The Beatles - Get Back (by Peter Jackson)

Mileslong

Decided to keep it going and try Magical Mystery Tour. I’ve never listened to the album from start to finish.

Off to a poor start. Love the title track. Always hated Fool on the Hill. Followed up by 3 horrible songs. Can’t lie. I’m skipping ahead a bit. Your Mother Should Know is everything I hate about Paul’s music. Yuck. Walrus is next, so a much needed respite is coming up next.

Penny Lane - gotta give Paul his due. Greatest composer of catchy pop songs in history. I just tend to prefer his rougher side. This kind of stuff bores me a bit. Still. Great song.

Baby You’re a Rich Man.
All You Need is Love
Both solid Beatles songs.

That album is better than I thought. I’d give it a 7 on a Beatles only scale. 5 songs in I thought we were headed for a 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/10/2021 at 5:55 PM, Go Pokes said:

Penny Lane - gotta give Paul his due. Greatest composer of catchy pop songs in history. I just tend to prefer his rougher side. This kind of stuff bores me a bit. Still. Great song.

Baby You’re a Rich Man.
All You Need is Love

That album is better than I thought. I’d give it a 7 on a Beatles only scale. 5 songs in I thought we were headed for a 3.

Side 2 of MMT fucking slams and goes hard:

• Hello, Goodbye
  • Strawberry Fields Forever
  • Penny Lane
  • Baby, You’re a Rich Man
  • All You Need is Love

I know they were pre-released singles, but still. Side 2 of that album fucking rocks.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:38 PM, Go Pokes said:

Strawberry Fields. Duh. Wonderful.

Always thought it was goddamn amazing that the record company needed a single and they were like, “Here you go. Take this masterpiece from our next album that is such a masterpiece that it doesn’t really need it.” 😂

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Side 2 of MMT fucking slams and goes hard:

• Hello, Goodbye
  • Strawberry Fields Forever
  • Penny Lane
  • Baby, You’re a Rich Man
  • All You Need is Love

I know they were pre-released singles, but still. Side 2 of that album fucking rocks.

I knew there was something about that album that made it less than "official".  Probably why I've never sat down and listened to it from start to finish.  

On 12/10/2021 at 5:01 PM, Go Pokes said:

Had the house to myself so I put on my Let It Be T-shirt like a dork, went to the patio, smoked a bowl, and put on Let It Be. So fucking good.

If wearing a Let It Be t-shirt makes you dorky, then I don't want to be whatever the opposite of dorky is.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:55 PM, Go Pokes said:

Baby You’re a Rich Man.
All You Need is Love

i 100% agree with you on Magical Mystery Tour. It's never an album i put on because i feel like it, but i purposely listened to it and it has some great songs.

Damnit.  I'm listening to Abbey Road (Remastered) on Spotify and I'm an asshole...particularly after watching "Get Back."

I don't know how to express my feelings other than to say the "remasters" are the same assholes that fucked with the original Star Wars trilogy.  I still have that on VHS, you bastards.

'Let it Be Naked" is still available.  

Not related to Jackson's work but worth posting anyways:

Here's the cast of participants:

Mark Hamill
Fred Armisen
Vanessa Bayer
Moshe Kasher
Natasha Leggero
Jeff Lynne
Reggie Watts
Darren Criss
Patton Oswalt
Al Yankovic
David Gborie
Sam Richardson
Atsuko Okatsuka
Rosanna Arquette
Brandon Wardell
Ringo Starr
Joe Walsh
Jon Hamm
Brett Metter
Anders Holm
Dhani Harrison
Rupert Friend
Angus Sampson
Taika Waititi
Eric Wareheim
Tim Heidecker
Kate Micucci
Riki Lindhome
Alyssa Stonoha
Mitra Jouhari
Sandy Honig
Olivia Harrison
Aimee Mullins
Courtney Pauroso
Natalie Palamides
Shepard Fairey
Claudia O'Doherty
Tom Scharpling
Paul Scheer
Sarah Baker

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Never saw that before.  Really beautiful, got me choked up.  Thanks for posting.  Enjoyed all the standup comics and musicians in it.  Could not believe that was Jeff Lynne on the corner.  

