The Beatles - Get Back (by Peter Jackson)

Mileslong

10 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Banning the Kinks entry into the US at the height of their popularity really hurt the Kinks. And I believe they were way, way ahead of their time. 

Might have saved them from the stadium tour part of the 60s and given them some staying power, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this has kind of turned into a Beatles catch-all, here are a few podcasts I found over the past year or so, some really great stuff here:

Producing the Beatles

Something About the Beatles

I Am the Eggpod

These guys are a couple of class clowns, but the know their shit, lost of great pop culture references as well, maybe my favorite, just for the laughs
Untitled Beatles Podcast

There are several others out there (I use Spotify), that I've subscribed to but haven't really gotten into yet.  If you have any others feel free to add.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, Blutarski said:

A follow up to his first take on the documentary. About 30 minutes long, and he goes more in depth about how prolific these guys were before the age of 30.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:44 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah and as Beato pointed out... ALL of that was before any of them were 30. That's completely and utterly insane.

This was the takeaway from me as a casual fan.  These guys did all this before 30.  Unbelievable.

I think if Epstein hadn’t died they’d have made at least 2 more amazing albums before breaking up for awhile and likely coming back together to make a few albums over the years (assuming they’d all lived to old age).  Sad.

This was the takeaway from me as a casual fan.  These guys did all this before 30.  Unbelievable.
I think if Epstein hadn’t died they’d have made at least 2 more amazing albums before breaking up for awhile and likely coming back together to make a few albums over the years (assuming they’d all lived to old age).  Sad.

They needed a moderating force like Epstein. You can see it there in the movie - they said it themselves.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've seen this at least three time.

2 big takeaways because there is far too much nuance -

John Lennon's sense of humor. I love it. Things are getting tense and awkward, rather than skirting it, makes an inappropriate joke to highlight the absurdity.

I don't know what Billy Preston's experience with the police was growing up, but I'm sure he's heard the talk a time or two. And to be in an angry foreign country, breaking the law on that roof, playing with the most important non-live-performing band with the cops right over his shoulder - that's hero shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Watched Rock Show (Wings 1975/76 "Wings over America Tour/Concert)  on Peacock this weekend.  It's amazing the catalog of music that McCartney put out in the 5 years post Beatles. 

What an amazing talent. 

Denny Laine would have been an awesome addition to the Beatles.

Possibly the best full length concert video of all time.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/31/2022 at 6:05 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Watched Rock Show (Wings 1975/76 "Wings over America Tour/Concert)  on Peacock this weekend.  It's amazing the catalog of music that McCartney put out in the 5 years post Beatles. 

What an amazing talent. 

Denny Laine would have been an awesome addition to the Beatles.

You sure it was Peacock?  I can't find it there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just started watching. My take? Harrison was a fantastic guitar player. Problem was he was a good songwriter in a band with two amazing songwriters. The scenes where he is offering input (“I can do what Eric Clapton does…”) and Paul is looking at him thinking, “Stay in your lane,son”. I can see why they had to break. 
I was yelling at the TV, “Paul, you will never work with as good of a guitar player again!”

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/18/2022 at 10:02 AM, Chad Fuck said:

I saw that. Looking forward to it.

So....I was doing the Amex presale for the Macca show in Ft. Worth yesterday.  The cheap seats, way up in the balcony were $1600...each!!  

I'm clearly not Surly 1%, but I mean, that's like a week in Cancun or something.  What the hell man?

• Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So....I was doing the Amex presale for the Macca show in Ft. Worth yesterday.  The cheap seats, way up in the balcony were $1600...each!!  

I'm clearly not Surly 1%, but I mean, that's like a week in Cancun or something.  What the hell man?

I paid about $35 for seats like that in the Alamo Dome back in the 90s. Last time I could afford a real concert.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

You can buy the man's entire catalog, including videos for less. Fuck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I made a point to walk by the site when we were in London last month. Looks pretty much the same other than being a Abercrombie. 
62C70D9C-6A44-4645-B464-57BE95CCFA6A.thumb.jpeg.73d45840520b19669d2c0a074b857068.jpeg789958A2-E7AF-4873-A2F6-F038732D52BA.thumb.jpeg.6e19fdbfc2de4058c5795197624b004e.jpeg

I also dragged my family to Liverpool to visit John and Paul’s former homes. Highly recommend that if you’re a big fan. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I made a point to walk by the site when we were in London last month. Looks pretty much the same other than being a Abercrombie. 
62C70D9C-6A44-4645-B464-57BE95CCFA6A.thumb.jpeg.73d45840520b19669d2c0a074b857068.jpeg789958A2-E7AF-4873-A2F6-F038732D52BA.thumb.jpeg.6e19fdbfc2de4058c5795197624b004e.jpeg

I also dragged my family to Liverpool to visit John and Paul’s former homes. Highly recommend that if you’re a big fan. 

More please.

56 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

More please.

The only picture I took at Paul’s was with the fam but here’s John’s. They don’t let you take pics inside but you can find plenty online or of course the Corden thing with Paul. Really amazing to be in those rooms and a lot of the fixtures and even furniture is from when they lived there. 
2F8D5A73-4BA0-422D-BE4E-1EDC77435C0C.thumb.jpeg.b273083f7de7719f00ed977349016caf.jpeg95E379AD-0ABE-4E70-B45C-EED0D323361C.thumb.jpeg.f27b61c28dc7d8d06500bbb06d57756b.jpeg

we were there the day Liverpool was playing in the Euro Final and we’re standing out back of Paul’s house hearing stories of The Beatles hanging out there and next door they’re pre-partying and blasting The Stones. It was great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I was wondering why they’d pulled it from the streaming.

I guess you gotta buy it now.

Sigh.

Take my money.

They probably could have made more money if they had offered it on disc earlier instead of forcing people to stream it on some platform they didn't even want to subscribe to.

I already have it downloaded for free. The odds of them getting money from me has been greatly reduced by them pissing me off. 

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any idea if the DVD and Blu-Ray versions have the same (complete) content?  Amazon's descriptions are terrible.  I'm thinking Blu-Ray might be overkill.

I looked all over for any descriptions of extra stuff on the disc version. I think some "collector's edition" has some kind of souvenir booklet or something with it, but no content mentioned. It appears to be the same thing, but with packaging and a lofty price tag.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

They probably could have made more money if they had offered it on disc earlier instead of forcing people to stream it on some platform they didn't even want to subscribe to.

They claim they wanted to offer it on disc in February, but a "manufacturing glitch" prevented it.  They fixed the glitch.

It feels like “the Bobs” fixed the glitch : r/SubaruEmbassy

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Very cool. (Was trying to find iconic clip of George getting out of his Mercedes and going inside, screen shot below....)

690120-get-back_01.jpg

690120-get-back_02.jpg

690120-get-back_03.jpg

690120-get-back_04.jpg

Edited by UTCzech III
damn upload...

On 7/13/2022 at 11:14 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Any idea if the DVD and Blu-Ray versions have the same (complete) content?  Amazon's descriptions are terrible.  I'm thinking Blu-Ray might be overkill.

With the size of TV's that we have these days I wouldn't think so at all. They used nice film stock even they were shooting for TV, and a lot of stuff has been cleaned up visual and audio wise. I wouldn't even consider DVD.

7 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

With the size of TV's that we have these days I wouldn't think so at all. They used nice film stock even they were shooting for TV, and a lot of stuff has been cleaned up visual and audio wise. I wouldn't even consider DVD.

This.