San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Puro Pinche Loteria

Kermit

Did not watch the game, but DeRozan's stat line is insane.

MIN	FG	3PT	FT	OREB	DREB	REB	AST	STL	BLK	TO	PF	+/-	PTS
36	10-17	3-4	4-5	1	4	5	8	2	0	2	2	+7	27

I've been a hater (on his game, he seems like a pretty good dude, actually) but if he's going to play like this the Spurs could be on track a lot faster than I expected. Going 3 for 4 from deep and only having 2 turnovers is huge.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Did not watch the game, but DeRozan's stat line is insane.

MIN	FG	3PT	FT	OREB	DREB	REB	AST	STL	BLK	TO	PF	+/-	PTS
36	10-17	3-4	4-5	1	4	5	8	2	0	2	2	+7	27

I've been a hater (on his game, he seems like a pretty good dude, actually) but if he's going to play like this the Spurs could be on track a lot faster than I expected. Going 3 for 4 from deep and only having 2 turnovers is huge.

Great start.  Frankly, the entire team has had a great start and are shooting way above our weight class, but that's okay.  If Demar is playing like this in a month, they you try and sell him to the highest bidder.

All the young guys really contributing and playing team ball.  Lonnie still needs to be more of a defensive presence.  No reason that guy can't average a steal or more a game.  Keldon and Devin look like they're going to be the same guy.  Ultimate team, glue, and garbage (in the best sense) guys.  Murray is looking better in 2nd year off the knee.  Derrick should be back soon.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I know that plus/minus is fool's gold but Rudy Gay was +21 last night. I thought he was the worst player on the floor for either team. He looked like complete ass -- couldn't move his feet on defense, bad shot selection, shitty decision making... just an overall abortion of a game and yet, +21. He did hit some big free throws down the stretch though.

Also Vassell only played 12 minutes but  that dude can fill up a stat sheet...  7 pts, 5 rebs plus a block, a steal and an assist. Guy has a nose for the ball. Go into some foul trouble but that will come over time.

Short turnaround for a 6 pm game in New Orleans who had the day off after getting blown out by the Heat on Christmas. Will be interesting to see how Pop plays this with Derozan playing 36 minutes last night.

11 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know that plus/minus is fool's gold but Rudy Gay was +21 last night. I thought he was the worst player on the floor for either team. He looked like complete ass -- couldn't move his feet on defense, bad shot selection, shitty decision making... just an overall abortion of a game and yet, +21. He did hit some big free throws down the stretch though.

Also Vassell only played 12 minutes but  that dude can fill up a stat sheet...  7 pts, 5 rebs plus a block, a steal and an assist. Guy has a nose for the ball. Go into some foul trouble but that will come over time.

Short turnaround for a 6 pm game in New Orleans who had the day off after getting blown out by the Heat on Christmas. Will be interesting to see how Pop plays this with Derozan playing 36 minutes last night.

Rudy gay was straight garbage. Couldn't control the damn ball shot looks off. Hopefully it's just rust but damn he was bad

11 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They had their chances. Lots of good looks that didn't go in and calls that didn't go their way. That stretch where demar got the t was probably the difference in the game. In the second night of a back to back that was a pretty good effort. That last play though... 

I don’t get him. Be a leader, stop acting like a baby. If you want to get a tech, do it when it’s not going to hurt the team. Dude can be a petulant child at times. 

But then he’ll surprise you with his eloquence and leadership. Human beings. We’re fucking weird.

As y'all are I'm sure, I'm impressed with the first two games, but if our two biggest contracts are going to be nearly useless on the 2nd nights of back to backs all year..... Wtf. It's game 3, not the Rodeo Road Trip. 

Keldon had a very solid stat line, but seemed like every time I saw him with the ball he was barreling into the lane to miss a layup or turn the ball over. Maybe I wasn't paying attention enough. DJM'e next step should be the Kawhi one.... Consistency. "To be great you have to do it night in and night out". Those 6 TOs overshadow a double-double to me. 

1 hour ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

So maybe this is for another thread but I just now realized that YouTubeTV dropped FSSW.  Looks like it's also dropped on Sling and Hulu.  Is AT&T Now's shit service the only thing I can watch it on?  Or should I drop $100 on NBALP?  Do they still black out a ton of FSSW games?

Yes. They blackout. 

11 hours ago, Kermit said:

I don’t get him. Be a leader, stop acting like a baby. If you want to get a tech, do it when it’s not going to hurt the team. Dude can be a petulant child at times. 

But then he’ll surprise you with his eloquence and leadership. Human beings. We’re fucking weird.