Reminds me what we've all likely been thinking about since this "Get Back" film came out.  So much incredible recorded music in just a decade.  One decade.  Ten years.  

And if we're honest---not a single note, or a solitary lyric of theirs, ever changed anything in our world.  But their music undeniably changed millions of people to their very core.  And those people went out and made the world a better place.  Because of the weird shit these four guys conjured up while fiddling around in a studio, our home planet is a better place to call home even 50-60 years later.  

I wonder if something like the Beatles came along now...how would we as a society shit all over them and make them divisive.  They were certainly controversial in their day, but in the end---they "won."  Because their music, their message, and their art...was just too beautiful.  It was always going to win.  I worry it wouldn't work today.  But it did work then...and that it continues to endure...as strong as ever...at least with some of us...makes it a bona fide miracle.  And I was here to witness it.  I will pass it along to my children.  And they, to theirs.  Love always wins even if when it gets the shit beat out of it by those that cannot see the light.  

You're not a BTS fan?
Spoiler

1280px-BTS_for_Dispatch_White_Day_Special,_27_February_2019_01.jpg

Just kidding.

Today I watched a clip of Paul on Colbert in the Ed Sullivan Theater. Colbert showed him a clip of BTS impromptu singing Hey Jude. Colbert appropriately and reverentially asked if anyone will ever be as impactful over such on long period of time as the Beatles, and how on earth could a group of kids from Korea know the words to their songs decades later.

Paul said, "easy lyrics." Ha ha ha. I love Paul.

Rubber Soul in the headphones right now on 11 and on repeat.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/10/2021 at 5:29 PM, Go Pokes said:

Decided to keep it going and try Magical Mystery Tour. I’ve never listened to the album from start to finish.

Off to a poor start. Love the title track. Always hated Fool on the Hill. Followed up by 3 horrible songs. Can’t lie. I’m skipping ahead a bit. Your Mother Should Know is everything I hate about Paul’s music. Yuck. Walrus is next, so a much needed respite is coming up next.

Funny how personal it is. I'm not a fan of I am the Walrus but I like Your Mother Should Know.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 6:59 PM, atomheartbevo said:

And Paul was as well.  I still can't decide if he just didn't think much of George's songwriting abilities, or if he was threatened by them.

From the doc, I think he was just dialed in and the only one who was there to write songs for an album.  Now, maybe George had a quiver full of winners, or maybe it was "Something" and a couple of others.  We'll never know.  But Paul was in business mode, and someone needed to be.  Ringo was definitely happy to be a Beatle, and they were lucky to have him.

On 12/14/2021 at 4:31 PM, El Tri said:

i 100% agree with you on Magical Mystery Tour. It's never an album i put on because i feel like it, but i purposely listened to it and it has some great songs.

I bought all the vinyl between rubber soul and let it be back in the 90s and I managed to pick up MMT too.  When I get the amp and turntable back from service (part 2), I'll need to give it a spin.

Edited by dcbc

I’ve been watching this the last couple nights. It’s pretty awesome, but I have to say it still pales in comparison to the ultimate concert doc, Gimme Shelter. No studio jamming, but you still see them hanging out in the studio in Muscle Shoals etc. Listening to playback of Wild Horses and Brown Sugar when they’re all fucked gives me goosebumps. Some of the best music of all time. And the live music cuts and buildup to Altamont is awesome. I’m only putting this on this thread because in my head I was comparing the two films the whole time. It’s no longer on Netflix. This link has the whole movie in parts. Allsome 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’ve been watching this the last couple nights. It’s pretty awesome, but I have to say it still pales in comparison to the ultimate concert doc, Gimme Shelter. No studio jamming, but you still see them hanging out in the studio in Muscle Shoals etc. Listening to playback of Wild Horses and Brown Sugar when they’re all fucked gives me goosebumps. Some of the best music of all time. And the live music cuts and buildup to Altamont is awesome. I’m only putting this on this thread because in my head I was comparing the two films the whole time. It’s no longer on Netflix. This link has the whole movie in parts. Allsome 

That is a great movie and Get yet Ya Yas out is probably my all time favorite love album.

