The Beatles - Get Back (by Peter Jackson)

Mileslong

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

One of my closest friends is butch lesbian woman, almost 20 years younger than me. I was born a couple weeks before this documentary was filmed (which kinda blows m mind in a different way). We met and bonded over our record collections. Seriously, She was DJing w vinyl 45s and I was like "I have that one, and that one, and that one,... I better go meet this person." She's kind of a big deal, and executive producer at Apple Music.

Anyway, a couple of years ago her and I were at a party and ended up getting ride back to my place with another friend we both new, a very young woman who was about 23 at the time. 

We decide to have a nightcap and ended up discussing and listing to all my Beatles albums until 7am. Not just like, "Sure, i like the Beatles". Completely nerding out on them. Each one of us could name our favorite albums, why it was better than the others, knew track lists, backstories, etc. What a wonderful night of sharing music. Hell, i still have a sketch of myself drawn by the younger woman that she drew that morning and left with a note. 

So the next day I was telling my friend about it, 20years older than me - A HUGE Beatles fan who got to live through that era. He owns stacks of rare Beatles albums and photographs, including 4 copies of the butcher cover.

I said to him, "A 50 year old dude from San Diego, a 34yo lesbian from Ohio, and a 23youyoung lady from the East Bay, and we STILL talking - hell, raving about them 50 years later." There may be a few bands in that stratosphere, but not many. 

When your story didn’t end in some kind of threesome I was disappointed.  

Just finished episode 3 and the entire series is truly amazing.  The police stopping the concert on the rooftop is brutal.  I mean, The Beatles are giving a free concert of new material on their roof for the public to hear and people are complaining it’s disturbing the peace.  This ain’t like is Billy Bob blasting his radio in his backyard it’s the fucking Beatles.   Also, when they end the rooftop concert and head down it seemed like John went to Yoko to ask what’s wrong or something.  Maybe I miss heard that but my first thought was she was carrying heroin and was worried with all the police there. 

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

When your story didn’t end in some kind of threesome I was disappointed.  

Just finished episode 3 and the entire series is truly amazing.  The police stopping the concert on the rooftop is brutal.  I mean, The Beatles are giving a free concert of new material on their roof for the public to hear and people are complaining it’s disturbing the peace.  This ain’t like is Billy Bob blasting his radio in his backyard it’s the fucking Beatles.   Also, when they end the rooftop concert and head down it seemed like John went to Yoko to ask what’s wrong or something.  Maybe I miss heard that but my first thought was she was carrying heroin and was worried with all the police there. 

This and it accomplished what the group wanted.  It was a near perfect decision to perform on the roof.  No crowds.  Limited bullshit.  Rocket ship.

11 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

And it showed... Look at their work Post Beatles. But I blame Yoko.

I hated Yoko before watching this.  Now I hate her with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.  She’s the devil.  And the way she would just sit right in their own little jam sessions like she was one of the Beatles infuriated me.  And he wired fucking screeching shit.  Rage.  I always thought of the cool shit I would use a time machine to go back and see.  Now I think the first thing I would do is go back before she met John and kill her.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Haha 2

I hated Yoko before watching this.  Now I hate her with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.  She’s the devil.  And the way she would just sit right in their own little jam sessions like she was one of the Beatles infuriated me.  And he wired fucking screeching shit.  Rage.  I always thought of the cool shit I would use a time machine to go back and see.  Now I think the first thing I would do is go back before she met John and kill her.

Damn man. She wasn’t baby Hitler.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Finished Part 2 last night. My new favorite part of the documentary is when Billy Preston comes in to play keyboards.

The look of joy on his face when John was like, “you’ll be on the record”… and then when he was playing was just so fun to watch.

Gonna settle in tonight for Part 3. BartScott.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Finished Part 2 last night. My new favorite part of the documentary is when Billy Preston comes in to play keyboards.

The look of joy on his face when John was like, “you’ll be on the record”… and then when he was playing was just so fun to watch.

Gonna settle in tonight for Part 3. BartScott.gif

Based on the documentary, Billy Preston seems like the happiest guy on Earth.  I think he was laughing and smiling with a cig in his mouth every time they showed him.  His happiness is understandable since he was jamming with The Beatles and I would think that would be pretty cool to most musicians at the time.  The only thing that would have made it look cooler is if Billy had his mid 70's afro and beard going on when playing on the roof top of Apple.  

See the source image

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Based on the documentary, Billy Preston seems like the happiest guy on Earth.  I think he was laughing and smiling with a cig in his mouth every time they showed him.  His happiness is understandable since he was jamming with The Beatles and I would think that would be pretty cool to most musicians at the time.  The only thing that would have made it look cooler is if Billy had his mid 70's afro and beard going on when playing on the roof top of Apple.  

His life story was much less happy.  He was a deeply religious closeted gay man who struggled with depression and addiction.  I don't think he came out of the closet until the very end.

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

John noticeably perked up when Billy started playing, and the others seemed to as well, but John seemed to particularly perk up, especially when Billy was improvising on music he hadn't heard before.

Came across this video of Billy playing at George's memorial, with Clapton and Dhanni Harrison on guitar, Ringo on drums, and I think Paul was playing as well.

His voice and keyboards would have added so much to the Beatles going forward, if they had stuck together and added him.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Came across this video of Billy playing at George's memorial, with Clapton and Dhanni Harrison on guitar, Ringo on drums, and I think Paul was playing as well.

His voice and keyboards would have added so much to the Beatles going forward, if they had stuck together and added him.

Not exactly "George's Memorial".  It was the "Concert for George".   Clapton was the musical director.  It was fabulous...well, the second half was.  The first half was all indian music.  

I saw it at the theater a few years back. 

