Weddings during football season

pearlandhorn

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The date was 1111.  Eleven Eleven.  Two Thousand and Eight.  Every October 11th, for as long as you both shall live, you need to light her up with a new cat facts subscription.   And when your brother remarries, tell him he's on his own if he or they want a traditional wedding between Labor Day and the Superbowl.

That’s great advice but wasn’t it 10/11?  Either way, I’m following your advice.  You should be a family counselor.  

10 hours ago, markstanco said:
10 hours ago, 6th Street said:
Football season has been largely forgettable the last 4 years due to Strong/Watson/Bedford and Tim Beck.  I was at a wedding in Tiburon last fall during Texas-OU but it wasn't a big deal since it was a likely loss.
Streamed the game briefly on my phone during the first half when we were getting pummeled but nothing really to see. Watched the 2H comeback at a bar next to the venue only to watch Brandon Jones trip on his dick at the end. 

Read more  

Wont make a shit but too bad CDC and herman wont see this is how fans see the game now.

I think they are aware of the growing fan apathy given large chunks of the stadium were empty last year 

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2018 at 3:45 PM, kevwun said:

I got married on the day of a certain Kansas game.  That worked out real nice.

Didn't see this before. I got married on the day of the Kansas game in '04. The ceremony at All Saints' across from SRD and the reception was at the Alumni Center.

Vince's magic saved my marriage before it began, since I would have most certainly been a sulky bitch the rest of the day had we lost.

Weddings are the shit. Especially during football season. Your night isnt ruined if you watch your team lose in heartbreaking fashion, you get to see old friends, if youre single you have the pick of the crop of available bachelor or bachelorettes, food is usually comped and if theres an open bar-more fuel to the fire.

What else do you do by yourself on a saturday night when texas gets their shit pushed in? Talk on surly by yourself? Sounds boring af. 

1 hour ago, softlynow said:

Didn't see this before. I got married on the day of the Kansas game in '04. The ceremony at All Saints' across from SRD and the reception was at the Alumni Center.

Vince's magic saved my marriage before it began, since I would have most certainly been a sulky bitch the rest of the day had we lost.

The food, especially the raw bar, at your reception was all kinds of kick ass.

29 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

If we are actually friends, you know I go to every home game. If you invite me to be in your wedding, and it's a UT game day, we aren't really good friends and you shouldnt have asked.

If you haven't asked me to be in your wedding, I'm not coming. If it is your first wedding, I'll buy a gift. After the first, you are a grown ass man, buy your own shit. If you are over 30, you're a grown ass man, buy your own shit.

If you don't like my rules, we don't have to be friends.

I don't have any children.

I would say this quote should be titled as: "Man Rules"...

I got married in Vegas last year on TX/OU day. Wasn't preferred but that's how it worked out. My parents even joked about boycotting. The game was at 12:30 PST and the ceremony wasnt until 7 so I had my groomsmen up in my suite watching the game and the Astros-Yankmees playoff game with plenty of beer; at least the Stros won.

Had a great time that night with open bar reception and spent the next morning gambling on NFL games. Point is, weddings and football can coincide

6 hours ago, Bobby Light said:

I got married in Vegas last year on TX/OU day. Wasn't preferred but that's how it worked out. My parents even joked about boycotting. The game was at 12:30 PST and the ceremony wasnt until 7 so I had my groomsmen up in my suite watching the game and the Astros-Yankmees playoff game with plenty of beer; at least the Stros won.

Had a great time that night with open bar reception and spent the next morning gambling on NFL games. Point is, weddings and football can coincide

Hey if you find the right dude, it's probably gonna work out alright.

• Like 1

My adopted niece had her wedding last season on the 3rd Saturday in Oct. the traditional day for Bama vs Tenn. I had to take my parents. At least there is always DVR. Of course the marriage lasted less time than college football season. She is also a barn graduate, the only one in the family.

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Weddings are the shit. Especially during football season. Your night isnt ruined if you watch your team lose in heartbreaking fashion, you get to see old friends, if youre single you have the pick of the crop of available bachelor or bachelorettes, food is usually comped and if theres an open bar-more fuel to the fire.

What else do you do by yourself on a saturday night when texas gets their shit pushed in? Talk on surly by yourself? Sounds boring af. 

