The Beatles - Get Back (by Peter Jackson)

Mileslong

On 1/31/2022 at 8:05 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Watched Rock Show (Wings 1975/76 "Wings over America Tour/Concert)  on Peacock this weekend.  It's amazing the catalog of music that McCartney put out in the 5 years post Beatles. 

What an amazing talent. 

Denny Laine would have been an awesome addition to the Beatles.

He's the workaholic slavemaster most now pin as bearing the bulk of responsibility for the breakup of The Beatles, and also the primary reason (imho) I've never heard a Beatles cover better than the original. Not a Beatles song, and pretty basic, but elevated to greatness by Paul-

• Hook 'Em 3

• 3 weeks later...

I am just now getting around to watching this, have gotten through the first episode so far. I wanted to wait for my wife as she is an over the top Beatles fan but she was a little slow to want to watch it for whatever reason. I'm not a Beatles fan per se, but I definitely wanted to watch just for the historic significance.

It's pretty interesting to watch, as I said to my wife this two and a half odd hours of video is more than I've seen of the Beatles in the rest of my life put together. But I think the one thing that's apparent, the Beatles have been analyzed and dissected to a point there's not much truly new ground to cover. My opinions really haven't changed substantially. I think John is a dickhead, Paul is kind of a douche, George is rad and I want to party with Ringo. But it's neat to see something like Get Back come together (lol). Even its not that great of a song.

On 8/1/2022 at 5:19 PM, G650 said:

I am just now getting around to watching this, have gotten through the first episode so far. I wanted to wait for my wife as she is an over the top Beatles fan but she was a little slow to want to watch it for whatever reason. I'm not a Beatles fan per se, but I definitely wanted to watch just for the historic significance.

It's pretty interesting to watch, as I said to my wife this two and a half odd hours of video is more than I've seen of the Beatles in the rest of my life put together. But I think the one thing that's apparent, the Beatles have been analyzed and dissected to a point there's not much truly new ground to cover. My opinions really haven't changed substantially. I think John is a dickhead, Paul is kind of a douche, George is rad and I want to party with Ringo. But it's neat to see something like Get Back come together (lol). Even its not that great of a song.

Shheeeeeet, doesn't episode two start with the secret recording flowers?

John's a defensive in-pain asshole, but the sweetest of the bunch. Paul is best intention-ed, but overplays the director, George is a wannabe guru, but passive aggressive (his documentary may be the best). And Ringo is the forgiving glue, but is an undiagnosed alcoholic/addict. 

And it's all beautiful.

16 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Shheeeeeet, doesn't episode two start with the secret recording flowers?

John's a defensive in-pain asshole, but the sweetest of the bunch. Paul is best intention-ed, but overplays the director, George is a wannabe guru, but passive aggressive (his documentary may be the best). And Ringo is the forgiving glue, but is an undiagnosed alcoholic/addict. 

And it's all beautiful.

John is an insecure dick who belittles others to mask his own feelings of inadequacy. I begrudgingly respect his talent though.

George has every right to be passive aggressive, though I wish he would have been more aggressive aggressive. By the latter part of the Beatles he and John were clearly the most incisive songwriters.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

John is an insecure dick who belittles others to mask his own feelings of inadequacy. I begrudgingly respect his talent though.

George has every right to be passive aggressive, though I wish he would have been more aggressive aggressive. By the latter part of the Beatles he and John were clearly the most incisive songwriters.

Huh?  Did you watch "Get Back"?  Paul was clearly the most capable and magical writer of them all.  He whipped up songs, great ones, in just a few hours.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Sbbruin said:

Huh?  Did you watch "Get Back"?  Paul was clearly the most capable and magical writer of them all.  He whipped up songs, great ones, in just a few hours.

Get Back hasn't shed any new light on the Beatles, this ground is all well worn to the point of being turn to dust. It's just interesting to watch.

To quote John, Paul wrote "granny shit". Paul was a pure pop writer. John and George ended up far beyond Paul's writing. Harrison was right next to John for the best song on the White Album with While My Guitar Gently Weep, and had maybe the best Beatles song ever with Something and the second best song on Abbey Road with Here Comes the Sun.

I've never been a huge Beatles fan but I have been a fan of George Harrison for a lifetime.

I never get the either or.

I too would take the stones all day long over the Beatles, primarily for the unbeatable groove they lay down.

