Managing property for wild game hunting

Reagan1k

Just now, Both Tacos said:
4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:
New blind.  Nice and big.  Could actually sleep in it if you wanted to get a jump on an early morning hunt.  Seals up nice and warmed up quickly.

1190820617_Newblind.thumb.jpg.96186f472e2042e0f555c36a98eb6ec7.jpg
Sunset.thumb.jpg.6556fdb1b39b5a165aa0dace83045104.jpg

Nice blind. I would suggest getting it secured by more than those t-posts.

Good call out.  It will be anchored this summer with wires & straps.  

5 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

First load of protein went out today. It was delayed by 2 weeks due to equipment failure. There is always something to fix.

We refilled today.  Range conditions are poor and dry.  Recent rains have greened up a few things.  Low lying areas have some wild rye springing up.  Deer are really hungry. 

14 minutes ago, deadshank said:

We refilled today.  Range conditions are poor and dry.  Recent rains have greened up a few things.  Low lying areas have some wild rye springing up.  Deer are really hungry. 

It’s the same at my place. I’m pumping water into my tank overnight to try and get back to close to full.

I've got one.   We've got a ton of turkeys.  More specifically, hens.  They run the deer around at the feeders, and generally make life difficult.  Since we can only shoot gobblers and bearded hens, what the hell do you do when your ratio gets so far out of whack?    I was really happy to have them on our place, but man they are wearing out their welcome.  

I've got one.   We've got a ton of turkeys.  More specifically, hens.  They run the deer around at the feeders, and generally make life difficult.  Since we can only shoot gobblers and bearded hens, what the hell do you do when your ratio gets so far out of whack?    I was really happy to have them on our place, but man they are wearing out their welcome.  
If you want them gone, go bother the piss out of them at their roost.

45 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

If you want them gone, go bother the piss out of them at their roost.

Problem is they seem to have several.  I know of 2 other blinds that get them bad and they are both clear across the ranch.  I like having them, I just want to get them into check.   I need to get some more people down there to smoke them, is probably the best way to go about it. 

• Like 1

Problem is they seem to have several.  I know of 2 other blinds that get them bad and they are both clear across the ranch.  I like having them, I just want to get them into check.   I need to get some more people down there to smoke them, is probably the best way to go about it. 
Never gone turkey hunting but would love to go if you ever need another gun. Could trade ya a good duck hunt.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Had the same problem a couple times this season. You know what scattered them? The green laser on my AR. It spooked the shit out of them. Wish it worked on the javelinas but they give zero fucks. 

Granted, it’s a very short term solution. 

Edited by Lat22

1 minute ago, Lat22 said:

Wish it worked on the javelinas but they give zero fucks. 

I’ve got a few Javies that are regulars, too.  They never cause any shit with my deer, surprisingly.  One is massive, and is on the list to take a nap when I get back. I just didn’t have enough chances to sit this year to waste on them. I’ll try one of those laser pens with the turkeys.  Right now I’m going to try and kill as many bearded hens as I can (this spring). 3 out of our 7 blinds have a serious issue with them right now.  I haven’t been able to dig too deep into it, natural ratios and whatnot.  I just know we have a lot more that we can’t shoot, than ones that we can.  Was hoping someone on here was a turkey guru or something I guess ha.  I’m at the point where if I saw an old Tom, I probably wouldn’t take him.  

Exhibit 1A in the "Don't Shoot Me" category!  3 years old this season.  No chest, long legs, 6-pack abs.  Should add enough bone to be high 130's as a 4 year old after camping out at this feeder all spring.  He'll be even better at 5 in the fall of 2022 if he doesn't take on a Ranch Hand grill guard one night.

863900042140423_09022021180448034_45 (1).JPG

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is what old, tired, and pissed off looks like.

He's not a spike, or at least not in the normal sense of the word.  He wasn't until this year and has digressed to a one horn curmudgeon.  Very run down and I'm surprised he made it through the storm to be honest.

863900042140423_28022021183124150_2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

This is what old, tired, and pissed off looks like.

He's not a spike, or at least not in the normal sense of the word.  He wasn't until this year and has digressed to a one horn curmudgeon.  Very run down and I'm surprised he made it through the storm to be honest.

863900042140423_28022021183124150_2.jpg

Shit that salty old dog probably didn’t mind. One horned curmudgeon lulz. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Reroofing the well house.  Stripped off the 3 tab shingles and felt paper,  installed galvalume drip edge at eaves, installed Polyglass high temp peel and stick membrane over the wood deck and then galvalume drip edge at the rakes.  

Will sheet it with 5-vee crimp galvalume panels next time I’m here.   

Made it all the way through with no loss of life or limb until I got down and hung the web between my left thumb and forefinger on a metal burr.   I know better than not checking for burrs.  I checked 3 of 4 corners and the unchecked corner got me.  