He's a different dude. I respect the hell out of him for his being open about depression and anxiety. I respect him for wanting to stay in Toronto. He's for sure a leader and he definitely cares but he's got to check that shit at crunch time. The  person who grabbed him to calm him down was a 19 year old in his second season. Even he knew better. 

10 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

As y'all are I'm sure, I'm impressed with the first two games, but if our two biggest contracts are going to be nearly useless on the 2nd nights of back to backs all year..... Wtf. It's game 3, not the Rodeo Road Trip. 

Keldon had a very solid stat line, but seemed like every time I saw him with the ball he was barreling into the lane to miss a layup or turn the ball over. Maybe I wasn't paying attention enough. DJM'e next step should be the Kawhi one.... Consistency. "To be great you have to do it night in and night out". Those 6 TOs overshadow a double-double to me. 

This early in the season with the abbreviated training camp I would expect guys to be out of shape. Those back to backs are always tough and this one was an early start. The accelerated schedule is going to force more of these too. Throw it all together and there are probably going to be more ugly games than we are used to. 

The thing that impressed me about Keldon the most last night is that he stood toe to toe with Zion down low and more than held his own. On those drives... I thought he got hacked more than once and I love his aggressiveness. Those calls will come eventually. He's going to be a really solid player in this league for a long time. 

The DeMar tech doesn't really bother me. We lost by 3 and were lucky to even have a chance to tie after Adams missed both FTs. If that one point was so important then we could have played better from the start. 

DeMar is inconsistent and almost assuredly not good enough to be the dog on a title team but he works his ass off and shows up to compete every night. If he's remembered as the figurehead of some down Spurs teams then so be it - but he will be a Spur for life and I want nothing but to watch him succeed. 

Long season. 3-0 would have been neat. 2-1 is a great start. Next we get the Lakers on Wednesday which should have been a schedule loss but I'm not so sure about that. Guessing AD and LeBron both play. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The DeMar tech doesn't really bother me. We lost by 3 and were lucky to even have a chance to tie after Adams missed both FTs. If that one point was so important then we could have played better from the start. 

DeMar is inconsistent and almost assuredly not good enough to be the dog on a title team but he works his ass off and shows up to compete every night. If he's remembered as the figurehead of some down Spurs teams then so be it - but he will be a Spur for life and I want nothing but to watch him succeed. 

Long season. 3-0 would have been neat. 2-1 is a great start. Next we get the Lakers on Wednesday which should have been a schedule loss but I'm not so sure about that. Guessing AD and LeBron both play. 

It wasn’t just the tech, it was the entire possession that led to 5 points. He made some pretty egregious basketball decisions punctuated by the tech and he’s lucky his undercut of Zion didn’t hurt the young man. 

31 minutes ago, Kermit said:

he’s lucky his undercut of Zion didn’t hurt the young man. 

Oh whatever. I was watching the Pels feed and even their mega homer color guy didn't have an issue with that foul. If you want to fault him for the technical or whatever tf he did on the last possession that's fine. I'm not going to fault him for trying to play defense in transition or box out against Zion when he's on the floor as part of an all guard lineup.

If you want to light someone up for the loss last night let's start with LMA who had 4 points in 20 minutes. DeMar didn't score well and wasn't super clutch down the stretch but he still had 10 dimes on the night and gave effort for 30+ mins.

There was nothing wrong with that foul. Zion wasn't upset at all. No Pelicans were upset. Van Gundy wasn't upset. The refs reviewed it and found nothing. It was accidental. Everyone who plays basketball even recreationally sees that happen every few games or so, purely incidental. Happens to me a decent amount because smaller guys typically body me up in the paint to try to create leverage. Never been mad about it. It doesn't even register on the "annoying fouls that big guys catch a lot" scale which is why he wasn't mad at all.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Oh whatever. I was watching the Pels feed and even their mega homer color guy didn't have an issue with that foul. If you want to fault him for the technical or whatever tf he did on the last possession that's fine. I'm not going to fault him for trying to play defense in transition or box out against Zion when he's on the floor as part of an all guard lineup.

If you want to light someone up for the loss last night let's start with LMA who had 4 points in 20 minutes. DeMar didn't score well and wasn't super clutch down the stretch but he still had 10 dimes on the night and gave effort for 30+ mins.

I light everyone up. It’s kind of my thing. If you need me to say Lamarcus sucked in your need to defend Demar’s play, well then he sucked. I didn’t really have an issue with Demar’s play other than that sequence, and sorry I didn’t like the undercut. I don’t give a fuck if Antonio Daniels didn’t have an issue with it.