But the Beatles are still absolutely phenomenal to me. Just insanely talented songwriting.

Life would be much less cool if either one of these artists weren’t in it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I never get the either or.

I too would take the stones all day long over the Beatles, primarily for the unbeatable groove they lay down.

But the Beatles are still absolutely phenomenal to me. Just insanely talented songwriting.

Life would be much less cool if either one of these artists weren’t in it.

I mean I don't disagree with that and didn't say otherwise. This is basically my position.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Get Back hasn't shed any new light on the Beatles, this ground is all well worn to the point of being turn to dust. It's just interesting to watch.

To quote John, Paul wrote "granny shit". Paul was a pure pop writer. John and George ended up far beyond Paul's writing. Harrison was right next to John for the best song on the White Album with While My Guitar Gently Weep, and had maybe the best Beatles song ever with Something and the second best song on Abbey Road with Here Comes the Sun.

I've never been a huge Beatles fan but I have been a fan of George Harrison for a lifetime.

I kind of disagree on the first point. We talked about it upthread when the show was originally airing, but I feel like this documentary changed the popular perception that the Get Back sessions were some kind of burdensome slog that broke the band up. Yeah there was some tension at Twickenham, but once they were back at Apple Corp they were having a great time.

That John quote about "granny shit" was just him taking a shot at Paul when they weren't getting along. It doesn't mean it's gospel. And it's far from fucking true. 

As for the opinion that John and George were "far beyond" Paul's writing..... Ummm..... Ok sure. Opinions vary.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I kind of disagree on the first point. We talked about it upthread when the show was originally airing, but I feel like this documentary changed the popular perception that the Get Back sessions were some kind of burdensome slog that broke the band up. Yeah there was some tension at Twickenham, but once they were back at Apple Corp they were having a great time.

I don't completely disagree that it changed broadly popular conceptions somewhat, but there's two things at play there. One, the notion it was horrid has been dispelled by music historians ages ago. It clearly didn't break up the Beatles, they went on to make Abbey Road. The second part is Peter Jackson absolutely is spinning a narrative here, which was tacitly blessed by Paul, Ringo, and the widows. So it's not exactly an impartial look. Pretty much everything in the film tracks with all I've read and seen over the years. It was just nice to get some more footage of a very consequential moment in culture, which I'm appreciative of.

As far as the writing Lennon and Harrison went on to Instant Karma and What Is Life and My Sweet Lord. Paul went on to Band on the Run and Jet. I mean I don't begrudge anyone their tastes but there was definitely different trajectories here. Lennon and Harrison were still putting out legit stuff into the 80s.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

That insecure dick sat at a piano and hammered out Let It Be while everyone else fucked around, Freud. 

Gonna need a little clarification here . . .

I am a Beatles fan above the Rolling Stones for one stupid reason. I made it to summer school class at UT for History of Rock and Roll for the day they covered the Beatles and skipped the next day...they day they covered the Stones. Didn't care for the Beatles before that class...they were my parents music. Loved them ever since. 

I am a Beatles fan above the Rolling Stones for one stupid reason. I made it to summer school class at UT for History of Rock and Roll for the day they covered the Beatles and skipped the next day...they day they covered the Stones. Didn't care for the Beatles before that class...they were my parents music. Loved them ever since. 

Sorry you deprived yourself so long?
  • Haha 1

I LOVE The Stones. I too have at times chosen the Stones. But one those group wrote some of the sickest songs ever, the other group wrote even more of those songs but also changed the game forever. 

I don't even know what we are discussing here. Paul's proclivity isn't even up for discussion. But with no John, there is no Paul. Without 4 sets a night in Hamburg and other places, there is no Beatles. For a short window of time they were melded into one unit, and when that window of unity ended they made even better albums.

With the help of many other musicians and technicians they morphed the recorded of music onto analog tape so much farther along that they couldn't even replicate it live anymore at the time. And George eventually he wasn't that far behind. He was able to help nurture John along during his bouts of insecure writing blockages. And there is no 'The Beatles' without Ringo's backwards kit and backwards attitude of getting out of the way.

But more importantly, what episode is @G650 on? Because it's 8 hours of most of the footage available. There was no agenda other than Love.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, G650 said:

As far as the writing Lennon and Harrison went on to Instant Karma and What Is Life and My Sweet Lord. Paul went on to Band on the Run and Jet. I mean I don't begrudge anyone their tastes but there was definitely different trajectories here. Lennon and Harrison were still putting out legit stuff into the 80s.