And, as far as Yoko goes, I got the full-on hate for her when I read Cynthia Lennon's book.  She's reason #1 that John almost completely abandoned Julian. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah agreed that this documentary just confirms everything I’ve ever thought about Yoko.

She must have been just an absolutely positively dynamite in the sack. It’s the only explanation for John being completely infatuated with her stupid annoying ass.

Cynthia wrote that John would read the newspaper as they were having breakfast, and he'd be "Cyn, listen to this, this crazy artist woman is doing crazy shit".  And then, one day she came home to find Yoko in the apartment. 

14 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah agreed that this documentary just confirms everything I’ve ever thought about Yoko.

She must have been just an absolutely positively dynamite in the sack. It’s the only explanation for John being completely infatuated with her stupid annoying ass.

It’s a powerful thing. 

14 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

He did basically take her last name with that Plastic Ono Band bullshit. 

How different is this from The Beatles Anthology that came out in the mid 90s? It was 8 episodes and about 10 hours. Was damn good. I watched it a little over a decade ago
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111893/

This is the previously unreleased story of one album - Get Back/Let it Be.

The Anthology was the entire Beatles story from birth to breakup.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

How different is this from The Beatles Anthology that came out in the mid 90s? It was 8 episodes and about 10 hours. Was damn good. I watched it a little over a decade ago

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111893/

To add on to what Chad said, it's a completely different approach.  You're a fly on the wall watching the band make an album, with the anticipation of playing a show.  There are occasional subtitles to let you know a few things about what you're seeing, but there's no narration, no interviews, and few if any use of stills interspersed with the video.  The restoration of this 50 year old film stock is incredible.  The sound is great.  I was reading that they used AI to identify the band member's voices and assigned each member his own audio track so when they are all talking at once, it's not muddied up.  The attention to detail is incredible.  I have the anthology on DVD and have watched it plenty.  Stylistically, this is nothing like the anthology or anything else done on the Beatles.  It's brilliant.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

To add on to what Chad said, it's a completely different approach.  You're a fly on the wall watching the band make an album, with the anticipation of playing a show.  There are occasional subtitles to let you know a few things about what you're seeing, but there's no narration, no interviews, and few if any use of stills interspersed with the video.  The restoration of this 50 year old film stock is incredible.  The sound is great.  I was reading that they used AI to identify the band member's voices and assigned each member his own audio track so when they are all talking at once, it's not muddied up.  The attention to detail is incredible.  I have the anthology on DVD and have watched it plenty.  Stylistically, this is nothing like the anthology or anything else done on the Beatles.  It's brilliant.

Thanks yall. I stupidly thought it was another re-hashed Beatles rise to fame. this is actually good news for me. Will be checking it out soon. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Thanks yall. I stupidly thought it was another re-hashed Beatles rise to fame. this is actually good news for me. Will be checking it out soon. 

White Album through Abbey Road era is my favorite.  So it was a real treat for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I was reading that they used AI to identify the band member's voices and assigned each member his own audio track so when they are all talking at once, it's not muddied up.  

Yes, modern technology is something, which they would have had this back during Anthology for the two Threetles songs, Free as a Bird and Real Love...

HOW PETER JACKSON USED AI TO STRIP OUT THE GUITARS AND UNCOVER THE BEATLES HIDDEN STUDIO CONVERSATIONS ON GET BACK

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Hey y'all, what's the deal with that 6 string bass that Lennon has?  Converted strat or something?

Looked like a Fender Jaguar guitar to me.  According to Reddit, it's a bass VI.  Never heard of it.

Edited by tigol
I was wrongish.

14 hours ago, veritas aequitas said:

Revolver is the beginning for me. Prior to that I just don't get the love.

I always kind of considered Rubber Soul the inflection point between “early Beatles” and “later Beatles.” 

My vinyl collection starts at Rubber Soul. I prefer the later stuff, but I do like the early stuff and understand why it was so popular.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also - it was super interesting to me to hear how many songs off Abbey Road were worked on, or at least started, during the Get Back sessions. I think we heard them working on damn near the whole album.

Off the top of my head, pretty sure we at least heard parts of:

• Something
  • Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
  • Octopuss’s Garden
  • Oh Darling
  • You Never Give Me Your Money
  • She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
  • Polythene Pam
  • Carry That Weight
  • Her Majesty

35 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Also - it was super interesting to me to hear how many songs off Abbey Road were worked on, or at least started, during the Get Back sessions. I think we heard them working on damn near the whole album.

• Something
  • Octopuss’s Garden
  • Oh Darling
  • Polythene Pam
  • Carry That Weight
  • Her Majesty

Never heard music, but at one point John says something about working on some stuff while one of them is gone, and he mentions mean mr mustard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

• Something
  • Octopuss’s Garden
  • Oh Darling
  • Polythene Pam
  • Carry That Weight
  • Her Majesty

Thought this was one of the cool parts of the doc but didn’t they start working on Abbey Road like weeks or a month or so after the Get Back sessions?  If so, it makes sense they had those song’s percolating in their heads at the time.  

46 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Thought this was one of the cool parts of the doc but didn’t they start working on Abbey Road like weeks or a month or so after the Get Back sessions?  If so, it makes sense they had those song’s percolating in their heads at the time.  

Yep.

Someone posted the timeline upthread, but yeah... they recorded Abbey Road primarily in the summer of 1969 after the Get Back sessions in January. Then it was released in September of '69. 

Then they finally released Let it Be in May of 1970, a good 15 months or so after the Get Back sessions.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep. Out of everybody associated with the Beatles, if anybody was going to go out in a hail of LAPD gunfire, you would have thought it’d be Ringo or George.  

No, it would have been John and Harry Nilsson.  LAPD aided by an irate Tommy Smothers (look it up...).