Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

37 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Are they not in the valley under the intake manifold?   I used to lose them quite often in my LS truck because of washing the motor off.  Water could collect on top of them and fuck them up.  I became proficient at changing them before I figured out how I was fucking them up. If you're comfortable with removing the intake, it wasn't terrible. 

Generally speaking that’s accurate. I think the complicating factor is there’s a coolant pipe that runs directly over them that can complicate shit. 

In case you’re not following my saga on cyhm board…. Firestone changed battery thinking it was shorting the sensor, I did notice some issues on starting recently too plus original battery 5 yrs old. That fixed it to where it’s not in limp mode but the light is still on so there’s no knock but the sensor is bad. Or some shit. 

tech there pulled the book and saw 19 hours of labor and said bullshit, I can just charge you for 5. So gonna go through with it all changing both knock sensors, oil change, and flush coolant at same time. $1500 all in + $330 for the initial diag and battery. Hopefully keeps it upright for 5 more yrs

Waiting for my white hardtop from ADV Fiberglass, hopefully January. Then I can rest on this thing. 

Edit: Plan is to also paint the brush guard and front bumper white. Poor man’s version of the white grille. But for what it’s worth I put this thing together before Ford came out with the Heritage edition. And mine will look much better than the stock Heritage edition IMO. 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, blacklab said:

Yeah, I think I like buying tools to do the work more than actually doing the work. 

For the transfer and diif make sure you check what the plugs are and have the right tools. On my 01 4Runner the front diff has a screwy hex plug. You use a hex wrench adapter and it's an absolute pain. No clue what the idiot engineer was thinking except all the other plugs use a socket so I have to choose something totally different. You can't any leverage unless you get it off the ground. Breaker bar just hits the ground or is lost in the frame.  And of course make sure you can get the fill plug out before pulling the drain plug :) Only forgot that once and it took a lot of work to fix

Got about as much as I expected done. 

• get the rear camera going to the stereo 
  • add usb ports in the back seat for the kiddos
  • change the oil
  • replace a headlamp that went out
  • replace the diff and xfer case fluid

Front diff fluid was a pain in the ass. Had to remove two shields and pump the fluid in. Will do the oil this weekend. Going to take it to someone smarter than me for the camera. 

I didn’t know Toyotas had spark plugs. 2 Tacomas and one 4runner and I have never replaced a one.

On another note, I love this 4runner….but goddamn it, the 4WD shifter recently started to rattle at different speeds. Driving me nuts. I have tightened down as hard as possible. Next is removing the cap and gluing it down (not sure if that is the fix). Anyone have this and a solution?

On 11/9/2022 at 8:42 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I didn’t know Toyotas had spark plugs. 2 Tacomas and one 4runner and I have never replaced a one.

On another note, I love this 4runner….but goddamn it, the 4WD shifter recently started to rattle at different speeds. Driving me nuts. I have tightened down as hard as possible. Next is removing the cap and gluing it down (not sure if that is the fix). Anyone have this and a solution?

Interestingly enough, the 2nd Gen Taco I had called for Spark plug changes at some stupid low interval. I wanna say less than 50k miles. I did it at 87, and it was an hour job. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I am advised the Bronco is built and expected to be at the dealer between Dec. 13 and 21.  Which means it'll be sometime next year.

Got my build notice for late January. Got the same time frame for my F250 last year and ended up picking it up the first of June. Hopefully, this one comes a little sooner.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
Waiting for my white hardtop from ADV Fiberglass, hopefully January. Then I can rest on this thing. 
Edit: Plan is to also paint the brush guard and front bumper white. Poor man’s version of the white grille. But for what it’s worth I put this thing together before Ford came out with the Heritage edition. And mine will look much better than the stock Heritage edition IMO. 

Post a review when you get the hard top. I’ll probably order one in the spring.

3 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Non-squatch Badlands, correct? Love it.

You are correct, sir.  I don't plan on doing serious rock-crawling, so I decided I didn't need the Sasquatch package.  Badlands trim still gives me front and rear lockers, disco swaybar, KO2's, and a better suspension than most of the other trims, so it has about all the off-road capability I think I'll need.     

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

You are correct, sir.  I don't plan on doing serious rock-crawling, so I decided I didn't need the Sasquatch package.  Badlands trim still gives me front and rear lockers, disco swaybar, KO2's, and a better suspension than most of the other trims, so it has about all the off-road capability I think I'll need.     

