Christmas Party at Nakatomi Plaza Tomorrow

bschoolprof

8 hours ago, mdleast said:

However, if you get one like me (which I happened to do so early Fall and luckily at a much cheaper price) make sure you have your Hans Gruber falling the correct direction per the film

e65fec4639b3aaa3029b02c634a7f021.jpg

I don't make the one I linked to; I just saw it not long ago and thought it appropriate for this thread.  That being said, I see where you are coming from.

I don't make the one I linked to; I just saw it not long ago and thought it appropriate for this thread.  That being said, I see where you are coming from.

To clarify if anyone is looking, Hans is a magnetic piece in mine so I’m sure they can all be turned around however you want. I have also seen a bunch of different types of these online the last few months and the movie nerd in me always snarks that he is shown in all of them (including the one I got) as falling the wrong way. There are also some that are painted or are more ornate on the bottom and one has the explosion on the top.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:59 PM, Jive Turkey said:

in a movie that asks you to suspend all possible belief, those are the two things that bug me because they're not realistic. 

yeah, the entire movie is unrealistic, but come on, don't say your company Christmas party is on Christmas Eve.  nobody does that.  and USC ain't playing Notre Dame on Christmas Eve.  they play every year during the regular season in either October or November.  pick a different game to show.

they're continuity errors that should have been corrected.

if a chick goes to a company Christmas party on Christmas Eve, she’s BEGGING for the D !

On 12/23/2020 at 9:37 PM, troph said:

Haha just finished watching!  Credits literally scrolling on the TV.  Need to find a better way to make it to the beach earning 20%, Hans not quite the role model deal king he made himself out to be early on.

You posted this two years ago.  Had you bought BTCN that day and sold it three months later, you woulda made a 126% apr.  

• Haha 1

Keep in mind also that the coupon rate of 20% would have been tax-free.  And they weren't munis, so the taxed equivalent would have been somewhere closer to ~27% which begins to look more attractive if you're willing to join an international terrorist organization.  

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Keep in mind also that the coupon rate of 20% would have been tax-free.  And they weren't munis, so the taxed equivalent would have been somewhere closer to ~27% which begins to look more attractive if you're willing to join an international terrorist organization.  

Like Asian Dawn?

On 12/23/2020 at 9:45 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

well, to be fair in the late 80s/ early 90s the standard home interest rate was 10-12% and most savings accounts were getting 4-5%...  so the 20% wasn't THAT crazy like it is today ( unless you buy Tesla stock)

did not age well.

What is a bearer bond anyway? anybody?

On 12/5/2022 at 10:17 PM, GoPokes83 said:

The first one was perfection, but the franchise fell off a cliff pretty quickly. From an everyday cop caught out of his element in the first, to some superman, formula 1 skill set driver, all weapons expert that somehow knows how to take out a helicopter with a flying car.

Sure, if by “pretty quickly” you mean 3 sequels later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

A bearer bond is unregistered. Payment for the bond is made to whomever presents it at the time it matures.

Which was really the only plothole in a fairly ridiculous movie.  Hans can't stop talking about the brilliance of his plan, that nobody will be looking for you if they think you're already dead.  Took a local affiliate with no internet all of 9 minutes to get a photo of Hans Gruber.  FBI and local LAPD learn there's no body parts or weapon remnants of any of the terrorists, just Nakatomi employee victims on the roof/scattered on the ground (assuming it had gone to plan).  Somebody has to surface "on the beach" to cash in the coupons.  Even if they bribe a local to do it, red flags abound.  Somebody will see Hans or a co-conspirator on camera somewhere blowing through all money.  A bearer bond has to have its coupon clipped and cashed in person, or at least it did in 1987.  No evidence you died at Nakatomi Plaza just because you blew up a roof of innocent people and helicopters.  And a guy who fucking looks like you is cashing coupons in the Maldives weeks later in the exact denomination/serial numbers as Nakatomi's Tokyo board reported stolen Christmas Morning.  

And oh yeah, this all presupposes that 12 tall Germans on the beach in speedos and small feet, with their lone nerdy Black friend won't stand out chilling on the beach before they even clip their first coupons.  

I love that we still talk about this great movie 35 years later.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The dude who played Theo the hacker (“Hold on….looks like the police have themselves an RV!!”) just died a couple of weeks ago.

