Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

FJ 2 

107DFCB1-5B7A-4C80-BB0E-1E134E626E16.jpeg.ef6f308b7a3940159ac0c7d0535d5145.jpeg

2012, 125k miles, wench, aftermarket bumpers, roof rack, subwoofer 

its lifted I think 6 inches, looks stupid with the current tires, need to lower or get bigger tires. 

hopefully this is the last truck I buy for a while. Going to get all the goodies I added out of old one and sell it. Daughter now wants the old one, don’t really want her driving the rust bucket. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, blacklab said:

FJ 2 

its lifted I think 6 inches, looks stupid with the current tires, need to lower or get bigger tires. 

hopefully this is the last truck I buy for a while. Going to get all the goodies I added out of old one and sell it. Daughter now wants the old one, don’t really want her driving the rust bucket. 

The Wench | Explore Meural's Permanent Art Collection | Digital Work

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, blacklab said:

FJ 2 

If it were me, I'd look for a set of black TRD take-off wheels and throw some 35s on there. 

I can't remember if you trailer your boat or keep it in a lift somewhere, but if you trailer it, how's the visibility out the back? I've heard there's a lot of blind spots on those things. 

That’s what I’m leaning towards. I have a set of black wheels on my old one that I’m planning to switch over.

Mobile mechanic guy who inspected the truck for me said it looked like they took the wheels/tires off the truck and sold them and put the cheapest shit they could find on there. All the other aftermarket stuff is high quality but the tires and rims are not. 

I trailer the boat and it’s a pain to back up, lots of blind spots. When the boat is on the trailer it’s not so bad, when the boat is off the trailer and I only can see the two guides at the back of the trailer it’s really bad as I can often only see one of them and get them mixed up and think I’m good when the trailer is heading off in one direction or another. 

I’ve been looking for a 1995-2005 f150/ram/Chevy 4x4 pickup to permanently attach the boat trailer to and there isn’t shit around right now and what there is is stupid expensive 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

That’s what I’m leaning towards. I have a set of black wheels on my old one that I’m planning to switch over.

Mobile mechanic guy who inspected the truck for me said it looked like they took the wheels/tires off the truck and sold them and put the cheapest shit they could find on there. All the other aftermarket stuff is high quality but the tires and rims are not. 

I trailer the boat and it’s a pain to back up, lots of blind spots. When the boat is on the trailer it’s not so bad, when the boat is off the trailer and I only can see the two guides at the back of the trailer it’s really bad as I can often only see one of them and get them mixed up and think I’m good when the trailer is heading off in one direction or another. 

I’ve been looking for a 1995-2005 f150/ram/Chevy 4x4 pickup to permanently attach the boat trailer to and there isn’t shit around right now and what there is is stupid expensive 

Is there a backup cam?  If not add one for the rig?

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

I have the same problem with my skiff trailer. I drive a mildly lifted Tundra, and I can't see the trailer at all out the back window if the boat's not on it. I finally got good at using the side mirrors to back it down. It's a little bit of a mind fuck at first, but go slow and it's not too bad. 

New one has a backup cam. Screen is in the rear view mirror and tiny, maybe 2"x2". I can't see shit in it. Should help with the trailer hitch though.

Yesterday when driving and getting in and out I was thinking to myself the lift doesn't add a whole lot, seems about the same.

Turns out my old one is jacked up 6 inches or so too, the new one just looks way different due to the custom wheel wells. Guy who had it before did all the cutting and fixing to put big tires in so I think I should be good with 35's.

fjs.thumb.jpg.eaa969f71e804b94bf64e71a5df2cabf.jpg

New tires look much better. Tiny bit of rubbing when backing up and making full turn. Whole series of shit at discount tire. Realized my spare rim is a different size than wheels, wheels are no longer made, tpms not working on tires on new truck, tpms from old truck wouldn’t sync with new truck. Speedometer is also off by around 10% now too.68441BA7-07F5-4EA6-A192-302A17572946.thumb.jpeg.455eb88553432d2eb97b9d2be4eb0888.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

On 7/21/2022 at 10:55 AM, blacklab said:

I have a 2004 F150 Crew Cab Lariat with about 280,000 miles on it that I bought new.  My nephew put a new engine in it for me a few years ago after my ex blew it up when she borrowed it.  I use it at the ranch and for towing and hauling shit.  It would be perfect for you, but I'm not about to sell it.

