Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90

Gil Bang

Not to defend lawyers, but they are simply more likely to run for public office than science-types.  And a lot of politicians are "manufactured" lawyers in that they get law degrees after commencing their political careers, or solely for the purpose of "credentials" for a political career.
Science-types tend to prefer the precision and efficiency of their fields over the vague, imprecise, and "corrupted" (meaning taking into account too many factors other than the goal and direct process of legislation) field of lawmaking and politics.

Example 1: Kayleigh McEnany. Graduates Harvard law, goes to work at Fox news. Never bothers to take the bar.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Not to defend lawyers (because nobody should under any circumstances do that), but the doctors that are in Congress mostly suck ass too. 

I generally agree that fewer lawyers in Congress would be good (so long as the non-lawyers had good lawyers on their staff that could advise them on how not to royally fuck up drafting legislation), but the bigger problem is that the American electorate doesn't value the right things in its elected officials. The problem with Gym Jordan/Louis Gohmert/Matt Gaetz/etc. being in Congress is that enough people in their districts saw them and said "yeah, that's what I want in an elected official!" It's why Ted Cruz has turned into a weird little twitter troll. They've turned politics into professional wrestling and a ton of Americans absolutely love it.

Congress has the weird contradictions in that the public gives them a 10-20% approval rating BUT they have a high incumbent win rate. I get one represents the entire body and the other an individual, but there should be some level of correlation. People can be stupid.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Congress has the weird contradictions in that the public gives them a 10-20% approval rating BUT they have a high incumbent win rate. I get one represents the entire body and the other an individual, but there should be some level of correlation. People can be stupid.

“I hate Congress but I love my representative!” - average idiot voter who hates Pelosi, AOC, etc. but votes to re-elect Sheila Jackson Lee or Dan Crenshaw 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Congressmen for the most part fit their districts, which is why the get elected. Gerrymandered or natural minority not withstanding. What people mean when they disapprove of Congress is the other elected officials that don’t think like them or their rep- but those reps think like their own district majority. 

it’s a selfish thought pattern to want everyone’s rep to think like you and yours, so that the things you want will happen.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

“I hate Congress but I love my representative!” - average idiot voter who hates Pelosi, AOC, etc. but votes to re-elect Sheila Jackson Lee or Dan Crenshaw 

Don't talk bad about my rep, SJL!

But it's a great point. I often vote Dem, but either vote against SJL or stay away from the race. Besides frequent embarrassing remarks or behavior, I really can't tell what SJL does in Congress.  

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Congressmen for the most part fit their districts, which is why the get elected. Gerrymandered or natural minority not withstanding. What people mean when they disapprove of Congress is the other elected officials that don’t think like them or their rep- but those reps think like their own district majority. 

it’s a selfish thought pattern to want everyone’s rep to think like you and yours, so that the things you want will happen.  

Or at least they know how to pander to their district.  Most voters, which includes me at times, haven't the foggiest notion what their reps' and senators' voting records are.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Or at least they know how to pander to their district.  Most voters, which includes me at times, haven't the foggiest notion what their reps' and senators' voting records are.

Exactly. There’s 435 members of the House and 100 Senators and the average voter’s opinion of Congress is solely based on a handful like AOC, Pelosi, Crenshaw, McConnell, Cruz, Warren, etc. 80% of this country probably cannot name their Rep and maybe knows 1 of their Senators. 

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

not sure i agree with that.  i love congress, but hate my representative.  i havent had a representative (meaning someone that represents me, and my views) since they gerrymandered lloyd doggett out.  it's been mike mccaul and bill flores ever since.

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Exactly. There’s 435 members of the House and 100 Senators and the average voter’s opinion of Congress is solely based on a handful like AOC, Pelosi, Crenshaw, McConnell, Cruz, Warren, etc. 80% of this country probably cannot name their Rep and maybe knows 1 of their Senators. 

And also things they think their congressman doesn't do, like vote for big business interests almost exclusively:  "that danged ol congress is in the bag for big bidness, but not my boy/gal! [wrongo, Mary Lou]"

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Rumors today going strong out here that Feinstein will step down after the GA runoff and Newsome will replace her with Schiff. 

fwiw

I read he’s not running for leadership bc he’s preparing for an open seat. But maybe it’s bc he think he’ll be in the incumbent 

• Like 1

Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California was poised to become president pro tempore of the Senate, according to long-standing Senate tradition.

As a result of her new status as the longest-serving Democratic senator, the 89-year-old lawmaker would have been third in line to the presidency, behind the vice president and House Speaker.

But Feinstein — who will also be the chamber's oldest currently-serving member come January — issued a statement to the Washington Post last month saying that she's not interested in running for and serving as president pro tempore of the Senate.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer will instead nominate the 72-year-old Democratic Sen. Patty Murray of Washington — the next most senior Democratic senator, having been elected just two months after Feinstein — to the position, a source familiar with the discussions told Insider on Wednesday.

