel up the frame and put the 3M frame coat on it. I’ve had really good luck with that stuff. I use it to treat boat axles before they are ever dunked. I’ve had them look new for a decade. 3M is quality stuff. 

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

Make sure you don’t have a recall open on it.  Toyota was replacing frames at one time for rust issues.  I think it was on tacomas though.  

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

How bad is the rust? That sounds structural almost, which would be really surprising for anything not out of the north. I vote (if not structural) wire wheel up the frame and put the 3M frame coat on it. I’ve had really good luck with that stuff. I use it to treat boat axles before they are ever dunked. I’ve had them look new for a decade. 3M is quality stuff. 

It was originally from Canada. Something I found out not to long ago when I found a registration hidden in the sun visor. 
It was painted not too long before I got it. Big chunks of paint/rust are falling off the frame and other parts. 
There's a guy in the fj forums that has one in a similar condition. He's sandblasting and painting and it seems like it's working for him. There's also a oil based under spray that's supposed to be good but the closest place that does it is in Arkansas.

12 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

Make sure you don’t have a recall open on it.  Toyota was replacing frames at one time for rust issues.  I think it was on tacomas though.  

That closed a year or so ago and was tacomas, tundras and sequoias

1 minute ago, blacklab said:

It was originally from Canada. Something I found out not to long ago when I found a registration hidden in the sun visor. 
It was painted not too long before I got it. Big chunks of paint/rust are falling off the frame and other parts. 
There's a guy in the fj forums that has one in a similar condition. He's sandblasting and painting and it seems like it's working for him. There's also a oil based under spray that's supposed to be good but the closest place that does it is in Arkansas.

Normally a frame would have to get very thin to worry me on a non-heavy haul daily driver.  But FJ’s already had frame issues iirc.   I’d just continue to beat up the FJ forums and make your best call. I’d still check out that 3M stuff. It’s a rubbery compound as has been money for me on protection from saltwater on steel. 

20 hours ago, blacklab said:

don't paint it, but sell it and buy something else. 

fighting rust is a huge PITA