Do we have a tattoo thread?

ernest_t_bass

• 2 months later...

Anchor was a tattoo that a dead friend had. Got it after he died.

I got the armadillo tattoo when I moved from Austin as a bit of an homage to the old Armadillo World Headquarters logo, but with a dead armadillo because the only time you see armadillos are when they've been runover.

The banana is just a dumb tattoo that my buddy who is a tattoo artist wanted to do. He had some food-related flash, and wanted to do the "smart banana" tattoo. I've got loads of stupid joke tattoos. I've got "King Diamond as a Lucha Libre Mask". I've got the spirit coyote from the Johnny Cash Simpsons episode. I've got a "pina claddagh, which is the irish claddagh, but instead of a heart it's got a pineapple. I got the  einstraueben neubauten and rolling stones logo. I'm all sewn up in bad tattoos.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Anchor was a tattoo that a dead friend had. Got it after he died.

I got the armadillo tattoo when I moved from Austin as a bit of an homage to the old Armadillo World Headquarters logo, but with a dead armadillo because the only time you see armadillos are when they've been runover.

The banana is just a dumb tattoo that my buddy who is a tattoo artist wanted to do. He had some food-related flash, and wanted to do the "smart banana" tattoo. I've got loads of stupid joke tattoos. I've got "King Diamond as a Lucha Libre Mask". I've got the spirit coyote from the Johnny Cash Simpsons episode. I've got a "pina claddagh, which is the irish claddagh, but instead of a heart it's got a pineapple. I got the  einstraueben neubauten and rolling stones logo. I'm all sewn up in bad tattoos.

Digging the back work !!

I’m not going to post my back piece because I think the only shots I have it I am fat lulz. So here are some others…

traditiknal Japanese:

spacer.png

traditional American:

spacer.png

Oldest daughter’s name (second daughter on other ribs). Ribs are fucking brutal. 

spacer.png

random new American:

spacer.png

stick and poke tattoo my buddy in Austin did. He is an artist and does stick and poke tattoos on the side. 

spacer.png

There are more, but it will cost ya. 

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m not going to post my back piece because I think the only shots I have it I am fat lulz. So here are some others…

traditiknal Japanese:

spacer.png

traditional American:

spacer.png

Oldest daughter’s name (second daughter on other ribs). Ribs are fucking brutal. 

spacer.png

random new American:

spacer.png

stick and poke tattoo my buddy in Austin did. He is an artist and does stick and poke tattoos on the side. 

spacer.png

There are more, but it will cost ya. 

who did your traditional japanese and your random new american? both of those are really well done. also, that's a remarkably well done stick and poke. I've done a few of those with friends and they always turn out like dogshit. probably because whenever we do them we've had lots of beers....

1 hour ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Fresh today:

IMG_9306.JPG.jpeg

how'd that side feel? smarts, doesn't it? 

35 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Yeah, that was definitely ROUGH.

So.... how rough is tattoo pain ? Obviously location is a factor. I don't like pain it fucking hurts.  I've had my shoulder/deltoid tattoo design que'd up for a couple years now, and am working on getting an appt. in Vegas when I visit the son for a few days this Fall.  Supposedly we have more tattoo parlors in our city per capita than most other cities, but wanted to get it done elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Irish, I got the Japanese one from Scott Ellis, the owner of Triple Crown in Austin. The new American was done by Neil Roberts in Houston, but I think he moved to Utah.

Scott's a buddy of mine. Great dude. 

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So.... how rough is tattoo pain ? Obviously location is a factor. I don't like pain it fucking hurts.  I've had my shoulder/deltoid tattoo design que'd up for a couple years now, and am working on getting an appt. in Vegas when I visit the son for a few days this Fall.  Supposedly we have more tattoo parlors in our city per capita than most other cities, but wanted to get it done elsewhere.

It sucks. It hurts. Sometimes a lot. But if it didn't hurt everyone would have huge awesome pieces. You gotta earn that shit. Part of the body is a factor, but also everyone's different. For me, shoulder/delts have been easy compared to other parts of the body.

I'll say this - if you're getting a big piece where you're going to be getting tattooed for more than two hours at a time, I'd much rather do that in my home city where I can go home and rest afterwards than be in a chaos town like Vegas. But you could also just go out, get drunk, and pass out super early afterwards.

16 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Scott's a buddy of mine. Great dude. 

It sucks. It hurts. Sometimes a lot. But if it didn't hurt everyone would have huge awesome pieces. You gotta earn that shit. Part of the body is a factor, but also everyone's different. For me, shoulder/delts have been easy compared to other parts of the body.

I'll say this - if you're getting a big piece where you're going to be getting tattooed for more than two hours at a time, I'd much rather do that in my home city where I can go home and rest afterwards than be in a chaos town like Vegas. But you could also just go out, get drunk, and pass out super early afterwards.

Thanks, shoulder pain 1-10 ?

It's not a huge piece, 3" in diameter or so, but may be a bit intricate (a cross section of the Pantheon in Rome) a couple sittings maybe  ?  The son has a nice quiet apt. just off the strip, and I can self medicate.

12 hours ago, irishtexan said:

One session. I could throw out a number on pain but you wouldn't have a frame of reference so it wouldn't make sense. But I'd say a 3 or 4 if the ribs are an 8 and the butt is a 9?

There’s an easy joke there but I never would have *guessed the buttocks would be more painful than ribs. 

*I have no tattoos.  

On 8/11/2021 at 11:20 AM, irishtexan said:

One session. I could throw out a number on pain but you wouldn't have a frame of reference so it wouldn't make sense. But I'd say a 3 or 4 if the ribs are an 8 and the butt is a 9?