An alternative would be to dry-stack or wetslip it.  After 20+ years of towing, this is what I'm now doing.  It's obviously more expensive and you're limited to the same lake every outing, but it's really nice to be able to just run out to the dock, jump in the boat, and go.

No marinas anywhere close to us as we're kinda out of the way. There is a neighborhood owned park with a boat ramp less than a mile away. I had been thinking of looking for a marina then one day we were going down the lake and I saw a guy on a private dock behind a multi-million dollar house looking like a monkey fucking a football trying to get a couple of huge gas tanks to his boat and thought, backing up a trailer isn't so bad. 

• Haha 1

That is a perfect vehicle for them. I still have my 2001 version and it is bulletproof and fairly easy to work on. Only 2 or 3 failure points and those are easy to prevent with maintenance. The only issue that worries me isn;t an issue in Texas - rust.Toyota did well when they designed the 3rd gen.

Edited by AUinHsv

There’s a pretty slick looking ‘96 z71 2door tahoe for sale in Richmond in the Dumbasseswhoby2doortahoes group I’m in. I think he wanted $5500 I’ll see if I can find it

Maybe it's gas prices, but 4Runners and Tacomas cost almost as much as Landcruisers of similar vintage around here.  Early 2000s going for $8-12k.  Seems nuts to me.  Looking for a second car in that price range for my youngest who will be driving in 4 months.

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Maybe it's gas prices, but 4Runners and Tacomas cost almost as much as Landcruisers of similar vintage around here.  Early 2000s going for $8-12k.  Seems nuts to me.  Looking for a second car in that price range for my youngest who will be driving in 4 months.

I'm in the same boat, and the pricing is the same here in CenTex. Ragged out 4Runners with 250K miles and shit interiors going for $8K. 

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat, and the pricing is the same here in CenTex. Ragged out 4Runners with 250K miles and shit interiors going for $8K. 
Yeah, at this point I think I'm more likely to just buy another LC. If I'm gonna pay 10-12k for something with 200k+ miles, it will be the one that is designed to go 400k+.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2022 at 4:44 PM, CooterBrown said:

Thinking of buying an aftermarket fiberglass hardtop for my Bronco.

Am I crazy for liking the white? I kinda dig the retro look. None of my family likes the white.

It’s a big nut…$6K vs $900 for the OEM plastic top but it seems much better built.

5499391429d0223634ff7401fa704684.jpg

Ford hasn’t released the 2023 options yet, but there’s a heritage edition for some trims that I think may include white hard tops and a retro grill. 

The leaked exterior color options are mostly different, because my wife wanted to order the bright yellow/“orange” color and if the leak is correct, it is being replaced with a dijon mustard brownish yellow color. They are allegedly offering a powder blue though.

Just get an aftermarket backup camera or a portable trailering camera. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 9:12 PM, blacklab said:

Dude at the boat ramp: "Your FJ is fucking sick!"

It looks pretty badass in the pictures above.  And maybe it's just the boat ramps I end up using in the eastern block of our state, but stay away from those dudes at the boat ramp.  Nod, smile, and GTFO.

6 minutes ago, blacklab said:

haha, yes, public boat ramps have some weirdos. Luckily my hood has it's own private ramp so most of the people are just a little nuts, not full blown psychos.

Damned fine humblebrag, sir.  But private ramp or not, stay away from those loons.