5A3B38C6-C403-40F7-803A-0D487A654720.jpeg

A781D9E1-739D-44D4-8C23-2456D792BA8B.jpeg

• Like 1

In South Texas we have snared 122 coyotes, 9 bobcats, and two badgers since August.

I have mixed emotions about the bobcats.  I love seeing them and stopped shooting them years ago. But they do eat quail and the yotes we are killing make it worth it. If I could put snares out and not catch bobcats I would, but can't.  I do think after years of experimenting that making the snare loop bigger catches more coyotes and less bobcats.

Our small place 1 hour from Houston we have snared 66 coyotes and one bobcat.

I think predator control is crucial to fawn survival.  And also think coyotes are hard on mature bucks who are run down after the rut -- they gang up on them. 

I love running snares.  We check them every day as we don't want them stuck in a trap for a long time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I love running snares.  We check them every day as we don't want them stuck in a trap for a long time.

I wish I knew more about them (snares). We need some coyote control in a bad way.  And I’m the same way on cats, now.  If it’s a spectacular one I want to do something with I’d take it but other than that I let them walk. We have great quail more years than not though. If we struggled with the quail, it would be another story. 

I remember a couple years ago the Holden’s (on their 1500 page 2cool thread) went on a big predator trapping campaign.  They were hundreds and hundreds of coyotes, maybe more. And hundreds of cats too, tbh. They would have pics of 20+/night several times a week.  They are big acreage like y’all (except leased). But man I was feeling bad for all the cats they were taking. 

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I wish I knew more about them (snares). We need some coyote control in a bad way.  And I’m the same way on cats, now.  If it’s a spectacular one I want to do something with I’d take it but other than that I let them walk. We have great quail more years than not though. If we struggled with the quail, it would be another story. 

I remember a couple years ago the Holden’s (on their 1500 page 2cool thread) went on a big predator trapping campaign.  They were hundreds and hundreds of coyotes, maybe more. And hundreds of cats too, tbh. They would have pics of 20+/night several times a week.  They are big acreage like y’all (except leased). But man I was feeling bad for all the cats they were taking. 

@Johnny Sack Add me to the list with @fattyflattie wanting some snare education on this forum.  We've dabbled in it but never had any success because we didn't know what we were doing.  I'd be grateful if you could drop some tips on this thread.  

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

@Johnny Sack Add me to the list with @fattyflattie wanting some snare education on this forum.  We've dabbled in it but never had any success because we didn't know what we were doing.  I'd be grateful if you could drop some tips on this thread.  

There is no special trick to it.  Just buy snares at the hardware store and clip the swivel it to the fence.  Make the loop about 10-12 inches.  Put the loop in a hole where they have dug under the fence to crawl through.  If the hole is too big, fill it up where the only way to go is through the snare.

I have only done it on a high fence (south texas) or hog paneling, which we have on our fences at our place in Waller County.  So we just do holes where they are digging under the fence.

I also wear surgical gloves when handling so my scent does not stay on them. Make sure you check them every day.

There are some good videos out there on running snares.

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

You don't realize how many coyotes are on a place that has not been doing much trapping until you fly it with a helicopter.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

There is no special trick to it.  Just buy snares at the hardware store and clip the swivel it to the fence.  Make the loop about 10-12 inches.  Put the loop in a hole where they have dug under the fence to crawl through.  If the hole is too big, fill it up where the only way to go is through the snare.

I have only done it on a high fence (south texas) or hog paneling, which we have on our fences at our place in Waller County.  So we just do holes where they are digging under the fence.

I also wear surgical gloves when handling so my scent does not stay on them. Make sure you check them every day.

There are some good videos out there on running snares.

I was afraid you'd say that about the fences.  We're not high fenced and the thought of, or our experience with setting snares seems like pissing in the ocean.

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Other than cost, why snares vs a conibear? They both kill, but the conibear is more humane. Also less likely to get a bad catch and end up with anything within reach torn up by a desperate animal.

I'll say this, in the post I made about the Holden's doing it.  They guy they had out there assisting them had some special way he buried the traps.  Guy would never expose his secret.  But man they were stacking predators like I've never seen.  It was a few years ago or I'd dig up the link. 

• 1 month later...

Mentioned up-thread that we get a lot of what some call velvet bucks, cactus bucks, or other homophobic terms.  Bucks don't develop balls, have little to no testosterone, don't breed, nor do they have the same antler cycle that a normal buck will.

In our area its caused by a toxic plant growing in granite outcroppings that sterilizes younger bucks - most often permanently.

Here is a cool example of their horn cycle.  Buck below stayed in velvet all fall and winter, never dropped, but instead, in Feb., his horns started to rot away from the tips backward.  Doesn't have enough testosterone to harden them and they just finally deteriorate.  He's crossed the point where the decay has stopped and the regrowth has begun. 

He was a fairly typical (velvet notwithstanding) 8 last year about 15" wide with 7-8" G2's.  Withered away to basically short main beams and a brow tine.  Now he's growing again.