Yet when Feinstein was asked by Insider at the Capitol on Tuesday about the potential of taking on the job — she would be the first woman in American history to hold the position — the California Democrat insisted that she hadn't thought about it.

"Well, I haven't thought about it, but I'll let you know when I do," said Feinstein, who was first elected in 1992. "I just got back, I've had a lot of issues."

An aide walking with the senator quickly interjected, telling Insider that Feinstein had "told a few reporters in the past that she's not thought about it, and has no intention of seeking the position."

"That's what you've told reporters," the aide said to Feinstein.

"I don't know what you're saying," she replied.

"This is about the Senate pro tem position," he said.

"Well, I haven't said anything about it, that I know of," she insisted.

"You were asked about it over the break, and you put out a statement saying that you had no intention of running for it," he said, apparently referencing the statement given to the Post.

"Okay, well then, I guess it's out," she conceded.

59 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Rumors today going strong out here that Feinstein will step down after the GA runoff and Newsome will replace her with Schiff. 

fwiw

I would be shocked if Newsom didn’t replace Feinstein with a woman. Especially after replacing Kamala with Padilla.

I like Schiff (I live in his district) but the pressure to appoint a woman would be too high IMO.

3 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

I would be shocked if Newsom didn’t replace Feinstein with a woman. Especially after replacing Kamala with Padilla.

I like Schiff (I live in his district) but the pressure to appoint a woman would be too high IMO.

I disagree.  Boxer and Feinstein had a death grip on the the 2 senate seats for so long, there's no pressure to appoint a woman just for optics.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

well, yeah, but what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

Cornyn and Cruz trying to be Boxer/Feinstein. Cornyn will eventually retire at a normal time. Cruz will be there until he’s a vegetable or president. 

We live in constantly hyper-charged political times:  OMG, if we don’t keep [Grassley, Feinstein, insert dinosaur here] in a senate seat  then we lose power and get rat-fucked.  In reality, either are just fuckers showing up at restaurant, ordering massive amounts of appetizers for the entire table and then shuffling off long before the bill comes due. They dead, we are paying the bill.  If we could just slow down and consider age and term limit issues in a ‘normal’ time, I think we end up with better representation [ignoring fact that dark money will never allow that and will dump $100M+ into any open senate seat].  We can’t depressurize the system and rewrite the rules, but it sure would be cool if we did.  

If she retires early, I don't really see a prominent NorCal black woman to appoint to the seat for Newsome, besides London Breed.  Barbara Lee is an option, but she's 70-something and would just be holding that seat until like 2030, if she made it through a 2024 jungle primary. 

With Harris gone since January 2021, and both Beasley and Demings losing, the pressure will be even greater on Newsome to appoint a black woman.  A very prominent voice/perspective still missing from the Senate. 

A potential 2024 primary would be nuts.  Porter, Khanna (who would support Lee if appointed), Lee, Schiff. Breed may just run in the primary if she wasn't appointed.

I really want Katie Porter, she'd be 50 in 2024 and would hold that seat for 20-30 years unless and until she goes for higher ambition (POTUS/VP). 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If she retires early, I don't really see a prominent NorCal black woman to appoint to the seat for Newsome, besides London Breed.  Barbara Lee is an option, but she's 70-something and would just be holding that seat until like 2030, if she made it through a 2024 jungle primary. 

With Harris gone since January 2021, and both Beasley and Demings losing, the pressure will be even greater on Newsome to appoint a black woman.  A very prominent voice/perspective still missing from the Senate. 

A potential 2024 primary would be nuts.  Porter, Khanna (who would support Lee if appointed), Lee, Schiff. Breed may just run in the primary if she wasn't appointed.

I really want Katie Porter, she'd be 50 in 2024 and would hold that seat for 20-30 years unless and until she goes for higher ambition (POTUS/VP). 

Odd that Porter would evidently have an easier path in a senate race than she does in her own district. I didn't know (ignorance on my part) she would even be in the senate discussion. She would be a lion in the senate.

Thanks for your observations the last few weeks. I wasn't aware of just how good you are at this stuff.

As mentioned above, Newsom promised the seat to an African American woman during his recall election. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gavin-newsom-dianne-feinstein-california/

Personally, I am not a huge Schiff fan because he is so polarized after his work on impeachment. I love Porter, but her seat is not a blue lock.

Ro Khanna is in a safe blue NorCal seat (South Bay/Silicone Valley). And, like Alex Padilla, has a relatively low profile that makes him more difficult to target in a State with the largest number of MAGAt voters. Schiff is an easy target for the MAGAt machine in California. 