Edited by dcbc

Ford coming out with Heritage and Heritage Limited editions on the Bronco for MY23.  The exterior styling is a nod to the 1st Gen Bronco.  Sounds like the interior will have a few retro-style accents as well.  I like the exterior look.  I also won't be surprised if we see some of these on the streets before I get my own 6th Gen, which was reserved TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO and ordered over 1.5 years ago.  Fuck you, Ford, for making me wait so long.

https://thebronconation.com/revealed-the-2023-ford-bronco-and-sport-heritage-editions-and-heritage-limited-editions/?fbclid=IwAR2xCNZfdHCaRSf2kE5XN533PYGOngMd4Sd6c2r07mHCjRoZpZFnoiGU8rU

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I also won't be surprised if we see some of these on the streets before I get my own 6th Gen, which was reserved TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO and ordered over 1.5 years ago.  Fuck you, Ford, for making me wait so long.

Look on the bright side, by the time yours is in production, they'll likely have worked out a lot of those first model-year kinks and snafus.

I like that white steel wheel look on the Bronco Heritage edition.

I don't like any version of the Bronco Sport, that is a really shitty looking micro-SUV.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Look on the bright side, by the time yours is in production, they'll likely have worked out a lot of those first model-year kinks and snafus.

That's what I told myself when I didn't get a MY21.  I didn't really mind waiting a year or so with the idea of getting a MY22 so that Ford could (as you say) work out the kinks.  I don't think I've ever purchased a vehicle from the first year of production of a particular model or generation, for that exact reason.  But now the wait is getting ridiculous and I find myself occasionally checking out 4Runners on CarGurus and Autotrader.  Things would be different if Ford could give me some kind of ballpark idea on when mine will be built, but neither the company nor the dealer can tell me jack shit in that regard.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

That's what I told myself when I didn't get a MY21.  I didn't really mind waiting a year or so with the idea of getting a MY22 so that Ford could (as you say) work out the kinks.  I don't think I've ever purchased a vehicle from the first year of production of a particular model or generation, for that exact reason.  But now the wait is getting ridiculous and I find myself occasionally checking out 4Runners on CarGurus and Autotrader.  Things would be different if Ford could give me some kind of ballpark idea on when mine will be built, but neither the company nor the dealer can tell me jack shit in that regard.  

I hear ya, I'd be frustrated too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 9:59 AM, Carl Spackler said:

Just got the word that my build is scheduled for Oct. 24, so at least the ball is starting to roll.  We'll see if things stay on schedule.  I won't be holding my breath . . .

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/10/2022 at 9:36 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Not mine, but saw this last month...

spacer.png

that guy (tech auto) always has stuff parked all over the street.  old porsches, mustangs, corvettes, SLAB candidates, scouts, broncos, trucks, etc.  moves a lot of it back inside the fence overnight.   a lot of it in not particularly good condition though. 

Edited by elfenix

Back before being discontinued, I got the last of the 200 series in the 'heritage edition' brand new. I have a lot of plans for it over time, but I'm going to need to raise the ceiling on my garage to accommodate a lift. 

Drives like a bank vault though.

Short term, I want to install rock sliders, a second gas tank, move spare to the rear, and likely a 2" lift with KO2s

IMG_6798.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

The Jiggy family truckster at Red River Gorge, Kentucky waiting for the snow to melt so we can do some climbing.

Built for beach camping and fishing.

Big enough to do almost anything. Too small to help friends move.

20180314_133322.jpg

Unfortunately, not too small to help move girlfriend's kids into dorms. [voice of experience, twice].

4 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Back before being discontinued, I got the last of the 200 series in the 'heritage edition' brand new. I have a lot of plans for it over time, but I'm going to need to raise the ceiling on my garage to accommodate a lift. 