Instant Karma was during 'The Beatles' and it was John (not Yoko) that left first. But if it wasn't for Paul's savvy (somebody correct me if I'm wrong there) they would not have been able to go their separate ways but stay on Apple. 

And you left off 'Maybe I'm Amazed', which easily touches those other two. But in general I agree, I don't know that much or care about Paul's post Beatles. But they all struggled with writing, bullshit, and addiction. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

Idk man I like the wings shit. And good pop songs are not easy to write.

I'm just not a musician and when family and age get involved, I'm just not hip enough to know. I also forgot to add that the film really captures Paul's inability to let go of the top of the pops of 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' but also of 'Let It Be'. And I think we can all agree there's merit to both sides there.

7 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

I LOVE The Stones. I too have at times chosen the Stones. But one those group wrote some of the sickest songs ever, the other group wrote even more of those songs but also changed the game forever. 

I don't even know what we are discussing here. Paul's proclivity isn't even up for discussion. But with no John, there is no Paul. Without 4 sets a night in Hamburg and other places, there is no Beatles. For a short window of time they were melded into one unit, and when that window of unity ended they made even better albums.

With the help of many other musicians and technicians they morphed the recorded of music onto analog tape so much farther along that they couldn't even replicate it live anymore at the time. And George eventually he wasn't that far behind. He was able to help nurture John along during his bouts of insecure writing blockages. And there is no 'The Beatles' without Ringo's backwards kit and backwards attitude of getting out of the way.

But more importantly, what episode is @G650 on? Because it's 8 hours of most of the footage available. There was no agenda other than Love.

7 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Instant Karma was during 'The Beatles' and it was John (not Yoko) that left first. But if it wasn't for Paul's savvy (somebody correct me if I'm wrong there) they would not have been able to go their separate ways but stay on Apple. 

And you left off 'Maybe I'm Amazed', which easily touches those other two. But in general I agree, I don't know that much or care about Paul's post Beatles. But they all struggled with writing, bullshit, and addiction. 

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Idk man I like the wings shit. And good pop songs are not easy to write.

I've finished the doc, but like I mentioned it's not showing anything we all didn't know. It's very well worn ground. I honestly was more geeked to watch Glyn Johns work than anything else, that's something you never get to see.

So I just want to point out that I think that George and John end up more consequential than Paul as songwriters, which people are somehow morphing into "Paul is terrible", which I don't think, and never remotely said. Paperback Writer is one of my favorite Beatles songs, and he has done plenty of other things I like. Plus, I fully believe that his personality kept the Beatles going another few years than they would have otherwise. I'm not sure what on earth you are talking about @JohnnyRageabout the separate ways and Apple thing (or the rest of that you just wrote, or generally your posts, but it's all good man), but that whole situation was a clusterfuck with Allen Klein and the Eastmans, the one side was dumb for going with conman Klein, and Paul was a moron in trying to bring his inlaws in. Apple Records never should have been started and more importantly when Epstein died there was basically no adult in the room. That was the end of the Beatles.

Everyone can have their own opinion on Wings, no big deal. To me they are the kind of band that people who love to go to the REO Speedwagon/Styx/DoobieBrothers show and watch a bunch of geriatric jukeboxes play 50 year old songs really dig. And I think Maybe I'm Amazed is lame as shit. Just my opinion. And it's not just because it's pop. In my youth I was virulently anti-pop, but as I got older and realized I was more a fan of songwriting, and  I found a lot of pop songwriters to be very good. Patrick Leonard is a monster with the stuff he did with Madonna. I love listening to Jay Ferguson's Thunder Island. Ringo's It Don't Come Easy and Photograph are phenomenal songs. All sorts of pop shit. Plus the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson have the GOAT, Pet Sounds is maybe the most influential and groundbreaking album of all time, cited by everyone from Tom Petty to your very own Paul McCartney and widely acknowledged to be a step ahead of the Beatles. The Beatles and Beach Boys respect and rivalry is one of the most epic and awesome things in music, and pushed crazy boundaries. There's a direct line from Rubber Soul to Pet Sounds to Sgt Peppers.

One thing that has been fairly overplayed to the point of myth is the Beatles recording process. They undoubtedly pushed boundaries, but they were far from the only ones or even the most revolutionary really. Atlantic in NY has an 8 track 10 years (!!) before EMI. EMI wasn't even at the forefront of the UK scene, Olympic and Trident were both a year or so ahead in development on their gear. This doesn't undercut their importance or innovation whatsoever, it's just good to keep perspective.

