China Sucks

Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

China currently in the finding out stage and not enjoying it.

https://www.politico.eu/article/china-diplomacy-liu-he-europe-beijing-davos-world-economic-forum-xi-jinping/

China turns on the charm

President Xi Jinping seeks break from foreign friction as he wrestles with COVID and a faltering economy

Beijing wants to be friends again.

Chinese diplomats are fanning out with a new softer message for international partners and adversaries alike. Gone is the aggressive “wolf warrior” rhetoric. In its place, a warmer tone and a promise of economic cooperation.

China is like Wal-Mart. A bully when they are in the cat-bird seat to all it's "partners" and vendors and suppliers treating people like a mob boss-- we maybe will pay you and pay you what we think instead of what is agreed to. But then when e-commerce blew up, they had to find a little bit of religion on how to be "charming" as this article implies and rebuild relationships...

up until they were again dominant and could wield immense leverage, like they do again today.

The analogy I'm trying to draw here is that China can't be trusted and will be evil again as soon as they can get away with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

China is like Wal-Mart. A bully when they are in the cat-bird seat to all it's "partners" and vendors and suppliers treating people like a mob boss-- we maybe will pay you and pay you what we think instead of what is agreed to. But then when e-commerce blew up, they had to find a little bit of religion on how to be "charming" as this article implies and rebuild relationships...

up until they were again dominant and could wield immense leverage, like they do again today.

The analogy I'm trying to draw here is that China can't be trusted and will be evil again as soon as they can get away with it.

Someone PM MonkeyCigarette and let him know his account has been hacked.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/02/02/politics/us-tracking-china-spy-balloon/index.html

The Pentagon is tracking a suspected Chinese high-altitude surveillance balloon over the continental United States, a senior defense official said on Thursday.

The Pentagon has been tracking the balloon for several days as it made its way over the northern United States, Pentagon spokesman Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder said.

"We are confident that this high-altitude surveillance balloon belongs to the [People's Republic of China]," a senior defense official said. "Instances of this activity have been observed over the past several years, including prior to this administration."

They're getting ballsy

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

It was over Montana. If you blow it up, what are the odds the debris actually hits a person?

I don't buy for a second that the concern is falling debris.  It's political/diplomatic.  But in my mind I see zero reason that fucker isn't on the ground right now.  Biden has to nut up here.

• Hook 'Em 3

Not to be a wet blanket, but the balloon is already over Georgia and is at an altitude of 62,000 feet. I'm sure there are some rednecks in Georgia who'd love to take a shot at it but doubt even the most committed would have much luck.

image.thumb.png.4105d621d215b4648742309c9b848d05.png

https://www.flightradar24.com/HBAL617/2f098365

Edited by bolverk
link added

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

Disregard my post above. FlightRadar24 has relabeled it. LOL

image.thumb.png.9a3a79b0c32a4de6c4845e904455f3d6.png

a chinese spy balloon wouldn't be broadcasting ADS-B, so would not show up on flightradar24 or other trackers.   

that balloon is from this company:

https://aerostar.com/products/balloons-airships/thunderhead-balloons

a search for that registration finds a reddit thread from before the chinese balloon news  popped

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

a chinese spy balloon wouldn't be broadcasting ADS-B, so would not show up on flightradar24 or other trackers.   

that balloon is from this company:

https://aerostar.com/products/balloons-airships/thunderhead-balloons

a search for that registration finds a reddit thread from before the chinese balloon news  popped

So no flight plan filed with FAA and no transponder? Isn't that dangerous for other aircraft? 

Another reason it's insane this has gone on this long. The full story isn't being told.

Do they need another rod of God? Or is that only happening when they manipulate their currency?

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

at 65,000 feet the only aircraft are military and they know exactly where this thing is and have for days. 

Probably have known for a week, it's so big it took off from land and was easily tracked across the Pacific... Why let it cruise across and into the US airspace at all? 

Also, even at 50,000+ it's still a danger if it's an EMP... 

I don't think shoot it down, I think capture it and investigate it. 

Fill the memory card with tons of Winnie the Pooh and send it back home.

24 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

We should have never known this thing existed. As soon as it was over US waters it should have been downed. What would China do? Complain that their illegal spying device was destroyed in US airspace?

shoot it down over water 

• Hook 'Em 1