Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

Changed the oil on the FJ today.

Great job by the toyota engineers.

Go from:

• unscrew one plastic thing
  • rub a little oil on the new one
  • screw it on

To:

• take off rock shield
  • take off little metal flat piece
  • shove plastic piece in to housing and spray oil everywhere
  • get special tool and take off housing and spray oil everywhere
  • drain and clean housing
  • replace gasket on housing
  • put filter in housing
  • screw housing in
  • replace gasket on outside of housing
  • put metal piece back in place
  • replace rock shield

• Like 1

Go from:
  • screw it on
To:
  • take off rock shield
  • put filter in housing
  • screw housing in
  • replace rock shield

It really is my least favorite part of the damn vehicle.

Can also add to that: have rock shield bolts previously over tightened before your ownership that cause them to strip out. Part is not replaceable since it’s part of the core support, so I had to drill and tap. Went ahead and did all 4 so I have new threads and same bolt size on all of them. Stupid. I might actually get this just so I don’t ever have to touch it again.

https://rcimetalworks.com/product/10-19-4runner-front-skid-plate/

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

We have been on the Bronco waiting list for 18 months and still haven’t put the order into the banks yet, and Ford discontinued the color my wife wanted (school bus yellow ‘cyber orange’) so we were SOL. Then bless this old lady’s soul who ordered a cyber orange, hard top, Outer Banks with the big engine and leather seats from a small town dealership, then backed out as soon as she tried to drive it. We jumped on that shit last week and somehow only paid $2k over sticker (the dealers in Houston are still asking for $15-20k over sticker if they get any in stock).

image.thumb.jpeg.08c4784bda6f38e8cb7ef969d557aafe.jpeg

9EB64C6A-FB8D-4BD8-8795-557ABDB16E65.jpeg

Congrats!  Great looking ride.  That was the color I had in my original build.  When they rolled my MY21 order over to MY22, I was allowed to make changes to the build if I wanted.  Starting in MY22, Ford offered eruption green as a color option, which I liked about as well as cyber orange.  The difference was that Ford wanted an extra $500 (or was it $600?) for the cyber orange, but the green wouldn't cost anything extra.  So because I liked the two colors about equally, I switched to green to save a few bucks.  I've gotten several compliments on the green and I don't regret making the switch, but I still like that cyber orange a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Build taking place this week, should have my 2 door Bronco in the next couple of weeks. Popped up in my Ford Pass app today ready to activate. Ordered it 18 months ago to be an extra vehicle to use at the lake/beach instead of a Jeep, looks like it is going to be the daily driver for a little while.

On 1/18/2023 at 6:27 PM, blacklab said:

Go from:

• screw it on

To:

• take off rock shield
  • put filter in housing
  • screw housing in
  • replace rock shield

You forgot the important step - the plastic housing breaks in half.. I have a spare on the shelf for that reason :)

50 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Installed a light bar on the front and back this weekend. 

with high beams on:

A5C89C51-8BDF-4038-A200-85586FABA578.thumb.jpeg.eee2bdf239b73e65152601458ca6f642.jpeg

light bar on:

CDED35F3-1206-42DB-88FF-84C18EE28252.thumb.jpeg.b8bdacdbe0b2e85949b1d7f539a0ec25.jpeg

Main reason for install is for when someone coming the other way flashes their brights at me thinking I have my brights on. Gonna blind that mother fucker. 

And they give us F350 drivers grief.  

• Haha 1

Brr.

PXL_20230201_180014021_3.thumb.jpg.16c27c9b36d3b8188bc3d9d59da86bb1.jpg

I know the Limited doesn't quite fit into the spirit of the thread, but considering the used Toyota market right now, I was not going to turn a good deal down.  My younger one will be driving it, and he's not as into truck stuff as his older brother (TRD Taco is upthread somewhere).

As somebody who's not a big car guy, I'm happy for now with everything but the shitty stock Bridgestone tires, which fortunately are due to be replaced.  I've been through the tires thread, but thought I'd ask here for any advice on a couple of options I'm thinking about:

1)  Keep the stock 20" Limited wheels, but change sizes.  The OEM size is 245/60/20, which has pretty limited options.  I've been looking on some 4runner forums, and it seems like you can go to 275/55/20 without having to make any mods.  There are a lot more options in that size, and I like the idea of a wider tire unless there's something I'm missing with that (there's a lot of conflicting info out there, and I'm assuming DT won't balk at installing them).  Would probably put Michelin Defenders on for the current use case, but there are lots of options in the future (we're probably sending the older one to Colorado for college, and he has the Toyo Open Countrys the tire thread mafia likes for up there).