Yeah I can sort of relate to that. The ass is very tender.  Cracked rib pain is about a 7-9.  Kidney stones, a 9-12.  Sounds like it's pretty uncomfortable, but not super painful on the shoulder............... he said whistling loudly past the graveyard....

Thanks, shoulder pain 1-10 ?
 It's not a huge piece, 3" in diameter or so, but may be a bit intricate (a cross section of the Pantheon in Rome) a couple sittings maybe  ?  The son has a nice quiet apt. just off the strip, and I can self medicate.

That’s a one sitting piece. And pain maybe a 2. Shoulder is nothing at all for me. Full disclosure, I actually enjoy the pain. The endorphins are great. About 2 hours in it starts to wear on you. Then in hour 3 you kind of rally and it gets good again. Hour 4+ starts to suck as you are just exhausted. But then once your session is done everything just feels great.

This is a photo of my back piece. Total time was around 17+ hours done in 4 sittings. The color design came first and then a year or two later I did the black and grey.

d6f0f82434c27a1829bb521e4f5344c2.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this thread.

My body is currently ink free but I’ve been wanting to get a quarter sleeve for a while.  I don’t have a design in mind, but I just want black ink and nothing too complicated.  I’d like it to cover my whole right shoulder (delt only) and come down and stop halfway down my bicep (I wear short sleeves at work and ink can’t be visible).  I know there are a lot of variables here, but what is a ballpark cost of something like this (+/- $1000) and how long in the chair are we talking?

9 hours ago, Assman said:

Resurrecting this thread.

My body is currently ink free but I’ve been wanting to get a quarter sleeve for a while.  I don’t have a design in mind, but I just want black ink and nothing too complicated.  I’d like it to cover my whole right shoulder (delt only) and come down and stop halfway down my bicep (I wear short sleeves at work and ink can’t be visible).  I know there are a lot of variables here, but what is a ballpark cost of something like this (+/- $1000) and how long in the chair are we talking?

Complete fail with the user name

• 1 year later...
Iam getting my first tattoo right now on my left leg from my ankle to near my knee. Never thought I would get one, but this is retry cool watching the process.

Whole leg or just part of that section? What is it of? My left sleeve is nearly done. Approaching half my body being covered. No face, neck or hands so I can still be invited to surly tailgates.

Whole leg from knee to ankle. It’s a traditional Polynesian design that I am getting done here in Papeete. I only asked him to incorporate three things into it that are meaningful to me, but how those three things look is up to him. He commented to me in broken English that this is a big tattoo for a first one. I really admire and have a healthy appreciation for the culture here so I wanted to do something that will remind me of that.

He is using a machine. I read about the traditional techniques and that was pretty cool knowledge to learn. This will take two days to finish from what I can gather. This is totally worth it though. I won’t lie and say it doesn’t hurt, especially where there is less meat on the bone on the front side of the leg. 

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Nice man. Keep it hydrated and don’t pick at any scabs if some form.

Got it. I have crème for it and am going to buy some anti-itch to be ready. I have long pajamas back home to wear. That was a suggestion for sleeping for a couple of weeks. 

Nothing but respect for you and everyone else that has tattoos. I consider this experience a tremendous, but painful at times, blessing. I hope more folks will post what they have. 

• Like 1

Got it. I have crème for it and am going to buy some anti-itch to be ready. I have long pajamas back home to wear. That was a suggestion for sleeping for a couple of weeks. 

Nothing but respect for you and everyone else that has tattoos. I consider this experience a tremendous, but painful at times, blessing. I hope more folks will post what they have. 

The absolute worst for me was my ribs. Each daughter’s name in script from armpit to hip. Brutal.

Follow your artists aftercare instructions. Every artist will tell you something different. Like I said I am approaching 50% covered and for most of them all I did was :

2 hours after tattoo take a shower and gently wash tattoo with soapy water. Pat dry (ideally something lent free), apply a thin layer of lotion 5 times a day for the first week. Second week lotion 2-3 times a day. By the end of week two it will likely be healed or very close, but still a little tender. 3 weeks and you are good to go.

The goal is to avoid scabs. And if you do get some scabbing, let them heal…no picking.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So it healed up fairly well. I had a rash that developed on my left arm that was connected to getting the tattoo. I kind of think the ink might have been the cause. All is good now though and I am glad to have been able to get it. I had minimal scabbing which really didn’t itch much. I had some bumps on my leg when I was using the ointment, but I think that had to do with how oily the ointment was. This has been a really cool experience overall. So much respect for those of you that have several tattoos.

• Hook 'Em 1

Right on man.  Some people are allergic to certain inks, but if it finally healed up fine, then you should be good to go.

I have another laser appointment to remove the 23 year old tattoos on my delts and chest so that I can finish my sleeves (japanese style that goes up onto the shoulder and onto the chest).  Hopefully after this or the next session they are light enough to blast over.

On 3/23/2023 at 11:02 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Right on man.  Some people are allergic to certain inks, but if it finally healed up fine, then you should be good to go.

I have another laser appointment to remove the 23 year old tattoos on my delts and chest so that I can finish my sleeves (japanese style that goes up onto the shoulder and onto the chest).  Hopefully after this or the next session they are light enough to blast over.

Is your pee and/or poop funny colors the day after a round of laser blasting? 

Well, about 50 years ago I suggested to Mrs. Brat that a rose tat on her tit would be quite attractive & stimulating. 
But she nixed the idea immediately, saying something about it turning into a very long stem rose by her elder years.

In retrospect, I think she made the absolute correct decision.