The Beatles - Get Back (by Peter Jackson)

Mileslong

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not a huge fan, never listened to them in album form. Just Beatles channel. 

eta: pulled up the track list. The British album is pretty great. 
american version less so. “And your bird can sing” is a big missing piece. 

True, the US versions were all jacked up. But I still have a soft spot for those US mish-mash albums that had all the leftover tracks, like Beatles 65 and Beatles VI, Yesterday and Today. They had a special fell of their own, even though there were often huge songs recorded years apart on them.

On 10/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Every time I hear "Let It Be", I think "that must be the most beautiful pop song ever written".  It's stunning in every way.

Yeah, agreed, until I hear "The Long and Winding Road" or "Something."

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 2:07 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, when you don't want the preview to end... it might be a good show.

Not a lot of trailers/previews where you like "INJECT THIS INTO MY VEINS".

It's funny - I grew up listening to the Beatles, both because of my parents, and also because they were classic rock staples on the radio (and regular rock stations).  I can't recall a moment where I was just "introduced" to them or anything.   It wasn't like with Queen where I had never heard of them, and then my dad put headphones on me and played "Another One Bites the Dust" and I was like "HOLY SHIT" (I was probably 8 or 9 at the time).

The Beatles were just always "there" for me, so I never made it a point to listen to their entire albums critically or really analyze them or anything like that.

But the last 10 or 15 years or so, I didn't listen to them very much, so when this was announced, all of the sudden I looked through some YouTube stuff, looked at the rooftop concert, looked at some covers and stuff, and all of the sudden...I have a much different take on them.  

Like I always respected them and understood their appeal, but now I feel like i"holy fuck, they were completely in a class by themselves."

57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Like I always respected them and understood their appeal, but now I feel like i"holy fuck, they were completely in a class by themselves."

That's similar to my experience.  They're still a long way from my favorite band, but I can't really argue that they were (a) the best songwriters of the rock & pop era and (b) damn fine musicians.  There's always been something about their sound that I just can't quite go batshit crazy over, but holy smokes, the songs.

3 hours ago, DougO said:

I hate that I may never be able to get a copy of my own instead of being hogtied to somebody's intrusive steaming spying subscription bullshit.

Disney releases a shit ton of stuff on Blu-ray etc.   And I’m sure the parent company that owns the rights will have that as a part of the agreement.  

Wouldn’t mind all 57 hours myself.  

And there is promotional material already being released - a hardcover book covering the sessions  just came out.  

True. Abbey Road would have looked a lot different, though, because much of it was like solo work without the band together. Seeing the production stuff would have been cool. Sgt. Pepper's gets the most hype, but Abbey Road is the better album.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I am happy that they have all of this footage, and fuck it, I'd watch all 57 hours, even if it's just them doing non-music shit.
But damn I wish it had been Abbey Road.
But yeah, cannot wait for this.

Being a huge Abbey Road fan I have done the deep dive to see what it was like and what was going on when they made it. I’ve tried to turn over all sorts of rocks looking for it. There is surprisingly little info out about it in comparison to the mountains written about Pepper/The White Album/Let it Be. Even the book of all Beatle books on recordings, Mark Lewisohns Beatles Recordings it seems pretty straight forward. They got together and made the album. And that was apparently that.
  • Like 1

I'm going to be pretty busy during Thanksgiving weekend so I'm considering if/when I will sign up with Disney+ to watch this thing. I may try to find a torrent or something so I can watch it right, in my own time. If I watch it with my shitty internet, which is a portable hotspot device with a 100gb limit, I will have to watch it at 720p at best, and will take a massive hit on my data limit. 

Sell me the fucking disc already. I hate this streaming shit.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I'm going to be pretty busy during Thanksgiving weekend so I'm considering if/when I will sign up with Disney+ to watch this thing. I may try to find a torrent or something so I can watch it right, in my own time. If I watch it with my shitty internet, which is a portable hotspot device with a 100gb limit, I will have to watch it at 720p at best, and will take a massive hit on my data limit. 

Sell me the fucking disc already. I hate this streaming shit.

I dropped D+ a few months ago because we weren't using it.  Hoping a buddy of mine who shares his Plex account with me has the good sense to put this on there.  I figure he will.

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Chad Jr. and I are watching all The Simpsons start to finish. So worth it.

DCBC, II and III watched them all (or II did).  A lot of seasons are available on YTTV on demand or at least unlimited recordings. 

• Hook 'Em 1