No worries-- if you wanted to do SERIOUS rock-crawling you'd get something with a solid axle rather than IFS, anyway. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So, my 2006 Cruiser took a tree limb right through the sunroof and is totaled.

Been considering getting 2016/17 Cruiser and just driving til one of us expires.

But then looking at the new sequoia and it looks pretty sweet, TRD in particular.

Anyone driven (or own) one? Thoughts?

I love our 2021 Landcruiser. I'm keeping it forever. Have not driven the new Sequoia.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 8:25 AM, smuggs said:

Two Suzuki Jimnys Westbound I-10 in Baytown. Headed to Mexico I guess? They're not for sale in the US or Canada.

jimny1.jpg

jimny2.jpg

I've seen a bunch all over Mexico. They don't meet US emissions/standards so not for sale here. You can always buy one and drive it back to Texas.

I have a friend that did that with a Toyota Hilux 3 years ago. If he gets pulled over, he just shows them his Mexican license and they give him a warning.

Went to Tahoe last week to ski. While standing at the little office in the parking garage an employee pulled up in a 4runner.

Lady asked me if I wanted the 4runner or ... and I cut her off and said 4runner.

It was absolutely the best thing I have ever driven in the snow/ice. Never a hint of spinning wheels or getting squirlley. On the way down the hill one night I was behind a jeep and keeping 50 or so feet behind it. The jeep and the car ahead of it both started fishtailing as they were approaching a corner. I softly applied the breaks and the ABS kicked in and we stayed in a strait line. The car behind me started fishtailing and ended up in the snowbank across the road, missing me by inches.

Another time we were going up the hill and behind a small car with chains. Dumbass driver slowed down too much going up the hill and started spinning his tires. He ended up having to turn around. I had no issues starting from a dead stop and easily made it up the hill.

I now know what I'm going to get if we move up there and the FJ kicks the bucket. Also curious how much of the tech in the 2023 4runner is different than a 2012 FJ. I know toyota slow rolls a lot of stuff. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 9:07 PM, blacklab said:

Went to Tahoe last week to ski. While standing at the little office in the parking garage an employee pulled up in a 4runner.

Lady asked me if I wanted the 4runner or ... and I cut her off and said 4runner.

It was absolutely the best thing I have ever driven in the snow/ice. Never a hint of spinning wheels or getting squirlley. On the way down the hill one night I was behind a jeep and keeping 50 or so feet behind it. The jeep and the car ahead of it both started fishtailing as they were approaching a corner. I softly applied the breaks and the ABS kicked in and we stayed in a strait line. The car behind me started fishtailing and ended up in the snowbank across the road, missing me by inches.

Another time we were going up the hill and behind a small car with chains. Dumbass driver slowed down too much going up the hill and started spinning his tires. He ended up having to turn around. I had no issues starting from a dead stop and easily made it up the hill.

I now know what I'm going to get if we move up there and the FJ kicks the bucket. Also curious how much of the tech in the 2023 4runner is different than a 2012 FJ. I know toyota slow rolls a lot of stuff. 

I guess they fixed the traction control software. I had one as  rental about ten years ago and it would not move from a flat parking space. My 01 was a big improvement over the early 3Gen's. Someone on the forum described traction control as "Toyota decided they wanted to kill every driver of 4Runner so they added traction control and ABS"

On 1/10/2023 at 9:07 PM, blacklab said:

50821326048_fc758f332a_b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

First pic is the day I got her. Drove it almost an hour home and could tell it was going to be a project. Way too much play in the steering wheel, entire suspension was shot as it rode like a boat, and it stumbled pretty noticeably when at a stop.

c250f14f29fc52cfe016b04056f14a12.jpg

This was the old girl getting new pads, rotors, grill and lights.?
2019c1d1c2211734fd295cc809f67dbd.jpg

f177b3cfabad4ee3d2538ffdc0f8883e.jpg

Bought an unpainted grill and new headlamps because the old stuff was stock and absolute crap. When I took the old grill off I discovered the core support was beat to shit from a previous accident. She sat just like that for about two years. Over the last 6-8 months I’ve been working on removing the DIY rhino liner the previous owner put on because it’s absolute trash. Finally got it all removed this week. New hood should be here next week, and once that arrives I can send her to paint and body. And FYI, if you’re trying to find a decent paint and body shop good fuckin luck. Everyone close to me is so stacked up with insurance claims that they wouldn’t even talk to me about my truck. So I called in a couple favors and I’ve got to take it 2+ hours away.

• Hook 'Em 2