To summarize, you're saying that weddings during football season are especially great?  And you mentioned "if the food is usually comped and if there's an open-bar".  What planet do you live on that you would even entertain the notion of attending a wedding on an Autumn Saturday without  an open bar and free food?  It leads me to believe that you've,  and probably more than once, willingly attended a wedding on a football Saturday where you also had to pay for your own food and alcohol.  You're into some sick-ass masochism good sir.  I don't know who your friends and family are, but inviting people to weddings during football season and then presenting them with a fucking tab at the end of the night is some sick shit.

9 hours ago, Slade said:

After the Maryland game I think I'll be attending more weddings this year during football season. 

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

To summarize, you're saying that weddings during football season are especially great?  And you mentioned "if the food is usually comped and if there's an open-bar".  What planet do you live on that you would even entertain the notion of attending a wedding on an Autumn Saturday without  an open bar and free food?  It leads me to believe that you've,  and probably more than once, willingly attended a wedding on a football Saturday where you also had to pay for your own food and alcohol.  You're into some sick-ass masochism good sir.  I don't know who your friends and family are, but inviting people to weddings during football season and then presenting them with a fucking tab at the end of the night is some sick shit.

Maybe you should subscribe to slades newsletter before you jump all over my shit. 

Had a friend have one.  You could see the people in the cars on the way to the country club reacting to scores in the cars ahead of us since the game started just after the wedding ceremony ended.  Got to the country club and I made a beeline for the men's locker room where eventually I was dicovered/busted watching the game.  Shortly thereafter, the bride's dad set up a big screen in the ballroom, which we watched while he danced with his daughter.  Hook em.

This. The precedent setting period in the marriage is already playing out. You give no quarter to this nonsense for the first few years of marriage and you set the table for the rest of your life together.  If you fold now, you only have yourself to blames for the coming years.  

Truth. I didn't give my wife an anniversary present for the first 3 years. On the 4th year I gave her a pack of gum and a card and she was happy about it. Now she is happy if I tell her happy birthday on the right day.
Got to set those rules and expectations early.

And this guy ain't no friend. Have your wedding whenever you want but if you invite me therefore putting pressure on me to come to a wedding on game day then fuck you.

We got married 10 years ago during football season. This is when we were still relevant, and would crush Rice into the ground. My UT friends were not terribly happy, but I gave them unlimited beer, so there’s that.

One of my old church friends got married on TX/OU weekend. His wife is from Canada and didn’t understand, and he was never one to say no. EVERYONE was upset; but went anyway. This was before iPhones, and we had to check the score on our flip phones (the horror).

The pastor was somewhat understanding but asked us to put away our phones, while he promised to keep it short. It was a shit year anyway, and I’m glad I went to the wedding instead of watching the slaughter. 

I watched the '98 UT/Ok state game in the car on my Sony Watchman while my wife's youngest sister got married. We won; they're divorced.

Had a night wedding last Saturday by 2 UT grads no less. Thought it be great to celebrate our victory with free booze, but nooooo Tom Herman.

• Like 1

I got married during the football season in Austin.  The wedding was outside and the wife had 2 requests:  she didn't want to sweat her ass off, nor did she want to freeze it off.  That gives you a window of Oct-Nov and Mar-Apr to have somewhat of a guarantee of decent weather.  It can get hot in May, and it can get cold in February.  The Mar-Apr window was eliminated due to us not wanting to wait an extra 5 months.  Dates that were automatically eliminated were TX/OU and Thanksgiving.  ACL and F1 race weekend were eliminated because hotels were crazy expensive.  Then it gets tricky.  The wedding was in the evening, so looking at the schedule a year in advance, you have to try and accurately predict the kickoff time.  LHN complicates this is there are a few contenders every year for the LHN conference game. I made my best guess, and picked a date (there were only 2 to choose from when factoring in venue availability).   Fortunately, I guessed correctly and we got an 11:30 kick.  Most friends/family went to the game and then came to the wedding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I got married during the football season in Austin.  The wedding was outside and the wife had 2 requests:  she didn't want to sweat her ass off, nor did she want to freeze it off.  That gives you a window of Oct-Nov and Mar-Apr to have somewhat of a guarantee of decent weather.  It can get hot in May, and it can get cold in February.  The Mar-Apr window was eliminated due to us not wanting to wait an extra 5 months.  Dates that were automatically eliminated were TX/OU and Thanksgiving.  ACL and F1 race weekend were eliminated because hotels were crazy expensive.  Then it gets tricky.  The wedding was in the evening, so looking at the schedule a year in advance, you have to try and accurately predict the kickoff time.  LHN complicates this is there are a few contenders every year for the LHN conference game. I made my best guess, and picked a date (there were only 2 to choose from when factoring in venue availability).   Fortunately, I guessed correctly and we got an 11:30 kick.  Most friends/family went to the game and then came to the wedding.