I would love for Kamala to return to the Senate, but I cannot see her giving up the VP role and front runner slot to replace Biden when it is “her turn” in line  

It is time for DiFi to step aside and has been for some time.  Her staff has done a great job navigating the limitations.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

As mentioned above, Newsom promised the seat to an African American woman during his recall election. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gavin-newsom-dianne-feinstein-california/

Personally, I am not a huge Schiff fan because he is so polarized after his work on impeachment. I love Porter, but her seat is not a blue lock.

Ro Khanna is in a safe blue NorCal seat (South Bay/Silicone Valley). And, like Alex Padilla, has a relatively low profile that makes him more difficult to target in a State with the largest number of MAGAt voters. Schiff is an easy target for the MAGAt machine in California. 

I would love for Kamala to return to the Senate, but I cannot see her giving up the VP role and front runner slot to replace Biden when it is “her turn” in line  

It is time for DiFi to step aside and has been for some time.  Her staff has done a great job navigating the limitations.  

So Barbara Lee or Shirley Weber (current SOS) as placeholders until 2030? 

Assuming she steps down.  She could also just come out and say she's not running for re-election, and then its a free for all primary and the voters decide. 

Possibly, although the term placeholder is loaded.

Weber (74) and Lee (76) do not meet the youth turn that is occurring in the Democratic Party. Karen Bass (71) is part of that same group. All are fine politicians and their service needs to be celebrated for the trailblazing they performed and are performing. 

Newsom created a problem for himself when he promised Joy Reid the seat would pass to an African-American woman. Frankly, it would be easier for Newsom if Feinstein serves out her term, as you suggest.  

My guess is that Feinstein will serve out the term, with her staff continuing to serve California ably. It is not ideal, but preventing further fracturing of the fragile Democratic coalition should be the goal of all Dems in these perilous times. 

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Possibly, although the term placeholder is loaded.

Weber (74) and Lee (76) do not meet the youth turn that is occurring in the Democratic Party. Karen Bass (71) is part of that same group. All are fine politicians and their service needs to be celebrated for the trailblazing they performed and are performing. 

Newsom created a problem for himself when he promised Joy Reid the seat would pass to an African-American woman. Frankly, it would be easier for Newsom if Feinstein serves out her term, as you suggest.  

My guess is that Feinstein will serve out the term, with her staff continuing to serve California ably. It is not ideal, but preventing further fracturing of the fragile Democratic coalition should be the goal of all Dems in these perilous times. 

I agree.  At this point, she will just finish the term unless she is physically unable to show up, and Newsom is bailed out of his promise by letting the voters decide in an open primary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Never been a fan of Feinstein. How could any politician from California oppose legal marijuana much less a democrat?  

That was the first time i got a glimpse at her tendency toward obnoxious wrongness. She was steadfast against marijuana, citing auto safety as her greatest concern. Here, and everywhere in the world, for whatever reason, auto fatalities decline drastically where there's legalized marijuana. Multiple counties reported half the amount of DWI arrests. She had an irreversible opinion based on nothing and hadn't bothered to do the slightest amount of review. Just emotional gibberish as her guide. She knew better and believed her own horseshit. 

She did some decent things over the years. The bicameral bill with Lofgren to protect migrant workers from deportation was responsible and sound legislation. Great. But it's time to go. Like many other obnoxious assholes, she began to believe she possessed expertise in areas she knew nothing about simply because she existed in congress so long. Boorish nonsense behavior. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Chooky said:

That was the first time i got a glimpse at her tendency toward obnoxious wrongness. She was steadfast against marijuana, citing auto safety as her greatest concern. Here, and everywhere in the world, for whatever reason, auto fatalities decline drastically where there's legalized marijuana. Multiple counties reported half the amount of DWI arrests. She had an irreversible opinion based on nothing and hadn't bothered to do the slightest amount of review. Just emotional gibberish as her guide. She knew better and believed her own horseshit. 

She did some decent things over the years. The bicameral bill with Lofgren to protect migrant workers from deportation was responsible and sound legislation. Great. But it's time to go. Like many other obnoxious assholes, she began to believe she possessed expertise in areas she knew nothing about simply because she existed in congress so long. Boorish nonsense behavior. 

She also helped the night stalker in the 1980’s stay at large longer than he should have. Detectives figured out he had a really unique / uncommon pair of shoes and he was leaving footprints in pretty much every crime he did. Feinstein told the public this information in a press conference to “try and help them”, but of course the night stalker himself was watching the news report too and he got new shoes after that.

On 11/17/2022 at 4:53 PM, Voldemort86 said:

She also helped the night stalker in the 1980’s stay at large longer than he should have. Detectives figured out he had a really unique / uncommon pair of shoes and he was leaving footprints in pretty much every crime he did. Feinstein told the public this information in a press conference to “try and help them”, but of course the night stalker himself was watching the news report too and he got new shoes after that.

wait, really?

• 2 months later...
  • Gil Bang changed the title to Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90