On a lighter note, the dude who played Argyle the limo driver was the same actor Ray Charles fired a shot at when he tried to steal a guitar in The Blues Brothers….

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Which was really the only plothole in a fairly ridiculous movie.  Hans can't stop talking about the brilliance of his plan, that nobody will be looking for you if they think you're already dead.  Took a local affiliate with no internet all of 9 minutes to get a photo of Hans Gruber.  FBI and local LAPD learn there's no body parts or weapon remnants of any of the terrorists, just Nakatomi employee victims on the roof/scattered on the ground (assuming it had gone to plan).  Somebody has to surface "on the beach" to cash in the coupons.  Even if they bribe a local to do it, red flags abound.  Somebody will see Hans or a co-conspirator on camera somewhere blowing through all money.  A bearer bond has to have its coupon clipped and cashed in person, or at least it did in 1987.  No evidence you died at Nakatomi Plaza just because you blew up a roof of innocent people and helicopters.  And a guy who fucking looks like you is cashing coupons in the Maldives weeks later in the exact denomination/serial numbers as Nakatomi's Tokyo board reported stolen Christmas Morning.  

And oh yeah, this all presupposes that 12 tall Germans on the beach in speedos and small feet, with their lone nerdy Black friend won't stand out chilling on the beach before they even clip their first coupons.  

I love that we still talk about this great movie 35 years later.

image.thumb.jpeg.61aeea0511fca5e37ff4751d616e4aa4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I watched this the other night and let two of my kids, 8 and 10, watch it with me for the first time. They were educated on why it is a Christmas movie and loved it. And yes, I am not winning any parent of the year awards for letting kids that little watch this movie, but the find worse shit on tiktok and YouTube in terms of bad data feed to a little kid's mind and they can handle it.

Anyway, I work with a bunch of Gen Zers and millennials and most of these assholes have never watched Die Hard, Christmas Vacation, Office Space, etc. They were failed as children, IMO.

The most unbelievable part of this movie has already been mentioned, but an office Christmas party on Christmas Eve has bothered me since I first saw this as a little kid. Absurd. 

Finally, since I've discovered that this thread exists - while Die Hard is of course a Christmas movie, Die Hard 2 is indeed not. It's set on Christmas Eve and that is about it. Also, the notion of a snowmobile shootout, in Washington DC, in December, has to be the most absurd thing in the history of filmmaking. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I watched this the other night and let two of my kids, 8 and 10, watch it with me for the first time. They were educated on why it is a Christmas movie and loved it. And yes, I am not winning any parent of the year awards for letting kids that little watch this movie, but the find worse shit on tiktok and YouTube in terms of bad data feed to a little kid's mind and they can handle it.

Anyway, I work with a bunch of Gen Zers and millennials and most of these assholes have never watched Die Hard, Christmas Vacation, Office Space, etc. They were failed as children, IMO.

The most unbelievable part of this movie has already been mentioned, but an office Christmas party on Christmas Eve has bothered me since I first saw this as a little kid. Absurd. 

Finally, since I've discovered that this thread exists - while Die Hard is of course a Christmas movie, Die Hard 2 is indeed not. It's set on Christmas Eve and that is about it. Also, the notion of a snowmobile shootout, in Washington DC, in December, has to be the most absurd thing in the history of filmmaking. 

Remember that Takagi (or someone else) mentioned they'd just closed a huge deal that afternoon so this was kind of a combo celebration. They'd been working right up until Xmas Eve. The thing that always bugged my teenage sports nerd self was that the annual USC-Notre Dame game was being played on 12/24. Unless it was supposed to be a weird bowl matchup ...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s the second most absurd thing in the history of filmmaking.  The most absurd thing is the actual main plot of Die Hard 2:  the idea that all of these planes would just circle the runway at Dulles all day until they run out of fuel and crash instead of being diverted to one of 30 different airports they could easily reach.   They’re on the Eastern seaboard in the middle of everything, and DC/Baltimore has 3 major airports just by itself.    Why was this even a problem for any plane except the first one that they crashed with the false landing instructions?

IIRC, they had coms locked out.  Those planes woulda hadta just pull out and fly to NYC or wherever.  Was a commercial airliner, circa 1990, capable of navigating its way there?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Seems that a compassionate and professional mentor such as yourself would take it upon themselves to make time on Friday afternoons to help out these kids. 