That scene at the end when they’re watching the film of their fan getting murdered by the Hells Angels, oof. Devastating.

I also had the same thoughts while watching this. “What would a Beatles ‘69 tour have looked like IF they could’ve found some competent managers?”
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/14/2021 at 11:22 PM, tigol said:

Damnit.  I'm listening to Abbey Road (Remastered) on Spotify and I'm an asshole...particularly after watching "Get Back."

I don't know how to express my feelings other than to say the "remasters" are the same assholes that fucked with the original Star Wars trilogy.  I still have that on VHS, you bastards.

'Let it Be Naked" is still available.  

Huh? I’m not following. Did they actually remix Abbey Road or just remaster it?  If it’s the latter, nothing really was changed, was it?

Of the various mixes out there of Let it Be, I actually like the Giles Martin mix the best. It dials back the Phil Specter stuff without totally getting rid of it and makes it feel like a more coherent album.

I thought Let it Be Naked was OK but I didn’t like the re-ordering of the tracks (probably because I’m used to hearing them in a certain order) and the abrupt fade-outs was annoying. I thought the best parts of Let it Be Naked was it had the best version of “Across the Universe” and also the inclusion of “Don’t Let Me Down.” 

Remastering an album can absolutely have a significant effect on the balance of instruments, the overall mix, production values, etc.  

I haven't heard them back to back so I can't say, but it's not at all unlikely that some might prefer one mastering job to another, and that the differences might not be subtle.

Oh OK. What you’re describing is what I always thought of as a “remix.”

If it’s just a “remaster” I always thought that meant just going back to the master tapes and getting better/more clear/higher fidelity/etc. version of the same “mix.”

Anywho - is that what they did with Abbey Road?  I know they went back and re-did the original stereo mixes of Sgt. Peppers and maybe Revolver? So it didn’t have that weird extreme separation thing going on, but Abbey Road was originally mixed in stereo wasn’t it?

18 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

If it’s just a “remaster” I always thought that meant just going back to the master tapes and getting better/more clear/higher fidelity/etc. version of the same “mix.”

Well, I am saying that a good mastering engineer can often take a simple stereo mix and effect significant change in the instrumental balance, the sense of space, etc.  Is he manipulating the individual tracks?  No.  Does that mean he can't zero in on individual tracks using smart applications of EQ, compression, reverb, etc.?  No.  He can.  Frankly, it's magic as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Anywho - is that what they did with Abbey Road?  I know they went back and re-did the original stereo mixes of Sgt. Peppers and maybe Revolver? So it didn’t have that weird extreme separation thing going on, but Abbey Road was originally mixed in stereo wasn’t it?

Yeah, and tigol might have had a few while attempting to procure Beatles vinyl and trying to figure out the version to order from Amazon without going down a fucking worm hole.  TLDR...I went down a dumb worm hole and posted about it.  

I have a first pressing of Abbey Road on vinyl and anything done to that that isn't true to what it is is a mistake.  I'm willing to bet they jacked with the CD master, which doesn't sound nearly as rich to my ears.  Anyway, nothing convinced me to buy more vinyl than Abbey Road.

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

MOUSE PIRATE REQUEST

MOUSE PIRATE REQUEST

dear Disney, release the motherfucker on Blu-Ray

otherwise, someone will clone your precious stream and sell pirate underground Blu-Rays

I WILL GLADLY BUY THAT BASTARDIZED CONTENT SIMPLY TO STICK A FINGER IN YOUR EYE

I AM NOT SUBBING TO YOUR STREAMING BULLSHIT

Patience, padawan.  The Mouse never misses a trick to make a buck.  As soon as the streaming drops off to a certain level, they'll release the Blue-Ray with a lot of super extra badass shit so that all of us who've already watched it multiple times will feel compelled to rush out and get it at top dollar as fast as humanly possible.  These people know how to play with your feelings to get into your pocket.  

- Sincerely,

Mr. I can't remember how many different formats I already own this shit in, but if they come out with another, I'll probably get that too.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 12/20/2021 at 9:39 PM, dcbc said:

I have a first pressing of Abbey Road on vinyl and anything done to that that isn't true to what it is is a mistake.  I'm willing to bet they jacked with the CD master, which doesn't sound nearly as rich to my ears.  Anyway, nothing convinced me to buy more vinyl than Abbey Road.

