China Sucks

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Yeah even at 40,000' shooting at it with a regular gun would be pointless lol

4 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

We should have never known this thing existed. As soon as it was over US waters it should have been downed. What would China do? Complain that their illegal spying device was destroyed in US airspace?

Maybe the admin didn't want to cancel the meeting and figured nobody would even see it. Someone had to call off the military in order for this too come in.

1675494804131417-pol.png

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

And the reason China is buying up all this farmland in the Heartland is so they have somewhere they can safely land the balloon on friendly soil and retrieve it before the U.S. can get to it!  RED DAWN 3 BITCHES! 

5m7hK0c-r05lrsid5GSnqhqA-11VY3OCIFFZs_XInFI.png.219c1e9389fba80ca13f10e2d2b6d72e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Assume this means we shot it down and they're grounding flights because of the debris falling?  Or just because military aircraft are active in the area and they don't want them zig zagging around civilians?

Edited by TexArcher

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Assume this means we shot it down and they're grounding flights because of the debris falling?  Or just because military aircraft are active in the area and they don't want them zig zagging around civilians?

Active Military Operation is my guess. Can we get one of our fly boys to elaborate? That is a heavily trafficked air corridor. 

17 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

there was another KC-135 earlier, this one may have spelled it.  wondering if the balloon is starting to lose altitude and they'll demolish it once it's over the sea.

image.png.45b63d354a29083061690a53b1855c89.png

edi: i see this all been covered in the 15 minutes i've been making lunch

Edited by elfenix

51 minutes ago, Chooky said:

The only responsible retaliation is to go to a Chinese food buffet and shoot the crab rangoons and imitation crab casserole. 

Seriously, though. I'm almost positive this will happen in the next two days. 

I would knock out the Crab Rangoon to be safe but the casserole is harmless.  Except to your bowels.  But yeah sadly, there'll be a hate crime committed on some unconnected Chinese immigrant-owned small business.  And you know who will be on social media shortly to help stoke those flames.  I'm guessing felony assault and vandalism, but i wouldn't rule out arson.  Because stupidest timeline.  

I will say all the way to South Carolina?  This thing has some quality craftsmanship.  Every balloon I've ever gotten from China doesn't last until the end of the party.

58 minutes ago, elfenix said:

there was another KC-135 earlier, this one may have spelled it.  wondering if the balloon is starting to lose altitude and they'll demolish it once it's over the sea.

image.png.45b63d354a29083061690a53b1855c89.png

edi: i see this all been covered in the 15 minutes i've been making lunch

DentalDisloyalHarborporpoise-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The hope is the US can continue to collect on the balloon’s remnants just as was done while it hovered over areas of the US.

This is likely the reason why they didn't JUST SHOOT IT! over land. Keep it isolated from any lingering Bubbas wanting a trophy.

President Biden just confirmed that he had authorized shooting it down on Wednesday while deferring to the military brass on the best time to execute. He made no mention of Kitara Revache being the fighter pilot who shot down the balloon. I know, weird.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

not bullets.  maybe rockets without the warheads to punch a big hole but not damage the payload?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/02/03/when-weather-balloon-went-rogue-two-decades-ago-fighter-jets-fired-it-couldnt-bring-it-down.html

Yeah, was thinking that. There is no explosion. 2.75's without warheads would do the trick. Aim and shoot em. 

It's been mildly amusing reading totally-not-CR comments in the DT thread about the administration being asleep at the wheel over this unprecedented incident.

From yesterday:

Some Republican lawmakers criticized Mr. Biden on Thursday for allowing the balloon to drift for days over the United States and not taking harsher measures against China. White House officials said such balloons have appeared over U.S. territory before, including during the Trump administration.

By midday on Friday, the balloon had reached Kansas, where it was sometimes hovering and sometimes moving at speeds of up to 70 miles an hour, Pentagon officials said. The United States was using its own surveillance methods to monitor and study the machine, including deploying aircraft.

Mr. Biden may yet decide to shoot it down, a Pentagon official said, but he will likely not do so until the balloon is above water, probably over the Atlantic Ocean, given the southeasterly direction it has been heading.

“Right now, we assess that there is no threat, no physical threat or military threat, to people on the ground,” Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder, a Pentagon spokesman, said Friday. Later Friday, General Ryder said the military had also assessed another balloon reportedly crossing Latin America as another Chinese surveillance device.

Mr. Blinken and Wendy Sherman, the deputy secretary of state, spoke with the Chinese Embassy on Wednesday night about the balloon over the United States, and American diplomats in Beijing confronted Chinese officials there, State Department officials said. They and Pentagon officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivities over the balloon.

Pentagon officials said that while other surveillance balloons have hovered over the United States in recent years, this one has lingered longer than any of the previous ones.

Canada said Thursday that it had also detected the balloon and was tracking a “potential second incident.”

The Pentagon has refused to disclose many details about the balloon, including its size and features, making it hard for outside experts to assess its intent and value. “We did assess that it was large enough to cause damage from the debris field if we downed it over an area,” a senior Pentagon official told reporters.

U.S. officials say Chinese spy balloons have crossed over into American airspace in the past, and have been classified as unidentified aerial phenomena, the same category that the Pentagon uses for U.F.O.s.

Another U.S. official said intelligence agencies began tracking the balloon several days ago, not long after it had left China and began its controlled drift toward the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. The official said American trackers continued to monitor the balloon as it progressed through Canada toward the continental United States, and were surprised when it crossed over into American airspace.

I had a buddy that got cornered by a politician in an ops area demanding to be brought up to speed on Intel regarding a situation. The congressperson was basically spitting mad my buddy wasn't bending over backwards to follow their requests. At one point yelling that they had clearance for the high level intel. My friend informed the congressperson "I know you do, but I lack the clearance level to divulge said intel." Politico when off in a huff. Not sure if they ever got what they wanted, but my buddy didn't end up in prison so there's that.

• Hook 'Em 1