2)  Swap out for a set of 17" TRD wheels.  That opens up a lot more availability in both 265 and 275 sizes.  It looks like that will run about $1k to make the change (is BAM wholesale legit?), but assuming this vehicle is going to be kept for 200k+ miles, it's a drop in the bucket.  It's a little less of a grandma look, and I'd guess that if he ends up wanting to make other mods in the future it's a good starting point.  I can always keep the 20" wheels around.

Any thoughts/experiences/recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty soon I will get some new shoes for my 4runner. I am running the stock TRD Off-road Tim (17x7.5 I think). Currently have the shitty tires it came with, but will be getting some Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Was thinking 275/70R17. Is that the widest I can go for those rims? My younger brother is running 265/70/R16 on his Tacoma and they look good and wide enough.

The 17" TRD wheels just arrived today, so I'm in a similar spot.

I found this on a 4runner forum and it seems to be quoted often enough to be reliable:

upload_2020-7-10_6-8-25-jpg.46579

@Patricio Swayze, looks like the 275s should fit fine.  I'm looking at Toyo AT3s in either 265 or 275, which are pretty much the same price.  Any big advantage/disadvantage to one more centimeter?

(twss)

• Like 1

The 17" TRD wheels just arrived today, so I'm in a similar spot.

I found this on a 4runner forum and it seems to be quoted often enough to be reliable:

upload_2020-7-10_6-8-25-jpg.46579

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention], looks like the 275s should fit fine.  I'm looking at Toyo AT3s in either 265 or 275, which are pretty much the same price.  Any big advantage/disadvantage to one more centimeter?

(twss)

I found something similar on another Toyota site. Kind of why I figured 275/70 is the way to go because there would be no rubbing. If I end up doing a very small lift, then I will look at tires again.

image.thumb.jpeg.894a3f2638403a6556e6f033b816899e.jpeg

got a bluetooth odb reader and a 7 inch android tablet off amazon, installed torque pro and now I have coolant and transmission temps going on the dash. Mainly wanted to see what the transmission temperature was at when towing the boat. Went to the beach this weekend and the transmission hovered around 200 on the highway which made me think I should do it no matter what the boat does. Plan on taking the boat out tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

New shoes! Nitto Ridge Grapplers 275/70/R17. Should be the widest without rubbing. Maybe later this year I will do that very modest lift/suspension swap. Also maybe later this year I will wash it too. Damn pine tree next to my driveway and all the dirt/gravel roads I drive on just make me not want to waste my time.

03e7a5b3ad2571c255f747ef0c1380fc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota posted this today, along with another teaser last week. The Tacoma bros say the license plate is the release date of the new 4th Gen Tacoma and the blurry truck in the background is it.  And a nod to the Brazilian Patent office that allegedly leaked some renderings of it a while back. 

41C1E78F-A355-40C1-8733-413E9D431875.thumb.jpeg.c3cf7ef564e6cf0b10c7c0d55ab1a3e7.jpeg

8973C27B-1954-47DE-A842-DEAEEBFD3C3B.thumb.jpeg.66b504d2ce07315ee984479ec8a26cab.jpeg

E1F16CD0-2B89-44CD-830B-C6E86FB8D996.thumb.jpeg.16f37d64dc9df7b5c4872da82d84761d.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new Tacoma was shown yesterday. Highlights include a hybrid engine with 326hp and 465lb-ft torque.  Available Old Man Emu suspension on the Trailhunter rig, reservoir shocks on models as low as the Off Road, an electronically disconnectable sway bar, rear lockers, 2400 watt inverter in the bed, air compressor built into the bed walls, console safe, 360° camera views, lane keep assist and all the other modern safety features they’d been lagging on, and a whole host of ARB bumpers and gizmos for the bros.  Interior is highly updated, exterior not too different.  A bit jagged and anglely for my taste but I’ll take it.  Lots of YouTube’s out there with the finer details.

Long bed still available on most models, manual transmission still available on a few.  Most models available late this year, hybrids available early 2024.  No prices or mpg estimates yet.  I’ll probably be in on a mid-tier long bed Off Road model.  Timing should work out well for when my youngest starts driving and takes my current ride.  

F1DC5767-05D2-4975-A13E-B47DE440E64C.thumb.png.378f1a334afabe167de8417af333efaf.png

BF17A617-13E2-4354-89C7-CD8700CC3752.thumb.jpeg.699b812878b3d7c2540ffdfd825b8208.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Well, my son hit a deer last night in his Taco.  Thankfully, he's fine, but the bumper is toast, the grille is cracked, and there's damage to a quarter panel and the hood.

Since I'm going to be putting money into it anyway, does anyone have any recommended brands to look at for aftermarket bumpers and stuff?  He's taking it to school in Colorado this fall, so I thought we should at least price something that he can make updates to over time, add a winch, etc.