all that trouble and the answer was don't get married. 

• Fuck You 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 10:19 AM, CHIEF said:

The Niece scheduled her wedding on Texas/USC weekend, after figuring out that about 60% of the RSVPs said they would not be attending, she moved it to the following weekend. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's Texas/TCU weekend so things won't be a changin'. She needs to have a floating start time to schedule around the game.

CHIEF

Welp, guess who got fucked out of attending this game. Stayed at the tailgate until early 3rd quarter. Only redeeming quality was the high end early 20's ass at the wedding. Went to the MILs house and watched it all over again......shit.

CHIEF

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 7:36 AM, bornbama1 said:

My adopted niece had her wedding last season on the 3rd Saturday in Oct. the traditional day for Bama vs Tenn. I had to take my parents. At least there is always DVR. Of course the marriage lasted less time than college football season. She is also a barn graduate, the only one in the family.

I have a csb that relates to this:

A friend of mine who lives in Alabama told me that years ago one of her best friends planned to get married during the Iron Bowl, in Tuscaloosa. Her parents told her not to schedule it for that day and move it to the bye week (they never missed a Bama home game) and she still planned it on gameday thinking that they were full of shit and of course would show up. 

Long story short, on the day of her wedding, her parents are nowhere to be found. They kept their word, and were at the game. 

Her parents did enjoy the reception, however. 

I have to attend a wedding this fall in October. I’m only going because it’s one of my best friends. I asked him why he scheduled it during football season and all he says is “oops.” Oops?  Are you fucking kidding me? It better not conflict with the Texas game. Thank god it’s in late October and not during the Red River shootout, but still...
Red river what? Fuck off brent.

If you cant get out of going, playstation vue is your friend. psvue.com

Got all the channels including LHN (so you can get your Lowell Galindo fix) and you can stream it on your phone. If you got signal you are golden just turn the sound down or use headphones and if a play is good and you yell just whoop afterward and they will think you are aggy.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:54 PM, conVINCEd said:

This is how it's done, gents. 

If you can't figure out how to schedule around football you're a moron. 

If you can't convince your fiance to take football into consideration when scheduling, prob a red flag there. 

I've been a groomsman for 3 fall weddings the last 2 years, all of whom were my roommates at UT. They at least chose uninteresting matchups during a horrible era, I guess. For non-marquee early games and evening weddings it has actually worked out pretty well, so long as beer and a TV are available. I was considerate enough to get married in April. The out of nowhere 40 degree weather in the hill country that day was unexpected, but at least nobody had to secretly watch games on their phone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

I've been a groomsman for 3 fall weddings the last 2 years, all of whom were my roommates at UT. They at least chose uninteresting matchups during a horrible era, I guess. For non-marquee early games and evening weddings it has actually worked out pretty well, so long as beer and a TV are available. I was considerate enough to get married in April. The out of nowhere 40 degree weather in the hill country that day was unexpected, but at least nobody had to secretly watch games on their phone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Even April has it's landmine weekend

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

This is how it's done, gents. 

If you can't figure out how to schedule around football you're a moron. 

If you can't convince your fiance to take football into consideration when scheduling, prob a red flag there. 

Its pretty fucking easy to not get married or have kids during football season. People acting like theyre moving mountians or some shit

14 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

My niece's bday is at 10am this Sat in Houston.  I guess I'll try to record the game, but you know some asshole will blurt out the score. 

Good. That's what you deserve for watching the Texas/OU game on tape delay.

Your niece will have other birthdays.