Short term, I want to install rock sliders, a second gas tank, move spare to the rear, and likely a 2" lift with KO2s

IMG_6798.jpg

Congrats, I have a '21 non-HE.  I'm never selling it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/14/2022 at 3:16 PM, ChickenNuggets said:

IMG_6798.jpg

Are you in Austin? Saw one just like it at HEB in NW Hills today. Beautiful, congrats. Parked nearby in my lowly 2013 LC that I am also never selling.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 7:32 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Just got the word that my build is scheduled for Oct. 24, so at least the ball is starting to roll.  We'll see if things stay on schedule.  I won't be holding my breath . . .

Got word mine is a rollover to 2023. Order bank opens Thursday to edit, waiting to see if there is anything interesting to consider. Really need to just cancel it, but I’ll probably ride it out.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Brew said:

Got word mine is a rollover to 2023. Order bank opens Thursday to edit, waiting to see if there is anything interesting to consider. Really need to just cancel it, but I’ll probably ride it out.

I really thought I was going to be in the same boat as you.  I was looking pretty heavy at 4Runners the last several weeks, but I was thinking that even if I bought a Toyota I would keep the Bronco reservation and then just flip it or sell it back to the dealer when it was finally built.  Either that or sell the 4Runner if I liked the Bronco more.  My patience was just about at an end before getting the email with the projected build date.  Now I'm looking at different potential mods for the Bronco . . .    

• 2 weeks later...

So fill out the estimator for carvana and they offer $13.5k for the rust bucket. Take it to carmax and they offer $14k. They mention the low price due to bump in roof and missing headrests on back seat, no mention of rust. Fill out the form at car gurus and they don’t make an offer. 

Based on watching Craigslist I was planning on asking $18k and see what happens. 

then I got an email from Toyota of cedar park saying they want the FJ. I’m guessing they got my info from car gurus. Go up there and in about 10 minutes they walk out with a check for $18k. They tell me the price is low based on the bump on roof and I need to bring in the headrests or they will lower it based on what they can get them on eBay. No mention of the rust. 

Dropped off the truck on Tuesday, get check in mail Friday, dropped off the headrests today, can’t wait to see what they list it for. 

On 9/16/2022 at 6:50 PM, Carl Spackler said:

I really thought I was going to be in the same boat as you.  I was looking pretty heavy at 4Runners the last several weeks, but I was thinking that even if I bought a Toyota I would keep the Bronco reservation and then just flip it or sell it back to the dealer when it was finally built.  Either that or sell the 4Runner if I liked the Bronco more.  My patience was just about at an end before getting the email with the projected build date.  Now I'm looking at different potential mods for the Bronco . . .    

No change in options in the early order bank for ‘23, so just rolled it forward. Dealer thinks it should get built by Christmas. Stupid part is the hard top has been the main issue. I don’t want a hardtop, but you can’t opt out in the 2 door for some dumbass reason. Been looking at old ones now. May double down on stupid and see if I can find one that interests me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 5:32 PM, Carl Spackler said:

What a shock -- build date now pushed to the week of Nov. 7.  The delay continues . . .

• Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...

Xposting from cyhm forum…. 

guess who gets to limp mode their 4Runner into the shop tomorrow morning with a knock sensor code? This effin guy. Apparently Toyota hates Americans and put these fuckers 20,000 leagues beneath the sea in the engine so labor is 20 hrs per dealership assuming it’s a full shit show. At this point my only hope is a rat chewed the wiring with my comprehensive covg. 

On 10/30/2022 at 3:37 PM, bluto said:

Xposting from cyhm forum…. 

guess who gets to limp mode their 4Runner into the shop tomorrow morning with a knock sensor code? This effin guy. Apparently Toyota hates Americans and put these fuckers 20,000 leagues beneath the sea in the engine so labor is 20 hrs per dealership assuming it’s a full shit show. At this point my only hope is a rat chewed the wiring with my comprehensive covg. 

Are they not in the valley under the intake manifold?   I used to lose them quite often in my LS truck because of washing the motor off.  Water could collect on top of them and fuck them up.  I became proficient at changing them before I figured out how I was fucking them up. If you're comfortable with removing the intake, it wasn't terrible.