Will repeat over and over unless we shoot the steer.  Antlers get more and more distorted and atypical through each cycle.

Velvet.JPG

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Mentioned up-thread that we get a lot of what some call velvet bucks, cactus bucks, or other homophobic terms.  Bucks don't develop balls, have little to no testosterone, don't breed, nor do they have the same antler cycle that a normal buck will.

In our area its caused by a toxic plant growing in granite outcroppings that sterilizes younger bucks - most often permanently.

Here is a cool example of their horn cycle.  Buck below stayed in velvet all fall and winter, never dropped, but instead, in Feb., his horns started to rot away from the tips backward.  Doesn't have enough testosterone to harden them and they just finally deteriorate.  He's crossed the point where the decay has stopped and the regrowth has begun. 

He was a fairly typical (velvet notwithstanding) 8 last year about 15" wide with 7-8" G2's.  Withered away to basically short main beams and a brow tine.  Now he's growing again.

Will repeat over and over unless we shoot the steer.  Antlers get more and more distorted and atypical through each cycle.

Velvet.JPG

I've seen that, my Dad always called them stags.

My younger cousin once shot a six point doe on the ranch we used to own. She had a big body but poor antler growth and Dad wanted that deer culled. My cousin was about 10. It's his favorite story to tell. He shot her, and my Dad was giving him "atta boys". He looked at her and said, "Uncle Mel, that's a doe." My Dad said "no Cody, it's got horns." So my cousin said, "well that buck has a big ol' fat pussy." My Dad, "well I be, I guess it is a doe." Dad didn't cuss around kids, it was all he could do to keep from laughing.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I've seen that, my Dad always called them stags.

My younger cousin once shot a six point doe on the ranch we used to own. She had a big body but poor antler growth and Dad wanted that deer culled. My cousin was about 10. It's his favorite story to tell. He shot her, and my Dad was giving him "atta boys". He looked at her and said, "Uncle Mel, that's a doe." My Dad said "no Cody, it's got horns." So my cousin said, "well that buck has a big ol' fat pussy." My Dad, "well I be, I guess it is a doe." Dad didn't cuss around kids, it was all he could do to keep from laughing.

CHIEF

Yeah - that's a true rare genetic defect - these "stags" have dicks and ball sacks, just undeveloped or underdeveloped nuts and varying degrees of testosterone depending on how much of a toxic load they ingest.  No interest in mating, no aggression, and they get FAT like a steer.  Heaviest "bucks" we've ever shot have this condition.  

Frequency of occurrences depends on this plant's proliferation from year to year and if the yearling bucks have access to it and like to eat it.  Fredericksburg up through Mason are the areas most affected and varies by terrain within that region. 

X posting from hunting thread for views.  

Gentlemen, got a question on land valuation.  Friend of friend just inherited 2k acres in Wharton, not on the river but near. Has 5 bedroom modern house. Assume 50/50 wooded (trying to verify).   Lots of ducks, lots of hogs, several tanks with bass to 10# confirmed caught.   He has several other properties and wants to lease this out. Preferably would be a corp type deal.  Any idea on estimate on acreage in that area?   

eta: hasn’t been hunted in 20+ years from my understanding.  

Edited by fattyflattie

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Anybody have a guestimate on basic fencing costs for a basic 3-wire or 4-wire fence, installed in the Edwards County area?  

No clue.

Oof.  That area is so blasted rocky.  Must be expensive to bang in t posts.  

Why 3 or 4 strand and not just the standard 5 strand?  What livestock are you trying to keep in / out?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Anybody have a guestimate on basic fencing costs for a basic 3-wire or 4-wire fence, installed in the Edwards County area?  

My cousin's husband owns a fence company in Boerne.  He covers all over the western hill country.  I just got a quote for him that was around $9/LF for 1500 LF, but that included several corners, a few H-braces and a gate.  DM me if you want his info.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, deadshank said:

No clue.

Oof.  That area is so blasted rocky.  Must be expensive to bang in t posts.  

Why 3 or 4 strand and not just the standard 5 strand?  What livestock are you trying to keep in / out?

No cattle.  Just 100 acres of old land we have had for decades with no fence.  Once (if) the economy and material pricing returns to some level of normalcy I’m thinking of putting up a simple perimeter fences to mark the property lines and create boundaries for hunting or hiking around.....with the idea that my kids’  families might get some use out of it as a getaway in a few years when their kids come of age. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/29/2021 at 8:06 AM, Reagan1k said:

No cattle.  Just 100 acres of old land we have had for decades with no fence.  Once (if) the economy and material pricing returns to some level of normalcy I’m thinking of putting up a simple perimeter fences to mark the property lines and create boundaries for hunting or hiking around.....with the idea that my kids’  families might get some use out of it as a getaway in a few years when their kids come of age. 

Do you have an ag exemption? Or is the place big enough?

CHIEF