At any rate, there's always some crazy Beatles stans who come out of the woodwork if you try and have rational and nuanced conversation about the respective members, with half facts, myths and outright zaniness. I like the Beatles, I wore out the White Album cassette in high school, I just sat through another interminable Peter Jackson saga, I am obviously not a hater. This is my take on the members, nothing more, nothing less.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been rewatching certain parts mostly to see how they played certain bits, and I feel confident in two thing I've definitely learned. One is I'm absolutely going as Glyn Johns for Halloween. And secondly Alan Parsons looked like a freak as a youth too

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Since this is now the de facto Beatles thread I guess...

I saw this on Gearspace the other day. Apparently the AI that demixes the tracks has gotten pretty advanced. I'm still somewhat skeptical they can do it without artifacts.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, just came to post that RS article.  I've bought all the Super Deluxe editions except for Let It Be (I have so many bootlegs of that period, just not essential for me), but I will definitely be plonking down some cash for this one.  Can't wait.  I alredy have the Mono Box, so not sure if it is the same as what is coming out now, will have to compare.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Niiice.

My shipment was delayed a few days but Mrs. oSuJeff97 just informed me that it was delivered today. Can't wait to give it spin tonight!

I am still absorbing it, haven't even gotten to the outtakes yet.  Just the remix and the mono.  The remix will blow your mind, I'm hearing so many things I never heard before, She Said She Said and For No One in particular.  And everything just sparkles now, the bass and drums sound incredible.  

• Drool 1

5 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

I am still absorbing it, haven't even gotten to the outtakes yet.  Just the remix and the mono.  The remix will blow your mind, I'm hearing so many things I never heard before, She Said She Said and For No One in particular.  And everything just sparkles now, the bass and drums sound incredible.  

Do you have the 2014 mono remaster?

I've had that on vinyl for several years and I'm curious if there is any discernable difference between this new mono remaster and the 2014 version; didn't know if this version was pressed from the same master as the 2014 version if they created a new mono master...?

11 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Do you have the 2014 mono remaster?

I've had that on vinyl for several years and I'm curious if there is any discernable difference between this new mono remaster and the 2014 version; didn't know if this version was pressed from the same master as the 2014 version if they created a new mono master...?

Yes, I have the 2014 Mono Box.  I did just a quick spot check on headphones, the 2022 sounds a little crisper, maybe the bass is a little fuller.  There is definitely more punch to the bass and drums in both the stereo and mono new versions.

Edited by UTCzech III
stupid dates
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Yes, I have the 2014 Mono Box.  I did just a quick spot check on headphones, the 2022 sounds a little crisper, maybe the bass is a little fuller.  There is definitely more punch to the bass and drums in both the stereo and mono new versions.

Excellent. Can't wait to check it out later.

Another interesting thing I just noticed listening to the new stereo mix on Apple Music - I think they messed with the backwards guitar parts on "I'm Only Sleeping" again didn't they?

I remember there were a few differences in the original stereo and mono mixes... specifically there was no backwards guitar part when John sings, "Lyin' there and staring at the celling..." in the original stereo mix but there was on the mono mix. 

They took it out again for the new stereo mix.  I had to listen a few times to make sure I wasn't hearing things (or not hearing things) in my head, lol.

That's interesting. 

Edited by oSuJeff97

8 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Excellent. Can't wait to check it out later.

Another interesting thing I just noticed listening to the new stereo mix on Apple Music - I think they messed with the backwards guitar parts on "I'm Only Sleeping" again didn't they?

I remember there were a few differences in the original stereo and mono mixes... specifically there was no backwards guitar part when John sings, "Lyin' there and staring at the celling..." in the original stereo mix but there was on the mono mix. 

They took it out again for the new stereo mix.  I had to listen a few times to make sure I wasn't hearing things (or not hearing things) in my head, lol.

That's interesting. 

I can't tell that they changed anything.  The mono and stereo albums have always had lots of differences (the backwards guitars in Sleeping, longer fade outs in I Want to Tell You, Got to Get You, Tomorrow Never Knows, different tape loop sequences and volumes in TNK, etc) but I think they remained true to the versions, the same differences then are the same differences now

• Hook 'Em 1