Japanese-based company run by Japanese people, presumably mostly Shinto and Buddhist.  Not a big fucking shock they don't find Christmas Eve to be the big deal we do.  And as stated above, they had some year celebrating to do for deal purposes.  I'm sure all of us with offices overseas always make sure we are acknowledging timezones, local customs, religious holidays, days of worship and rest, etc.  Oh wait, we don't.  Plus as we learn in that other famous Japanese corporate film of the 1980's with eventual breakout actor start/sarcastic comedy lead, "Gung Ho"...the Japanese expect Americans to put in the long hours that they would expect of their own people back in Japan.  

The real fun part is how did Hans Gruber and his team know about the holiday party?  They were counting on a large Christmas Eve party, how did they know about the big deal closed earlier that day via Takagi?  Even if it was just to be a holiday soiree, they had to know spouses who are unknown variables would be in attendance?  And maybe only a handful of people show up so they can be at home with their families on one of the most festive nights of the year?  So they don't have enough hostages to demand multiple helicopters and enough exploded limbs to seem like the group on the roof ALSO included 12 Germans and a black nerd?  They were counting on B-teamer cops, feds, and electrical workers on 12/24...but what if only 9 people stick around for the office christmas party and half of them are in the bathroom doing blow?  

How did Hans know about the party?  And did he manage to influence the day it was set in order to create the lax ecosystem he required?  And was his intimate knowledge of the building, security protocol, and safe contents based on an inside informant within the company who conveniently sent him the party details as well?  Who was that person and what did Karl do to them?  

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Japanese-based company run by Japanese people, presumably mostly Shinto and Buddhist.  Not a big fucking shock they don't find Christmas Eve to be the big deal we do.  And as stated above, they had some year celebrating to do for deal purposes.  I'm sure all of us with offices overseas always make sure we are acknowledging timezones, local customs, religious holidays, days of worship and rest, etc.  Oh wait, we don't.  Plus as we learn in that other famous Japanese corporate film of the 1980's with eventual breakout actor start/sarcastic comedy lead, "Gung Ho"...the Japanese expect Americans to put in the long hours that they would expect of their own people back in Japan.  

The real fun part is how did Hans Gruber and his team know about the holiday party?  They were counting on a large Christmas Eve party, how did they know about the big deal closed earlier that day via Takagi?  Even if it was just to be a holiday soiree, they had to know spouses who are unknown variables would be in attendance?  And maybe only a handful of people show up so they can be at home with their families on one of the most festive nights of the year?  So they don't have enough hostages to demand multiple helicopters and enough exploded limbs to seem like the group on the roof ALSO included 12 Germans and a black nerd?  They were counting on B-teamer cops, feds, and electrical workers on 12/24...but what if only 9 people stick around for the office christmas party and half of them are in the bathroom doing blow?  

How did Hans know about the party?  And did he manage to influence the day it was set in order to create the lax ecosystem he required?  And was his intimate knowledge of the building, security protocol, and safe contents based on an inside informant within the company who conveniently sent him the party details as well?  Who was that person and what did Karl do to them?  

28e9f350807a318efc2e1810c32be49601f0aad2

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Your takes are a lot like “Guest Lobo” from the prior pages

We both bonded during our revolutionary service in Northern Ireland's New Provo Front and in Canada's Liberte de Quebec.  He eventually left for Sri Lanka to help arm the Asian Dawn and we parted ways geopolitically.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had sales operations support meetings on Christmas day, and that was for an American company based in California and Austin.  I mean seriously, does anyone think Harry Ellis had anywhere ELSE to be that night?  Some family or friends that were just disconsolate without seeing him?

So the Christmas Eve deal-closing party never bothered me.

The Christmas Eve Notre Dame-USC game, on the other hand, has always bothered me.

Even so, just a minor quibble with the Greatness that is Die Hard.

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

More suggestions for Christmas adjacent bad ass movies?  

Lethal Weapon (i would submit that it is actually more Christmasy than Die Hard)

Rocky IV

The Ref and Trading Places ("bad ass" here being funny)

if you wanna get weird with Christmas-adjacent movies:

Less than Zero

Black Christmas (somehow the same director as A Christmas Story and Porky's)