2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

I'm going to be disappointed if Rick leaves Powell in the starting lineup. He is not ready. He is causing the offense to not flow and brings nothing on defense and doesnt get rebounds.

Saw this stat:

The effects have been particularly profound on Luka Doncic. According to NBA.com/Stats, Doncic is shooting just 7-of-22 (31.8%) when Powell is on the floor this season. His numbers skyrocket up when Powell leaves the court, shooting 13-of-23 (56.5%). He also sees a significant jump in his scoring around the basket

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

It is only 4 games in but we are the same shit show on defense as last year. Offense is nothing to write home about, either. Hornets would have scored a lot more (as if 118 isn't enough) but they coasted the final quarter. 

yeah.  I expect the offense to get better, Luka was off. same ol same ol.  good enough to make the playoffs but unless KP goes off 2nd round bounce out IMO if we get a favorable matchup in the first round.

56 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah.  I expect the offense to get better, Luka was off. same ol same ol.  good enough to make the playoffs but unless KP goes off 2nd round bounce out IMO if we get a favorable matchup in the first round.

Luka came into this season looking out of shape. Many have noticed and spoke on it but most downplayed it. Not sure if it was the quick turnaround but he is definitely heavier. 

They are in some kind of funk for sure. Luka is definitely not ready for the season(short turnaround, he was stuck outside the country probably didn't help) but the defense isn't there.

They keep pushing Powell too much.  Seems like they haven't settled into their roles.  

I knew it'd take time...but this is a little crazy.

Can't wait till KP is back, so we can at least see what we really have, and if they need to make moves before the trade deadline.

The backstory of how and why Josh Richardson was traded to Mavericks: ‘He’s as happy as I’ve ever seen him’

It doesn’t hurt that Dallas’ biggest offseason acquisition was one that made Luka Doncic happy, too.

Mavericks guard Josh Richardson (0) puts up a shot over Timberwolves guard Josh Okogie during the first quarter of a preseason game at American Airlines Center in Dallas on Thursday, Dec. 17, 2020.
Mavericks guard Josh Richardson (0) puts up a shot over Timberwolves guard Josh Okogie during the first quarter of a preseason game at American Airlines Center in Dallas on Thursday, Dec. 17, 2020.(Tom Fox / Staff Photographer)

By Brad Townsend

9:00 AM on Dec 28, 2020

On Sunday afternoon, Mavericks fans got a pair of revealing, smile-inducing glimpses of Josh Richardson and what his addition will mean to the franchise as he becomes more comfortable in the team’s offensive and defensive systems and with his new teammates.

The first occurred when Dallas’ new backcourt, Luka Doncic and Richardson, scored 13 first-quarter points apiece and flexed a potentially lethal, symbiotic versatility as the Mavericks went on to crush the Clippers by 51 points in Los Angeles.

The second enlightening moment came minutes after the game, when Richardson was interviewed by the Fox Sports Southwest announcing team, and lead voice Mark Followill said, “I knew things were looking good for you and the Mavs today when the Gunners beat Chelsea yesterday ...”

Richardson, wearing a mask, broke into a fist-pumping celebration that showed Dallas-Fort Worth a lot about the 27-year-old Edmond, Okla., native’s infectious personality.

Now for the backstory: Did you know how it came to be that Richardson was traded to the Mavericks on draft night, in the deal that sent Seth Curry to the Sixers and also brought No. 36 pick Tyler Bey to Dallas?

blank_logo.gif

Please allow Bill Duffy to elaborate. Duffy is best known in these parts as Doncic’s agent and the founder of BDA Sports Management. But Duffy also is Richardson’s agent. Actually, BDA’s Erik Kabe works most closely with Richardson and is his day-to-day agent, but Duffy is Kabe’s boss.

“When Josh was traded [by Miami] to Philadelphia, it was an awkward fit for him just because of the composition of the team,” Duffy says of the sign-and-trade that sent Jimmy Butler from Philadelphia to Miami. “Josh has an opt-out after this year, so Erik and I were pretty candid with Philly that it was pretty unlikely he’d return, ‘so maybe you should have discussions.’”