I do too!

It was actually the first record I got when I got back in to vinyl. I got it as a gift the first year when I got my new turntable. It was very well taken care of over the years and sounds freaking incredible. 

On 12/20/2021 at 11:37 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

MOUSE PIRATE REQUEST

MOUSE PIRATE REQUEST

otherwise, someone will clone your precious stream and sell pirate underground Blu-Rays

You subscribe for a month, watch them, maybe record them if that’s a possibility, watch anything else on the app for a month, then cancel subscription.  Why is this not a viable option for you?

I do too!
It was actually the first record I got when I got back in to vinyl. I got it as a gift the first year when I got my new turntable. It was very well taken care of over the years and sounds freaking incredible. 

I have this. Was my old man’s original copy from when it got released. Def not in pristine condition. But it’s the real deal.

66443fafba25c5cf6a7e812e6bc0696d.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 11:37 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

MOUSE PIRATE REQUEST

MOUSE PIRATE REQUEST

I got tired of waiting for a release date and found an evaluation digital copy. At least to tide me over.

Fuck Disney. 

On 12/18/2021 at 8:47 PM, Immaculate Vibes said:

I think Gimme Shelter pales in comparison to The Last Waltz.

Good doc and good thread. Thanks for all the references and comments.

On the Beatles/Stones productivity, don't sleep on The Who during their mid-late 20s:

• 1969: Tommy (double album)
  • 1970: Live at Leeds
  • 1971: Who's Next
  • 1973: Quadrophenia (double album)
  • Several singles between 1969 and 1973, including Substitute, The Seeker, Long Live Rock (released in 1974), Naked Eye, Heaven and Hell, Relay, Let's See Action, Join Together, Too Much of Anything, and I Don't Even Know Myself.

That's the equivalent of seven single albums while they were doing a lot of touring too.

What a crazy era of music.

• Hook 'Em 2

What a time.  I'm in the "get off my lawn" age nowadays, but I listen to this stuff at night.  Through the headphones so I can not bother anybody going to sleep.  And I am just in awe.

My parents were split, but my dad picks me up on Saturday morning in his Volkswagen and we are listening to magic oldies with Dick Biondi in the mid 80's.  I can close my eyes and connect those delta blues and golden oldies and motown to Buddy Holly to the Beatles to the Who to Zeppelin.  I can trace it all in my mind's ear.  I sit behind a mixing board and co-host our own classic rock show from '91-'93 on 88.1FM and can trace everything from Sam Cooke to John Lennon to Jimmy Page to everyone in between.  

I wasn't even alive when most of that music was made and I admit that we romanticize most American eras with too much naivety (film, TV, baseball, et. al.).  But the music itself was pure.  It was a corrupt industry, but the best shone through.  Whether it was from New York to Liverpool, from the Delta to Detroit.  Sure there was exploitation and fraud, but the best stuff got pushed out one way or the other.  Year after year, hit after hit, just sonic gold upon sonic gold.  I don't know they all did it, but I'm glad they did.  I go to bed with this stuff in my head and I wake up it in my ears...and in between---I can hear it in the background of my dreams.  How is that possible?  How did one small era of music get tattoo'd in my psyche?  How is it our second heartbeat?  

We miss you George.  Thanks for the crumbs you left behind...

On 12/31/2021 at 8:01 PM, Reese Bennett said:

Good doc and good thread. Thanks for all the references and comments.

On the Beatles/Stones productivity, don't sleep on The Who during their mid-late 20s:

• 1969: Tommy (double album)
  • 1970: Live at Leeds
  • 1971: Who's Next
  • 1973: Quadrophenia (double album)
  • Several singles between 1969 and 1973, including Substitute, The Seeker, Long Live Rock (released in 1974), Naked Eye, Heaven and Hell, Relay, Let's See Action, Join Together, Too Much of Anything, and I Don't Even Know Myself.

That's the equivalent of seven single albums while they were doing a lot of touring too.

What a crazy era of music.

The Kinks need to be in the conversation.  The magic wasn't as concentrated.  But their contribution is solid.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1