Formula 1 2021

wood

Just don't like him or his work at all, esp his "reporting", or whatever it should be called, on the Netflix show. He's the used car salesman of the paddock ... a paddock that boasts Eddie Jordan. I also know a bit about how he treated his ex Emma & his newborn daughter when he joined the SPEED broadcast. He also actually took credit for an idea I gave him once, through friends. Almost forgot about that one. I don't hate him, but he's definitely a POS.

Didn’t realize he was such an asshole. I know he isn’t the greatest journalist After seeing the alternative
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sounds like the bulk of the “delay” came down to setting up the new joint foundation.

From press release: “A significant part of the new agreement builds upon the joint commitment to greater diversity and inclusion in motorsport that was made last year by Lewis and Mercedes. This will take the form of a joint charitable foundation, which will have the mission of supporting greater diversity and inclusion in all its forms in motorsport.”

Toto: “Together, we have decided to extend the sporting relationship for another season and to begin a longer-term project to take the next step in our shared commitment to greater diversity within our sport.”

Later on in the PR: “As a company, Mercedes-Benz shares this sense of responsibility and is proud to commit to a new, joint foundation to improve diversity in motorsport. Opening the sport to under-represented groups will be important for its development in the future and we’re determined to make a positive impact.”

5 hours ago, wood said:

So 1 year? Plans for 2022 coming later? Interesting ...

Yeah...I don't know if Lewis is done or not after this year when he will most likely set the record. But I think toto is gone.  Maybe lewis follows him.  No clue.  But I think the juggernaut is on its swan song.

12 hours ago, elfenix said:

2022 rule change could shuffle the deck pretty hard, don't think i'd want to be beholden past that either.

56 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah I've been thinking for years that Merc will ride out these rules and then gtfo, but wewillsee /kimi.

We gotta play 'em one day at a time. I'm just happy to be here. Hope I can help the ballclub. I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-eyeing-revolutionary-f1-engine-design-for-2022/5367838/

Would be a pretty big risk but with the 2022 regulations coming it may be the best time to make a move like this. They have to do something to catch up to Mercedes. People like to say that Mercedes may lose their dominance with the new aero rules but that is such a well oiled machine I just don't see why they would slip up.

2 hours ago, Noozak said:

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-eyeing-revolutionary-f1-engine-design-for-2022/5367838/

Would be a pretty big risk but with the 2022 regulations coming it may be the best time to make a move like this. They have to do something to catch up to Mercedes. People like to say that Mercedes may lose their dominance with the new aero rules but that is such a well oiled machine I just don't see why they would slip up.

Ferrari has to roll the dice if they can't catch up with their current design, esp if the engines end up being frozen. Merc is likely to do well enough with the new aero rules, but with rule changes as sweeping as the 2022 rules, the pecking order tends to get shaken up.  Anyone can get it a little wrong, and getting it a little wrong would probably be bad news esp, again, with PU convergence and a freeze.

I've also heard similar rumblings about Renault/Alpine's promising new PU design that was targeted for 2021 but is being pushed back to 2022.

Edited by wood

Didn't see it mentioned here, but the FIA and the 10 teams agreed on the engine freeze beginning in 2022 until 2025. Question for the more knowledgeable here:  Why would Ferrari, who rolled out a tractor engine last year and don't really know how their 2021 engine will perform, agree to this? I get why RBR (don't want/can't afford to be a works engine manufacturer) and Merc (most dominant engine on the grid) would support this, but Ferrari? If their '21 engine perform as they hope, won't this lock them in with a dud for '22-25 seasons?

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12215266/f1-engine-freeze-approved-for-2022-in-boost-for-red-bull-as-sprint-races-finds-favour

On 2/12/2021 at 9:36 AM, Dutch said:

Didn't see it mentioned here, but the FIA and the 10 teams agreed on the engine freeze beginning in 2022 until 2025. Question for the more knowledgeable here:  Why would Ferrari, who rolled out a tractor engine last year and don't really know how their 2021 engine will perform, agree to this? I get why RBR (don't want/can't afford to be a works engine manufacturer) and Merc (most dominant engine on the grid) would support this, but Ferrari? If their '21 engine perform as they hope, won't this lock them in with a dud for '22-25 seasons?

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12215266/f1-engine-freeze-approved-for-2022-in-boost-for-red-bull-as-sprint-races-finds-favour

I had read that Ferrari and maybe others wanted PU convergence before they'd say yes. I'm just not sure how that's accomplished in the short term. They got something they wanted, though, or they wouldn't agree. Been busy last few days, so I haven't been able to dig into that. Actually have hardly seen F1 stuff at all for a few days.

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

Interesting that there aren't many photos from the rear of the car. I wonder if they found something with the diffuser or rear suspension and don't want to give it away just yet. Also that floor board looks really simple.

Edited by Noozak
added info

Here's the sliders.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/22/sliders-compare-the-new-alfa-romeo-c41-with-last-years-car/

I liked last year's better, with the red over white rather than the reverse.  And this year's looks busier than last year's, more lines and sponsors I guess?  Of course, they could definitely use more sponsorship money, so...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.data-suggests-ferrari-have-recovered-quite-a-lot-of-speeds-on-the-straights.7htBRyAQYpcUnPXQbzwqqz.html

It will be interesting to see how much of this was true. I remember last year during testing they were saying everyone should be prepared for Ferrari to struggle and everyone just thought it was them sand bagging. Turns out he was telling the truth. I have to feel he is doing the same. He doesn't come out saying they will be world beaters but it certainly feels like they will compete with mclaren, racing point, and maybe even redbull on certain tracks. 

Edited by Noozak

Hamilton on one year-deal:

"Firstly, I'm kind of in a fortunate position where I've achieved most of the stuff that I've wanted to achieve up to this point," Hamilton said. "So there's no real need necessarily to plan too far ahead in the future. I think we live in quite an unusual period of time in life, and I just wanted one year.

"Then we can talk about if we do more, and keep adding it if we have to."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-explains-decision-to-only-sign-one-year-mercedes-extension/5546148/

And Merc isn't just hiding the rear of the car ... Mercedes hiding floor design for W12 F1 car https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merceces-hiding-floor-design-w12-car/5546495/

Edited by wood
  • Like 1