While encouraging the Sixers to consider trade options, Kabe and Duffy of course consulted Richardson.

“Where is the No. 1 place you want to go and play?” they asked him.

“Dallas,” he immediately responded.

The other backstory already has been told: Richardson met and worked out with then-16-year-old Doncic at Peak Performance Project (P3) in Santa Barbara, Calif., and was blown away by Doncic’s size and abilities.

“I think he was interested in playing with Luka because, A, the ballplayer. Everybody wants to play with a great player like Luka,” Duffy said. “But I also think because he knew him and what type of person he is. That means a lot to Josh, too. There’s a relationship and a connectivity. Josh loves soccer, and Luka loves soccer.

“Sometimes, in this agent world, things work out and you get what you wish for. Philadelphia had expectations. When you execute a trade, you always want it to be a win-win. And this was a perfect win-win for both teams. That’s the way trades should be executed. Philly did a great job, and Mark [Cuban] and Donnie [Nelson] did a great job.”

Duffy also cited the fact that Richardson’s parents, retired firefighter Michael and retired Air Force lieutenant colonel reservist Alice, still live in Oklahoma City.

“He’s as happy as I’ve ever seen him,” Duffy said.

That is evident on the court. Well, it wasn’t as evident during Dallas’ opening road losses to the Suns and Lakers, but it certainly was evident Sunday afternoon, as Richardson scored 21 points and Doncic 24.

“They have an affinity for each other,” Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. “They respect each other as players. There’s chemistry that’s building each game.”

Carlisle said he doubts it matters to Doncic and Richardson that they became the first Mavericks teammates in 20 years to score 13 or more points in an opening quarter.

“In your [reporting] world, it’s a tangible example of chemistry,” Carlisle said. “Great, we’ll roll with it, you know? But J-Rich has given us a really unique element. He has a leadership presence, he has a calming presence on a team that can be emotional at times, and yet he’s a tenacious competitor. He takes challenges defensively.

“Look, we love him. We really do. Really happy to have him with us.”

Some reporters and fans took notice when The New York Times reported that Richardson and the Mavericks agreed there would be no contract extension talks, and that Richardson will become an unrestricted free agent next offseason.

The fact is, the only extension Richardson could have signed was one that worked off his current salary of $10.8 million. He has a player option for next season at $11.6 million. Why, when he’s already decided not to play for $11.6 million next season, would he even think about signing an extension with a starting salary of roughly what he was opting out of?

If he plays as well alongside Doncic as he and the Mavericks expect, things will work out contract-wise next summer the way they’re supposed to, for all parties.

And in the bigger picture, it certainly doesn’t hurt that the Mavericks’ biggest offseason acquisition was one that made their best player happy, as well as his agent. Again, if all goes to plan, it’s a win-win for everyone.

Also remember: If Doncic wins the Most Valuable Player award this season or gets voted to the All-NBA first, second or third team, he will be eligible for a rookie contract supermax extension next summer.

What does Duffy think of the Mavericks’ direction in general?

“I can only speak to the addition of Josh, which I think was brilliant,” Duffy said. “I think they’re in good shape. K.P. [Porzingis], that’s critical, him being healthy, but I think they’ve got a good unit there, and they play team basketball.

“Maybe, over time, they’ll want to continue to add pieces, but I think they’re playing the right way. I think great players will want to play the way that they play. And I think Luka is the impetus of that.”

On Sunday, Mavericks fans got a promising glimpse of the potential backcourt of the future. Now you know the backstory of how and why they were paired.

• Like 3

Yall look like you suck so far this year.  Why is that?

I fully expect you to get right against Houston tonight.  Too much/too soon on the Luka hype? Something Covid related?  Something else? Everyone seemed to have Dallas penciled in as a serious challenger for the west and Luka as the plurality MVP favorite. I have no idea if those expectations were reasonable or not. All I know is that I'm jealous AF about your owner, coach and superstar, and their alignment. 

• Hook 'Em 1