Assume I know nothing about this stuff.

2 hours ago, Damor said:

Well, my son hit a deer last night in his Taco.  Thankfully, he's fine, but the bumper is toast, the grille is cracked, and there's damage to a quarter panel and the hood.

Since I'm going to be putting money into it anyway, does anyone have any recommended brands to look at for aftermarket bumpers and stuff?  He's taking it to school in Colorado this fall, so I thought we should at least price something that he can make updates to over time, add a winch, etc.

I don’t know anything about it but I think this what a lot of folks use.

https://arbusa.com/toyota-tundra-2014-2018/bumpers-protection-equipment/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/21/2023 at 2:04 PM, Damor said:

There are a ton of offroad fab shops that specialize in Toyotas throughout the entire state of Colorado. I believe they all ship as well if you cant wait. Just google colorado offroad shop in the area he's going to school and you will more than likely find one close especially if it's in the northern part.

• Hook 'Em 1

After sitting for over a year new to me motor installed in the mini truck. Had the motor shipped from a junk yard in Washington. Was machined and bored in Dallas then installed at my buddy's garage in Lockhart. Body work is all thats left

IMG-3791.jpg

70450544407--8D162E93-D341-4F71-9596-B9B910B34969.jpg

70430306305--832874D1-A2D9-4AB9-8AFE-FEA94CC32DEE.jpg

70450510440--598EF22C-4299-4AD5-8E8C-08B99C4D84F4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting here at the dealership getting the oil changed. 47k miles in less than 2 years. Very much still loving the 4Runner. I was down in the 5th Ward earlier doing some photography and looked back at my car and thought, that’s a nice looking vehicle. So snapped a quick shot while waiting on a train to pass. Still have the stupid predator steps because my little girls use them. Still considering a very modest left/level. But I have some other priorities ahead.

2c14c12eb20a8979ab684d681032c50a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I would prefer a Land Cruiser more like the old FJ version, the kind used in Africa by warlords with 50 Cal’s mounted on them.

Looks like we’ll get a rebadged Lexus car based chassis.

Well, the Lexus GX has always been a rebadged Toyota (Land Cruiser Prado), so we are getting pretty meta here. But the Prado is a BoF chassis (FJ Cruiser is also built on it).

All that said, it’ll just be on TNGA-F like every other new Toyota.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I would prefer a Land Cruiser more like the old FJ version, the kind used in Africa by warlords with 50 Cal’s mounted on them.

Looks like we’ll get a rebadged Lexus car based chassis.

The article speculates that it will be body-on-frame, and I agree with Anton Chigurh that it will almost certainly be on the -F platform.  We'll know soon enough.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 4:27 PM, SDG said:

Looks like my old 4Runner fought off the thief and he/she gave up.  I hate criminals…

BB572920-9887-4617-9B30-87683E6E9625.thumb.jpeg.fd617df7627f7cd8fb8d7267dff16f71.jpeg

F95C6442-7DF0-4A08-B33F-E9E6FBB55382.thumb.jpeg.85fbf7959f2e0a99c2ea8df10c78ed15.jpegB5CBCF02-74F8-4A32-B7AF-F5CC234FC39D.thumb.jpeg.9d2da81baca061748442f9d3e388583f.jpegC46EFD70-849F-4D7D-A099-1607EB5B6551.thumb.jpeg.5351adea8433c1edc51a24bd5563919e.jpeg

5BD13069-DA1E-4DBD-98FE-8E60444D32EF.jpeg

My gen 3 rides again.  

The insurance jerked me around for a few months and it ended up costing them dearly. 

I was very clear about the damage and researched the cost I even found a local shop (at the insurance request) and they towed the car to it.  The first estimator, the shop, and I all agreed on what needed done.   

I did not want a branded tittle for a door lock or ignition switch (no other damage) so the insurance sent me a no adjuster claim link to fill out with pictures, liability, etc.  I filled and submitted everything.  

The car sat there for nearly 2 months and no movement from insurance.  The shop guy started calling me which made me the middle man…

The insurance then totaled my car because the cost…

They clearly didn’t listen.  So i asked them to produce the rationale and that’s when clarity ensued.  

They used an estimate of cost for things that could “possibly” be required and then valued my car as a 2 wheel drive.  

They wanted to cut me a check for 4k$.  I refused and hired an attorney/estimator.

They ended up paying the shop $5500, me $4900, and my attorney fees just because they were too stupid to pay the $2000 to fix it.  I also won on the branded title claim.

They would have had pay me replacement cost ($14k) plus all the third parties when they could have just fixed the damn car…

Btw. As of today, it’s now fixed and it cost me about $1200

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3